Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just realized I accidentally finished my last Empire long campaign without using a single witch hunter or assigning anyone to offices.

Woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sheep posted:

Just realized I accidentally finished my last Empire long campaign without using a single witch hunter or assigning anyone to offices.

Woops.

I'm still not really clear on the best way to use units like those bald priest guys or witch hunters. Do you just add them to your armies?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sheep posted:

Woops.

I assigned the first couple of offices but the rest seemed to be locked and I forgot all about them for the rest of the game. I assume the others unlock with buildings? I pretty much ignored heroes too except to send them on quests and having a wizard hanging out in one of my stacks.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Gunder posted:

I'm still not really clear on the best way to use units like those bald priest guys or witch hunters. Do you just add them to your armies?

I'm not trying to poo poo on people for being new to the game/series or whatever and this really isn't directed towards you specifically. You just happen to be the one triggering me right now. I get that it has only been out for a couple weeks, but the sheer amount of questions asked about poo poo that's literally right in front of you on the screen is astounding.

How do I do this? How do I know what this is for? What does this mean? There are loving buttons all over the goddamn screen. Click them and read some stuff. Explore the interface for christ's sake. READ what Warrior Priest and other heroes can do. Look at his skill trees to see what stats you can buff. Mouse over stuff and read the tooltips. drat near everything in the game has a tooltip.

You can put heroes in your army to let them fight/support, or deploy them around the map to do stuff like increase/decrease public order/corruption. Sometimes just having a hero in your army passively does stuff for you. The Warrior Priest gives you a massive buff to casualties replenished per turn (which you can increase) and he's a decent fighter. That's mostly how I use him, but he's also good and keeping corruption down wherever he is.

And before anyone brings it up, yes there are some ambiguous stuff in Total War games in general. However, it's usually stuff like how stats directly interact with each other and things like that. The vast majority of units and heroes are all extremely straightforward if you use your eyes and your functioning human brain.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 3, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gunder posted:

Priest guys get to add 15% replenishment on the map+22% damage shield for troops around them and Witch Hunters basically shoot for 400+ damage on enemy single targets like giants or commanders. Witch Hunters are also the assassin hero for empire on the map which is nice when enemy heroes are around. They are also the "slow the enemy army down so you can buttfuck them for raiding in your territories" Heroes are pretty great in this game.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I assigned the first couple of offices but the rest seemed to be locked and I forgot all about them for the rest of the game. I assume the others unlock with buildings? I pretty much ignored heroes too except to send them on quests and having a wizard hanging out in one of my stacks.

The problem with offices is that you can only assign lords. So unless you got a bunch of generic high level generals sitting around you aren't going to be using many offices besides Emperor and Patriarch. It's always worth sticking some schmuck into Treasurer, though.

Also you should totally use heroes with Empire, because they're all absurdly good. Witch Hunters are the best agents in the game, hands down, and Warrior Priests start off weak but turn into hilarious wrecking balls in combat with levels and then heal you up fast between fights.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
"Lord of the End Times" should be the achievement for finishing the Chaos campaign because mine is finally over after 276 turns. I usually finish Total War games in under half that. I was done the short campaign at ~180 but the Dwarfs confederated with some stupid Kharak halfway across the map when they were already circling the drain. I vassalized both Grimgor and the Topknots and they were both helpful at least, and Estalia took care of Bretonnia for me. The game ended when Ungrim underwayed out from the second last hold I had to raze and got run down by one of Manfred's retarded nephews before Archaon and Kholek could pincer him.

Speaking of vampires: Allying with them was probably my biggest mistake as the big field of corrupted turf in the north half of the map (basically a crescent from Kislev to Marienburg) forced me to encamp-move everywhere. On the other hand since they were an ally I got supercharged reinforcement while Manfred inexplicably tried bribing me to break allegiances back in the north. Meanwhile those norscan vassals had been raiding and corrupting as far as southwest Estalia.

Overall that was way more of a slog than I would have liked and I was autoresolving despite having to re-train a new giant half the time. Maybe Greenskins will be more fun when my friend and I play co-op.

Rygar201 posted:

I'm trying to split my time between this and the dangerously rad Witcher 3 Blood and Wine. I'm not sure Total War will be able to hold out guys.

Then I play a big battle with Grimgor and thing's are good again, hah

WAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Witcher 3 has lost out to three different games now (Fallout 4, XCOM 2, Total Warhammer). Now it's about to lose to "outside".

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 3, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just discovered that Banshees can reduce assassinations on your lords by like 40% or something ridiculous....

They are now in every army.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I was passing by and figured I'd sack sjotraken, only its garrison and about a half-stack defending it. The half stack is 8 grudge throwers.

They focussed down my silver chevron marauders :(

My stupid vassals keep getting their stupid armies killed and their stupid villages raided and razed. I'm guessing I shouldn't be sacking them first, but if you're going to go around having towns worth 10 grand I refuse to be blamed. There's one spot around doomkeep where Kholek has the movement range to sack two towns in the same turn. He lives there now.

e: I'm going to guess the answer is 'no', but do the better results from raise dead scale with unit sizes? My computer is old so I keep them on medium, two stacks going at each other is usually around 1000 troops each. The biggest bunch of corpses I've gotten was after sieging templehof, the best thing I got were more skellingtons to raise (1500 dead). I did get bats and dogs from a different empire fight, but I've never seen units above tier 1.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 3, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Back To 99 posted:

You can't have lizards without amazons imo

While I'm all for more hot babes in my strategy games, Amazons rank just below Halflings and just above Pygmies on the list of "Published Armies That Will Never Appear As DLC".

Draynar posted:

Holy poo poo dwarf miners with grenades are amazing.

There is no problem that can't be solved with enough grenades.

"But Trisk, what abou-"

You haven't used enough grenades yet. :colbert:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Boon posted:

I just discovered that Banshees can reduce assassinations on your lords by like 40% or something ridiculous....

They are now in every army.

They can also damage the walls on enemy settlements on the campaign map.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm having trouble getting started as vampires. I keep getting rolled by templehof. Yes the lovely vampires you are supposed to crush immediately or so I assume. Should I instead make peace and wait a while? I want that juicy province. If I go elsewhere they roll in while I'm gone and take my west sylvania towns. I have restarted a couple times. Help.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

beejay posted:

I'm having trouble getting started as vampires. I keep getting rolled by templehof. Yes the lovely vampires you are supposed to crush immediately or so I assume. Should I instead make peace and wait a while? I want that juicy province. If I go elsewhere they roll in while I'm gone and take my west sylvania towns. I have restarted a couple times. Help.

What difficulty are you on? Just raising dead as you march towards them for the opening battle should give you enough of an advantage with whichever lord's starting units to win. Recruit at the end of turn and raise dead as you march into to the other settlement and just ignore the castle if you want, it's pretty easy to head back if you need to and they can't do anything to Drakenhof anyway.

You can't do it quite as easily against other VC factions but hang around casting Nehek on your more important stuff once the battle's wrapped up to keep your units topped off. Use Spirit Leech on the opposing lord if you started with Mannfred.

e: I've done that as a VC opener 3 times and every time their other army went to defend eschen or w/e it's called, so be prepared for that. Mannfred is a beast and a general sniper and the Varghulf is great so you should be able to win a combined that stack and garrison fight, not sure with Kemmler.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 3, 2016

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I'm seeing a lot of people completing the game around turn 150. That's been pretty much my experience too with the Empire and Dwarfs. Now with Greenskins at 118. Grimgor has a full stack and is raising hell in VC territory, Azhag's making his way up the Eastern side of the map with a Waagh, and I've got a couple of no name warbosses razing and sacking their way across tilea and estalia. One stack is all savage orcs just because.

I do wish the global recruit button let you hire the best available units though, to benefit from all the clever building and stacking you can do. Otherwise you need a few logistics generals to ferry good units to your fronts and at 3% overhead each that gets expensive fast.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

A good fix for the Skaeling and Varg bullshit would be to make Chaos Corruption the exact peer of Vampiric corruption.

Right now NPC Chaos factions have no penalty on uncorrupted ground, they should suffer attrition to balance out their hilarious starting position of having corruption protected 2+ provinces that are nearly impossible to invade.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

beejay posted:

If you use raise dead before attacking their first army, you can easily win that first battle. I go straight for Castle Templehof and raise dead again when I cross the border. If your lucky after the first battle some remnant of their army will survive and flee towards the castle and you can attack them again in the same turn and wipe out the army and most of the garrison in the Castle. Then the next turn you can occupy it, and then go directly for Eschen because the other vampire will occupy it if you don't. In battles, use the zombies in front to tie up their troops and eat ammo
when you fight opponents with ranged.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Witcher 3 has lost out to three different games now (Fallout 4,

How does Witcher 3 lose to Fallout 4? It has characters and a story I actually give a poo poo about (something very few video games have ever succeeded at for me and certainly not Fallout 4) and doesn't feel nearly as repetitive.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wafflecopper posted:

How does Witcher 3 lose to Fallout 4? It has characters and a story I actually give a poo poo about (something very few video games have ever succeeded at for me and certainly not Fallout 4) and doesn't feel nearly as repetitive.

If he's full of poo poo, it does. That's the only way the best game of the past 5 years loses to the hot mess that is Fallout 4.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Trade seems really weak as the Empire, and really good as Dwarves. Upon reflection, this is because Dwarven trade goods are superior (gems right at the start, exclusive access to Dwarf beer) while Franz putzes around with clay pots and dyes as his easiest resources to access.

With this in mind, as well as the tendency of the Bretonnia dukedoms to fail to consolidate in the face of Estalian and Dwarfen aggression, and the general attractiveness of keeping the Empire provinces alive due to the End Times and how big the areas are in the middle of the Empire, I am going to re-roll again: this time, I'm sticking to the lands west of the river Reik (and maybe Nuln) for expansion, and leaving the rest to Imperial allies.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

beejay posted:

Don't go after Eschen first. Instead, chase that first dude that retreats back toward Templehof on the first turn. He should pull in the garrison and the other army and the UI will say that you're badly outmatched, but that's bullshit. Manny is basically invincible and so is his varghulf that early in the game. Set him and the varghulf (hereafter referred to as Fluffy) on the enemy lords and hit them with spirit leech until they die. Use invocation to keep Manny and Fluffy topped off. You'll lose the rest of your army, but who cares? Then siege Templehof and take it, then Eschen, then Waldenhof. Raise dead each time so you have chaff to distract the enemy whilst Manny and Fluffy do the heavy lifting. Give no fucks if your zombies die because gently caress zombies. You should also be making bank since you pay no upkeep other than for those two.

Disclaimer: I've only done this on hard. It may not work on v hard.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty much, Mannfred and his pet monster can solo the entire army so long as your careful about morale, just keep your army in reserve until the leader get sniped, if you use raise dead and recruit a new general on turn 1 you should have the entire western and eastern province by turn 5, I kept templehof and the other guy as vassals because they make good invasion deterrents and trading partners.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

wiegieman posted:

If he's full of poo poo, it does. That's the only way the best game of the past 5 years loses to the hot mess that is Fallout 4.

Sorry you guys don't like good games, I guess.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

Sorry you guys don't like good games, I guess.

I liked Fallout 4 for a while, I got bored of it eventually, but I wouldn't say it's a bad game. Witcher 3 just seems so much better in every way.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So uhh, vassals can refuse trade agreements.

My trick with VC is to recruit and raise your first turn. The enemy stays there for your quest until end of turn 2 where he suicides.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So ultimately, opinions on the game seem positive? Are most of the complaints from Rome 2 gone?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Most of the complaints from Rome 2 had been fixed by Attilla and this just seems to carry on from that.

There's still some stuff to be fixed but none of it is major unless you really love Multiplayer because he Multiplayer balance is hot garbage right now.

If you just want a game where fantasy armies kick the living or unliving poo poo out of each other this is a great one that works far, far better than Rome 2 did.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Onmi posted:

So ultimately, opinions on the game seem positive? Are most of the complaints from Rome 2 gone?

Rome 2 was bad mostly because it was nonfunctional on release, rather than it being an inherently bad game.

Wahammer also seems to nail the big issue with TW games, which is staying interesting by midgame. In this installment, it's an apocalyptic threat rolling in out of the north right about the time when you'd be tediously map-painting against hapless foes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Onmi posted:

Pretty much, yeah. The game's pretty bug free (only had two crashes so far in... way too much time played), all the factions play significantly differently, and the campaign is actually pretty decently paced for once. The main annoyances right now are fiddly agents, enemy armies playing keep-away, and pretty wonky balance in some places, particularly magic. Though fortunately there are already mods out to address all three of those. I'd say this is easily the best Total War since Shogun 2. Hell, arguably even including Shogun 2 if you're into Warhammer.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 3, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I actually got 2 hard locks while marathoning VCs but this is The Year Of Our Lord 2016 and I have SSDs.

Game is Good though seriously. The only standing problems are design decisions on CAs part, namely, AI having equal or better strategic movement (players should always be faster/more flexible) and Agents being annoying.

Both of these are easily solved with mods. This will be a great game for modding.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Xae posted:

A good fix for the Skaeling and Varg bullshit would be to make Chaos Corruption the exact peer of Vampiric corruption.

Right now NPC Chaos factions have no penalty on uncorrupted ground, they should suffer attrition to balance out their hilarious starting position of having corruption protected 2+ provinces that are nearly impossible to invade.

This could be interesting, definitely. At least for the Varg and Skaelings.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Vargs posted:

You could start a new campaign as Empire and just migrate to the Border Princes provinces. I did that sort of thing as VCs, opting to ditch Sylvania immediately to take over Estalia and Bretonnia.

That's actually intriguing. I like playing VC but hate the start position. Now I wanna start a new VC campaign somewhere on the west / southwest coast, Templehof can have entire Sylvania for all I care. I'm guessing I'd need to conquer some odd towns here and there to fight attrition on the way to Estalia but it should be doable otherwise thanks to being able to raise dead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fewd posted:

That's actually intriguing. I like playing VC but hate the start position. Now I wanna start a new VC campaign somewhere on the west / southwest coast, Templehof can have entire Sylvania for all I care. I'm guessing I'd need to conquer some odd towns here and there to fight attrition on the way to Estalia but it should be doable otherwise thanks to being able to raise dead.

There's actually one other undead faction on the map far away from Sylvania, Mousillion. They're in the far west, among the Bretonnian countries. Starting there and conquering your way southwards to the coast while staying west of the mountain range could be a pretty fun change of pace.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Onmi posted:

I prefer Rome 2 in a lot of ways.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fewd posted:

You can just stay in raid stance to avoid attrition. It'll tank your diplomatic relations, but who cares

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

victrix posted:

The workshop?

Agents suck nuts, but after realizing you can train your own agents up easily by repeatedly damaging an enemy settlement or bringing them along in battles, it got a bit better. The real problem is unlocking multiple heroes isn't something that happens fast (or at least, it wasn't for me as Dwarfs). They're all mid/high tier building unlocks that are expensive and slow to build, so having more than a handful out isn't very likely, and if you've got 2-3 hostile factions gunning for you, you're up against an early 2-6 heroes while you have 1-2 at most - and if one of your 'gift' heroes dies, welp.

You can sort of game it by sending isolated lords around as targets, but that feels really loving stupid.
You can also use diplomacy to make sure you're only at war with one or two factions at a time. Only factions you're at war with will send agents after you. Related, try not to get into prolonged, dragged out wars if you can avoid it.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 3, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Vargs posted:

You can just stay in raid stance to avoid attrition. It'll tank your diplomatic relations, but who cares

Channelling too IIRC.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

victrix posted:

I'm not sure anything is going to be more rad than playing lizardmen in this game

They're either going to have to make a new Lustria campaign map if they're going to include Lizardmen, or do some serious handwaving to explain how the Lizardguys suddenly showed up on the other side of the world.

Then again explaining the Lizardmen being in the Old World wouldn't be hard. "Sup dudes thought you could use a hand with Chaos" is a pretty good 'why', "A undead frog wizard did it" is a pretty good 'how'.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Geisladisk posted:

They're either going to have to make a new Lustria campaign map if they're going to include Lizardmen, or do some serious handwaving to explain how the Lizardguys suddenly showed up on the other side of the world.

Then again explaining the Lizardmen being in the Old World wouldn't be hard. "Sup dudes thought you could use a hand with Chaos" is a pretty good 'why', "A undead frog wizard did it" is a pretty good 'how'.

There are going to be full standalone expansions that will stitch back to the main map. There's been no word on their makeup besides that but it's almost certain there'll be a New World expansion with Helves, Delves, Lizards, and naval combat.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gitro posted:

Channelling too IIRC.

Unfortunately no. Channeling seems pretty useless tbh. If a province has enough vamp corruption to stop you from taking attrition damage, you probably own it and can replenish normally anyways. I had it come in handy like once ever over the entire campaign. Certainly not as good as the dwarf/orc underway stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Vargs posted:

Unfortunately no. Channeling seems pretty useless tbh. If a province has enough vamp corruption to stop you from taking attrition damage, you probably own it and can replenish normally anyways. I had it come in handy like once ever over the entire campaign. Certainly not as good as the dwarf/orc underway stance.

Really? Could've sworn I saw it in the description. Ah well.

To be fair underway is really, really good.

• Locked thread