Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Bee posted:

What's happening in it currently?

Wowee, what a way to start off the new page. As a bonus, here's the promo for the Kalos League. Who will Ash lose to this time?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeyVL5FCCM8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Ive never played any pokemon games other than the gen 3 stuff. If I wanted to start playing gen 4 stuff which would be the best one to start with?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

corn in the fridge posted:

Ive never played any pokemon games other than the gen 3 stuff. If I wanted to start playing gen 4 stuff which would be the best one to start with?

Skip D/P and go straight to Platinum, it fixes up a lot of issues from D/P

HeartGold and SoulSilver are also really good

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

The Bee posted:

What's happening in it currently?

Well, uh, things have happened

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Well then.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Skip D/P and go straight to Platinum, it fixes up a lot of issues from D/P

HeartGold and SoulSilver are also really good

Are there any appreciable meta differences between heartgold and soulsilver that would make one a better choice than the other?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Crosspeice posted:

As a bonus, here's the promo for the Kalos League. Who will Ash lose to this time?!

I Believe That Ash Will Win

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Are there any appreciable meta differences between heartgold and soulsilver that would make one a better choice than the other?

Look at the exclusives and see what you like. That's pretty much the only difference.

I have tried to replay HeartGold so many times, but the combination of Gen IV speed and Gen II selection and level curve always stop me.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

less laughter posted:

The Steel part represents the elemental composition of the Sun (iron group elements and such)

That is really reaching.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Here's the list of exclusives by the way:
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/exclusives.shtml

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Cool thanks. Heartgold it is then 😎

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

hopeandjoy posted:

Look at the exclusives and see what you like. That's pretty much the only difference.

I have tried to replay HeartGold so many times, but the combination of Gen IV speed and Gen II selection and level curve always stop me.

Remakes always have problems since they are based on outdated games (see the endless packs of poochyena and zigzagoon in ORAS), but the Gen IV remakes had the unique position of inheriting the worst of both the old and new problems of their eras. Best to just skip them and play the Gen V games instead.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Crosspeice posted:

Wowee, what a way to start off the new page. As a bonus, here's the promo for the Kalos League. Who will Ash lose to this time?!

Ash is going to win this time, I think. He has the most powerful team he's ever had, made completely out of fully evolved monsters. He's mastered the synchro stuff with his Greninja and its Ash form. Plus, we seem to know all the entrants into the League this time, and they're all people he's fought before, so no stupid surprise entrants like goddamn Tobias.

(I will refrain from giving my rant on why Tobias is the loving worst.)

It honestly feels like they're leading up to an Ash victory this time. I just can't see them screwing him over again with the build up they've given us.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you people are the reason a pokemon's useful game stats are hidden below its anime appearances on bulbapedia

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dexie posted:

Ash is going to win this time, I think. He has the most powerful team he's ever had, made completely out of fully evolved monsters. He's mastered the synchro stuff with his Greninja and its Ash form. Plus, we seem to know all the entrants into the League this time, and they're all people he's fought before, so no stupid surprise entrants like goddamn Tobias.

It honestly feels like they're leading up to an Ash victory this time. I just can't see them screwing him over again with the build up they've given us.

He still only has five pokemon. Though, given that they've got five months before the new gen comes, they could buck the trend and actually let him win to face the Elite Four. He'll lose naturally, but it would be an improvement over the usual filler meandering.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Dexie posted:

What is his team?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Pikachu, Ash-Greninja and three flying pokémon (Hawlucha, Talonflame, Noivern)

I suspect the most of the remaining time before moving on to Sun/Moon will be spent on the Squishy/Zygarde core plot, though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dexie posted:

he's going to lose

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Xander B Coolridge posted:

That is really reaching.

Not really, its signature move is even called Sunsteel Strike.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gao gai garileo is steel because metal reflects sunlight and shines like the sun

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Crosspeice posted:

Tobias going synchro with his Darkrai

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

gao gai garileo is steel because metal reflects sunlight and shines like the sun

Pokémon Amie will be replaced with a polishing minigame (like polishing the gym badges in gens IV and V) so you can polish your metal lion until it shines

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Pikachu, Ash-Greninja and three flying pokémon (Hawlucha, Talonflame, Noivern)

Wait does he still only have 5 Pokemon. Is he going to get a 6th or is Sceptile or Charizard going to step in so that he can have a Mega.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

less laughter posted:

Not really, its signature move is even called Sunsteel Strike.

i hope it's unique item is zeke

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jarogue posted:

Wait does he still only have 5 Pokemon. Is he going to get a 6th or is Sceptile or Charizard going to step in so that he can have a Mega.

