Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

did the daughter also ask why the income inequality gap keeps rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
It's because men keep dressing like women and taking all the high paying jobs that would've gone to women because the men are biologically superior and the companies can't discriminate against them because of PC CULTURE.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Where is that "Drinking Pee Is Good, Says Man" image, again? And was that for Matt Walsh or someone else? I feel the need to repost that everytime that persons says something awful.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Guy is a prick but i remember my dad being mad and sad at the news after i asked him, what a blowjob was because of the clinton affair scandals.

not to sound creepy, but where does he live. because if its in the south i doubt his story.

Maryland. It boggles my mind that this state spawned both John Waters and Matt Walsh.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

They hate it when teachers dare to talk about sex education so its no surprise expanding on the already dreaded birds and the bees would be something Walsh would detest as more work on his part. "WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS LITTLE poo poo WANT FROM US? I BOUGHT A SHOTGUN! I'VE DONE MY DUTY AS A FATHER, drat IT".

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 3, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shbobdb posted:

After a few minutes of research, here you go:

We can look at Australia where Hate Speech laws do seem to change public discourse (especially in mediated environments) without restricting freedom.

Canada's hate speech laws are generally seen as promoting multiculturalism and advancing the social good in a polite society.

While this source is clearly opposed to hate speech laws, it provides a handy list of rear end in a top hat getting what is coming to them. It also highlights the effectiveness of the judiciary in mediating these cases. Plenty of the more "minor" examples of hate speech are found to not be hate speech. Some of the sources inside are also helpful. "Tolerance as Censorship" makes a strong case that these laws do moderate public speech. I think that is a good thing, the authors obviously don't.

That ties into the biggest critique of hate speech laws, which is their arbitrary usage. For example, there are a lot of studies showing how Germany selectively enforces hate speech laws in protection of German Jews but not for Muslims/Turk's. So what? That's one protected group as opposed to no protected group and, the laws being in place, their enforcement can expand.

More importantly, you don't see free speech being actively trampled in wealthier Commonwealth countries and Continental Europe. So it seems like the fears from a "slippery slope" argument are about as real as "Death Panels".

If I understand you right, then the argument for hate speech laws is:

1) They set the boundaries of public discourse

2) Assholes get what's coming to them

If I have either of those wrong, that's my bad and I apologize. I have no specific issue with the first point, other than questioning whether the state is the actor best suited to set those boundaries. But I don't think "they get what's coming to them" is a legitimate enough idea to justify any action, and definitely not state action.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Von Sloneker posted:

That Milo dipshit is having some kind of event at UC Irvine tonight at 10 EST. I think last night's (or the night before) got canceled. I'm not even sure what he does but I'm guessing I'll be annoyed by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5tq4FBS7c

Lot of explaining to be done to conservative parents by their good sons hopping on the "Dangerous human being Tour"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Chantilly Say posted:

If I understand you right, then the argument for hate speech laws is:

1) They set the boundaries of public discourse

2) Assholes get what's coming to them

If I have either of those wrong, that's my bad and I apologize. I have no specific issue with the first point, other than questioning whether the state is the actor best suited to set those boundaries. But I don't think "they get what's coming to them" is a legitimate enough idea to justify any action, and definitely not state action.

That's basically it.

In a civilized society, I think it is one of the duties of the State to censure people like Le Pen.

For example, Trump's rhetoric has already tapped into a very violent reactionary id in American politics. This is not a new thing, it has always been there. But a long string of demagogues have created a pretty nasty powder keg. Hate speech laws aren't going to make things like white racism go away, but they serve to delegitimize both the ideology and the clowns peddling it.

Crazy racists party gets 10% of the vote while bleeding funds due to hate speech court cases? Not good, but you've got the forces of law and media saying "look at these clowns, they are clowns." Contrast that with people like Trump, W, Reagan or Goldwater where the law and media collude to legitimize them.

In your guts, you know they are nuts.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
When you support hate speech you are saying society has a right to act against what it considers blasphemy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shbobdb posted:

That's basically it.

In a civilized society, I think it is one of the duties of the State to censure people like Le Pen.

For example, Trump's rhetoric has already tapped into a very violent reactionary id in American politics. This is not a new thing, it has always been there. But a long string of demagogues have created a pretty nasty powder keg. Hate speech laws aren't going to make things like white racism go away, but they serve to delegitimize both the ideology and the clowns peddling it.

Crazy racists party gets 10% of the vote while bleeding funds due to hate speech court cases? Not good, but you've got the forces of law and media saying "look at these clowns, they are clowns." Contrast that with people like Trump, W, Reagan or Goldwater where the law and media collude to legitimize them.

In your guts, you know they are nuts.

Maybe it's just an issue of philosophy. I don't want to make my gut feelings other people's business.

But the idea of the State de-legitimizing these ideologies is a really intriguing one to me, because the mechanism by which the State is able to do that has to be dependent on people saying "it's illegal therefore it must be bad."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's funny how at the beginning of the whole trans debate, one of the most common conservative arguments was along the lines of "Why should we need to change our laws for such a tiny minority? There are only a handful of them around in the first place!". Yet now there are apparently roving packs of them going around in every city, and you can't even go to a single public bathroom without stumbling over at least three transpeople in the process.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Perestroika posted:

It's funny how at the beginning of the whole trans debate, one of the most common conservative arguments was along the lines of "Why should we need to change our laws for such a tiny minority? There are only a handful of them around in the first place!". Yet now there are apparently roving packs of them going around in every city, and you can't even go to a single public bathroom without stumbling over at least three transpeople in the process.

Speaking of roving packs of three transgender people as well as 'SEE, this minority gets it!'

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...theres-a-twist/

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

King Dopplepopolos posted:

I tweeted this at him. No response so far.

"While you were railing against transgender people, five quadrillion babies were aborted."

I should join Twitter so I can do that nonstop until he blocks me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/738515686591463424

I take solace in the idea that his kids will grow up and realize what a terrible father they have l.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I take solace in the idea that his kids will grow up and realize what a terrible father they have l.

Which should be tempered by the fact it'll take years of therapy to undo all the damage he caused.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Also the fact that this, too, did not actually happen

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gustav posted:

Also the fact that this, too, did not actually happen

Someone should point out that lying is a sin.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

comes along bort posted:

Which should be tempered by the fact it'll take years of therapy to undo all the damage he caused.

I only hope that when theyou reach the point in their lifetimes where they start to put it all together, but they are in a situation where their needs are met and they will be emotionally supportive as they deal with what will be a very difficult time in their lives.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

and in ten years Walsh will kill himself after hearing, "I'm not a girl, I'm a boy!" from the same daughter.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Speaking of roving packs of three transgender people as well as 'SEE, this minority gets it!'

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...theres-a-twist/

I'm really at a loss on the takeaway from this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
What come next once they realize that this transgender panic isn't getting any traction outside of their bubble?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

they only really care about being top dog inside the bubble though

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nah they like loving over people on a national scale as well.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/738708257066258434

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

THAT'S the guy who got the "drinking pee is good, says man" tweet. Now I just need to find a link to it.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Takoluka posted:

I'm really at a loss on the takeaway from this.

Many people are exactly as tolerant as they need to be to accept themselves

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Maybe Walsh's daughter has a future as the person that actually stands outside bathrooms and makes sure you're the right sex. Seems uniquely precocious.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

What's this gravy on my dipstick...

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The problem with laws against hate speech in america vs. other western countries is that it's up to the judiciary to determine what hate speech is, and as far as I know, america is the only western country with a justice system that was built from the ground up as a white supremacist enforcement agency.

I mean sure you can argue that the right will find any excuse to imprison people they don't like for sedition but I don't think we need to give them any more legitimacy in their actions and I certainly don't think that hate speech laws would result in any significant quantity or quality of Brother Deans or Milos thrown in prison or deported. Like how black people are overrepresented in hate crime convictions. Hate speech laws are a theoretically good idea but only if paired with responsible and judicious justice system, which we definitively do not have.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bushiz posted:

The problem with laws against hate speech in america vs. other western countries is that it's up to the judiciary to determine what hate speech is, and as far as I know, america is the only western country with a justice system that was built from the ground up as a white supremacist enforcement agency.

I mean sure you can argue that the right will find any excuse to imprison people they don't like for sedition but I don't think we need to give them any more legitimacy in their actions and I certainly don't think that hate speech laws would result in any significant quantity or quality of Brother Deans or Milos thrown in prison or deported. Like how black people are overrepresented in hate crime convictions. Hate speech laws are a theoretically good idea but only if paired with responsible and judicious justice system, which we definitively do not have.

Sadly true. We'd need massive reforms to our entire justice and legislative systems before we get to the point where such a law wouldn't be immediately abused.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hate speech incites violence against out groups and normalizes it by saying "oh its ok, billy bob can say whatever he wants, we can't tell him to not say that"

Meanwhile sensible people get drowned out by the drooling retards who use hate speech to push their message. It's one side is louder than the other and therefore they are right. This is how america makes its policy.

Isn't the US supposed to be a world leader? Lead the world in making a new hate speech law if you don't like any others.

But hate is the biggest thing driving america so it'll never be fixed. Easier to keep the poors fighting against themselves, while they get hosed in the rear end by the rich

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Isn't the US supposed to be a world leader? Lead the world in making a new hate speech law if you don't like any others.

You have to realize this makes no sense right?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hate speech incites violence against out groups and normalizes it by saying "oh its ok, billy bob can say whatever he wants, we can't tell him to not say that"

Meanwhile sensible people get drowned out by the drooling retards who use hate speech to push their message. It's one side is louder than the other and therefore they are right. This is how america makes its policy.

But hate is the biggest thing driving america so it'll never be fixed. Easier to keep the poors fighting against themselves, while they get hosed in the rear end by the rich

your av is appropriate because I can easily picture you flapping your hands around as you make this nonsense post.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bushiz posted:

I think you have an overly-rosy view of non-American justice systems.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
This reads like a 13 year old trying to afirm their sexuality with a SI swimsuit edition.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
By all means, colleges should not be letting self loathing masc4masc neonazis on campus and certainly not paying them with title IX money and people should continue to disrupt and shut down those speeches(though I do wish they were better about it), but establishing laws against hate speech, in the modern political climate, will result in 20 people associated with black lives matter in prison for each channer that gets a slap on the wrist, and the assholes who make a profession out of it will never see a courtroom.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think you have an overly-rosy view of non-American justice systems.

I do not mean to imply that non-american justice systems are good, just less bonkers hosed up nightmares

Crowsbeak posted:

This reads like a 13 year old trying to afirm their sexuality with a SI swimsuit edition.

I'm still unconvinced that Todd Starnes isn't a character being played by Patton Oswalt

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

He is single and he has to put his dipstick somewhere.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bushiz posted:

Hate speech laws are a theoretically good idea but only if paired with responsible and judicious justice system, which we definitively do not have.

Honestly, not really; hate speech laws are at best a bandaid that "treats" a symptom of the real problem by letting you arrest the occasional David Duke while also letting shitheads arrest the Martin Luther Kings of the world because they're not being polite enough in asking for their rights.

Does anyone even have evidence (beyond annecdotes) that these laws actually make life better for at-risk minorities in the first place? Because they clearly don't do anything to stem the growth of actual racist organizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bushiz posted:

By all means, colleges should not be letting self loathing masc4masc neonazis on campus and certainly not paying them with title IX money and people should continue to disrupt and shut down those speeches(though I do wish they were better about it)

I think my favorite counter demonstration/disruption of a Neo -Nazi speech rally was when literal professional clowns showed up and just made jokes about them the entire time with people stopping to laugh at them. When the neo-nazis broke down and started shouting white power the clowns replied with "Wait what? White flour?" And pulled out bags of flour and stated pelting each other with it. The neo nazis just kind of faded away and the entire demonstration broke apart with everyone in attendance laughing at them