Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

muscles like this? posted:

Depending on where that guy lives a barcade would probably be a smarter idea.

Misread that as barricade. It would probably be better for keeping unpleasant nerds out of somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There's one in Milwaukee that seems pretty decent. I'd love to see one in Madison.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I laughed at how he's talking to people who did set design for Game of Thrones .

One of those guys lives next door to my gf and he made his kids an awesome treehouse. That's my story. Namaste.

Fat Pony
Oct 7, 2005

THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH
The AFK in Seattle is awesome. Good food, good drinks, really fun atmosphere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I laughed at how he's talking to people who did set design for Game of Thrones and how they'd love to help design the shop, if he can get the money. Like no poo poo they'll do stuff if you actually pay them to.

Only if it's a sufficiently interesting project. They can work on a wide variety of things that will be fun and advance their careers, they aren't going to come help you redecorate the baby's room just because you met their rate.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The gaming bar in my town is legit ok, there are a higher amount of ponytails and trenchcoats but otherwise it's ok if you like videogaming. Their beer selection sucks a lot though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think this has been posted yet: Fontus, the self-filling water bottle!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fontus-the-self-filling-water-bottles#/

It's basically a portable dehumidifier so there's no reason it shouldn't work, right? Except that to be at all useful, it'd have to be several orders of magnitude more efficient than commercially available equipment, and they haven't done the tech development yet so it's not like they have a breakthrough that would allow that. Either they're as clueless as the backers ($300k worth), or it's just a scam.

There's a good physics/engineering explanation of why it won't work on eevblog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhnoSREmWVY

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cross-post from TG:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet: Fontus, the self-filling water bottle!
It was posted a couple of pages ago, but it's worth laughing at again. Iirc they got booted from Kickstarter for not having a functional prototype and restarted on indiegogo.

It's hilarious how many projects there are where the designer thinks that breaking the second law of thermodynamics is just a minor technical hurdle that they'll have sorted "soon".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Since when does kickstarter have a rule about needing working prototypes? They give all sorts of nutty/scammy poo poo a pass.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So is Loss.jpg like the wild card or something?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cross-post from TG:

I love how ugly those "Collector's Coins", and they even have dumb phrases from the comic in them.

I also enjoy the shot of the CAD box next to the Gunnerkrigg Court box, because the difference in art quality is phenomenal. I honestly can't imagine that there's much of a market for this.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Always remember Exploding Kittens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Since when does kickstarter have a rule about needing working prototypes? They give all sorts of nutty/scammy poo poo a pass.

IIRC they changed the rules after the Ouya raised a ton of money on nothing but empty promises and target renders.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I also enjoy the shot of the CAD box next to the Gunnerkrigg Court box, because the difference in art quality is phenomenal. I honestly can't imagine that there's much of a market for this.

Not just Gunnerkrigg Court, but GC and Girl Genius.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
You'd think the pitch video would've had at least some mention of how the game works instead of just Buckley stroking his cock and "hilarious" robot overlord jokes.

Also I'm pretty sure he left Wifemom off his list of characters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpacePig posted:

I love how ugly those "Collector's Coins", and they even have dumb phrases from the comic in them.

Is "May the ownage be with you" really a phrase that CAD uses? Ugh.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Zaphod42 posted:

Is "May the ownage be with you" really a phrase that CAD uses? Ugh.

There was an episode of the short-lived animated series that was, by the most generous definition, a Star Wars parody, and it used "The Ownage" as an analog of The Force. I think it worked its way into the comic as well, but I'm not sure whether it has anything directly to do with that wintereenmas thing or not.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Am I missing something, or are the mechanics just "War, but with modifiers and card order manipulation?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh boy I can't wait for the Winter-een-mas card

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Always remember Exploding Kittens.

my favorite part of exploding kittens is that for as dumb of a game as it is, its the only big media coverage kickstarter that actually delivered on time and on spec

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

jpmeyer posted:

my favorite part of exploding kittens is that for as dumb of a game as it is, its the only big media coverage kickstarter that actually delivered on time and on spec

The Oatmeal guy is basically a businessman whose comics are a cold calculated product based on search engine and social media trends, marketing and delivering a product is the one thing he knows how to do.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Otisburg posted:

There's one in Milwaukee that seems pretty decent. I'd love to see one in Madison.

Ping Time on State was cool (it wasn't busy, moved to Willy).
Ping Time on Willy was okay (more space, harder to get to, no booze, closed)
Then there was one by East Towne Mall for a while in the late nineties to mid 2000s, their machines were often out of order and it was always a disappointment. Might've been owned by Video Game Xchange?
I haven't lived in Wisconsin for years now, but when I was there lots of bar owners took to the idea until they learned of the history of it; as soon as they knew what Ping Time was like on State and that it failed they'd lose their gusto.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

The Oatmeal guy is basically a businessman whose comics are a cold calculated product based on search engine and social media trends

was it buzzfeed that wrote the great article about this or am i not remembering right.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for the Winter-een-mas card

Decemberween is a better holiday anyays.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

was it buzzfeed that wrote the great article about this or am i not remembering right.

The Oatmeal should write a long post about The Oatmeal.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

The Barisieur is an automatic coffee or tea brewer that eases you into the day with the sound of bubbling water and the smell of freshly brewed coffee or loose leaf tea.

It encourages a ritual in order to establish a routine before going to sleep, signalling to the body and mind that it is time to unwind and relax.

Only $400 bucks.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Monopthalmus posted:

The Barisieur is an automatic coffee or tea brewer that eases you into the day with the sound of bubbling water and the smell of freshly brewed coffee or loose leaf tea.

It encourages a ritual in order to establish a routine before going to sleep, signalling to the body and mind that it is time to unwind and relax.

Only $400 bucks.

WTF, aren't there coffee machines that do this already? You could set that on your nightstand if you're so inclined.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The list "things I want right next to my head while I'm sleeping" doesn't include "glass and scalding hot liquids." I mean yeah you can put it on your dresser across the room but at that point just get a nice coffeemaker

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

WTF, aren't there coffee machines that do this already? You could set that on your nightstand if you're so inclined.

They've been around since the 1930s.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

The Oatmeal guy is basically a businessman whose comics are a cold calculated product based on search engine and social media trends, marketing and delivering a product is the one thing he knows how to do.

Unironically: Good for him.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

"Help me tattoo my childhood passion"

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-tattoo-my-childhood-passion#/

"Having grown up in the 90's my life was influenced by art, cartoons, and, thanks to living in America, food."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/493034895/pokemon-barbecue-pins-and-stickers?ref=nav_search

"Create My Own Pokemon Parody Card Game" (in TYOOL 2016)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/927907192/create-my-own-pokemon-parody-game?ref=nav_search

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't think the man grew up in the 90s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't think the man grew up

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Guy Mann posted:

They've been around since the 1930s.

Yeah but do those have companion apps, cloud based solutions, iPhone docks, artisinal gluten free woods, and other trendy millennial bullshit gimmicks? Don't think so! :colbert:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That was what I was implying, yes.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

I started reading his business plan and was feeling kinda bad for him cause he clearly put a lot of effort into this and is investing his life savings into it ($200k), but then I saw he estimated $124,600 in total payroll costs for year 1, split across 7 people.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

17k/year before taxes? I might show up to work wearing a shirt. Will still probably bother to put on pants, but no promises.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Happy loss.jpg-day everyone! It's eight years old today. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lodin posted:

Happy loss.jpg-day everyone! It's eight years old today. :toot:

It would have been 8, you mean. :smith: