Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I'm in Tokyo for a couple days on my own next week, and I could definitely burn an evening with some goons and beers. Let me know if anyone has any plans anywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

VikingofRock posted:

So I'm in Kyoto right now, and I thought I would check out some of the goon recommendations for food around here (the specific places I had written down were Togaden, Takotora, Ichijoji, and Daigin). My question is: how do I actually find these places? I tried typing both the romanji and the hiragana into Google Maps and Yelp, but nothing came up for any of them except Takotora.

I used Tabelog and the romanization worked in terms of finding most restaurants.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shadowhand00 posted:

I used Tabelog and the romanization worked in terms of finding most restaurants.

Googling "tabelog romanization" tends to work really well for me (minus the quotes of course).
Also give this a go: http://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2601/A260101/R3313/map/?SrtT=trend&svd=20160519&svt=1900&svps=2

The rating scale is at the bottom. Tabelog ratings are extremely subjective at the best of times. Furthermore Japanese people tend to have a different set of criteria from foreigners in general and tourists in particular, but anything 3.0+ is gonna be a safe bet.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I'll be going to Japan this October for ~14days, we'll want to visit Osaka, Kyoto an Tokyo. What do you guys recommend on the amount of time to stay in each places? We'll want to have the most time for Tokyo. Also any recommendations for nice daytrips would be really grand (Any good places for hiking/nature suff would be cool). I was in Tokyo and Kyoto last year for a week but only kept to the city and didn't really see much else.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Helios Grime posted:

I'll be going to Japan this October for ~14days, we'll want to visit Osaka, Kyoto an Tokyo. What do you guys recommend on the amount of time to stay in each places? We'll want to have the most time for Tokyo. Also any recommendations for nice daytrips would be really grand (Any good places for hiking/nature suff would be cool). I was in Tokyo and Kyoto last year for a week but only kept to the city and didn't really see much else.

Climb Takao in west Tokyo...it's not tough but you get a nice view of the city and Fuji and you could do it in the morning and be back in town to do something else in the afternoon.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Stringent posted:

Googling "tabelog romanization" tends to work really well for me (minus the quotes of course).
Also give this a go: http://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2601/A260101/R3313/map/?SrtT=trend&svd=20160519&svt=1900&svps=2

The rating scale is at the bottom. Tabelog ratings are extremely subjective at the best of times. Furthermore Japanese people tend to have a different set of criteria from foreigners in general and tourists in particular, but anything 3.0+ is gonna be a safe bet.

I noticed that anything rated 3.0 and above was really good.

Still, I should have just gone around and gone into random shops. This article better articulates what I wish I had done in Japan:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/eating-without-a-map-travel-essay.html

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Shadowhand00 posted:

I noticed that anything rated 3.0 and above was really good.

Still, I should have just gone around and gone into random shops. This article better articulates what I wish I had done in Japan:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/eating-without-a-map-travel-essay.html

On the other hand I had the worst ramen of my life and got sick by walking into a random place like this. Sure do it for a few meals as you're wandering around - but there are so many awesome places that it'd be a shame to miss out on some amazing food because you want to be special and unique on your trip.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Aredna posted:

On the other hand I had the worst ramen of my life and got sick by walking into a random place like this. Sure do it for a few meals as you're wandering around - but there are so many awesome places that it'd be a shame to miss out on some amazing food because you want to be special and unique on your trip.

Death by ramen is not the worst way to go.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

kenner116 posted:

Death by ramen is not the worst way to go.

If it's terrible ramen then it seems like a pretty bad way. :(

I did Cocos curry three days in a row because I was lazy but I enjoyed it each time

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

netcat posted:

I did Cocos curry three days in a row because I was lazy but I enjoyed it each time

So did your colon just pack it's bags and leave after the third time?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Nikkkkkooooo
I'd say come to Ehime for matsuri but I can't really host goons this year.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

So I'm in Kyoto right now, and I thought I would check out some of the goon recommendations for food around here (the specific places I had written down were Togaden, Takotora, Ichijoji, and Daigin). My question is: how do I actually find these places? I tried typing both the romanji and the hiragana into Google Maps and Yelp, but nothing came up for any of them except Takotora.

SABAR was pretty good if you like mackerel.

Helios Grime posted:

From Osaka I'd highly recommend you do a day trip to Himeji-jo, it's an amazing castle that's been in quite a few movies. It's also one of the few remaining real castles, Osaka castle is cool but AFAIK it's a concrete replica. I also recommend a quick trip over to Kobe as well to have some beef, it's pretty drat good and you get to say you had Kobe beef in Kobe Japan.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 22, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

JacksLibido posted:

From Osaka I'd highly recommend you do a day trip to Himeji-jo, it's an amazing castle that's been in quite a few movies. It's also one of the few remaining real castles, Osaka castle is cool but AFAIK it's a concrete replica. I also recommend a quick trip over to Kobe as well to have some beef, it's pretty drat good and you get to say you had Kobe beef in Kobe Japan.

If you'd like to see an old historical castle that has been renovated but kept to the old style as much as possible (in other words, mostly empty wooden buildings), check out Himeji-jo.
If you'd like to visit a modern museum that will explain the history of the castle and the Sengoku Period (but it looks like a castle on the outside), then go to Osaka-jo.

Osaka-jo is basically a normal building that's been dressed up on the outside.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

What's a good little day trip from Tokyo that I can do on a Suica? I'm thinking a nice town. Or something.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Nikko? I don't know what you mean by "on a Suica" since it's pre-paid. You'd want to take a Shinkansen up to Utsunomiya, though, or it will take about 3 hours for the trip to Nikko. About 2 hours by Shinkansen.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

A Big... Dog posted:

What's a good little day trip from Tokyo that I can do on a Suica? I'm thinking a nice town. Or something.

Koedo: http://www.koedo.or.jp/foreign/english/

Also, Kamakura? Yokohama chinatown?

Stringent fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 23, 2016

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Stringent posted:

Koedo: http://www.koedo.or.jp/foreign/english/

Also, Kamakura? Yokohama chinatown?

These look perfect! Thanks!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

totalnewbie posted:

Nikko? I don't know what you mean by "on a Suica" since it's pre-paid. You'd want to take a Shinkansen up to Utsunomiya, though, or it will take about 3 hours for the trip to Nikko. About 2 hours by Shinkansen.

There's also a route from Shinjuku station via tobu thats quick if it floats your boat.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Good point. I always went down to Nikko from the north so I forgot all about that.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

A Big... Dog posted:

I'm in Tokyo for a couple days on my own next week, and I could definitely burn an evening with some goons and beers. Let me know if anyone has any plans anywhere!

I could possibly take you to a comedy show tomorrow(Wednesday) night, but not 100% sure of my schedule yet.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Out of curiosity why do Japanese people stand outside the bathtub when they wash? I can understand not wanting to wash all the dirt off yourself in a tub of water you're sitting in unless you're going to drain it, but it seems like showers inside the bathtub are not a thing they are into using for some reason. The fact that Japanese bathroom floors are like gym shower floors, complete with a drain so that people can stand outside a perfectly good bathtub and hose themselves down with the detachable shower head rather simply stand inside the bathtub and do the same without getting water all over the bathroom floor seems a tad strange. Anyone know what's up with this? Are they just trying to conserve water or something?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 2, 2016

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
After you wash your body, you hop in the tub for a nice soak. Gotta keep the tub clean!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Multiple people use the same bath water. One family, one bath.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The best part about those family baths is the pubes floating around.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The bath/shower is what you'd call a "wet room," and the changing area, sink, etc. are in an adjacent room. You take a shower AND a bath. :japan:

Small "unit baths" in hotels (and lovely apartments) are American-style where you stand in the tub and fiddle with a mediocre shower curtain.

Trigger warning:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
making GBS threads where you wash is so barbaric.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

making GBS threads where you wash is so barbaric.

:yeah:

Also, washlet master race.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Typical Japanese hop in the bathtub immediately after showering. So unless you want to bathe in your own filth you should shower outside the tub. Otherwise you'll need to wait for the tub to fill after your shower, like a barbarian.

Most newer apartments have the toilet separate from the bath/shower room.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Typical Japanese hop in the bathtub immediately after showering. So unless you want to bathe in your own filth you should shower outside the tub. Otherwise you'll need to wait for the tub to fill after your shower, like a barbarian.

Most newer apartments have the toilet separate from the bath/shower room.

It's the only way I can bathe now.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I am an Australian and after visiting Japan twice, I am strongly considering incorporating a Japanese style shower/bath room and bidet toilet seats if I ever build a house again.

EDIT: Don't build a house, it's a giant pain in the arse and takes ages. Also sucks heaps of your time.

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 3, 2016

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Vidaeus posted:

I am an Australian and after visiting Japan twice, I am strongly considering incorporating a Japanese style shower/bath room and bidet toilet seats if I ever build a house again.

EDIT: Don't build a house, it's a giant pain in the arse and takes ages. Also sucks heaps of your time.

Just in time water heaters and washlets almost make up for anime.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Well, it's four months out and I need to start planning another trip in October. For those of you living in Japan, I'd like some advice if you have any.

PLAN: Two week trip around Hokkaido, all the way through Aomori. It's not my first time to Hokkaido.

So here's the thing, I can do this trip in two ways:
  1. Fly in to Asahikawa. Beginning from the Daisetsuzan National Park, head through Furano and Biei to Sapporo, then head southwest through Toya/Noboribetsu to Hakodate. Take the Shinkansen to Aomori. Take a visit to the Shimokita Penninsula. Then go southwest through the Shirakawa Peninsula through Akita/Yamagata to Tsuruoka, visiting the Dewa Sanzan before heading out through Shonai Airport.

2. Fly in to Kushiro. Beginning from there, visit the Kushiro Marshlands, Akan, and Shiretoko Penninsula. Go towards the Daisetsuzan National Park, then through Furano/Biei to Sapporo, then head southwest through Toya/Noboribetsu to Hakodate. Take the Shinkansen to Aomori. Take a visit to the Shimokita Penninsula. Fly out of Aomori Airport.

So, any path in particular that you'd recommend? Also, any particular amazing locations/places to stay that you've been to in these areas? Keep in mind that I intend to drive quite a bit since it's Hokkaido, I love onsen, and am anticipating a lot of nature.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone know of a tattoo friendly, public onsen? I've been looking around, but I don't think they exist.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes

In Shikoku

Cessy
May 15, 2009

.Z. posted:

Does anyone know of a tattoo friendly, public onsen? I've been looking around, but I don't think they exist.

Stayed in one of these apartments some period of time ago, and there's a nearby tattoo-friendly onsen. It's also the first one listed here.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

.Z. posted:

I've been to about a dozen different onsen and I have lots of tattoos, never had anyone say anything. Most of these were in rural Tohoku also. I am a giant white guy though, so I don't think people were suspicious that I might be Yakuza.

Unrelated, but I recently got a tattoo in Kyoto and the artist made me sign a waiver thing before we started. I assumed it was your typical "I'm of legal age, ect.", but when I asked her she told me she did it because apparently Yakuza will never sign their name or give you their ID so she did it to make sure none of her customers were Yakuza. She said most of the tattoo industry in Japan is mobbed up so that's why she went off on her own.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's been like 8 years since I lost something on a train here, but how hard is it to get stuff back? I lost my phone on Sunday morning and thus far the JR lost and found hasn't found it...thoughts?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, what should I do about my bic sim contract. I don't have high hopes of retrieving my phone at this point and was wondering what my best bets are. Someone told me I could just get a second hand docomo phone and have a replacement bic sim put straight into it...this is so loving めんどくさい

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you have find my iPhone or google track android?

Activate that next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Do you have find my iPhone or google track android?

Activate that next time

I have that, but my phone is out of battery.