Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MeinPanzer posted:

I know a lot of people like the ARC, but it breaks so many of the principles that make Star Wars ships look great - a neat, clean silhouette; a balanced profile; mostly hard edges and points; and weapons that are proportionate and not particularly prominent. It just looks like the result of someone really trying to create a distinct-looking-but-still-recognizable X-Wing prototype instead of something that might have organically developed into the X-Wing.

Also, I guess I just don't like EU/non-film ships that just look like ships from other IPs, as the E-Wing still rubs me the wrong way for looking like it's from Battlestar Galactica.

Star Wars is pulp sci fi dude. You just made these design rules up, they are true for literally no existing ships.

ARC was in clone wars and the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eimi posted:

And the Viper is amazing, and also probably explains why I love the drat E-Wing so much.

If anything the E-Wing's problem is that it doesn't look enough like the Viper. I'm actually thinking of picking up some 1/270 Vipers off shapeways to use as proxies, though that would run into the issue of my inability to paint :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
All I want is a TIE/sf that costs 22 or less.

Ideally 19.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Some Numbers posted:

Ideally 19.

Based on the cost difference between Soontir and an Alpha Squadron Pilot, 19 would be a reasonable starting point for a PS1. 20 is more likely, 21 is entirely possible.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Strobe, still no word from De Rol Le, FYI.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Ideally 19.

I want a Missile upgrade that gives you a crew slot.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

I would also be totally okay with a Clone Wars era Y-wing model.

It'd be the perfect ship for an Astromech-slot Chopper too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Strobe posted:

Based on the cost difference between Soontir and an Alpha Squadron Pilot, 19 would be a reasonable starting point for a PS1. 20 is more likely, 21 is entirely possible.

Lowest SF PS is 3, so I'm just crossing my fingers.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I want a Missile upgrade that gives you a crew slot.

I'm in.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The thing I'm most excited for this wave is the R3 Astromech. Thank you for putting two in the ARC pack, FFG. That makes it a day one purchase for me.

Everything else is pretty unexciting from my perspective, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

This is a ship with T-70 X-wing durability and firepower with an auxiliary arc and a system slot. I would be surprised if it's any less than 23.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

This is a ship with T-70 X-wing durability and firepower with an auxiliary arc and a system slot. I would be surprised if it's any less than 23.

The PS 9 is 28 points. There's no goddamn way that a PS 3 is going to be only five points less than that. If we're looking at the T-70 in particular, the difference between the PS 9 pilot and the PS 4 pilot is 7 points. If the gulf is much more extreme than that for a TIE/sf I'll be shocked.

19 is possible, 20 is fairly likely.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

The PS 9 is 28 points. There's no goddamn way that a PS 3 is going to be only five points less than that. If we're looking at the T-70 in particular, the difference between the PS 9 pilot and the PS 4 pilot is 7 points. If the gulf is much more extreme than that for a TIE/sf I'll be shocked.

19 is possible, 20 is fairly likely.

If you look at that statline 19-20 is loving ridiculous.

You would be getting a ship that is better than a T-70 X-wing for 4-5 points less.

There are ships where the gulf between the top pilot and the bottom pilot is 6 points and 23 might be a touch underpriced but it's a lot more reasonable than 19-20.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 3, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Strobe posted:

If the R3 Astromech actually generates evade tokens in a non-ridiculous manner, generic E-wing pilots might make a comeback on the strength of two evade tokens per turn plus FCS on a 3 attack/3 agility ship.

I hope it's a 1 point personal Robo-Jan Ors.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

If you look at that statline 19-20 is loving ridiculous.

You would be getting a ship that is better than a T-70 X-wing for 4-5 points less.

There are ships where the gulf between the top pilot and the bottom pilot is 6 points and 23 might be a touch underpriced but it's a lot more reasonable than 19-20.

A ship that doesn't have boost and can't take autothrusters and has 2 attack (I know there's a 0-point title involved, but the statline is 2) is absolutely justified in being 19-20 points. If the dial is merely decent, then the TIE/sf competes neatly with a naked Y-wing.

Personally I think that title should be two or three points at minimum, but clearly FFG disagrees.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If we're talking about X-Wings, Wedge is 29 and Rookie Pilot is 21.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Strobe posted:

A ship that doesn't have boost and can't take autothrusters and has 2 attack (I know there's a 0-point title involved, but the statline is 2) is absolutely justified in being 19-20 points. If the dial is merely decent, then the TIE/sf competes neatly with a naked Y-wing.

Personally I think that title should be two or three points at minimum, but clearly FFG disagrees.

