Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. jefferson was big into the french revolution ideals of everything has to be changed every other year through revolution, he also believed that it would take 1000 years for us to colonized the rest of the Continent and it would be a massive food basket for the world, jefferson was weird like that.

He probably wasn't too far off on the "1000 years to colonize the continent" thing, assuming all technological advancement had frozen in the late 18th century - steam locomotives weren't even prototyped until a year after the Revolutionary War ended. If you're tied to animal power, walking or sailing around South America to get from one side of the US to the other I could see it taking a very, very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Geoj posted:

He probably wasn't too far off on the "1000 years to colonize the continent" thing, assuming all technological advancement had frozen in the late 18th century - steam locomotives weren't even prototyped until a year after the Revolutionary War ended. If you're tied to animal power, walking or sailing around South America to get from one side of the US to the other I could see it taking a very, very long time.

And we are the #1 producer of the #1 most utilized cereal crop in the world, and pretty far up there on everything else, as well as the #1 exporter of rice IIRC

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah gonna be a fun post apocalyptic world. I like the idea that without power and maintenance how many nuclear power plants will melt down. But enjoy squatting on your ammo and food to scrape by in that scenario

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Volcott posted:

.22 is good for plinking and small game. That's pretty much it. I mean, you can totally kill a guy with a .22, but you need to try a lot harder than with an AR-brand AR in .223.

The only possible reason i can see is everyone has a .22 of some sort. They're like babby's first real gun step from a bb gun. I have one because the mp-5 look was just neat and was affordable.
For real SHTF moments in history I've got a good old commie 7.62x54 Motherland rifle.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. jefferson was big into the french revolution ideals of everything has to be changed every other year through revolution

Yeah I know he was a bit, uh, romantic about the idea, and when he wrote things like the whole "tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of tyrants" thing he wasn't even in the US, he was comfortably chillin' out in France trying to diplomacy up some poo poo.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah I know he was a bit, uh, romantic about the idea, and when he wrote things like the whole "tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of tyrants" thing he wasn't even in the US, he was comfortably chillin' out in France trying to diplomacy up some poo poo.

Did anyone ever ask Jefferson what he thought about all the murders.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Robespierre was right

his execution was also right though

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Volcott posted:

Did anyone ever ask Jefferson what he thought about all the murders.

He didn't have much of a problem with them until the slaves in Haiti rose up and he suddenly remembered that European aristocrats were undeserving victims of revolutionary violence which he'd never really liked in the first place, honest you guys.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zeal posted:

Robespierre was right

his execution was also right though

we should all have guillotines

a truly just society

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
a head in every basket

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-6zbSf_J4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Goodpancakes posted:

Yeah gonna be a fun post apocalyptic world. I like the idea that without power and maintenance how many nuclear power plants will melt down. But enjoy squatting on your ammo and food to scrape by in that scenario

pretty much all preppers are weirdo loners so they will be known mostly for being the softest targets possible for bands of marauders

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Al! posted:

pretty much all preppers are weirdo loners so they will be known mostly for being the softest targets possible for bands of marauders

Not to mention their "supplies" consisting of essential condiments, booze, and ammo will likely do them in long before any thieves could.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Not to mention their "supplies" consisting of essential condiments, booze, and ammo will likely do them in long before any thieves could.

death by distended colon from too much canned ravioli

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Eat enough slop out of a Bakker Bucket and you will long to eat one of those bullets

https://youtu.be/rOH37W0jPpA

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Geostomp posted:

The booze thing is funny because there were at least 4 people on the show "doomsday preppers" who were stockpiling booze in anticipation of the post-apocalypse barter economy. One pointed out that the booze served both as a currency and a weapon and proceeded to throw Molotov cocktails into a firepit in his backyard.

Like, he had a basement full of rifles but his preferred method of thwarting intruders was hucking fireballs at them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lord of Pie posted:

Eat enough slop out of a Bakker Bucket and you will long to eat one of those bullets

https://youtu.be/rOH37W0jPpA

Is that the motherfucker who went to jail for straight up fraud right back to doing the same goddamn racket?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Epic High Five posted:

Is that the motherfucker who went to jail for straight up fraud right back to doing the same goddamn racket?

Nah, this technically isn't fraud

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Al! posted:

death by distended colon from too much canned ravioli

They know how to get free gummi dicks now, though.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They make fun of Bakker on a podcast I listen to and I can't tell if his oscillating tone of voice is bad audio quality or his ever-impending death rattle sneaking into everyday speech

I hope he dies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some more good concern trolling:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/bernie-sanders-destroying-green-party-california-primary-hillary-clinton

Evil bernie is reducing green party membership in California

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
green party is a bunch of granola munching crystal healing morons so good.

but also what does this have to do with sov citizens?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

green party is a bunch of granola munching crystal healing morons so good.

but also what does this have to do with sov citizens?

something something blm

he posted in the wrong thread

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

But since it was posted here I'd just like to point out this line from the article:

quote:

"They intentionally went after our voters because they are low-lying fruit on the issues," he adds

:qq: Popular candidates can't have the same opinions as us that defeats the whole point of making our own little club around these issues! :qq:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Judge Brown declined to dismiss the firearm and conspiracy charges and Facebook took down Pete Santilli's page. Facebook, as we all know from their previous requests, will be the most important part of Ammon Bundy's defense:

quote:

In a court filing, Ammon Bundy’s lawyers point out the computer in the detention center’s library is manually updated, does not have a word processing program and does not allow inmates to save documents. To remedy these issues, the jail has said it would consider allowing attorneys to load legal documents on iPads that the Bundys could have in their cells. But some of the evidence the federal government has brought against the defendants in the Oregon case relies on social media postings that the government says are evidence of a conspiracy to impede federal officers. The Bundys argue that they need access to social networks to defend themselves against those charges.

It doesn’t look like inmates, including the Bundys, will be getting access to internet anytime soon. According to the court filing, the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office noted that providing unmonitored internet access “would be a substantial threat to facility security” and the jail does not have the staff or resources to monitor it.

There’s also no precedent for granting this kind of exception. “We do not have internet access for any of our jail inmates, nor have we ever provided it,” said Capt. Steve Alexander, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ammon-ryan-bundy-jail-facebook-internet_us_5751a153e4b0eb20fa0dab02

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What would their access change (besides a hamfisted rapid deletion of postings)? These are facebook posts they voluntarily made part of the public record

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the legal system is like "oh you don't believe we exist huh? How about this"

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Man, you have inmates arguing their cases up to the loving Supreme Court using hand written pleadings. These assholes can do with out Microsoft Word.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Regular Nintendo posted:

What would their access change (besides a hamfisted rapid deletion of postings)? These are facebook posts they voluntarily made part of the public record
Honestly, I think it's only for Ammon to coordinate with other sovcits more quickly instead of through an intermediary or their lawyers. Lawyers have a responsibility to stop their clients when doing something stupid or advise against actions that could hurt their cases, and having immediate access to send messages or make public posts without a lawyer acting as a filter is probably very appealing to someone with a big head like Ammon. It doesn't stop them completely, but we already see how much effort Arnold Law had to do to distance their case from sovcit madness before getting the boot.

Also, alt-right groups tend to use youtube and facebook as their most trusted source of news. :tinfoil:

Knight has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Jun 5, 2016

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yeah, if I was the Judge here, I wouldn't give these guys access to Facebook. If they got it, it'd be at most a week before one of them did something stupid that'd mean they'd have to take it away again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I actually think inmates should have access to the internet, or at least parts of the internet, since you're basically depriving them of access to a lot of things that could definitely help them improve their lives and maybe get back on their feet once they're out, and it doesn't cost that much these days either.

However like the previous poster said these guys would lose their internet privileges within 5 minutes anyway so it's not like it would make a difference for them :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well he has a right to review the evidence against him. So obviously the government should just print out all the facebook pages they want to use.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I actually think inmates should have access to the internet, or at least parts of the internet, since you're basically depriving them of access to a lot of things that could definitely help them improve their lives and maybe get back on their feet once they're out, and it doesn't cost that much these days either.

However like the previous poster said these guys would lose their internet privileges within 5 minutes anyway so it's not like it would make a difference for them :v:
It's unfortunate but I can understand the argument that the resources to monitor and restrict the browsing history of the accused and convicts alike would be staggering and just waiting to grab a disastrous headline the first time anything bad happens (whether internet access would have mattered or not). As the Huffington Post article said, the internet is very useful for rehabilitation by providing education and even training, even if it increases the amount of convicts posting on /pol/.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Regular Nintendo posted:

Well, supposedly they could drum up support to start harassing the prison staff like the burns sheriff was getting.

Or overload the prison mail room with dildos by requesting a resupply to replace the prison torture food

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Knight posted:

It's unfortunate but I can understand the argument that the resources to monitor and restrict the browsing history of the accused and convicts alike would be staggering

Not really, just implement a whitelist restriction policy and then inmates can only access approved URLs. Doesn't require any further resources than web filtering software being set up and some officials deciding what inmates can access.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Geoj posted:

Not really, just implement a whitelist restriction policy and then inmates can only access approved URLs. Doesn't require any further resources than web filtering software being set up and some officials deciding what inmates can access.
Check out this quiz about what books are banned in prison. Prison wardens would probably demand white listing just individual pages, not even websites.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gobbeldygook posted:

Check out this quiz about what books are banned in prison. Prison wardens would probably demand white listing just individual pages, not even websites.

This could have been a list of 18 books that are banned in prison but they padded it out with two you can actually read in prison and I do not appreciate the interactivity. Just give me the loving list of weird banned books please.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ammon probably thinks he can organize a posse to take down the oath breaking officials and free him from his unconstitutional and illegal imprisonment. His idiot followers couldn't get past two parked vans, I'd like to see them get past a prison wall.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Geoj posted:

Well in this case it seems they want access to social media sites which all by their nature allow at least some sort of way to communicate with third parties. They could maybe find away to stop them logging in I guess? Technically easy way would be for them to request posts and for them to be given them saved offline.

I'm sure the prosecution will of already made a record of all the relevant parties publicly available social media postings over the period. With how ridiculously incriminating a lot of it was I would be amazed if they didn't. Could probably just get a copy off them I guess?

Not a legal expert but isn't evidence shared with both prosecution and defense before trial anyway?

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 12:22 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

Not a legal expert but isn't evidence shared with both prosecution and defense before trial anyway?

Yeah, but only the relevant evidence. The Bundy's could have different ideas than the prosecution about which posts are relevant.

They could also be having trouble remembering chapter and verse of their Legal Spells, which is why they haven't been able to banish the feds yet. That stuff isn't located in mainstream law resources, which never mattered to them before because it is all freely available on the internet. They aren't even allowed to talk to each other to collude try to jog their memories. The lawyers are useless, since while they should know all the Spells they keep saying things like "that isn't what that means" and "that isn't how that works". :argh: They need the internet to dig up the good stuff.