Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

omg I can't believe I missed this. I've been looking for this for years at a normal price. Wreckers have prices like $500 and poo poo like that. I don't even care if it's active I'll pay for a sub.

2nd in line if Senor doesn't take it for whatever reason. AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, you're on deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAustria
Jul 25, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Thanks for the feedback. From my research, if you keep all of the fluids change, specifically the t-case and tranny, one can avoid most of the teeth-gnashing that can happen.
We're going to look at it tomorrow. She actually has a newer Forester now but between the EJ25, the 4 speed automatic, and the Subaru interior I think she may jump ship.

For what it's worth I changed every fluid the car had at 70k. Mobil 1 in the diffs, Mobil 1 atf in the tranny and oem transfer case fluid. I'm going to do it again this next month or so, car seems to have plenty of life left to it. Oil has always been whatever synthetic is on sale but changed 4-5k miles. 15k nooo way.

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso

Nitr0 posted:

omg I can't believe I missed this. I've been looking for this for years at a normal price. Wreckers have prices like $500 and poo poo like that. I don't even care if it's active I'll pay for a sub.

2nd in line if Senor doesn't take it for whatever reason. AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nitr0, go ahead and take it, sounds like you have been actually looking to upgrade.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Well, my brother just floated the idea of him giving me his '95 318ti. I'd have to drive it back home to Iowa from California.

:getin:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

SeñorMisterioso posted:

Nitr0, go ahead and take it, sounds like you have been actually looking to upgrade.

Weeeee. Thanks man.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Well, my brother just floated the idea of him giving me his '95 318ti. I'd have to drive it back home to Iowa from California.

The interiors on those things are even worse than normal e36s

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
My brother is trying to talk me into a bad decision.

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5524997411.html

What's the going rate for one of these? What's probably exploded that I can't see in the pictures? How do they actually drive? I love that body style...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

My brother is trying to talk me into a bad decision.

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5524997411.html

What's the going rate for one of these? What's probably exploded that I can't see in the pictures? How do they actually drive? I love that body style...

I wouldn't offer more than 3500 for that in its current shape, really nice 535i/5 spd go for about what that guy is asking for his, and 535is (appearance package and sport seats) go for like $6k in better shape than that car is right now.

e: these things are hydroboost brakes and ran off the power steering so if there's something fucky going on with it you're looking at some expensive parts they only used on e23s and e28s IIRC (maybe E24s too)

rscott fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 31, 2016

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
And if the AC doesn't work don't plan on it ever working unless you want to drop $$$$.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah that was one of the selling points on my e28, seller had recipts showing the whole drat AC system was replaced to the tune of like $1700

Blows cold as hell but one of the squirrel cages is squeaking and I don't wanna deal with it

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Yeah I was a bit put off by his "ready to make a deal" line when the ad has been up for two months. Ah well...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

The interiors on those things are even worse than normal e36s

The differences are nominal and frankly all the differences make them better than full e36.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Carry on, solider.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

The differences are nominal and frankly all the differences make them better than full e36.

Carry on, solider.

Maybe with an m50 swap this is true

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
The 318 is for poors that can't afford an actual BMW.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dunno it might be fun because you could maybe drive the piss out of it 24/7? just pedal -> floor

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Decent little cars that handle fun thanks to the E30 rear end in them. The m44 is a decent engine and the cars aren't terribly heavy. We had one for a few years and even with a horrible automatic it wasn't too bad.

Trying to figure out what engine to put in that race car chassis. Main goal for the thing is keep it super light, I'm aiming for under 2200lb with a full (~15 gal) fuel cell. A few engine options:

a.) There's a 90k mile s52b32 for $2500 a couple hours away. Would need an ECU, M30 oil pan and a couple other odds and ends to put it in the car. Total price would probably end up under $3500

b.) I can get a running m42b18 for basically free, would need to track down a transmission for a couple hundred. Punch out the block to 86mm (+2mm) to fit s50b30 pistons, run a m47 diesel crank and 138mm rods to make a 2.1L m42. Solid lifters (VW), s50/54 individual throttle bodies and megasquirt engine management. Should make around 200hp at 7k rpm, be able to rev to 8k. Total cost around $3500

c.) Buy the s52 and run it while I build the m42

Keep in mind I haven't even picked up the car yet, it's going to be a long term (maybe on the road next spring) project and the street-ability of the engine isn't a concern.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Local guy has a 2.0 rebello built m42 that has around 260-270 crank. Its an an e30 with as much carbon poo poo as possible to get it down to 1900lbs without driver. It keeps up with s54 e36s. Of course the motor is worth more than both my cars put together.

S50s are pretty bulletproof. Get the VAC oil pump and a baffled e34 pan (m50, not m30). Or even better, get you hands on an s54 dual pickup pump/oilpan and send that off to arcasylum. Other than that you can run them out to 7000rpm all day without problems.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
M54 swaps are looking better and better for the e30 these days

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

So, so, so much this.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Local guy has a 2.0 rebello built m42 that has around 260-270 crank. Its an an e30 with as much carbon poo poo as possible to get it down to 1900lbs without driver. It keeps up with s54 e36s. Of course the motor is worth more than both my cars put together.

S50s are pretty bulletproof. Get the VAC oil pump and a baffled e34 pan (m50, not m30). Or even better, get you hands on an s54 dual pickup pump/oilpan and send that off to arcasylum. Other than that you can run them out to 7000rpm all day without problems.
drat that has got to be a monster of a car. I think the cage is a bit too extensive to get the car that light but I'll be trying.

BraveUlysses posted:

:doh: I hadn't even thought about that

Kind of like the idea of staying with a 4 cylinder but the S50 swapped cars I've driven have been a lot of fun. Time to start reading up on M54 swaps and what is needed to make the engine 'track ready'

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 2, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat that has got to be a monster of a car. I think the cage is a bit too extensive to get the car that light but I'll be trying.

:doh: I hadn't even thought about that

Kind of like the idea of staying with a 4 cylinder but the S50 swapped cars I've driven have been a lot of fun. Time to start reading up on M54 swaps and what is needed to make the engine 'track ready'

Don't rev it more than stock.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
M54s have so many high rpm harmonic issues I'd be wary of going with that for a racecar. At the very least have a full spare (which should be cheap to get). Luckily the ECU is very sorted out these days so wiring should be simple.

Said M42 e30 vs S54 e36:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxDqzjOyhI

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Need to put my old engine (98 540i) on an engine stand. What size / pitch bolts should I use?

Finally got the car to start after much fuckery with the EWS and computer. Started puking oil from the trans cooler connection, somehow the O rings were missing so I had to order some. gently caress Autozone for wanting $14 for $1.40 worth of seals. I''ll wait. Should get it going this weekend. Please send prayers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The carfax on my 540i shows the mileage at 222k kms 4 years before i bought it at ~194k,

That's probably not good.

It also doesn't show that it went through an auction when i bought it, or even changed hands.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 3, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Your penance for believing a carfax is one timing chain tensioner and one sixer of macrobrew. Go with God, my child

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey, i got 28,000kms out of the car without issue. Just surprising to think it could be 250-300k kms.

I did the rear brake pads, front o2 sensors, and MAF sensor when i bought it, LCAs a year or so later. rear o2 sensor from a subaru spliced in to get rid of the CEL, and 3 oil changes.

If i get $1000 back out of it, it'll have been about 3.6 cents a km, or 5.7 cents a mile. If i get $2k back out of it, i'll be 0 cents a mile.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A 2002tii just went for SEVENTY ONE THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS on BaT. :wow:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm glad I bought my old BMW before every 30 something software engineer with more money than patience or sense drives the prices beyond the realm of affordability

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

M54s have so many high rpm harmonic issues I'd be wary of going with that for a racecar. At the very least have a full spare (which should be cheap to get). Luckily the ECU is very sorted out these days so wiring should be simple.

Said M42 e30 vs S54 e36:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxDqzjOyhI
The engine would live at high RPM...local shop said the same thing. Great for a daily driver that might see an occasional track day but not so much for a dedicated race car. I should sell the boring VW and toss a M54 in one of the spare shells and DD that.

I love the wing on that E36, wonder how goofy it would look on a boxy E30.

:captainpop: Hmm think it's time to raise the agreed value on a few cars. That's insane

I haven't seen too many people playing with the newer 4-cylinder engines in E30s which kind of surprises me. The N43/N45/N46/N20 is light, makes good power and is fun to drive. Don't know how readily available they are compared to M50/54 though.

Anyone happen to have some spare S50 pistons laying around? That's the biggest variable in my M42 build cost sheet right now...new OEM are expensive as gently caress (not going to happen) but there's a few good aftermarket options around the $800 mark. If I could get cheap/free used S50 pistons to get shaved down I'd be set.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That's a nice looking car, but it's got all kinds of non-factory, non-period mods and upgrades. Normally when older cars go for crazy money I think of absolutely mint factory original or OEM restorations. Aren't the round taillight versions also more desirable? Or were those not available on the tii?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My M42 powered 318i rattles at startup now. I guess it's time for timing chain tensioner #2?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

My M42 powered 318i rattles at startup now. I guess it's time for timing chain tensioner #2?
How many miles did that one last and was it the newer style used in the M44?

I have a s54? unit to go in the s14 when I replace it, supposed to help with noisy startup issues and last longer.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It's been probably 2-3 years since I replaced it with the updated M44 version.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

The engine would live at high RPM...local shop said the same thing. Great for a daily driver that might see an occasional track day but not so much for a dedicated race car. I should sell the boring VW and toss a M54 in one of the spare shells and DD that.

I love the wing on that E36, wonder how goofy it would look on a boxy E30.

:captainpop: Hmm think it's time to raise the agreed value on a few cars. That's insane

I haven't seen too many people playing with the newer 4-cylinder engines in E30s which kind of surprises me. The N43/N45/N46/N20 is light, makes good power and is fun to drive. Don't know how readily available they are compared to M50/54 though.

Anyone happen to have some spare S50 pistons laying around? That's the biggest variable in my M42 build cost sheet right now...new OEM are expensive as gently caress (not going to happen) but there's a few good aftermarket options around the $800 mark. If I could get cheap/free used S50 pistons to get shaved down I'd be set.

the n52 is looking like a decent swap candidate. nando on r3v is swapping one into his iX and has cracked the ECU. It's not a 4 cylinder but it's very, very light and makes good power.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've discovered that my E90 makes a low pitched rubbing/grinding noise when turning left now. Even if I just nudge the wheel left a little bit, I can hear it. It doesn't feel any different to drive, and nothing happens during a right turn. From what I found in various forums, it sounds like a ball joint maybe? I don't know enough to even know what to look for if take the wheels off and start poking around. Any ideas?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Funzo posted:

I've discovered that my E90 makes a low pitched rubbing/grinding noise when turning left now. Even if I just nudge the wheel left a little bit, I can hear it. It doesn't feel any different to drive, and nothing happens during a right turn. From what I found in various forums, it sounds like a ball joint maybe? I don't know enough to even know what to look for if take the wheels off and start poking around. Any ideas?

Jack that corner up so the wheel is off the ground then see if you can shake it. If it can shake by pushing and pulling the top it's generally a wheel bearing. If it shakes when pushing pulling the front or back it's likely a tie rod. This applies to most cars, not sure if the e90 has anything special that would cause it to be different.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

Jack that corner up so the wheel is off the ground then see if you can shake it. If it can shake by pushing and pulling the top it's generally a wheel bearing. If it shakes when pushing pulling the front or back it's likely a tie rod. This applies to most cars, not sure if the e90 has anything special that would cause it to be different.

Ok, I'll take a look this weekend, thanks.
It looks like replacing the bearing/hub assembly isn't horrible, so I might even be able to do it myself if that's the culprit.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Funzo posted:

Jack the front end up, spin the wheel while holding the coil spring. You should feel a bad wheel bearing.

I would bet money on the front right bearing being bad. Generally things like ball joints and suspension links don't make a continuous sound, they usually only make noise when you suddenly change the load direction. Like going over a speedbump.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
M42 question:

I'm getting some stumbling when i let off the throttle. it's not drivetrain related cause it will do it in neutral.

vacuum leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
This is a tool for my E36 M3, but what is it? On the other side is a 1/2" square drive for a socket wrench. Probably related to suspension... but what is it?