You have to value the title though, because it's clearly just rules text and intended to always be used. So the TIE SF should be evaluated as a T-70 with the option to attack twice in one turn and trading some abilities around. The biggest is losing autothrusters. If it's less than the T-70 than just gently caress this gay earth, etc.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Some Numbers posted:

If we're talking about X-Wings, Wedge is 29 and Rookie Pilot is 21.

On every ship that has a PS 9, the difference between the PS 9 cost and the cheapest is either 8 points or 9 points (Falcon doesn't count because ORS is terrible). Soontir is 9, Wedge is 8, Vader is 8, Dengar is 8, Poe is 9, Talonbane is 8. If the PS 9 TIE/sf is 28 points, then odds are pretty good on the PS 3 being 19-21. At most.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

The 0-point title effectively makes the primary weapon 3. If you ignore the fact that it has an aux arc, it is like a T-70 with barrel roll instead of boost but it has an aux arc. It can't take autothrusters but the system slot is considerably superior to the tech or astromech slots for generics.

Just FYI, the difference between Zuckuss and Ruthless Freelancer is 5 points.

The 0-point titles are going to be baked into the ships- they're just there to have mechanics for the different arcs so they don't clutter up the pilot cards.

If you look at the ARC-170, for example, 29 points is obscenely expensive for a ship that's strictly 2 attack value, even with the auxiliary arc. It's more than generic PWTs. They point them with the titles in mind already.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 3, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

Wedge Antilles (29)
Crack Shot (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
BB-8 (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Crack Shot (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Crack Shot (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

This... this could work...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Zuckuss is a PS 7, not PS 9. I'm 100% sure you knew that, so I have no idea what relevance that is to a discussion about the likely cost of a PS 3 generic based on the PS 9 pilot's cost of the same ship. EDIT: Also using the Aux arc turns it into two 2-dice attacks, not a single 3 dice attack, likely at different targets. That makes it more similar to a BTL'd up Y-wing with Dorsal Turret than any other ship currently in the game, which is a whopping 21 points.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

Zuckuss is a PS 7, not PS 9. I'm 100% sure you knew that, so I have no idea what relevance that is to a discussion about the likely cost of a PS 3 generic based on the PS 9 pilot's cost of the same ship. EDIT: Also using the Aux arc turns it into two 2-dice attacks, not a single 3 dice attack, likely at different targets. That makes it more similar to a BTL'd up Y-wing with Dorsal Turret than any other ship currently in the game, which is a whopping 21 points.

T-70 X-wing with PS2 and 3-3-3-2 is 24 points.

Tie/SF with PS3 is (effectively)3-3-3-2 is 19-20 points(?)

FFG has done fixes, but are you out of your mind? These ships were probably not developed that long apart in time.

The title makes your primary weapon value 3. It also allows you to fire in both arcs at primary weapon value 2 if you want. The auxiliary arc could be considered basically additional utility to having a primary weapon of 3.

Quickdraw has a very marginal pilot ability- it will probably have some FAQ attention paid to it because i'm not sure FFG is going to allow for shots to take place during the activation phase. Aside from that, it will probably trigger once considering his mediocre defense and the lack of imperial shield regen. It would not surprise me if the difference between Quickdraw and the generic were only 5 points.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 3, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I almost feel like the opportunity to shoot in the activation phase means Quickdraw would be more powerful at PS8 or even 7, to shoot naked ships and ensure he's not arc-dodged.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
T-70 X-wing with PS9 and 3-2-3-3 is 33 points (+9)

TIE/sf with PS9 and 3-2-3-3 is 28 points (+?)

PS 9 is pretty goddamn valuable. There's no way that the value added to a TIE/sf is only five points for the privilege, when it costs a T-70 nine. PS 9 pilots are consistently, across every ship where the stats don't change between pilots, eight or nine points more expensive.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Otisburg posted:

I almost feel like the opportunity to shoot in the activation phase means Quickdraw would be more powerful at PS8 or even 7, to shoot naked ships and ensure he's not arc-dodged.

Enhanced Scopes. :science:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

Enhanced Scopes. :science:

Nice. I always forget about that one. Unfortunately, it precludes Electronic Waffles, so you need another way to self-plink a shield.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

T-70 X-wing with PS9 and 3-2-3-3 is 33 points (+9)

TIE/sf with PS9 and 3-2-3-3 is 28 points (+?)

PS 9 is pretty goddamn valuable. There's no way that the value added to a TIE/sf is only five points for the privilege, when it costs a T-70 nine. PS 9 pilots are consistently, across every ship where the stats don't change between pilots, eight or nine points more expensive.

