Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always hate the subjective questions - "What is your favourite ____?" Well, I now have to remember when I set those questions up, and also remember what my favourite ____ of that time is. Other uunacceptable questions are "Name a memorable ____" because ironically by the time the question comes up I will have forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When you're a houseguest and your host needs to set 4-5 alarms to wake up and you're wide awake by the first blast and your host is not.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

BioEnchanted posted:

I always hate the subjective questions - "What is your favourite ____?" Well, I now have to remember when I set those questions up, and also remember what my favourite ____ of that time is. Other uunacceptable questions are "Name a memorable ____" because ironically by the time the question comes up I will have forgotten.

I just wind up mentally rewriting those questions to something I CAN remember-- like "What make and model was your first car?" becomes "What did you call your first car when you were angry at it?" (Not real examples, just the first thing coming to mind.) I also have the delusion that it makes them harder to guess, just incase I befriend a real jerk who tries mining my information to answer my security questions.

Of course, it's about a 50/50 chance that I'll forget I actually used my clever little scheme, so it's kind of a crapshoot either way.

But the WORST is when they make you select which question you answered, too, and capitalization/punctuation counts! Chances are I'd probably think of the answer if I knew you asked me for my favorite teacher, but now I have to remember that I even CHOSE that question out of the 50 offered, and then have to remember whether I typed 'Ms. Smith' or 'Ms Smith' or 'ms smith' or 'ms. smith'. And they never give you more than one chance.

I hate security questions.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I definitely share the hate for security questions - most of the time I think I'll never need them so I just type a nonsense answer in and I can never remember what I typed.

Password rules in general bother me too. There's one service I use that requires a password with at least 9 characters and a mix of upper/lower case, numbers, and at least 2 special characters with no two same characters in a row. You also have to change it once a year and can never reuse an old one. I really don't think my old emails need that level of security.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Password rules in general bother me too. There's one service I use that requires a password with at least 9 characters and a mix of upper/lower case, numbers, and at least 2 special characters with no two same characters in a row. You also have to change it once a year and can never reuse an old one. I really don't think my old emails need that level of security.

I have one password that needs to be changed every three months, can't be any password I've ever used for it before (so you can't just cycle between a small number), and can't be too similar (so you can't just increment a number at the end). It's the loving worst. I literally have the current password written in a text document on my desktop, so it's secure too. :downs:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tarantula posted:

People being late irritates the poo poo out of me, I always do my best to get somewhere a minimum of 15 minutes early. My D&D group drives me insane with their inability to show up on time and that includes our DM, it's made even worse because the group usually gets here 30 minutes after the proposed start time (that was agreed on a week before) and takes a full hour to show up. I've taken to the habit of just putting a movie on and telling them they can wait for me to "just finish this part I really like this part of the movie".

When I'm going to an event at a place I've never been to, I aim for 30-45 minutes early because I am extremely terrible with directions and I want to give myself plenty of time to get lost on the way there.

When I'm going to an event at a place I have been to, I aim for 15-20 minutes early in case a sick passenger kamikazes my commute. If I get the sense that I might be late somewhere, I'll text/email/call at least 30 minutes in advance.

If I show up to an event early, I either walk around the block a couple of times or kill time in the area until it's time to go to the event.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Sometimes a guest being too early is almost as annoying as them being late. If it's just 15 minutes then whatever, but I used to know a guy who would take an invitation to an event starting at a certain time (dinner/party/whatever) as an excuse to show up multiple hours beforehand. He'd always use the excuse "I was bored, figured I'd hang out here" and just play my xbox all day. He'd get all pissy if you asked him to leave and come back later or come with you to the store or whatever because you didn't trust him alone in your apartment.

Basically needy people who use you as their source of entertainment when they're bored are the worst.

Wow, that sounds incredibly awkward and horrible.

BioEnchanted posted:

I had an account somewhere where I had to choose three security questions but only one of them could actually be applied to me. The only ones I still remember are "What is your mother's maiden name?" (the same as my last name, which defeats the purpose) and "What's your oldest nephew/niece's name?" (I don't have siblings).

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I'm sure we've talked about unnecessary abbreviations before, but I just heard a woman say "prezzie" rather than present.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Prezzie isn't an abbreviation, its a cutsey children word. Pressies from Santaaaaa!!!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Prezzie and "we're pregnant!" shouted by both the mother and the father make me squirm like a kid in church. poo poo's so awkward.

Work keeps expecting me to show up half an hour ahead of my scheduled time to "properly prep" my area. gently caress you, I'm not hourly and you don't pay me enough for that bullshit. Maybe other cooks will understand more, but gently caress, we pay a guy for that. Assholes.

Also my mom calls all of her animals "baby" and it's rubbing off on mine. NOT. COOL. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've seen this one before, but it finally happened to me: when people assume that just because you have a functioning uterus, you will have/want to have kids.

I had never gotten this before, and finally did a couple weeks ago from my aunt, of all people. Said aunt is 1) about 60 years old, 2) childless, and 3) gay. She's about the last person on Earth who I'd have expected to give me the "Oh, you'll change your mind someday" speech.

For the record, I don't hate kids. I like them just fine. When they're not mine!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Silver Falcon posted:

I've seen this one before, but it finally happened to me: when people assume that just because you have a functioning uterus, you will have/want to have kids.

I had never gotten this before, and finally did a couple weeks ago from my aunt, of all people. Said aunt is 1) about 60 years old, 2) childless, and 3) gay. She's about the last person on Earth who I'd have expected to give me the "Oh, you'll change your mind someday" speech.

For the record, I don't hate kids. I like them just fine. When they're not mine!

I've never understood this line of reasoning. I think it would be infinitely better for someone to not have kids and wish they had when their older than the alternative which is basically have kids and resent them because you might have change your mind.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm in my late 20s and have been married for a couple years. This means I am terrified to gain any weight or make any comments about not feeling well/tired (especially in the morning) because people jump to the conclusion I'm pregnant and the rumors start flying. It's such bullshit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Programs that make it a pain in the rear end to actually close them. "Close" should not be an ambiguous term - if I wanted to minimize/hide it in the background I would do that, if that button existed. I shouldn't have to use task manager or right click on the little icon thing on the bottom right and force it to exit, that button should be built in to the main menu always. Skype is the program that has been annoying me with this lately, but steam does it too. Close should mean close as in not running anymore, and they should replace the current minimize button with what the "close" action does.

Also doubly annoying are the programs that auto-restart when you kill them.

e: vvv the same thing happens to me a lot with firefox but it's usually a lot more than 700k

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:45 on May 31, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The fact that I have to use Internet Explorer at work. When the damned thing starts taking up about 700,000k memory it freezes to death and I have to end the process via the Task Manager.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

If you think about it, an "X" is really just two 'minimize' lines criss-crossing.

Hulu's advertising is a real poo poo. I feel like I'm a part of an enormous lab test for advertisers to most effectively needle into me - which I am, but it feels super aggressive.

One time, it gave me the "choice" of two ad-types, and I swear after I clicked the "just normal poo poo please" option, it said, "So you're CHOOSING this ad? That's the CHOICE YOU are making?". I'm usually resolved to just never click on any options given.

Creeped me out, and closed the drat site for a week.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm in my late 20s and have been married for a couple years. This means I am terrified to gain any weight or make any comments about not feeling well/tired (especially in the morning) because people jump to the conclusion I'm pregnant and the rumors start flying. It's such bullshit.

Oh, it was fun earlier this year when I (being recently engaged, but staying with parents for financial reasons) had to go off of my birth control for a while, and at the same time had frequent migraines with nausea.

I eventually stopped mentioning anything about how I felt to my mom, because as soon as I mentioned the slightest touch of stomach upset she'd look at me like I had turned into a ghost and the same exact conversation would occur.

Yes we're using protection, no not just condoms, yes I'm trying to get an appointment for BC*, yes I know how important it is, no I swear to God it's just a migraine but I'll go buy a test anyway just to be sure okay thanks mom.

* Which, in a related peeve, took way too long because I'd just started a new temp job and apparently there must be a freaking law against gynecology clinics staying open past 4pm in this city.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

genetic_knockout posted:

Yeah this really annoys me too. One time we were having a party, and this one dingus showed up like 3 hours early using that exact same excuse. I was literally in the middle of mopping the kitchen floor when he got here, and I was sweaty, unshowered, and in my bleach-stained cleaning clothes. I was home alone, so it was kind of awkward (this guy is really annoying and kind of a known creep). He was like following me around as I mopped, making small talk. I was so pissed but didn't want to be a dick about it. Don't come over 3 hours early, unless you are explicitly invited early!!!! :argh:

Eighty-six this creepo like yesterday, christ

"I don't want to be a dick about it" is exactly what they're banking on. People who pull that poo poo are human loving garbage and should be blacklisted immediately and permanently, regardless of how your friends might react.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Silver Falcon posted:

I hear this, although not as bad from my family since I have a couple older siblings who are married with kids. Always with the "who you dating?" or "when you gonna settle down/have kids/get married?" and I brush it off most of the time. Unless it's coming from that one annoying relative with 5 kids from 3 different dads who's been divorced almost as many times as they've had kids. They get a hearty, sarcastic "yeah, because marriage and kids worked SO well for you, right? :rolleyes:"

I've explained it several times that yes, being raised around a bunch of assholes in terrible, unhappy marriages, on top of being the youngest (and unplanned) of four kids, with a biological dad that's an alcoholic and drug addict, doesn't bode well for me thinking of getting married and having kids. Especially when it comes from people who are in unhappy, codependent marriages or people who go through relationships like Goatse man goes through inner tube patch kits.

Other peeve, perhaps mentioned before: People assuming about me (or other single people) that because I'm not married and don't have kids, that I have no life outside work or nothing better to do than work even MORE from home. Oh, that's nice, it's okay for some rear end in a top hat to assume I have no life, no family, no friends to hang out with and that I should be available all the time? Yeah, go gently caress yourself and learn how to balance your work and home life, I don't call you out on using your kids/wife as a bullshit excuse to get out of working but I'm gonna start because gently caress doing extra work that other people want to shovel off on someone else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Programs that make it a pain in the rear end to actually close them. "Close" should not be an ambiguous term - if I wanted to minimize/hide it in the background I would do that, if that button existed. I shouldn't have to use task manager or right click on the little icon thing on the bottom right and force it to exit, that button should be built in to the main menu always. Skype is the program that has been annoying me with this lately, but steam does it too.

Skype is the worst for this, because you can't even exit it from the Skype menu, you specifically have to go to the system tray. Why would you design a program so that there's no way to exit it from within the program?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah getting out of skype is the most unnecessarily annoying thing. Yes I am sure I want to loving close skype, no I do not care that people cannot call me if I do

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The worst thing about that is it's only the home version that has that problem. Skype for Business, which I've been using at work, has a gear icon that if you click on that, then on file, you can find an exit option that actually closes the program properly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

BioEnchanted posted:

The worst thing about that is it's only the home version that has that problem. Skype for Business, which I've been using at work, has a gear icon that if you click on that, then on file, you can find an exit option that actually closes the program properly.

That's because Skype for Business is something completely different rebranded with MS's new-at-the-time acquisition.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Speaking of people who are late... I'm a hostess at a restaurant, so it's my job to make sure tables are set up for big parties and to keep staff around to accommodate. Showing up late to your own loving party means the kitchen has to stay late, servers have to stay late, and a bunch of people who wandered in and wanted to have a nice meal get mad at me because they wanted to sit in the place I booked for you. Also, when people show up to said parties in sweatpants. That's probably a less universal peeve, but we have $300 bottles of wine, and it's not like you wandered in here by mistake. Wear some real pants.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't work in the restaurant business but I get annoyed by people who dress inappropriately to go out to eat too. A dress code solves this, but that also annoys me - sometimes I don't want to put on a jacket and tie to go have dinner. People should have the common sense to look at what everyone else is wearing when they go there and adjust accordingly. You rarely see people in jorts and a tshirt at a place where you're paying 50 dollars+ for a meal, so would it kill you to at the very least throw on some decent jeans and a collared shirt so you don't stick out so badly?

