Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013
Doesn't make a lot of sense, I'd eliminate it if I was working on the line otherwise I'd ignore it. Possibly could cause some minor amount of turbulence in the line and doesn't really serve a purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jadunk posted:

Doesn't make a lot of sense, I'd eliminate it if I was working on the line otherwise I'd ignore it. Possibly could cause some minor amount of turbulence in the line and doesn't really serve a purpose.

I guess my question is there a good reason I should remove it, a really good (not theoretical) reason? Because it would be a pain in the rear end to remove it. I can't think of one. I understand the basic physics of pipe diameter, speed vs pressure. Water will lose speed when it enters the 3/4 pipe but when the pipe fills (air expelled) the overall pressure of the system should be maintained (?)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I guess my question is there a good reason I should remove it, a really good (not theoretical) reason? Because it would be a pain in the rear end to remove it. I can't think of one. I understand the basic physics of pipe diameter, speed vs pressure. Water will lose speed when it enters the 3/4 pipe but when the pipe fills (air expelled) the overall pressure of the system should be maintained (?)

Connections are usually where leaks occur. Less connections, less chance of leaks!

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

wormil posted:

I understand the basic physics of pipe diameter, speed vs pressure. Water will lose speed when it enters the 3/4 pipe but when the pipe fills (air expelled) the overall pressure of the system should be maintained (?)

Correct. You aren't choking it down from 3/4 to 1/2 which can cause volume issues. It probably won't cause any huge issues but I got no clue why it was installed, where it was installed, how difficult it would be to remove, what work is going on to prompt this or any of a bunch of other details. As I said, if I was already working on the line I would probably replace that with 1/2. Take that for what its worth.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

devicenull posted:

Connections are usually where leaks occur. Less connections, less chance of leaks!

Well it's a trunk line to a bathroom so there will be lots of connections (sink, toilet, shower/bath, washer), this only adds two to all those.

Jadunk posted:

I got no clue why it was installed

I was told that pex has a much smaller ID than copper and that 3/4 pex is closer to 1/2 copper than 1/2 pex. So when the original polybutylene broke, I replaced it with 3/4 pex. Now I'm replacing all the polybutylene downline. So it's going from 1/2 copper, to 3/4 pex, to 1/2 pex. I could replace the 3/4 but I'd have to buy new fittings and crawl 40' on my hands and knees in a pitch black crawl space filled with damp earth, crickets, and concrete rubble, so shallow I have to work while leaning sideways. I could do it, but I don't want to unless there is a good reason. And apparently real plumbers don't want to do it either judging by the ridiculous quotes they give me, like $800 for a job that took me 10 minutes and $5. Over the years I've hired 4 plumbers and only one of them knew his rear end from a hole in the ground. The rest I had to redo the work myself and I definitely don't know my rear end from a hole in the ground when it comes to plumbing. When I bought a fridge it came with free installation and the guy hosed up the icemaker connection so I'm getting ready to redo that.

Overall this pex stuff has been a pain in the rear end. It's easy, in a way, but there is a learning curve, the pieces are expensive, and there isn't any website or video that gives you the full story. It's all pieces that you have to assemble.

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
I'm having trouble with keeping the pilot light lit on my gas water heater. The first time it went out was Saturday. I was able to get it back on going through the lighting procedure. Then, it went out again on Wednesday. This time I had to hold the pilot lighting for a good 3 minutes before it would stay lit. The pilot was out again this morning so I relit it and it went out after the tank got up to the correct temperature. So, I tried to light the pilot and was having even more difficulty. I did notice that the gas control was warm to the touch, not sure if that is supposed to happen or not. It took me a good 5-6 minutes of holding down the pilot to get it to stay lit. So, would this be the gas control valve that's bad or the thermocouple?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

RE: Last page's water heater chat

Works great, look how efficient it is! (Or gas was a lot cheaper 22 years ago.) I'm not going to touch this thing. It is working just fine and I am not jinxing it by posting it here. Still have 7 months left on the home warranty though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Gatla posted:

I'm having trouble with keeping the pilot light lit on my gas water heater. The first time it went out was Saturday. I was able to get it back on going through the lighting procedure. Then, it went out again on Wednesday. This time I had to hold the pilot lighting for a good 3 minutes before it would stay lit. The pilot was out again this morning so I relit it and it went out after the tank got up to the correct temperature. So, I tried to light the pilot and was having even more difficulty. I did notice that the gas control was warm to the touch, not sure if that is supposed to happen or not. It took me a good 5-6 minutes of holding down the pilot to get it to stay lit. So, would this be the gas control valve that's bad or the thermocouple?

Usually it's the thermocouple. When the flame sensor goes bad, it can't detect a flame anymore and shuts off the gas, just like it's supposed to. If you've been trying to get it to light right before you decide to pull the old one out, wait for it to cool down so you don't burn your fingers.

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

wormil posted:

I was told that pex has a much smaller ID than copper and that 3/4 pex is closer to 1/2 copper than 1/2 pex.

