Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Someone Awful! posted:

can someone tell me how to be reinhardt without just kind of being slow and bad and worthless. I think I want to be good at the Hammer Grandpa but currently I suck at him quite a lot and he's basically the opposite of the kind of character I usually play.
In my (admittedly scrubbish) experience, you basically play Reinhardt like... a tank. He's the only tank class that actually blocks damage for allies while on the move, and your main job is to stand between them and the snipers/turrets/whatever shooting at them so they can shoot back with impunity.At low/mid-level play he tends to be the heart of the group formation, at least if your teammates aren't retarded.

Actually attacking with him is more of a fun afterthought, and you generally do so to punish anyone stupid enough to get close to an objective you're guarding, if you get the drop on a tightly packed enemy group, or what have you. He's actually faster than he looks and the hammer has a larger arc than it looks so you can chase down a lot of characters if need be, short of like a Pharah or Tracer or the like. It's tempting to charge all the time but you really should only do so when you can guarantee you'll hit someone with it, either due to them running at you or aiming it towards a large group, since otherwise you wind up away from your pals with the enemy team firing into your backside. The fire strike pierces through enemies, can be aimed in any direction, and does a surprising amount of damage, so you'll want to toss it at every possible opportunity... but don't do it if you're guarding other people since you have to drop the shield to do fire it off. And his Ult is kind of like Zarya's in that it's mostly crowd control, only use it if you have allies that can take advantage or if you have charge/fire strike off cooldown.

Do note he's tough but not invincible, and a full team or an emplaced bastion can tear through the shield in a few seconds. Don't try to charge into those sorts of enemy groups too even if (especially if!) your shield drops since you'll just die long before you hit anything. If you have to deal with an emplaced Bastion or something, hit your ult to stun it then charge, but you're better off guarding someone better suited to it.

Basically... you're an implacable wall that's slow moving, but the enemies can't ignore since if they let you get close enough you'll gently caress them up with your rocket hammer. He's kind of like the anti-Winston in that he really shouldn't be flanking outside of really weird situations and needs to force everyone's attention onto him, giving ample opportunities for your team's flankers to get in from other angles. Don't feel a need to keep the shield up at all times too, since if there's no enemies around just drop it to get more mobility and let the damage recover.

I've found there's actually a fair bit of learning curve to him, since while the abilities are fairly simple and take almost no aiming he's really reliant on positioning, learning his timing to better make use of his skills, and needing some situational awareness of the positions and makeups of both teams to do anything beyond being a walking target. But this is just casual idiot basic observations so I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong soon enough. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Someone Awful! posted:

as a person with a feminine-sounding voice who is terrified to use voice chat 90% of the time because of Online Gaming Related Bullshit, i appreciate seeing people stand up to assholes. thanks people

can someone tell me how to be reinhardt without just kind of being slow and bad and worthless. I think I want to be good at the Hammer Grandpa but currently I suck at him quite a lot and he's basically the opposite of the kind of character I usually play.

As someone who is best with Reinhardt (75% win rate when I play him lol), my advice is to know your team and who you're facing. Sometimes I have to be shield heavy, others I have to just rocket charge in and draw the attention of the opposing team and my team can go to objective. Also learn to shield for others ults and your team will love you. Blocking all of McCree's high noon shots with my shield will always be satisfying.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
My favorite part of this game is fighting against a good Widowmaker. Because I just switch to an ape and make their life completely miserable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Star posted:

It's mostly Lucio that is a real bore. The rest all have some engaging mechanics.

yeah the super engaging mechanics of people killing you on accident, only being useful on first point defense, and medic but with a damge buff

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Pomp posted:

yeah the super engaging mechanics of people killing you on accident, only being useful on first point defense, and medic but with a damge buff

It's hard to pass up Zenyatta after you've experienced the joy of shredding Roadhog in seconds from across the map.

Edit. Then you get one-shot the rest of the round by Widowmaker, and it's real easy to pass up Zenyatta.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 3, 2016

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Came up against a zarya stack. Boy that was funny seeing a daisy chain of bubbles. The hum of lasers was deafening, especially when we had symmetra's bug zappers humming too. We won but it was a long and slow fight.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

thanks for the reinhardt tips! i think a lot of the problems i've been having has been team comps + playing with pubbies who are too dumb to stand behind the rectangle. i rarely play him when i'm rolling with goons cause there's always someone who's actually good with him and it's a lot of pressure :sweatdrop:

I find Mercy to be the most fun healer because I enjoy her mobility of being able to zoom all over the place, but I like that all the healers are good for different things! Zenyatta is also enjoyable but his relative lack of mobility compared to Lucio + Mercy and his baby HP leave me less inclined to play him with pubs. sometimes I try him when I'm rolling with goons and he plays really effectively though!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The ideal solution would be to either give Zenyatta skates or convert Lucio to robuddhism

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
so I've been picking Genji over my last dozen games or so, here is my book report on Genji:

Genji's skill ceiling is pretty high, but the floor is lower than I thought it was - picking him up and being effective with him is easier than it was for me to grasp Tracer, Symmetra, or Zenyatta

Genji is the best weeb pick in the game, Hanzo cannot compare because none of his voice quips are in Japanese. There is nothing quite as rage inducing, I've found, as D.Va's "GG :D" spammed over and over, but Genji's "MADA MADA MADA MADA MADA MADA" is pretty close

Genji's ult absolutely crushes it any time the enemy team groups up, which is, helpfully, all the loving time, which wouldn't be any different from any other Offense ult except he can block your bullets when you turn on him to try to kill him

I realize I have never once tried to hit RMB while in ult, does it do something different? I would assume it just doesn't do anything or fires just like LMB does

Genji is really cool and good if you actually play objectives and contribute to your team instead of ~embracing the warrior spirit~ and dueling everyone 1v1 halfway across the map from anything resembling an objective

This has been my book report on Genji: Days of the Blade

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Help Im Alive posted:

The ideal solution would be to either give Zenyatta skates or convert Lucio to robuddhism

Free flight.

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a sentient, ecclesiastical Omnic operating on a Newtonian flight model!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

guts and bolts posted:

There is nothing quite as rage inducing, I've found, as D.Va's "GG :D" spammed over and over

Nah dude, winky face. Winky face forever and ever.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

FAUXTON posted:

Hanzo has the dragons, which in my experience have provided far more utility to the team than the recon visor. Granted, the visor is still useful, just less often.

Thing is Widow's left click clears areas faster than Hanzo's dragons. She don't need no ult for it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man from how quickly a statement about it being cool if this game's community cut out the racist bullshit was met with "Whatever stop talking about it it's just words and who cares" it's clear we've got a couple people in here who have strong feelings about ethics in games journalism.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tender Bender posted:

Man from how quickly a statement about it being cool if this game's community cut out the racist bullshit was met with "Whatever stop talking about it it's just words and who cares" it's clear we've got a couple people in here who have strong feelings about ethics in games journalism.

The whole issue is cancer from top to bottom.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lets start talking about it more

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Lets start talking about it more

Yes, lets.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you think it's fun to win or to really piss the other team off, Lucio is fun. Otherwise not so much.

Luckily I find those both fun for now, so if no one else does support I go with Lucio.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah dude, winky face. Winky face forever and ever.

I've got some good mileage out of A-Mei-zing spam

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
according to a large portion of the internet, Zar definitely has a cock

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Those unbalanced surfaces are good for trick jumps as you can skate across them. They're good with Pharah in particular as you can skate long enough in most cases to replenish your fuel/jump jets.

You don't. If you want that ultra mobile harasser role Winston does it far better.

That's a bummer but thanks for confirming my suspicions. :sigh:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been salty about Reaper's ult before, but it wasn't until last night when I was playing Zarya and he went through my shield and my 400 health that I checked the actual damage and holy gently caress his ult does 600 damage. :psyduck:

Seriously, poo poo's just silly. :sigh:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been salty about Reaper's ult before, but it wasn't until last night when I was playing Zarya and he went through my shield and my 400 health that I checked the actual damage and holy gently caress his ult does 600 damage. :psyduck:

Seriously, poo poo's just silly. :sigh:

pop your barrier and boom high energy THANK YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kashuno posted:

pop your barrier and boom high energy THANK YOU

I did. Barrier is 200 health, and Zarya's health is 400 (200 shields and 200 normal). He does 600 damage over 3 seconds.

Even with the energy boost from absorbing those first few hits I couldn't take him down before he killed me; I may be able to pull it off it I see the fucker coming, but when he drops on the payload from above in Hollywood there's jack poo poo you can do about it. :(

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I must be at poo poo elo still because I'm so used to reapers screaming "DIE DIE D---UGH" and killing no one.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I've actually found Torb to be pretty useful on offense depending on team comp. The turret makes a fantastic back-line defense as long as you keep moving it up with your team. It gives pre-warning and strong defense against flankers and Torb's amazingly kickass gun means he's actually pretty effective at shooting through Rein's shield and helping take down enemies just a as a frontline fighter. You don't want it on a team with three Winstons or whatever but if you're eating a lot of Reaper/Tracer harass it helps a lot.

Edit: and if the enemy team isn't smart enough to shut it down sticking one on a payload is of course a great time.

From way back, but I did this a few times on payload matches yesterday and for some reason a few people on my team were losing their poo poo about how 'useless' it was even though we consistently won and pushed around their reaper/tracer/mcree squad AND kept everyone armored up. I didn't even know there was an end of round "% Armor up-time" award until those rounds. I would just drop a turret at a good angle to support a push or as a fallback spot and run around shrapnelling people and tossing armor everywhere. More fun than camping a turret for sure.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Here, have a highlight video with more than one halfway decent clip in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skNGxuT210E

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Torb is honestly fine for most QM payloads now because he's still good for a few guaranteed kills from people who just haphazardly trickle right into his turret and feed his rather good ult every 10 seconds.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The mercy chain was funny.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Moola posted:

according to a large portion of the internet, Zar definitely has a cock

She has a big cock that jizzes people in the face after they've tickled her balls.

And since clearly I've got nothing of note to add, I'll quote a nugget of wisdom from the past 24 hours.

Mithross posted:

Verranicus posts are always actually quotes from some other forum, completely unsourced.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

GreyPowerVan posted:

The mercy chain was funny.

That was about 80% of the reason I wanted to post that. The Torbjorn hammer ult was most of the rest, entirely due to the 'wrong turret' comment, and the 30-seconds-into-the-match Pharah ult was the last.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745164539 lmao and I thought the people in this thread tilted hard over dumb poo poo.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
roadhog is bae

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745164539 lmao and I thought the people in this thread tilted hard over dumb poo poo.

"With only words, a man took thousands of lives. Just two words, "Kill Them".
Words are not toys."

GG EZ is going to kill people

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

She has a big cock that jizzes people in the face after they've tickled her balls.

:same:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is it true Riot banned people for saying GGEZ?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

fadam posted:

Lol I hope so

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

fadam posted:

Kashuno posted:

"With only words, a man took thousands of lives. Just two words, "Kill Them".
Words are not toys."

GG EZ is going to kill people
Okay, I take back the mean thoughts I had about this thread for the last few pages.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"Burn them all!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

fadam posted:

They used to have a Tribunal feature where people could decide whether someone who had been reported several times had to be punished based on chatlogs and some stats from the match they came from (but at of the day Riot still made the decision). Riot found out that people overwhelmingly punished people who'd say "easy" after a game. It was a similar case for racism and homophobia (an illusive club to be part of!)

Odds are that they did give out suspensions for people who said "easy" after a game a ton of times. Bans on the other hand? That doesn't seem likely unless you had been repeatedly punished for doing the same thing over and over again and never learned your lesson.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 3, 2016