Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
Is it acceptable to pile shuffle if your entire deck is graded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Carry dice of all sizes from 60 down to 1 and do a proper fisher-yates shuffle

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Unfortunately, then you would know the order of your deck. Best solution is to keep your deck sorted and roll a die when you need to draw.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Playing in an EMA PPTQ on Saturday the 11th instead of going to Columbus. Seems like a good choice.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Playing in an EMA PPTQ on Saturday the 11th instead of going to Columbus. Seems like a good choice.

Yeah, Columbus is a shithole.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Carry dice of all sizes from 60 down to 1 and do a proper fisher-yates shuffle

what about my vintage battle of wits deck :saddowns:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

You are right. Full value probably wasn't attainable. I think selling a volc for 2500 when the tcg low for them is 3750 is probably not a great sale.

lmao jesus losing out on a thousand bucks like that

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I never thought anyone on Puca was a true believer and it was just a bunch of people getting rid of overpriced standard cards and turning them into $10-30 ~eternal staples~. A mosh pit of mtgfinance. I was wrong. :catstare:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can't seem to find it on their new website, does Thewarstore still buy singles?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Puca is fantastic for pimping out a cube quickly. I turned 64 Deathrite Shamans into about $350 worth of random foils, a way better conversion than I'd have gotten from a buylist. I just keep dumping the nonfoils I replaced and extra standard junk I have lying around and my wishlist is nothing but cube foils. Over the course of about 6 months I'm down to 211 cards to go (out of 600).

My only issue with it is the complete lack of a feedback system, so when people send you MP garbage you just get a, "Sorry, didn't notice, here are some points back." They got to ditch a hard-to-move card, and you're stuck with a poo poo card you don't really want.....try suggesting you want to return it, see how well that goes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My only issue with it is the complete lack of a feedback system, so when people send you MP garbage you just get a, "Sorry, didn't notice, here are some points back." They got to ditch a hard-to-move card, and you're stuck with a poo poo card you don't really want.....try suggesting you want to return it, see how well that goes.

Yeah, ever since I put that LP cards were ok in my profile I've had to file a complaint with about 1/3-40% of my trades. I had to add the caveat that I'll only take them with a picture and I haven't had a problem since.

I've had a lot of success telling them that I'm returning it unless they give me a discount. Always provide detailed pictures. I've only had one guy give me a problem and refuse to give me a discount, and the mods took my side anyway.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, ever since I put that LP cards were ok in my profile I've had to file a complaint with about 1/3-40% of my trades. I had to add the caveat that I'll only take them with a picture and I haven't had a problem since.

I've had a lot of success telling them that I'm returning it unless they give me a discount. Always provide detailed pictures. I've only had one guy give me a problem and refuse to give me a discount, and the mods took my side anyway.

I've only gotten to return one card, it was over 8000 points and had a giant divot taken out of one corner. He was a huge dick about it because the value was inflated a bit at the time (I didn't mind because I was getting a $70 card for points off like 50 $2 Standard rares after OGW release). I sent high-res scans, but I had to wait for mods to intercede. They took my side and even credited me points for shipping it back, but it's an enormous pain in the rear end. At this point I say "NM only it's in the site rules" and things have gone smoother.

A bigger issue was last month when a foil Deathrite went missing in transit. Idiot sent it in a PWE no tracking...."I don't like wasting my money on cheap trades, I only put it on $80+". The mods took my side, there's a specific rule requiring tracking over $50, but it took almost a month to get my points refunded and naturally he accused me of trying to take advantage of him not using tracking (....so use tracking, idiot).

Mods are fantastic on there, but I wish I didn't have to fight a battle on every fourth trade.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Reading the comments on LSV's "What's the play" article over at CFB, with a classic "loot or not?" problem, is making my brain hurt.
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/luis-scott-vargas/whats-the-play-the-looter-problem/

I know I know, should not read things in the internet. But I am weak.

Loot 24/7

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Lunsku posted:

Reading the comments on LSV's "What's the play" article over at CFB, with a classic "loot or not?" problem, is making my brain hurt.
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/luis-scott-vargas/whats-the-play-the-looter-problem/

Loot 24/7

BUT WHAT IF THE CARD IS BETTER THAN LIGHTNING BLAST

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

I build up 20000 puca points over the last year with a bunch of draft stuff and old eternal cards. decided to buy into pauper. have GW stompy, UB teachings, delver, tron, slivers incoming. Getting ready to teach my housemates the game finally.

the 2 talismans from mirrodin jumping to 6$ really helped.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lunsku posted:

Loot 24/7

I don't get it, what possible reason is there to not loot here?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

what if they flash in Spirit of the Labyrinth and you're forced to discard the Blast!!!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they play it off the Aether Vial that's just off screen

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The only situation in which I could loot into a card I'm not discarding is if the top card of my deck is control magic, so looting into control magic doesn't actually change my ability to cast control magic.

If I loot into control magic, I now have to pitch the best removal spell in my hand, and one that represents a full turn faster on the kill if I control magic the serra angel.

Finally, I don't see the benefit in milling one of the mediocre action cards, considering that I'm likely to blast the angel next turn, and then after that I'll need to either start playing mediocre threats (hill giants or evasive 2/2s) or kill small creatures / burn the dome, and I'd not mill any of those mediocre action cards as the slightly higher threat density in the deck seems like a fringe benefit.

The only scenario I see as beneficial is a loot where the top card is a land, and that's statistically less likely. than not.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

The only situation in which I could loot into a card I'm not discarding is if the top card of my deck is control magic, so looting into control magic doesn't actually change my ability to cast control magic.

Looting affects your ability to cast Control Magic if it's your second or third card. You're seeing more cards before you next need to cast a spell, and that means more chances to get Control Magic.

Do you believe that draw-a-card effects are always worthless, because they always just give you the card you'd have gotten in your next draw step anyhow?

Sigma-X posted:

Finally, I don't see the benefit in milling one of the mediocre action cards, considering that I'm likely to blast the angel next turn, and then after that I'll need to either start playing mediocre threats (hill giants or evasive 2/2s) or kill small creatures / burn the dome, and I'd not mill any of those mediocre action cards as the slightly higher threat density in the deck seems like a fringe benefit.

The only scenario I see as beneficial is a loot where the top card is a land, and that's statistically less likely. than not.

lmao

Actually, random mill is good.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Actually, random mill is good.

What is the benefit of random mill here? I legit don't see it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

What is the benefit of random mill here? I legit don't see it.

Knowing what's no longer in your deck lets you make better-informed decisions, for one thing. Same reason it's pretty much always good as long as it's not decking you or beefing up your opponent's Tarmogoyf or whatever.

Considering the benefit of increased chance to draw Control Magic, the real question is what is the drawback of random mill here? Your "but you might mill a good card, it only helps if you mill a land which you probably won't!" explanation is asinine, since the exact same argument would say that putting the top card of your deck on the bottom of your deck without looking at it is bad, which it obviously isn't.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't get why you wouldn't loot, even though I'm guessing that's what LSV is going to suggest. There isn't a circumstance that somehow forces you to discard your answer to Serra Angel.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sigma-X posted:

If I loot into control magic, I now have to pitch the best removal spell in my hand, and one that represents a full turn faster on the kill if I control magic the serra angel.

I agree with this. Once I deal with the angel (which I am effectively guaranteed to be able to do no matter what) I'll be at board parity + an active looter vs. an opponent with no cards in their hand and me having drawn for at least one turn. That is a pretty good case in which to have a "mediocre" hill giant or wind drake.

Something I notice is that the number of lands left in the deck is exactly the same as the total number of threats that can win the game in some fashion (which is to say, not the shocks), or, in the case of the Sifts, do an significantly above average job of digging you to the threats. I don't mind discarding one of the shocks, but discarding any of the other non-shock, nonland cards is a significantly wasted chance to get ahead on the board after trading the blast for the angel. It's very close to a coin flip. If I knew that there was a reason that I had to get ahead in the game ASAP, like my opponent's deck is full of bombs vs. my replacement level deck, I'd probably flip that coin, but in the absence of any information, I don't think that passing up looting for one turn is more likely to lose me the game than not. If I do draw a land then I can just start looting "safely."

It seems like some people might be applying the usual logic that it's good to blindly loot because you will always get to keep the best card(s) out of your hand plus the top of your library, which means you will always be happy. That's a generally good heuristic but I think that applying it here ignores the fact that the value of the card already in your hand is not only known but nearly absolute, so to speak-- it directly answers the must-answer threat and it's one of only two cards in your deck that can do so. The only case in which you loot and haven't just effectively milled yourself is if the top card is exactly Control Magic, and Sigma already addressed this situation above-- namely, that it's silly to remove the second best removal spell in your deck from your options pool for the rest of the game when you didn't have to.

e: Point taken that milling yourself isn't bad per se, but as I said, I don't think that here you want to do it blindly, especially when waiting to get a tiny bit more information is such a small tempo loss. Again, there might be factors we don't have access to that change the significance of that tempo loss.

Looting affects your ability to cast Control Magic if it's your second or third card. You're seeing more cards before you next need to cast a spell, and that means more chances to get Control Magic.

And if digging to Control Magic was your only out in this game then this argument would unquestionably seal the deal in favor of looting, but it's not-- even in the exact case you just described, you can cleanly answer your opponent's (currently only) threat and still have a control magic 2 cards down.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 3, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I agree with Lottery but the real question is why we didn't attack for 1 last turn, since any benefit from looting in this case is definitely lower than 1 damage

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I think it's extremely marginal to the point where luck is going to be the overriding factor to who wins the game. If you were in a tournament setting this level of nuts and bolts grinding is going to lose you more games than it wins from mental exhaustion.

That said, loot baby loot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Elyv posted:

I agree with Lottery but the real question is why we didn't attack for 1 last turn, since any benefit from looting in this case is definitely lower than 1 damage

Because they would block with their vigilant Serra Angel and then you would be extremely sad?

And while I would loot, this decision is incredibly marginal and doesn't make that much of a difference.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Because they would block with their vigilant Serra Angel and then you would be extremely sad?

And while I would loot, this decision is incredibly marginal and doesn't make that much of a difference.

I mean, I assume they just played their Serra this turn and that's the reason they have no cards in hand and we didn't leave 4 mana up to kill it last turn or kill it on our turn.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I would loot. Then present my deck to my opponent for shuffling and call a judge.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

I mean, I assume they just played their Serra this turn and that's the reason they have no cards in hand and we didn't leave 4 mana up to kill it last turn or kill it on our turn.

We just tapped out to cast Pyrokinesis to kill their other threat.

JerryLee posted:

I agree with this. Once I deal with the angel (which I am effectively guaranteed to be able to do no matter what) I'll be at board parity + an active looter vs. an opponent with no cards in their hand and me having drawn for at least one turn. That is a pretty good case in which to have a "mediocre" hill giant or wind drake.

Something I notice is that the number of lands left in the deck is exactly the same as the total number of threats that can win the game in some fashion (which is to say, not the shocks), or, in the case of the Sifts, do an significantly above average job of digging you to the threats. I don't mind discarding one of the shocks, but discarding any of the other non-shock, nonland cards is a significantly wasted chance to get ahead on the board after trading the blast for the angel. It's very close to a coin flip. If I knew that there was a reason that I had to get ahead in the game ASAP, like my opponent's deck is full of bombs vs. my replacement level deck, I'd probably flip that coin, but in the absence of any information, I don't think that passing up looting for one turn is more likely to lose me the game than not. If I do draw a land then I can just start looting "safely."

It seems like some people might be applying the usual logic that it's good to blindly loot because you will always get to keep the best card(s) out of your hand plus the top of your library, which means you will always be happy. That's a generally good heuristic but I think that applying it here ignores the fact that the value of the card already in your hand is not only known but nearly absolute, so to speak-- it directly answers the must-answer threat and it's one of only two cards in your deck that can do so. The only case in which you loot and haven't just effectively milled yourself is if the top card is exactly Control Magic, and Sigma already addressed this situation above-- namely, that it's silly to remove the second best removal spell in your deck from your options pool for the rest of the game when you didn't have to.

e: Point taken that milling yourself isn't bad per se, but as I said, I don't think that here you want to do it blindly, especially when waiting to get a tiny bit more information is such a small tempo loss. Again, there might be factors we don't have access to that change the significance of that tempo loss.

And if digging to Control Magic was your only out in this game then this argument would unquestionably seal the deal in favor of looting, but it's not-- even in the exact case you just described, you can cleanly answer your opponent's (currently only) threat and still have a control magic 2 cards down.

Looting is certainly unusually weak here, but it's still better than not looting. It's random mill with a minor upside (there is one card that if randomly milled upgrades your lightning blast to create a Serra Angel token when it kills Serra Angel). Which means it's better than random mill. Which means it's good.

Counting remaining lands versus remaining creatures in the deck is completely meaningless.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get why you wouldn't loot, even though I'm guessing that's what LSV is going to suggest. There isn't a circumstance that somehow forces you to discard your answer to Serra Angel.

Nah, he'll suggest looting. There's been multiple recent(ish) draft and constructed videos where he's said that the only situation he would even consider not looting is if he already had the best card in his deck in his hand, and had no benefit whatsoever from having cards in his graveyard. Even in that case the extra information is helpful.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

Nah, he'll suggest looting. There's been multiple recent(ish) draft and constructed videos where he's said that the only situation he would even consider not looting is if he already had the best card in his deck in his hand, and had no benefit whatsoever from having cards in his graveyard. Even in that case the extra information is helpful.

Yea LSV is all about finding the tiniest morsel of value. I won a game once from his advice to always use the ability on Fertile Thicket even if you would send all the lands to the bottom.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ShadeofBlue posted:

There's a cost in revealing information to your opponent, if we're talking absolute marginals.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

There's a cost in revealing information to your opponent, if we're talking absolute marginals.

Fair enough.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
When do EMN spoilers start?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

Fwiw I saw him say on fb in response to Finkel "I know [there's no reason not to loot] but I'm just waiting for someone to present a reasonable counterargument"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gensuki posted:

When do EMN spoilers start?

Spoiler season is usually 2 weeks before Prerelease iirc, so they should start at the end of June/Beginning of July.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

To the people who don't want to loot, just goldfishing against the angel and 12 life opponent:

Case 1, control magic is on top, you loot and keep control magic, lose a turn off your clock compared to not looting.
Case 2, control magic is second from the top, loot and mill 1, you get it on the draw and keep back looter as a blocker, small advantage compared to not looting.
Case 3, control magic is third from the top, loot and mill 1, then loot into control magic next turn, huge advantage compared to not looting, cuts multiple turns off your clock.

Algid fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2016

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
I'm playing a lot less Magic these days and there's a decent sized tournament tomorrow with a few vendors. I have just a little over $800 in TCG Mid picked out. What would a fair price for this be? Don't have any experience selling cards like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I AM CARVALLO posted:

I'm playing a lot less Magic these days and there's a decent sized tournament tomorrow with a few vendors. I have just a little over $800 in TCG Mid picked out. What would a fair price for this be? Don't have any experience selling cards like this.

Tcg mid is going to be pretty meaningless. It's going to boil down to how many staples you own And what shape they are in.

I would expect offers of around 400 or less.

• Locked thread