Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

TwoPair posted:

But Thanos didn't just "happen". They planned a mission to stop Thanos' vague cosmic cube plans because they knew when and where he would be because of their future telling boy! That's what the event is about!

Actually the event is about perpetuating the hateful message that is person of color on person of color violence. We just saw a green accidentally die because of a black who was then caved in by a purple. This is straight up Crayola Racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
This whole thing just pisses me off so I read last week's Squirrel Girl.

How awesome is Squirrel Girl?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It was nice of them to kill off two relatively major characters who are both super easy to bring back on the next writer's whim, at least.

Although Rhodey's ease of resurrection depends largely on somebody having read Greg Pak's War Machine run, and I think I'm the only one who did.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not as awesome as her date ("Superheroes arent real")

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Teenage Fansub posted:

He totally should have died in the movie. The stakes were so low.
Eh too many superhero movies have people die for drama

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TwoPair posted:

She-Hulk is a supporting character in 2 other ongoings, loving lol at anybody who thinks that flatline is anything but a fakeout.

What's the other book she's in besides A-Force?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

JoshTheStampede posted:

What's the other book she's in besides A-Force?

In Patsy Walker, she's one of the main supporting characters. Definitely doesn't star in the book, but is more then just a cameo.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh too many superhero movies have people die for drama

If anything I really appreciated them not killing him. I'd got it into my head somehow (a fake-out press release? Rumor on internet?) that Cap 3 was going to kill off a hero, so as soon as he started falling I expected him to die. Plus he's the easiest character to cripple- next movie you can either wave it away with "that was a lovely few months" or have him in a chair/those exo-robo-legs for the 6% of the time he's on-screen outside of his armor.
Killing the Black Guy is such a 'thing' that it's lame on top of being insensitive, but what other character relates strongly to both Tony and Carol? I mean, I wouldn't have given a poo poo if they killed off Peter Parker, but isn't he carrying 4 books or something right now? I dunno, I straight up DGAF about Original Flavour Spider-Man but tons of other people do so killing him would carry zero weight since there's no chance in Mephisto's Hell that he'd stay dead.
The Wolverine "Tie-in" was good. Tony shows up, tries to help, Carol shows up, tries to help, Tony says something sleazy, the ladies roll their eyes, and the day is saved by the titular hero of the book and her mini-me. Naked jet-packing is mentioned but thankfully not shown. A Good Story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

In Patsy Walker, she's one of the main supporting characters. Definitely doesn't star in the book, but is more then just a cameo.

To elaborate, the big subplot in Hellcat is Patsy trying to get her old modelling rival to give her back the rights to the romance comics that her mother published about them. Jen is her legal representation for that, and Jessica Jones is the PI Hedy (the rival) hired to get dirt on Patsy but is swapping sides to help Patsy preserve her secret identity.

(Also, I really liked Jessica's little Jewel charm thingy on her phone in the last issue, they should carry that over into the TV show.)

SynthOrange posted:

Not as awesome as her date ("Superheroes arent real")

And this was fantastic. As was SG's whole response of "Dude, I can literally text nearly ANY Avenger you want and we can hang with them- you wanna meet Wundarr? Done!- ... and then NEVER go out ever again"

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

But Thanos didn't just "happen". They planned a mission to stop Thanos' vague cosmic cube plans because they knew when and where he would be because of their future telling boy! That's what the event is about! Which implies that there was some forethought into who would be going on Operation Stop Thanos. Sure Rhodey was there and volunteered himself, but during the strategy session when Carol was calling in the Ultimates and A-Force she could've dropped a line to the other 50 superheroes she knows.

Yeah but they did stop Thanos, so, they didn't really need more than the Ultimates, A-Force and some Inhumans.

Like, the only thing that went wrong is Rhodey dying, and, he was never part of the plan, so the only way he could've been saved is if someone looked into the future and changed it. Carol is unambiguously in the right so far, and Tony is just being a giant baby.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ElNarez posted:

Yeah but they did stop Thanos, so, they didn't really need more than the Ultimates, A-Force and some Inhumans.

Like, the only thing that went wrong is Rhodey dying, and, he was never part of the plan, so the only way he could've been saved is if someone looked into the future and changed it. Carol is unambiguously in the right so far, and Tony is just being a giant baby.

Almost like they have someone who can do just this. How come he didn't see this and go "Yo, War Machine maybe shouldn't go cuz he'll die and She-Hulk will be messed up"?