While there is something to that, 1/2 PEX is still closer to 1/2 type L copper (.06 difference in ID) than 3/4 (0.136 difference in ID). Yes, 1/2 PEX has a smaller ID than 1/2 type L but you shouldn't really worry about it.

quote:

Overall this pex stuff has been a pain in the rear end. It's easy, in a way, but there is a learning curve, the pieces are expensive, and there isn't any website or video that gives you the full story. It's all pieces that you have to assemble.

Expensive? It's cheaper than copper unless you're doing something silly like using sharkbites to make your connections. How cheap the material is and how easy it is to install are the two major things that have caused old school plumbers to fight against the stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jadunk posted:

Expensive? It's cheaper than copper

True, Pex is cheaper than copper. I was thinking of the connectors which are the same or higher and they don't come in as many varieties and there are very few adapters. Add to that Lowes and HD don't carry all available connectors or adapters so I have to go back and forth to both stores to get what I need. Example, apparently there is no adapter for a washer spigot and you can't buy pex spigots separately so I have to spend $40 on an outlet box I don't need to get $15 of spigots. Mostly it's just that I don't like doing plumbing and am whining.

Copper is not an option here. Put copper in your house in this city and when you come home from vacation it'll be gone and your house is flooded. I know people who have ripped out perfectly good copper and replaced it so they wouldn't have to worry about thieves. Three of my immediate neighbors had their copper stolen, I'm considering replacing all of mine with pex.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IMNAP I'm pretty sure I've read here for fixtures you are suppose to run pex to the wall then a short run of copper to the fixture. Pex flexes and moves like a wet noodle so it's preferable to have the last foot or so as copper for a more rigid fixture and less leak trouble later on.

Edit: just curious, niagara falls usa? I hear thr police blotter for that area and dick are always taking copper and water tanks from houses.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

If people break into inhabited dwellings to steal copper pipes in your neighborhood you should probably think about moving, man. Jesus.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

stupid puma posted:

If people break into inhabited dwellings to steal copper pipes in your neighborhood you should probably think about moving, man. Jesus.

Thank you for your evaluation. I chose this area for specific reasons and for 18 years no one even bothered to lock their doors because there was zero crime then a group of criminals came to the area and the cops are doing gently caress all about it. They watch for a house to go up for sale or occasionally someone to leave on vacation then come and take all the copper pipes and the HVAC unit. They are incredibly good at not getting caught. Even with the neighborhood on alert and watching they are still succeeding somehow.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shoot them

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Who?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Exactly.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Shoot the police. While dressed like hamburglar.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
"For Rodney Burger King!!"

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

wormil posted:

Thank you for your evaluation. I chose this area for specific reasons and for 18 years no one even bothered to lock their doors because there was zero crime then a group of criminals came to the area and the cops are doing gently caress all about it. They watch for a house to go up for sale or occasionally someone to leave on vacation then come and take all the copper pipes and the HVAC unit. They are incredibly good at not getting caught. Even with the neighborhood on alert and watching they are still succeeding somehow.

So do you put a big sign on your lawn that says "No Copper Plumbing Here"?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, aren't they going to still rip all your walls open looking for the sweet sweet copper?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We all have crawlspaces with an exterior entrance. 2 seconds with a flashlight tells them if you have copper, 4 seconds if you have a lock. The metal recycler now has cameras and records the DL of every person bringing in copper. They won't accept hvac units unless you are a contractor. The cops... well I don't know what they are doing. And yet the criminals continued to be successful. Some of us put in cameras and advertised it and that seems to have slowed them down.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Price of scrap copper is also down.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Price of scrap copper is also down.
Prices of scrap everything are down. This time last year you could get $13/lb for hard drive controller boards, now it's $2. I'm hoarding 286/386/486 processors and boards in the hope that prices recover.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty obvious from your posts that it's the cops stealing the pipes.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

FogHelmut posted:

Pretty obvious from your posts that it's the cops stealing the pipes.

:siren: Forums Poster "FogHelmut" Blows Cop Copper Caper Wide Open :siren:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
How do you connect these washing machine valves to PEX? I found a 1/2" NPT adapter but it only screws on about half a turn and I can't find anything else that fits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wormil posted:

How do you connect these washing machine valves to PEX? I found a 1/2" NPT adapter but it only screws on about half a turn and I can't find anything else that fits.

NPT threads are supposed to be tight. To make the seal, they partially deform in addition to the thread sealant.

As an alternative for washing machine valves, you might want to try PEX drop ear elbows.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

kid sinister posted:

NPT threads are supposed to be tight. To make the seal, they partially deform in addition to the thread sealant.

Thanks. Well I put it on and cranked it down with some Teflon tape.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That Pex adapter leaked like crazy. Two of us together can't tighten it enough to stop the leak. I found exactly what I need, called a boiler drain and has a 1/2" pex fitting.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wormil posted:

That Pex adapter leaked like crazy. Two of us together can't tighten it enough to stop the leak.

What were you trying to mate it to? I use PEX extensively and have never had a problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm, wasting my time.

VVVVVVV what does it matter, same threads

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 8, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wormil posted:

Why do they not make pex valves that you can buy separately?

https://www.doitbest.com/products/c...9702d1b9e2d4e00

Also, why does your picture show an old, used boiler valve while you gave a link to a new one?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 8, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

wormil posted:

That Pex adapter leaked like crazy. Two of us together can't tighten it enough to stop the leak. I found exactly what I need, called a boiler drain and has a 1/2" pex fitting.

Man, you're giving me flashbacks from trades school. "Christ, I've tightened this like four turns and now I'm burying it into the fitting and it still leaks GOD loving DAMNIT gently caress PIPES gently caress PLUMBING WHY DID I EVER PICK THIS JOB AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :ssj:"

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wormil posted:

nm, wasting my time.

VVVVVVV what does it matter, same threads

Not entirely the same. Remember how I said that the threads deform? Well, used parts have used threads. It isn't common, but it is possible for threads to get so deformed once used that they will only ever properly seal with the part they were attached to. That valve in your picture definitely has been used before, with those deposits on its packing nut.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have this faucet on my shower

Its calcified and drips and only does "warm" or "hot." I'd like to replace it. I don't know what is involved in this. I don't want to just replace the cartridge. I'm going to assume this is original with the house from the mid 1970's, only because its the same faucet on all of the showers.

I'm seeing these sold in components - like valve bodies, faucet handle "valve trim", etc. Will I need to get in the wall and solder in new stuff? I don't see any stamps or logos as to who it is made by. Should I just assume that I have to replace everything?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I live in a tiny house, like cooking, and don't like doing a lot of dishes. So I'm picking up a portable dishwasher. I'm looking at this Whirlpool. http://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-24-125-in-55-Decibel-Portable-Dishwasher-White/50238313

It has better reviews than the GE one that Lowe's carries, and Whirlpool has a better rating than GE for dishwashers on Consumer Reports. The documentation warns that I can't use the portable dishwasher on a sink with a sprayer hose, because the sprayer line will explode. Is it possible to replace the sprayer line with something more durable, or do I have to choose between dishwasher and sprayer hose?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I have this faucet on my shower

Its calcified and drips and only does "warm" or "hot." I'd like to replace it. I don't know what is involved in this. I don't want to just replace the cartridge. I'm going to assume this is original with the house from the mid 1970's, only because its the same faucet on all of the showers.

I'm seeing these sold in components - like valve bodies, faucet handle "valve trim", etc. Will I need to get in the wall and solder in new stuff? I don't see any stamps or logos as to who it is made by. Should I just assume that I have to replace everything?

If you want a new fixture, then you need to replace the old one. Unfortunately for showers, that means tearing into the wall, cutting out the old valve body and soldering in a new one. That can be done from the either side of the wall. About the only thing you can replace on a shower faucet to update its look without going into the wall is the handles and maybe the escutcheon.

Look closer on the escutcheon. There should be a maker's mark on it. If not, take the handle off and take that into the hardware store. See what stems it fits. That should help you narrow down who made it. Otherwise, you need to do the same thing with the cartridge.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

kelvron posted:

I live in a tiny house, like cooking, and don't like doing a lot of dishes. So I'm picking up a portable dishwasher. I'm looking at this Whirlpool. http://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-24-125-in-55-Decibel-Portable-Dishwasher-White/50238313

It has better reviews than the GE one that Lowe's carries, and Whirlpool has a better rating than GE for dishwashers on Consumer Reports. The documentation warns that I can't use the portable dishwasher on a sink with a sprayer hose, because the sprayer line will explode. Is it possible to replace the sprayer line with something more durable, or do I have to choose between dishwasher and sprayer hose?

Tiny house? This one is slightly smaller and as an added bonus the sweethome liked it much better than the whirlpool

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-18-in-Portable-Dishwasher-in-White-with-8-Place-Setting-Capacity-DDW1801MWP/206863856

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Can you take more pictures of the shower handle? Maybe start taking it apart bit by bit taking pictures after taking each piece off. It looks like it might be an old delta monitor but I'd need more pictures to be sure at all. If you can figure out the manufacturer / model you may be able to get new trim (handle, escutcheon, etc) that will fit it and do that + cartridge. Otherwise yeah, you're opening the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Qwijib0 posted:

Tiny house? This one is slightly smaller and as an added bonus the sweethome liked it much better than the whirlpool

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-18-in-Portable-Dishwasher-in-White-with-8-Place-Setting-Capacity-DDW1801MWP/206863856

That looks a lot better. Never heard of Danby, so I avoided them initially. Sweet home looks pretty reputable too.

Still looking for an answer to my other question about portable dishwashers and sink sprayers. Is it something thats fixable? Or will I have to lose my sprayer to get the portable dishwasher?