Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't that more because of RDJ not wanting to do that since it was too personal for him

A recent article:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/31/civil-war-did-not-cause-the-civil-war-at-marvel-the-rot-set-in-with-iron-man-2/

quote:

I’ve talked to a number of sources who disagree with the Russos’ specific take on the cause of the big split at Marvel. Rather than occurring during Civil War, its origins are with Iron Man 2. And what happened when Marvel executives  freaked out after seeing an early cut of the movie. A lot of money had been spent, Marvel wasn’t willing to go back to the drawing board. But changes had to be made.

Do you remember the scenes with a drunken Tony Stark in the suit? Originally, they were far worse. Scenes which showed Stark falling down drunk, and being cruel, demeaning and frankly misogynist to Pepper Potts were cut, reedited and reshot in order keep the character from being totally irredeemable by the end of his first sequel. Though some of the drunkenness still exists in the final cut, in a more comedic fashion.

Kevin Feige encountered opposition by the rest of the Marvel team for a lack of judgement over how he allowed the creative team on the movie to treat Marvel’s up-and-coming franchise.  And he was overruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

This is an interesting article and seems to paint Perlmutter in a better light than I have seen anyone talk about him before.

I also didn't realize that Doctor Strange will be the first movie without Marvel's input (only Marvel Studios). Should we be worried about that?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

Did you like it less than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

Never saw it. It sounds pretty awful though, so I'd consider that a win.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ihatepants posted:

I also didn't realize that Doctor Strange will be the first movie without Marvel's input (only Marvel Studios). Should we be worried about that?

Yes. Clearly it will be the one to sink Marvel.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Huh. That makes a lot of sense, since when I first watched IM2 I thought it was odd that he wasn't drinking alcohol, but every other scene had him swilling down green muck because "his power source was killing him?" And then at his house party he basically acts like a belligerent drunk anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In another universe there exists a version of Iron Man 2 where the central premise is that Tony is struggling with his alcohol addiction while simultaneously dealing with the discovery that his father was actually kind of a shithead who stole another person's discovery and it is a much much better film than the one we got.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd think that would be an Aquaman/Hal Jordan movie.

Or an Aquaman/Flash movie, which I could totally get into if they went with a fun version of Aquaman instead of Khal Drogo, King of the Sea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but for a reboot you want to do something different than the James Cameron version.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ihatepants posted:

This is an interesting article and seems to paint Perlmutter in a better light than I have seen anyone talk about him before.

It was the same way when Bleeding Cool originally reported on the split, if I remember right. Rich Johnston really wants Perlmutter to be the good guy, for some reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chaos Hippy posted:

Or an Aquaman/Flash movie, which I could totally get into if they went with a fun version of Aquaman instead of Khal Drogo, King of the Sea.

I wonder if he'll ever be referred to as Arthur Curry, because when I hear that name, I do not imagine Conan. I feel like they're over compensating with Aquaman in the DCCU, making him really bad rear end and tough by Momoa's casting. It feels like they wanted to head off "Aquaman is dumb, he swims and talks to fish" comments by going "yea, he looks dumb, dumb like your rear end he just kicked!". While the opposite is true with the Flash, I cannot see this version from Ezra Miller being the heart and moral compass of the JL, or even the jokey one, he looks more like he'd go to Batman 'eh, whatever' when told to run fast and get the Motherbox. Yes i'm basing this on literally 5 seconds of the movie, but that's the point of that, to give us your first glimpse of these characters and what to expect.

Weren't most of Pearlmutter's ideas less about making the movies, good, but making them more suitable for selling action figures? Wasn't he behind the whole "no girl toys" thing?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if he'll ever be referred to as Arthur Curry, because when I hear that name, I do not imagine Conan. I feel like they're over compensating with Aquaman in the DCCU, making him really bad rear end and tough by Momoa's casting. It feels like they wanted to head off "Aquaman is dumb, he swims and talks to fish" comments by going "yea, he looks dumb, dumb like your rear end he just kicked!". While the opposite is true with the Flash, I cannot see this version from Ezra Miller being the heart and moral compass of the JL, or even the jokey one, he looks more like he'd go to Batman 'eh, whatever' when told to run fast and get the Motherbox. Yes i'm basing this on literally 5 seconds of the movie, but that's the point of that, to give us your first glimpse of these characters and what to expect.

Weren't most of Pearlmutter's ideas less about making the movies, good, but making them more suitable for selling action figures? Wasn't he behind the whole "no girl toys" thing?

Going way too hard in the opposite direction has been DC's MO with Aquaman for a while now. It didn't start with the DCCU.

ImpAtom posted:

In another universe there exists a version of Iron Man 2 where the central premise is that Tony is struggling with his alcohol addiction while simultaneously dealing with the discovery that his father was actually kind of a shithead who stole another person's discovery and it is a much much better film than the one we got.

Does it still have Whiplash?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO19XY2rqc

It's the trailer for the BvS Ultimate edition release. It seems to add a few more scenes focusing on Superman and Clark, in particular the Africa scene, and him investigating the Batman as a reporter.

I, for one, am hyped!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
But will Superman smile when he saves people?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That movie is already too long, even if by some miracle they manage to make Superman something other than an aloof nobody in his own movie it's not like it's gonna fix the pacing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MrAristocrates posted:

even if by some miracle they manage to make Superman something other than an aloof nobody in his own movie

I'm conflicted about this, because being about Superman from a kind of outside perspective (or through the lens of Batman's madness) was one of BvS's strengths.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I, for one, think that a movie that's trying to portray an ideological conflict between superheroes should dramatize a clash in perspectives, by which I mean Superman should actually have one.

Going "it's from Batman's perspective!" is actually a huge copout because this movie needs to be about two heroes, not one.

But I'm talking to you, so I've already lost.

Arist fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 3, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MrAristocrates posted:

I, for one, think that a movie that's trying to portray an ideological conflict between superheroes should dramatize a clash in perspectives, by which I mean Superman should actually have one.

Superman wants to stop a warlord from trampling on civil liberties, this was pretty clear in the theatrical cut already.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh boy, another BvS argument. Surely this will be the time that everybody will convince everyone else.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

That movie is already too long, even if by some miracle they manage to make Superman something other than an aloof nobody in his own movie it's not like it's gonna fix the pacing.

I respectfully disagree, the biggest issue isn't the length of the movie, but the editing and pacing, both of which could be improved with the additional content. Looks very promising on that front imo.

But then again, if you really hated everything about this movie the directors cut probably won't change you being wrong anyway

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

I, for one, think that a movie that's trying to portray an ideological conflict between superheroes

...did you even see it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

...did you even see it?

I did, I'm complaining that it didn't actually do that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Civil liberties are being trampled on in your city; good people living in fear."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm living in fear of your posting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quesada says Marvel owns the movie rights to Namor

quote:

Appearing on the Fat Man on Batman podcast, interviewer Kevin Smith asked Quesada, "...The same people that own Iron Man, own the Sub-Mariner?"

Quesada replied, "I can't speak for studios...As far as I know, yeah we do. It’s not at Fox, it’s not at Sony...Yeah."

As for the possibility of seeing Namor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe sometime soon, Quesada said, "I cannot confirm or deny, sir."

You sons of bitches better make a goddamn Namor movie..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clark Kent decided he is okay with warlords as long as they help rescue his mother apparently.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

A Namor movie would loving suck, especially considering that the Fantastic Four don't exist in the MCU. Now, a BP movie with Namor as the villain...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, he's good when he's either the villain or a foil.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Good to confirm they finally got the rights back at some point. Universal had the rights decades ago, but nothing ever came from it except very early plans to have The Rock play him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Once again, I shamelessly request that Shepard Smith be cast.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Huh. That makes a lot of sense, since when I first watched IM2 I thought it was odd that he wasn't drinking alcohol, but every other scene had him swilling down green muck because "his power source was killing him?" And then at his house party he basically acts like a belligerent drunk anyway.

I guess making Tony addicted to the suit instead is/was their alternate angle into that whole storyline.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

IM2 is basically how bad a movie can be due to Marvel/studio interference.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

notthegoatseguy posted:

IM2 is basically how bad a movie can be due to Marvel/studio interference.

But Kevin Feige IS Marvel / the Studio and he was the one that was overruled.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Chaos Hippy posted:

It was the same way when Bleeding Cool originally reported on the split, if I remember right. Rich Johnston really wants Perlmutter to be the good guy, for some reason.

Also for some reason the internet at large wants Perlmutter to be the bad guy. No one has heard his side of the story, but hey, I heard he's tight with money so he must be an all around ominous shitlord.

twistedmentat posted:

See! What a shitlord! He doesn't want girls to have toys!

Either that or toy makers have found out that boys age 6-12 have shown an equal amount of interest in playing with action figures while girls start to lose interest around 8. So toy makers have a pretty reliable six year window to make profits off "boy toys" and a two year window to make a profit off "girl toys." It can't possibly be that little girls mature faster and have a more varied interest in things like drawing, coloring or are more aware of their appearance and like to play dress up, wear jewelry and make up. No, its got to be crusty old man sexism.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heathen posted:

Either that or toy makers have found out that boys age 6-12 have shown an equal amount of interest in playing with action figures while girls start to lose interest around 8. So toy makers have a pretty reliable six year window to make profits off "boy toys" and a two year window to make a profit off "girl toys." It can't possibly be that little girls mature faster and have a more varied interest in things like drawing, coloring or are more aware of their appearance and like to play dress up, wear jewelry and make up. No, its got to be crusty old man sexism.

Whooosh.

(Action figures aren't made for children.)

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Whooosh.

(Action figures aren't made for children.)

Neither are comics, but we constantly hear about needing more and more diversity to serve as role models. Role models for who? The thirty year olds that read comics?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movies they eventually make about them are totally aimed at children.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I never thought I would see someone defend the weird no girls toys thing. Though is it really defending it if your argument sucks? Makes you think.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heathen posted:

Neither are comics, but we constantly hear about needing more and more diversity to serve as role models. Role models for who? The thirty year olds that read comics?

For the misogynist frequently racist kind of nerds who whine about sjws and diversity, yes, they need it more than literal children do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heathen posted:

So, uh, you know "girl toys" is referring to 'toys of girls" not "toys aimed at girls," right? I mean even if we take the rest of your argument as a given (and shouldn't) you're still aiming at the wrong target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the whole thing is that 'girl toys' and 'boy toys' is the crusty old man sexism.

• Locked thread