Also, there's a decent chance that this is exactly what the solution will be, and the last issue will have Ulysses going to Carol and saying exactly that, and there's your reset button.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm late to the party, but Contest of Champions is canceled?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Brocktoon posted:

I'm late to the party, but Contest of Champions is canceled?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Why can't Marvel use whatever black magic that's keeping Squirrel Girl's book in print despite it's low sales?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Why can't Marvel use whatever black magic that's keeping Squirrel Girl's book in print despite it's low sales?

Isn't that black magic called "it does very well in digital and trade?"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gaz-L posted:

Almost like they have someone who can do just this. How come he didn't see this and go "Yo, War Machine maybe shouldn't go cuz he'll die and She-Hulk will be messed up"?

Because he can't just see whatever time and place he wants. He gets big visions that he can't control. All he knew was "Thanos is coming"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the people that buy stuff in digital and trades aren't people who care about a kinda-sorta mobile game tie-in named after a crossover from 30 years ago, no matter how good it is.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

JoshTheStampede posted:

He gets big visions that he can't control. All he knew was "Thanos is coming"
Has any major rules been established for Ulysses powers besides "sees the future"? Because if we have multiple writers taking part like in CW1, it's going to be a problem of inconsistent visions.
I'm running a civil war 2 game over in traditional games, so it's going to be interesting to see what limits, if any, they place on the ability.

They may actually use this to their advantage, as it could be turned into an argument for either side, but somehow I doubt it will be utilized well if at all.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trollhawke posted:

Has any major rules been established for Ulysses powers besides "sees the future"? Because if we have multiple writers taking part like in CW1, it's going to be a problem of inconsistent visions.
I'm running a civil war 2 game over in traditional games, so it's going to be interesting to see what limits, if any, they place on the ability.

They may actually use this to their advantage, as it could be turned into an argument for either side, but somehow I doubt it will be utilized well if at all.

Not really, but he's clearly new and unused to his own powers, so I don't think he even knows the limits. But we've seen him give two visions so far and they were both big time world ending poo poo, he's not warning Medusa about her pizza being too hot or calling people about lottery numbers.

E: Bendis apparently clarified on Twitter that neither Tony nor Carol were toasting with alcohol, and "it's a point going forward"

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gaz-L posted:

And the people that buy stuff in digital and trades aren't people who care about a kinda-sorta mobile game tie-in named after a crossover from 30 years ago, no matter how good it is.

From what little we know of digital sales, the digital market skews younger and female. Not saying CoC doesn't appeal to younger or female readers, but the digital demographics are a big reason why SG sells disproportionately better in digital.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I don't really care about the game but it seems rather popular, there are still ads on TV for it. I was hoping they'd throw in some codes or something in the comic to encourage people to buy it, but all they did was include some behind the scenes developer stuff. I guess no one cares too much about learning the origin of Guillotine :( The book will be missed but I knew it was coming. The sales figures are terrible and my local comic shops were down to only ordering 1 extra copy of it outside of pull lists.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

And this was fantastic. As was SG's whole response of "Dude, I can literally text nearly ANY Avenger you want and we can hang with them- you wanna meet Wundarr? Done!- ... and then NEVER go out ever again"

Too bad Thor doesn't have a phone, because they really hit it off in the Secret Love issue.

I'm glad people are liking A-force more now, I enjoyed it out of the gate, but its certainly improved a lot since the team got together. Plus with more characterization of Singularity and her being the heart of the team, it's a lot more fun.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

wombat74 posted:

This whole thing just pisses me off so I read last week's Squirrel Girl.

How awesome is Squirrel Girl?

Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, and Patsy Walker all have the side effect of giving me an appetite for serious superheroing. It's weird; I enjoy those three series for taking on the lighter, more absurd side of the Marvel universe, but after enough self-aware smirking about how dumb superhero comics are I want them to take themselves seriously again, which resets the cycle.

[insert salt / sugar / fat addiction analogy here]

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Patsy Walker is more just a hangout comic, it's not really smirking at all. Like, the meanest Patsy Walker ever gets is Patsy herself when addressing her absolutely ludicrous backstory.

USG is more joyously absurd, like recognizing how insane comics are and reveling in it over making fun of it.

Howard the Duck, I'd say, is the only comic on that list that "smirks" about how dumb superhero comics are.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

Patsy Walker is more just a hangout comic, it's not really smirking at all. Like, the meanest Patsy Walker ever gets is Patsy herself when addressing her absolutely ludicrous backstory.

USG is more joyously absurd, like recognizing how insane comics are and reveling in it over making fun of it.

Howard the Duck, I'd say, is the only comic on that list that "smirks" about how dumb superhero comics are.

And that's because Chip Zdarsky is incapable of not smirking.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I could also be the one who smirks. :)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

twistedmentat posted:

Too bad Thor doesn't have a phone, because they really hit it off in the Secret Love issue.

But he does have one!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ElNarez posted:

Has there ever been a time when Thanos showed up that wasn't like, the biggest threat at the time? I'm not even trying to argue here, I'm just asking, ever since I started reading comics, Thanos always seems to kick and/or kill everyone's rear end whenever he shows up. Even in Infinity, the impending destruction of Earth via incursion took a backseat to "THANOS COMIN'".

I'm just saying advanced warning on the guy showing up on Earth should be cause to send out a big "ALL HANDS ON DECK" signal to the entire super-community, rather than just pick and choose your own little team that you think can handle it in secret. poo poo, she and Tony had a disagreement in the kitchen or whatever, but they weren't openly fighting yet, why not call him and go "hey look I know we have disagreements on this future-kid, but loving Thanos is coming on Thursday, clear your schedule, it's going down".

But then I know that none of these sensible things will happen because this is an event comic based around making heroes fight which means everyone has to act dumb as gently caress all the time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The biggest problem is that yeah, it was Thanos. Thanos, the mass-murdering death cult leader who routinely tries to snuff out entire universes. To stop his plan, to CAPTURE him, with what amounts to two casualties is a big win. It's practically the definition of "acceptable losses".

I think this sort of the problem with big event comics where the first act is all laid out in promotional materials six months out, it was a big rush from "kid has premonitions of existential threats to humanity/all life, heroes prepare" when the two data points are both enormous threats. If they'd spent more time showing that maybe Team Carol was becoming overreliant on it, or practicing massively disproportionate displays of power, the confrontation at the end of the issue would have made more sense.

If they marshaled forty heroes to keep the Black Cat from stealing the Mona Lisa and in the fracas Rhodey died protecting a painting or something, Tony would have a point.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I mean really the big problem is that Bendis is trying to use the movie's plot beats in the same way in this comic but it doesn't work because the way the stakes are stacked in a different way and Rhodey knows full well what he's going into. Stark just comes off as an irrational baby here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DekeThornton posted:

But he does have one!

Oh Frigga, I forgot about that.

So I cannot wait to see the ANAD Avengers go up against Annhilius next issue.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Oh Frigga, I forgot about that.

So I cannot wait to see the ANAD Avengers go up against Annhilius next issue.

Can't wait for Sam to rip Annihilus inside out, just like Rich.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Yep, that's gonna be awesome. I liked Sam being all "Pfft, I've been in space lots of times" and Kamala calling him out for it, but the best was Miles's total panic about being in space so he has nothing to swing from.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

Stark just comes off as an irrational baby here.

Well this is a Civil War event.

Codependent Poster posted:

Wonder if that will get referenced at all. It's kinda a shame that the only Rich Nova villain that Sam had to deal with in the past 3 years was Diamondhead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought Annihilus was kind of an okay dude now. He helped during the Builders invasion. :saddowns:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BrianWilly posted:

I thought Annihilus was kind of an okay dude now. He helped during the Builders invasion. :saddowns:

"I don't want to get killed so I will fight alongside the other people that don't want to get killed" is a long, long ways from "a good guy now."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean c'mon I'd trust him before that Steve Rogers bloke right now

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Did you see what he did to the bathroom?

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

Shawn posted:

Did you see what he did to the bathroom?

"So THAT'S why they call him Annihilus"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Literally everything Annihilus ever does is about maximizing his chances of survival. That's why he's always trying to kill every other life form in the universe. What if THEY kill HIM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

hope and vaseline posted:

Stark just comes off as an irrational baby here.

This is kinda the kicker, initially it sounded like the war was going to be over the moral debate of whether or not you should essentially strangle baby hitler in his crib. Which is at least a legitimate debate, but so far carol's team hasn't even suggested anything like that. All she's done is tantamount to making sure there was an ambulance at the scene of a car accident before the accident happened. Tony's completely overreacted and it makes him seem irrational and stupid and the conflict much more manufactured that it would have if they'd gone in the original direction that it seemed like they were going. I don't think the people who were worried about Carol being the victim of character assassination have too much to worry about.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread