Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I'm not usually into wire wrapped stuff but that is very well done. Cool!

Dalan Hargrave does things that I classify as straight wizardry. There's a few extremely talented young engravers/gem carvers he's teaching that I follow on instagram who I very much look up to. They have been pretty instrumental in me just biting the bullet and finally getting the equipment to engrave and cut gemstones. Their styles may not always be what I like, but their craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing. Not only on the top down but all sides of their pieces.

In terms of straight price you're probably not going to get a better deal at any local jeweller. Local stores are going to have markup relative to their business costs that cannot be split between thousands of rings.

I think the eye popping-ness you're trying to find is going to (most likely) take the ring into a non traditional or flashy place. If she likes traditional and non-flashy, that's what she likes! As long as the ring isn't built wrong, a solitaire one carat princess ring is going to look pretty much the same from anywhere. That being said if she does want a pave band it's something that can be done into the ring after the fact. Any local custom jeweller should be able to pave set the band for you.

That's great to know! I had no idea a pave could be done after the fact-thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

I'm not usually into wire wrapped stuff but that is very well done. Cool!

Dalan Hargrave does things that I classify as straight wizardry. There's a few extremely talented young engravers/gem carvers he's teaching that I follow on instagram who I very much look up to. They have been pretty instrumental in me just biting the bullet and finally getting the equipment to engrave and cut gemstones. Their styles may not always be what I like, but their craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing. Not only on the top down but all sides of their pieces.

Chris Lawry is another one of my favorite cutters, wizards for sure.

Are you a fan of 3D fabricated work?

And here is a picture of that wonderful Alexandrite in an engagement ring you talk about in the OP

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I like gems from John Dyer personally, I think they're really unique!

This isn't really my thing but technically it's really cool

and sometimes this happens with them lmao

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

goodness posted:

Chris Lawry is another one of my favorite cutters, wizards for sure.

Are you a fan of 3D fabricated work?

And here is a picture of that wonderful Alexandrite in an engagement ring you talk about in the OP

Chris Lawry is indeed amazing!

I am a fan of 3D fabricated work, mostly because it's a challenge for me to figure out how exactly they put all those cast pieces together without the whole thing falling apart. It isn't my style but it can be really nice and anything this dude https://www.instagram.com/thecrowncollection/ posts is usually of a decent caliber....

Xun posted:

I like gems from John Dyer personally, I think they're really unique!

This isn't really my thing but technically it's really cool

and sometimes this happens with them lmao

...because sometimes they look like that hahaha.

John Dyer is also amazing! I like his work because it's closer to standard gem forms with crazy patterning inside them, where I find Dalan is much more into the carved look. Both amazing!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Chris Lawry is indeed amazing!

I am a fan of 3D fabricated work, mostly because it's a challenge for me to figure out how exactly they put all those cast pieces together without the whole thing falling apart. It isn't my style but it can be really nice and anything this dude https://www.instagram.com/thecrowncollection/ posts is usually of a decent caliber....

...because sometimes they look like that hahaha.

John Dyer is also amazing! I like his work because it's closer to standard gem forms with crazy patterning inside them, where I find Dalan is much more into the carved look. Both amazing!

Crown Collection is my jam, I love all the art he posts. I'll get to see a lot of that stuff in person next time I visit now that he has a storefront.

Have you seen the engraved Rolex and hobo nickels he posts? A man can dream.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

goodness posted:

Crown Collection is my jam, I love all the art he posts. I'll get to see a lot of that stuff in person next time I visit now that he has a storefront.

Have you seen the engraved Rolex and hobo nickels he posts? A man can dream.

Do you head that way often? I had no idea he had a storefront!

Yeah, those engraved Rolexes are from https://www.instagram.com/findestemps/ and are the guys I was talking about with the engraving (and gem cutting/carving).

Chris Ser in particular is the one I've been following for a while https://www.instagram.com/serjewelry/ and as I'm sure you know is the artist behind that 3D fabricated owl piece you posted. So much talent, I'm aiming to get to a point where I can do really sculptural stuff like them with custom cut gems and engraving and have it be my full time job. Lots of practice to go before I get to that level though!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Do you head that way often? I had no idea he had a storefront!

Yeah, those engraved Rolexes are from https://www.instagram.com/findestemps/ and are the guys I was talking about with the engraving (and gem cutting/carving).

Chris Ser in particular is the one I've been following for a while https://www.instagram.com/serjewelry/ and as I'm sure you know is the artist behind that 3D fabricated owl piece you posted. So much talent, I'm aiming to get to a point where I can do really sculptural stuff like them with custom cut gems and engraving and have it be my full time job. Lots of practice to go before I get to that level though!

I make the 12hr drive to CO about once a month, can't resist the beauty. I'm finally getting moved out there in June or July which will cut out a lot of driving! He just had his opening celebration last week I think.

Ser makes some incredible stuff, another one of the greats! Do you have a gem collection of your own? If you have posted it already I'm sure I'll see it as I read through.

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 17, 2016

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

goodness posted:

Oh god I don't even want to know what this ring costs. It's like 25k+, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If anyone wants to get some cheap color-change rough, I recently got my hands on some synthetic neodynium YAG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSTPEeiQwU

Purple under incandescent light and sunlight, still purple but a little bluer in LED light, and totally colorless under fluorescent lighting.

The change looks great in person, and this material is really easy to facet.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

OOoo, where did you get the YAG from? I've been trying to find a good place to get synthetic rough

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xun posted:

OOoo, where did you get the YAG from? I've been trying to find a good place to get synthetic rough

It's leftover material from a chinese laser-rod company. Here's a better photo of the pieces I have.

You can see the fluted edges, which is where they cut laser rods out of the big boule. The boule end seems to have broke off when they were pulling it out of the melt, and it's pretty cool too.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

goodness posted:

Cool thread! I have been working on getting into gemstone collecting. Really love anything tourmaline; tanzanite and fluorite are close runner ups.

Check this out this pendant I got from a buddy who is a wire wrapper

14k gold with silver accents
Cruzeiro Mine tourmaline
3x Neon blue apatites
7x amethyst

This piece is amazing! I love the eye imagery of the pendant. Is there a name for that? Where can I find more pieces like this?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Pigasus posted:

This piece is amazing! I love the eye imagery of the pendant. Is there a name for that? Where can I find more pieces like this?

The artist of that one is a good friend of mine out in CO, he has a Facebook group called Tadas Designs. If you are interested in buying something I could help you find a few artists within the budget.

No name for the design that I know of.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I am looking to purchase some aquamarine and wanted to get your opinion. Price on these is 10/g which seems pretty good for their color.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like Erongo and Vietnamese (maybe some nice Pakistani0.

At 2 dollars a carat you could certainly do a lot worse. I saw some cheaper a Tucson, but of course everything is cheaper there.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Looks like Erongo and Vietnamese (maybe some nice Pakistani0.

At 2 dollars a carat you could certainly do a lot worse. I saw some cheaper a Tucson, but of course everything is cheaper there.

Meant to say it's billed as Nigerian! The color looks pretty nice from what I can tell.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Vintage jewellery is something I actually know a bit about, unlike lapidary work which I have been reading about with interest, but without having anything to contribute.

It's weird that your expert was flummoxed by this, because it's a very common type of English gold signet ring, they're worth around $100 to $200 depending on the weight. Do you ever wear it yourself?

To my eye, the hallmark reads:

[?.W Ld] [Prefix] [375] [Date Letter] [Leopard's Head]

The leopard's head assay stamp is only used by London's assay office and is one of the oldest such stamps in continuous use anywhere. It was introduced in 1300 and the design has changed over the years - sometimes the leopard wears a crown, sometimes not - but it's always a leopard's head.

The maker's mark [?.W. Ld] is frankly unlikely to be anyone very famous. 'Ld' is often used instead of 'Ltd' on such marks. I'm not quite convinced that both initials are W.

The thing I called 'Prefix' will either be a symbol, or the digit '9'. I can't see it clearly as the curve of the shank hides it. 9ct gold jewellery made after about 1930 often has both '9'/'9ct' and '375' (the actual gold percentage) stamped on it.

The date letter would be easier to make out on a macro shot, but the lozenge around it looks like an elongated octagon, which indicates a date of manufacture between 1936 and 1955. I couldn't read the letter even after sharpening the image, but it looks uppercase to me.

But you can do this yourself. Get a magnifying glass, use the flowchart dating system here, and you'll know the exact year and can bluff your way in dating English gold in future:

http://www.gold-traders.co.uk/hallmarks/

Thank you so much for the interest. With the exception of surgeries this ring has been on my finger since I was fifteen. I'm nearly thirty two and I always get comments on it. It's just my way of keeping my Great Grandfather's flame alive.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 24, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I could never pull wearing this off but these would be a nice shelf piece.

megathrust
Jul 13, 2010

goodness posted:

Those are both amazing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

megathrust posted:

Those are both amazing.

This guy leveled up on this piece.

BD Drummond

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

goodness posted:

He's an insane person. Its like going to jail made him a tier above everyone else in his category haha. I refer to him to my friends now as "prison engraver" and they know what i mean.

I've been travelling Iceland the last 8 days and between this threads activity and this amazing place I have some ideas for a 3D fabricated piece. Maybe i'll give it a go and see how it turns out :iiam:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

He's an insane person. Its like going to jail made him a tier above everyone else in his category haha. I refer to him to my friends now as "prison engraver" and they know what i mean.

I've been travelling Iceland the last 8 days and between this threads activity and this amazing place I have some ideas for a 3D fabricated piece. Maybe i'll give it a go and see how it turns out :iiam:

I hope you enjoyed Iceland! Such a beautiful place, I went back in 2007. Was lucky enough to see the northern lights.

megathrust
Jul 13, 2010

I want to hear more about this story.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Help I can't stop looking at faceting supplies. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to cut and I'll be losing access to the machines I currently use soon :ohdear:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What is this kind of setting called and how do you do it? Best I could figure was very precisely place some bezel between the stones, swage out the exposed edge like a wire rivet, then polish, but that seems like it'd result in a lot of messed up rocks, especially with soft stuff like turquoise

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Channel inlay. This tutorial seems to correspond with what I saw people doing at a demonstration on the Zuni Pueblo.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

goodness posted:

I hope you enjoyed Iceland! Such a beautiful place, I went back in 2007. Was lucky enough to see the northern lights.

It was phenomenal. So many waterfalls!

megathrust posted:

I want to hear more about this story.

As far as I can tell he grew up in New Orleans with a street art background. I'm sure his run ins with the law are related to that, but he mentioned it in passing a while back. I wish I had a better story, the dude is just really thug haha.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

What is this kind of setting called and how do you do it? Best I could figure was very precisely place some bezel between the stones, swage out the exposed edge like a wire rivet, then polish, but that seems like it'd result in a lot of messed up rocks, especially with soft stuff like turquoise

As far as I know the stones are usually cut to the slots, and then the metal in between is tapped downwards to expand and put pressure on them keeping them in. That tutorial looks pretty extensive, but I only skimmed it.

Xun posted:

Help I can't stop looking at faceting supplies. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to cut and I'll be losing access to the machines I currently use soon :ohdear:

Yeah, the struggle is pretty real haha. I just cut my first stone (still have to do the table) and butchered it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) that's only making the drive to continue worse! If you love faceting you should try and get some used or less expensive tools to continue!

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 3, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

Channel inlay. This tutorial seems to correspond with what I saw people doing at a demonstration on the Zuni Pueblo.

rad, thanks!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It was phenomenal. So many waterfalls!

As far as I can tell he grew up in New Orleans with a street art background. I'm sure his run ins with the law are related to that, but he mentioned it in passing a while back. I wish I had a better story, the dude is just really thug haha.

As far as I know the stones are usually cut to the slots, and then the metal in between is tapped downwards to expand and put pressure on them keeping them in. That tutorial looks pretty extensive, but I only skimmed it.

Yeah, the struggle is pretty real haha. I just cut my first stone (still have to do the table) and butchered it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) that's only making the drive to continue worse! If you love faceting you should try and get some used or less expensive tools to continue!

Do you mind if I ask how much your setup cost you? Most of the machines I looked at cost as much as an excellent gaming desktop :shepspends: but I'm not sure how much the laps/polishes/other things would run

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Xun posted:

Do you mind if I ask how much your setup cost you? Most of the machines I looked at cost as much as an excellent gaming desktop :shepspends: but I'm not sure how much the laps/polishes/other things would run

Yeah...mine has definitely cost more than my gaming computer. Gearloose lapidary has done wonders in recent years producing laps that (from what I understand) have cut cutting and polishing times down by large amounts. Very helpful for a beginner like myself from getting extremely frustrated at facets that just won't polish. The machine was the majority of the cost, but laps and extras ended up being another few hundred US on top. Like $350-$400 maybe?

WOOFDOCTOR
Mar 17, 2012
I am not a doctor.
Is tanzanite hard enough to be set in prongs for a central stone in an engagement ring? Any recommendations of things to look for or avoid when selecting a stone?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

WOOFDOCTOR posted:

Is tanzanite hard enough to be set in prongs for a central stone in an engagement ring? Any recommendations of things to look for or avoid when selecting a stone?

I think it can be set.

If you need some options I have a couple guys that have Tanzanite for sale.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, setting tanzanite is fine, it's only a hair softer than quartz. Just don't give it ultrasonic cleaning.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Asking for more advice on another diamond:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.07-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-176481

I'm looking at placing that in this setting:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/platinum-0.25ct-channel-set-princess-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-2105

Because the channel stones are a different color (H-I) than the center stone, will that make a difference? They told me it wouldn't, and they also told me the diamond linked above was visually perfect and I wouldn't see anything that shows on the certificate...just want to get a few other people's takes...

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Who here could do this with a real amethyst, and for what money?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

SMDFTB posted:

Asking for more advice on another diamond:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.07-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-176481

I'm looking at placing that in this setting:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/platinum-0.25ct-channel-set-princess-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-2105

Because the channel stones are a different color (H-I) than the center stone, will that make a difference? They told me it wouldn't, and they also told me the diamond linked above was visually perfect and I wouldn't see anything that shows on the certificate...just want to get a few other people's takes...

I can see multiple inclusions as marked on the cert at the 20x blow-up, but that's a hell of a lot bigger than how a diamond looks when it's sitting on your hand. I highly doubt you'll be able to see the inclusions in the stone during day to day wear. Also fwiw, I can only see the inclusions easily because I've spent a lot of time looking at diamonds and notice little things like distortion in the facet pattern (like what the feather is doing in the top right corner of the video/bottom left corner of the cert). Your average person is never going to notice something like that and it doesn't detract from the diamond's visual appeal at all.

As for the color, the difference between G and HI is narrow enough to fall in between a grader's margin of error. There's no way you'll notice a difference between the stones in the setting and the stone in the center.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

WOOFDOCTOR posted:

It is hard enough to be set but will show signs of wear over time and can be prone to chipping. Its hardness is 6-7 and toughness is poor-fair, so keep that in mind. Never any ultrasonic cleaning and most definitely no repairs with heat.

I cut a thing! This is my second stone...the first one was a real pile of garbage but I love it all the same :3:
Garnet with some rutile needles all up in its bod.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

It is hard enough to be set but will show signs of wear over time and can be prone to chipping. Its hardness is 6-7 and toughness is poor-fair, so keep that in mind. Never any ultrasonic cleaning and most definitely no repairs with heat.

I cut a thing! This is my second stone...the first one was a real pile of garbage but I love it all the same :3:
Garnet with some rutile needles all up in its bod.

This is great! Garnets and tanzanite are some cool stones.

Do you have a picture of the pre-facet?

WOOFDOCTOR
Mar 17, 2012
I am not a doctor.

Is there something visually similar with better durability? I really like the sort of shifty blue-purple color I have seen in tanzanite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WOOFDOCTOR posted:

Is there something visually similar with better durability? I really like the sort of shifty blue-purple color I have seen in tanzanite.

A color change sapphire or a spinel will shift between blue and purple, so in some lights you get that mixed color. They aren't cheap, but that'll get the look and be significantly more durable.

If you're one of those dubai billionaires, color-change blue garnet :getin:

• Locked thread