PS9 is valuable, but Quickdraw neither has an ability nor the slots or upgrade to leverage it. He doesn't have the ability to regen. He can't take autothrusters, he doesn't have Poe's strong defensive ability. Barrel roll is pretty good, but I have a hunch that his dial is not as green as the original FO which makes PtL less feasible, nor can he evade.

Now if Quickdraw is allowed to actually do the thing where he takes a shield damage to shoot before an ace moves, during the activation phase, I would say his ability is ridiculous. However, if it's just a combat phase thing(this will probably be FAQ'd right upon release) his ability is quite weak and he'll get one extra shot out of it before he loses his shields and becomes an ace with no autothrusters or other real defensive shenanigans.

Usually when PS3 is the lowest pilot skill, it's because FFG doesn't want to crash the price too low for a ship.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 3, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You're insane if you think PS 9 is only worth 5 extra points over PS 3. His ability could be literally blank text, and it'd still be six or seven points over a PS 3.

EDIT: if his ability was combat phase only, it'd say "Once per round after defending, if you take one or more shield damage you may immediately perform a free primary weapon attack." It's pretty clearly the first shield lost, period.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

You're insane if you think PS 9 is only worth 5 extra points over PS 3. His ability could be literally blank text, and it'd still be six or seven points over a PS 3.

You're insane if you think 3-2-3-3 is going to be 19-20 points, much less at PS3.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's sort of weird to me from a fluff perspective that you can get a pilot of say a TIE Defender with a PS1. Instead of "Delta Squadron Pilot" it should be "Advanced Military Hardware Stolen By Hapless Janitor In Comedy of Errors." Hell, even squints don't seem like something the Imps would waste on absolute dross. Maybe Alpha Squadron Pilots are all admirals kids who are assigned by nepotism rather than merit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, considering that Rookie Pilots are PS2, PS1 Interceptor and Defender pilots don't make much sense.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, considering that Rookie Pilots are PS2, PS1 Interceptor and Defender pilots don't make much sense.

The academy is just for drinking, not flying.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Not like the E-Wing generics make that much more sense. The E-Wing is supposed to be designed after the Rebels won and became the Republic so they shouldn't be handing them out to anyone who showed up that day and was breathing.

(Also the Xwing generic pilots naming scheme always bothered me and the T-70 did it better, it should've been Red Squad for PS2 and Rogue squad for PS4.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, pretty much anything that you can't picture as some garrison-quality pulled-from-mothballs thing, or in the Empire's case "thrown at the foe heedless of losses" is hard to picture being fielded with the least trained pilots.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As rough as some of FFGs rules have been and will doubtlessly continue to be, I find it hard to believe that they'd make a pilot like Quickdraw and then hastily errata it to be "in the combat phase only whoops" like they somehow couldn't foresee that being a thing in need of clarification if that was in fact their intent. That's Star Trek Attack Wing levels of not paying attention. Electronic Baffles shenanigans aren't the only way to lose shields during activation, there are plenty of ways for that to happen, and so I'm going to assume that Quickdraw being able to shoot during the movement phase is in fact the way it's supposed to work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So wait, who has this stuff already and why when Imp Vets and that Heroes of the Resistance pack aren't even out yet?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

So wait, who has this stuff already and why when Imp Vets and that Heroes of the Resistance pack aren't even out yet?

According to the page those photos are from, they're prototypes rather than the real thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

As rough as some of FFGs rules have been and will doubtlessly continue to be, I find it hard to believe that they'd make a pilot like Quickdraw and then hastily errata it to be "in the combat phase only whoops" like they somehow couldn't foresee that being a thing in need of clarification if that was in fact their intent. That's Star Trek Attack Wing levels of not paying attention. Electronic Baffles shenanigans aren't the only way to lose shields during activation, there are plenty of ways for that to happen, and so I'm going to assume that Quickdraw being able to shoot during the movement phase is in fact the way it's supposed to work.

There's a lotta things that's gonna get FAQ'd if he can do it during the activation phase, then. To be fair, he can't get both baffles and scopes so it takes more finessing to do it- going through rocks most likely unless you want to lose most of the advantages of shooting at that point.

I also kinda think the article was rushed out due to the leak and there's a possibility of that being the culprit ala the scum Sabine thing and the shadowcaster pilots.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 3, 2016

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
There's a torp with the action: heading, so Quickdraw may not be the only one able to attack in the activation phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hoiyes posted:

There's a torp with the action: heading, so Quickdraw may not be the only one able to attack in the activation phase.

It looks like "pick a ship in one of your arcs something something then roll a dice and apply all hit/crit results" rather than an attack, but we'll see what happens.

• Locked thread