So Goodra can come back for the Elite Four in an emotional reunion scene

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

less laughter posted:

So Goodra can come back for the Elite Four in an emotional reunion scene

That thing is as good as gone as his Pidgeot.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jarogue posted:

That thing is as good as gone as his Pidgeot.

No his Goodra still makes cameos (most recently in eps 112 and 113) just so the audience won't forget it exists and won't be like "Who dat" when they bring it back for the Kalos League.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Just looking at Serebii the next episode is even Goodra-focused, so it returning seems likely

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Man, so I don't watch the anime and I never will, but everyone always goes on about how Tobias is the worst because he caught Legendaries or something. Why, beyond that, is there such a problem with him? I want to hear the rant.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lay on Hands posted:

Man, so I don't watch the anime and I never will, but everyone always goes on about how Tobias is the worst because he caught Legendaries or something. Why, beyond that, is there such a problem with him? I want to hear the rant.

The short version is Ash was pretty much set up to win so they had to throw in some random OP dude so he wouldn't. That was Tobias.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think i played b&w1 like when it first came out but just started replaying these last year

i played in this order:

white 2
x
omega ruby or whatever
yellow
heartgold
platinum

x&y is the best one i think

am I missing anything from the essential pokes canon that i will not remember whatsoever a week after i finish it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think i played b&w1 like when it first came out but just started replaying these last year

i played in this order:

white 2
x
omega ruby or whatever
yellow
heartgold
platinum

x&y is the best one i think

am I missing anything from the essential pokes canon that i will not remember whatsoever a week after i finish it

Hey You Pikachu is a must play.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Super No Vacancy posted:

Colosseum and XD. Otherwise how will you ever get any Miror B references

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Tobias is the embodiment of when you were a kid and just plowed through the Elite 4 with five legendaries and your starter and he owns.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Ash is gonna choke like the Chokey McChokenstein that he is!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

less laughter posted:

Colosseum and XD. Otherwise how will you ever get any Miror B references

i think i have one of these. colosseum? the one where you capture pokemon from other trainers. but in order to get my pokes from that to pokemon bank i would also have to beat firered i think which i dont wanna bother with having just done yellow. i might have an old emerald cart somewhere actually

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Emerald is pretty fun even if you've played omega Ruby or alpha sapphire. Emerald made a bunch of changes and added some cool stuff that sadly wasn't carried over in the remakes

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

oddium posted:

Wrong reference.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lay on Hands posted:

Ash was set to win the Sinnoh league. Like, all throughout the season they had built him up as the skilled, badass trainer that be should be at that point in his career. He had a drat good set of Sinnoh monsters, most of them fully evolved too, and he was also rotating them in and out for his older monsters. Charizard, Sceptile, Heracross, even his Cyndaquil came back and evolved just for the league.

Then he fought Tobias in the semifinal match, a trainer who had next to no build up (whereas before all of the trainers Ash had lost to in leave tournaments had at least an attempt at building them up, introducing them to Ash, etc).

Tobias ripped through his team like it was nothing. His team, for the record, was Sceptile, Heracross, Swellow, Pikachu, Gible, and Torkoal, a pretty drat good team. Tobias' Darkrai ripped through most of them, then when Ash finally beat it, SURPRISE ITS MOTHERFUCKING LATIOS TO TEAR THROUGH EVERYONE ELSE.

It wasn't even close to being an even battle, and it didn't even get a two parter. It was just Tobias tearing apart Ash's team without even breaking a sweat. It was dumb and I'm still salty about it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dexie posted:

I abso-fuckin'-lutely can. It's all they've ever done and I firmly believe it's all they'll ever do. It's partially why I stopped watching the anime; the producers revolting hard on for the status quo. And that status quo being despite all the lead up and hype Ash will somehow someway lose as he's ALWAYS done. If they in fact do let him win something and hell maybe get a girlfriend in Serena, literally loving ~ANYTHING~ other then the same old poo poo, then I apologize.

edit: God I'm a bitter old pill.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread