Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played some Twilight Struggle. Didn't really like it. Or, to be specific, I hated anything that involved the dice. Sure, you can mitigate risk, but it's still stupid when I try to coup something and get hosed, and then my opponent gets his event on the card anyway. Doubly so for the other operations where you and your opponent roll dice for influence points or whatever.

The other things were neat. I lost via defcon because, as I found out later, we were supposed to have one more card in our hands, but whatever.

Also the game took forever, though I attribute that to first-play syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I will be playing a 6 person game of 7 Wonders on Sunday, and I loving hate teaching 7 Wonders, and it is always a damned pain to pass the rule book around so people can check what the icons are. There are a number of cheat sheets on BGG, does anyone had a recommendation for which ones are the most useful?

What games do you normally teach that 7 Wonders is considered a chore?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Speaking of Twilight Struggle, has anyone played 13 Days which seems to basically be TS express. Centred on the Cuban Missile Crisis, two players try and control spheres of influence and not cause a nuclear war by playing cards, but now it takes 40 minutes.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

EvilChameleon posted:

What games do you normally teach that 7 Wonders is considered a chore?

Simultaneous action games are kind of a pain to teach, because multiple people can get confused at the same time. With standard turns, you can focus on one person's problems at a time. I'd still much rather teach 7 Wonders than Roll/Race for the Galaxy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

golden bubble posted:

I finally played Cosmic Encounter for the first time. Surprisingly, I don't feel that invite-everyone-to-all-attacks is the dominate strategy.

If giving away colonies and splitting victory four ways is a dominant strategy, then the real pro strat is to skip playing any games at all and just agree we're all winners.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Sailor Viy posted:

Back when I played tabletop RPGs, I was very enamoured of the old-school D&D dungeoncrawling model of play. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend board games that replicate that kind of feeling? Something with:
- Risk/reward decisions about whether to go deeper into the dungeon or retreat with the loot you've already acquired
- Inventory management where players have to make decisions about what items to carry (e.g. a sword vs. a one-use potion vs. more treasure)
- XP or VP awarded for acquiring treasure, not killing monsters. I always liked the gold pieces = XP rule because it felt like you would be rewarded for playing strategically rather than just grinding through enemy encounters.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a dungeon-themed game, as long as it had some or all of those features.

Rutibex posted:

Have you heard of the wonders of Mage Knight boardgame? It's not exactly a dungeon (though it has them! and the overmap is basically a dungeon) but it has risk v reward, inventory (card) management, and VP for treasure cards (you get it for killing monsters too). Its basically a D&D campaign that has been turned into a puzzle.

Mage Knight is great, of course, but has some significant differences from what you're looking for.

1. There's no option to retreat with what you've acquired and call it a day. If you don't conquer the cities/mines/other players/etc. within the given timeframe, you lose.
2. Although you decide which new skills, spells, items, and allies to acquire, and also when to use them, there's no real concept of limited carrying capacity.
3. Despite Rutibex's spin, killing enemies is by far the main way you acquire XP.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CaptainRightful posted:

3. Despite Rutibex's spin, killing enemies is by far the main way you acquire XP.

But it's by no means the way you earn points/win. Mage Knight is frequently about difficult choices as to whether it's worth wasting the time doing $thing or moving on.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Speaking of Twilight Struggle, has anyone played 13 Days which seems to basically be TS express. Centred on the Cuban Missile Crisis, two players try and control spheres of influence and not cause a nuclear war by playing cards, but now it takes 40 minutes.

Yup. Does exactly what it sets out to do. We were impressed with it. We did a trailer review of it an episode or two ago. Def. recommended for what it is, TS - the filler game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

Mage Knight is great, of course, but has some significant differences from what you're looking for.

1. There's no option to retreat with what you've acquired and call it a day. If you don't conquer the cities/mines/other players/etc. within the given timeframe, you lose.
2. Although you decide which new skills, spells, items, and allies to acquire, and also when to use them, there's no real concept of limited carrying capacity.

Well yeah it's not exactly what he asked for, but by the time he figured that out he would already have looked at Mage Knight and realized its awesome anyway (and what he really wanted all along).

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

But it's by no means the way you earn points/win. Mage Knight is frequently about difficult choices as to whether it's worth wasting the time doing $thing or moving on.

While you certainly don't have to "clear the map", you get VPs for holding cities/mines/wherever. The only way you can do that is to kill the baddies there.

One big difference between Mage Knight and the RPG experience Sailor Viy described is that there's no ongoing campaign and so no "press your luck vs. take your loot and return to fight another day". The scenarios are timed and win or lose, you start from scratch each time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure I've seen variants, albeit unofficial, that make it a longer campaign game, but yeah, that's a fair assessment overall.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

While you certainly don't have to "clear the map", you get VPs for holding cities/mines/wherever. The only way you can do that is to kill the baddies there.

One big difference between Mage Knight and the RPG experience Sailor Viy described is that there's no ongoing campaign and so no "press your luck vs. take your loot and return to fight another day". The scenarios are timed and win or lose, you start from scratch each time.

There is lots of press your luck in Mage Knight. Do you rest and recover wounds, or attack that dungeon hoping for an easy kill? Do you take the left path with the mage tower, or the right one with the keep?

Also Mage Knight is in and of itself an entire campaign, it doesnt need rules for serial games (though house ruling these is easy). You go from the D&D equivalent of level 1 noobs to level 20 gods in the span of a single game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Isn't Descent the obvious DnD recommendation? Although I would prefer Spelunky, but role play the characters as spelunking LARPers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Descent 2e is solid but not without its flaws. Much better, I gather, with the automated overlord app though.

In that vein though, Imperial Assault is supposed to be better than D2e, though I've not played it personally.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Isn't Descent the obvious DnD recommendation?

Descent gives you that 4th edition D&D experience, Mage Knight is more of a 3.5 edition.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Rutibex posted:

Descent gives you that 4th edition D&D experience, Mage Knight is more of a 3.5 edition.

If Mage Knight really was D&D 3.5E, there would be an additional character called Fighting-man. Fighting-man cannot spend mana or gain spells, and his entire starting deck is 8x Rage + 8x March.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

golden bubble posted:

If Mage Knight really was D&D 3.5E, there would be an additional character called Fighting-man. Fighting-man cannot spend mana or gain spells, and his entire starting deck is 8x Rage + 8x March.

Hot drat I'd play that character. Advanced actions and artifacts would make fighting-man into fighting-overlord!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Hot drat I'd play that character. Advanced actions and artifacts would make fighting-man into fighting-overlord!

He can't gain advanced actions either. Or use them usefully.

He would also have the Block card a couple of times.

And he would be unable to play cards sideways for interaction.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

golden bubble posted:

Mage Knight has this covered. Fighter-men know their proper place in Mage Knight (as cannon fodder), and as such can only be recruited as followers. They are the pawn of the spellcasters.

This accurately replicates the experience of playing a 3.5 D&D wizard in a party with your friends :twisted:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Morpheus posted:

I played some Twilight Struggle. Didn't really like it. Or, to be specific, I hated anything that involved the dice. Sure, you can mitigate risk, but it's still stupid when I try to coup something and get hosed, and then my opponent gets his event on the card anyway. Doubly so for the other operations where you and your opponent roll dice for influence points or whatever.

The other things were neat. I lost via defcon because, as I found out later, we were supposed to have one more card in our hands, but whatever.

Not sure if I'm reading the rules right but I thought you discarded a card to attempt a coup which means the event doesn't get played? I hope I haven't been playing wrong this whole time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rad Valtar posted:

Not sure if I'm reading the rules right but I thought you discarded a card to attempt a coup which means the event doesn't get played? I hope I haven't been playing wrong this whole time.

You use ops to coup. If you use the ops value on a card belonging to your opponent's faction, the event happens.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

COOL CORN posted:

You use ops to coup. If you use the ops value on a card belonging to your opponent's faction, the event happens.

Well poo poo I messed that up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rad Valtar posted:

Well poo poo I messed that up.

The only time playing an opponent's card DOESN'T trigger the event, is when you Space Race it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So....how hard would it be to get a game of Campaign for North Africa going on Tabletop Simulator? You can save the game and rewind it, which allows everyone to take their frustrations out by flipping the table every once in a while.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is tabletop VR compatible? Cause it might be worth it just to flip a risk board when you're bored and done.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The General posted:

Is tabletop VR compatible? Cause it might be worth it just to flip a risk board when you're bored and done.

I'm sorry but climbing into a VR suit to play a tabletop boardgame is just going too far. I don't want to live in that world.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The General posted:

I was hoping that the board flipping was due to frustrations of supply shortage and the logistics officer loving it up, and not because of boredom. Everyone has plenty to do per turn, how would you ever get bored?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SynthOrange posted:

Also the game night was at a japanese restaurant and the player next to me ordered... two bowls of plain white rice. Which he ate using chopsticks to push into his free hand and eat from there, getting rice grains everywhere while playing on his ipad while waiting for his turn. I forfeited and ran.

what in the everliving gently caress

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

golden bubble posted:

except martials in 3.5 were scrub tier compared to full casters such as a mage

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Morpheus posted:

I love Twilight Struggle, so I'm biased, but here's my take. One of the fundamental skills in TS is predicting when and where your opponent will try to coup, and adjusting your strategy to make their coups tactically impractical—in other words, you want to make their coups good for you as much as possible. This is especially important for the Americans, who—because they never get coup initiative but always play last—must force the Soviets to make impossible decisions: "Do I solve this problem and lose coup initiative, or make the coup and let the problem get out of hand?"

Coups are so powerful and swingy that not playing to control your opponent's coups makes for a chaotic and frustrating game—and unfortunately, that play style is only learned over time, so beginners often run into the problem of frustrating coups. That's not to say that coups aren't frustrating in higher-level play, but it's more of an inch-by-inch struggle than a back-and-forth gently caress-you fest. Here are some beginner tips:
1. Be wary of couping in a region when doing so reduces DEFCON to one above the DEFCON value that stops coups in that region. For example, be wary of couping in the Middle East if it would reduce DEFCON from 4 to 3. You don't want your opponent immediately counter-couping and taking the country back for good.
2. Be wary of even entering a key country with low stability (for example: Pakistan, Thailand, SA countries) when it can be couped, especially countries that require DEFCON 3 or higher to coup. Putting 2 influence into Pakistan at DEFCON 4, for example, is often a stupid move. The best defense against coups is to not be in the country at all, ironically.
3. Don't be afraid to blow 1-ops cards on bad coups just to stop your opponent from having coup access to your key countries. Alternatively, overprotect countries selectively so that your opponent must spend high-ops cards to coup successfully.
4. When possible, get influence into countries around key countries. For example, if Pakistan is threatened, having influence in Afghanistan or India when is nice, because if your opponent coups and removes all your influence or even puts one into Pakistan, you can immediately follow up by placing three in, regaining control.

Realignments are only really useful once you have a handle on the game. Nine times out of ten, you'll want to place influence or coup instead of realigning. Here are some beginner tips:
1. Almost never realign in somewhere you have influence, unless you have a +3 modifier or above.
2. Almost never realign in somewhere you have a 0 modifier or a negative modifier.
3. Almost never realign when Defcon is above 2 and there's somewhere useful to coup.
4. Almost never realign somewhere adjacent to a country with your opponent's influence.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I "played" Mysterium last night.
It felt like playing Forbidden Island where someone else does most of the thinking. I think we played it on easy or medium, solved all the murders. If I owned it, I'd be playing the ghost.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, both of those games sound good, but what I was really looking for was something that gives you the Basic D&D/OSR experience. Scrabbling for loot in a filthy dungeon, running away from goblins and throwing treasure on the ground to distract them, that sort of thing. Mage Knight is definitely on my list though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sailor Viy posted:

what I was really looking for was something that gives you the Basic D&D/OSR experience.

Ah! To replicate the experience of playing an original D&D game run by Gary Gygax himself you should check out Talisman: The Magical Quest Game

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
^^^ Boo this man. Although honestly he's not wrong about the gygax style.

Sailor Viy posted:

Yeah, both of those games sound good, but what I was really looking for was something that gives you the Basic D&D/OSR experience. Scrabbling for loot in a filthy dungeon, running away from goblins and throwing treasure on the ground to distract them, that sort of thing. Mage Knight is definitely on my list though.

I spent a while looking for this and came to the conclusion that it doesn't exist, which is sad.

The D&D adventure game series come closest. They're light, monsters are done very simply and well and the components are fantastic but the games don't have a lot to keep you coming back. Their light nature means it's very easy to quickly see all that you're going to see and the quests are very repetitive. I don't regret picking one up but playing it I get the nagging sense that it could have been so much more.

The card game version of Warhammer Quest comes close but it abstracts a lot and it's increasingly looking like it's never going to get the expansion it desperately needs to have much replay value. It's a far better game then the D&D series though, even if it isn't quite a perfect match.

There are a lot of games coming out soon that want to be this - Gloomhaven, Swords and Sorcery, Massive Darkness and a bunch more but they're all kickstarter games so kiss $100 goodbye and good luck picking the one that doesn't end up a disappointment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

what in the everliving gently caress

For a game night it's pretty well adjusted, usually. There's definitely a number of gamers though.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Sailor Viy posted:

Magic Realm might be the game you want. It's been out of print since the 80s, and it runs about $200 to pnp. Good luck.

Alternately, you could cut to the chase. The Moldvay-era B/X D&D rules are on DriveThruRPG for like :10bux:

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 3, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I regret not backing Gloomhaven. Is it going to see a retail release?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zurui posted:

I regret not backing Gloomhaven. Is it going to see a retail release?

It should, I seem to remember talk about retail pricing.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Gonna play Eldritch Horror for the first time today. Any rules that are easy to overlook / common mistakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

the panacea posted:

Gonna play Eldritch Horror for the first time today. Any rules that are easy to overlook / common mistakes?

You can only use one weapon for a bonus to combat; that's one our group missed for ages