I mean if you're going to golden corral or waffle house etc there are no rules, but even if you're rich and don't feel like it you should still at least put in the bare minimum to appear civilized by making sure you aren't the worst dressed person at the place.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Eighty-six this creepo like yesterday, christ

"I don't want to be a dick about it" is exactly what they're banking on. People who pull that poo poo are human loving garbage and should be blacklisted immediately and permanently, regardless of how your friends might react.

You are 100% correct, especially with regards to the human garbage part. He was one of my husband's friends from high school, and basically everyone in their group of friends has now realized this guy is hosed in the head and needs to be cut out of the social circle. The last straw for us was when he made a 'hilarious joke' about raping my husband's 15 year old cousin at our wedding (he is 35). Of course when confronted, his response to this was the classic "Jeez guys, it was just a joke--if you guys can't appreciate my outrageous sense of humour, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like you all have some growing up to do". Fortunately, that guy has since moved to the opposite side of the country (well, fortunate for me. Less fortunate for the women of Victoria, BC).

I have another peeve that has been peeving me for over a year now. Last year, our department got moved to a fancy new building (so new in fact, that a lot of it is still under construction a year later). The new building is very open concept, and during the construction/moving phases, all the higher-ups kept waxing poetic to us underlings about how great the open concept would be for "collaboration" and "innovation" etc. etc. Now, a year later, everyone is basically realizing how poo poo the open concept office space is for actually getting work done. I work in the research department, which is composed of about 10 different research groups, all doing different things. Which basically means that while I'm trying to quietly read journal articles, the person across from me might be conducting a very long and loud phone interview with some old and half deaf guy. Or I'll be trying to get some manuscript writing done, and the group behind me will be having a loud and lively meeting about 10 feet away. It's all horribly distracting for everyone doing quiet things, and a pain in the rear end for anyone who legitimately needs to talk to someone else to get their job done. It's basically come to a head now, and the higher-ups have now changed their tune from "shared space is awesome, go collaborate" to "everyone shut the gently caress up all the time". Anyone with half a brain could have anticipated this problem, but I guess money speaks and I'm sure open concept was cheaper than building walls and conference rooms everywhere.

This is annoying just in itself, but my ACTUAL peeve about the open concept building is the bathroom situation. There is only 1 bathroom per floor, and there is no real door to it so it's one of those open-doorway-with-a-90-degree-turn-into-the-main-area-so-no-one-can-see-in type things. From where I sit, not only can I see people walking into/out of the bathroom, but I can actually HEAR them going to the bathroom. It's totally gross and off-putting, and totally horrible for those of us with bathroom-related anxiety (I am a shy pooper). Basically any time I have to go at work, I sneak down to the second floor, which has a not-quite-as-horrible single-stall bathroom along a row of seldom-used conference rooms. Usually when I do this either the cleaning lady is working on that particular bathroom, someone else has had the same idea, or there is a conference going on in the room across from my sneaky toilet, so everyone can still hear everything.

gently caress you, building architects! Your open concept is garbage! Pooping at work should not be this hard or anxiety-producing! :saddowns:

Edit: I loving love hyphens

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Jun 1, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tiggum posted:

Skype is the worst for this, because you can't even exit it from the Skype menu, you specifically have to go to the system tray. Why would you design a program so that there's no way to exit it from within the program?

All of the computers at my job have Skype. None of them have cameras. I don't know why they installed it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When I worked in retail my biggest pet peeve was when I'd hold out my hand for the customer to give me money and they'd throw it on the counter instead.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What? I always loved the robots that threw the cash on the counter. No physical human contact that way. The worst are the cuphanders that grab the back of your hand to steady it as they dump sticky change on you.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I don't like it when a song rhymes a word with itself. This is the first offender that pops to mind because it's on the radio all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv6jER7wrPM

It's not like it's even a hard word to rhyme!

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

EmmyOk posted:

When I worked in retail my biggest pet peeve was when I'd hold out my hand for the customer to give me money and they'd throw it on the counter instead.

I hate this so much... especially when they set it on the counter as far from you as possible, then just stare at you until you lean over, stretch your arm out to grab it from like 3 feet away.

Basically I hate anything customers do to retail workers that, if the worker did it back to them, would piss them off. Can you imagine the loving fit one of these people would throw if the cashier dared to set their change on the counter instead of handing it to them?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

fizzymercy posted:

What? I always loved the robots that threw the cash on the counter. No physical human contact that way. The worst are the cuphanders that grab the back of your hand to steady it as they dump sticky change on you.

I've worked retail for 11 years and I've never had this happen. I'd probably lose it if it did, though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

All of the computers at my job have Skype. None of them have cameras. I don't know why they installed it.
I assume they have microphones though? I almost never bother with video when I use Skype. :shrug:

EmmyOk posted:

fizzymercy posted:

Nettles Coterie posted:

Can you imagine the loving fit one of these people would throw if the cashier dared to set their change on the counter instead of handing it to them?
Thank god for payWave/PayPass and self-checkouts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tiggum posted:

I assume they have microphones though? I almost never bother with video when I use Skype. :shrug:

Nope!

KoB
May 1, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Same but as a customer.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Being from Las Vegas is pretty cool overall, but oh god do I hate flying home because the plane is always full of tourists flying in and they are all jacked up and ready to do VEGAS, BABY so even red-eye flights are full of people boozing and yukking it up and cheering when we come on for a landing and oh my gently caress shut up all of you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My pet peeve of late is people treating the consumption of fast food as suicide, or overly gross.

On the macro? I get it, too many people eat too much of it. But that doesn't make it terrible to eat every once in a while. Nobody has died from having a cheap burger every once in a while.

On the personal/micro level, don't bitch about it when I'm doing it. As someone whose most elaborate order is a double cheeseburger, small fry, and a water, I'm kinda the opposite of the folks who need to be told to cut down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

My pet peeve of late is people treating the consumption of fast food as suicide, or overly gross.

On the macro? I get it, too many people eat too much of it. But that doesn't make it terrible to eat every once in a while. Nobody has died from having a cheap burger every once in a while.

I agree with this. I always hear people trying to one-up each other with comments about how completely disgusting and revolting McDonald's and other fast food is, when there isn't anything exceptionally bad about it and the fries are a lot more unhealthy than the burger (which is what people usually focus on). It's especially goofy when these same people will often have no trouble talking about other fried food being okay, like McDonald's has some mysterious poison in it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

MisterBibs posted:

On the personal/micro level, don't bitch about it when I'm doing it. As someone whose most elaborate order is a double cheeseburger, small fry, and a water, I'm kinda the opposite of the folks who need to be told to cut down.

Ugh, my family do this. They always talk about fast food as if it's the most terrible poison you can put in your body. Like, if you've desecrated yourself with a Big Mac you may as well skip straight to injecting heroin into your eyeballs because there's clearly nothing left in life for you. (At the same time they eat terrible, unhealthy garbage food, just not fast food so I don't know if it's some sort of weird classist prejudice or where the gently caress it comes from.)

Anyway, the other week I went to visit my grandpa in the nursing home he lives in. My aunt and grandma came along, too. My aunt decides they will get KFC for lunch as a treat for my grandparents and asks what I want. I said I'll just have a soda as I knew whatever I ordered would be met with a bunch of comments about how it's soooo unhealthy and isn't it just terrible that people eat this stuff (said while they're all shoving down a ton of food) and so on. So my aunt comes back and has gotten me some chips which I eat because I'm polite and then after everyone's finished she starts saying 'oh I thought you just wanted a soda and weren't going to eat?' and it's like, gently caress, you bought food for me. Was I supposed to throw it on the ground and tell you to get hosed? Jesus. Ugh, people being weird about food drives me insane. Just eat what you want and don't proselytise to me and don't give me poo poo about what I want to put in my body.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

cyberia posted:

weird classist prejudice

ding ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Websites for software or businesses where the front page is a blog. Instead of a page with useful information like what your product or service is, you've just got whatever the latest bit of information you put out was without any of the necessary context.