Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Cygni posted:

Also I know this really doesn't need to be said, but 1 dominating win and NASCAR is ringing the 'CHANGE EVERYTHING' alarm?

Brian_France.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't mind the race, it was fun to watch truex just ruin everyone else, and wait for the shoe to drop. Also was hanging out with friends cooking food and drinking things.. so the race was just background stuff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

they wouldn't do this if bitch rear end fans would stop crying like babies when 8,000 passes didn't happen in the span of 15 minutes

nobody is bitching in here but i guess this is still somehow not nascar's fault if they overreact

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Interviewed A.J. Allmendinger at Sears Point today. He said before he was a Jeff Gordon fan, he rooted for Harry Gant. :getin:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
It didn't seem like cars back in the pack were having that much trouble passing. At different times it felt like good cars, or cars that made adjustments and were caught back in the pack were able to climb up through the pack easy enough. I just think the #78 crushed the field and like somebody else mentioned, I can't believe they haven't torn that thing down and rebuilt it a few times to figure out what they did to beat everyone so badly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There were races in the past when you'd have someone dominate and think they had the best car in the field, and then once they got shuffled back in the order by caution/pit stops, it turned out that nah, it was just track position/inability to pass giving them a huge advantage. I can't count how many times this poo poo happened with the COT/pre-modded G6. Definitely not what happened with Truex, he seemed to just have the right car on the right night.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

nobody is bitching in here but i guess this is still somehow not nascar's fault if they overreact

I interact with the "average" NASCAR fan a lot more than you guys, recently. You're all loving expert analysts compared to the herd of animals I help corral on Facebook.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

VikingSkull posted:

I interact with the "average" NASCAR fan a lot more than you guys, recently. You're all loving expert analysts compared to the herd of animals I help corral on Facebook.

Seconded. I agree Truex and Furniture Row just had the setup and loving crushed people. No way you can beat that. I'm hoping NASCAR doesn't think low downforce is a failure just because of this race. Maybe it'll make them more bolder to take the aero away as a few of the races coming up will have an even lower downforce setup. Heck take another half inch off and lay the spoiler back a little.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

Interviewed A.J. Allmendinger at Sears Point today. He said before he was a Jeff Gordon fan, he rooted for Harry Gant. :getin:

He has good taste.

Always knew I liked something about that guy.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

VikingSkull posted:

1-800-273-8255

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

This is the first year I'm watching NASCAR and going to the Brickyard, so the OP is pretty drat helpful. is it kosher to still root for Tony Stewart after he ran Kevin Ward down?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If you like rooting for drivers who finish in the low 20s usually, sure.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

it's only him and Newman still left as Indiana boys, right? my knowledge of the sport is about as bare as it gets, so I'm looking for familiar names at this point

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

TheHoosier posted:

This is the first year I'm watching NASCAR and going to the Brickyard, so the OP is pretty drat helpful. is it kosher to still root for Tony Stewart after he ran Kevin Ward down?

It actually made me a fan.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Harveygod posted:

It actually made me a fan.

The OP or Stewart's insatisable bloodlust?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lmao the brickyard 400 is awful. I don't go anymore unless someone gets me a hospitality suite invite.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Did some digging and found a couple interviews with Jocko Maggiacomo in 1988 about his career and his wreck with Bobby Allison at Pocono. I put them together chronologically in this piece.

EDIT: And welcome aboard, TheHoosier. If you're free, you gotta join us in #IRC for the races. We'll introduce you the glory of the Pearn Count and Darrell Waltrip's non sequitirs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

devmd01 posted:

Lmao the brickyard 400 is awful. I don't go anymore unless someone gets me a hospitality suite invite.

Yeah, but if he's never been to a race, it's worth a try for the experience.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's a bad race but it's still fun to go to. it's like the baseball of motor races.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Brickyard 400 IMO was:

-On par with the Indy 500 from 94-95, and 05-08
-A bigger event at the track than the Indy 500 from 96-05.

It's not a bad event, just one that's kinda struggled ever since tiregate occurred.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 3, 2016

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Even bad races can be fun. Rent a scanner, drink beer, buy a tacky hat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mischief posted:

Pretty much this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This is probably a bit outdated, but here are some tips for attending the Brickyard 400:

http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=The_Goon%27s_Guide_To_Attending_Auto_Races#Indianapolis_Motor_Speedway

...mine draw from 2005, when the race was much more well-attended than it is today.

In other news, the Virginia Tech/Tennessee game being held at Bristol will be going head-to-head with the Cup race at Richmond.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 3, 2016

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

mischief posted:

Plus who's to say it will be that bad of a race. I mean, history, but a lot of races have actually been good this year. Indy might be ok this year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My one criticism of the Cup weekend at IMS is they don't do Trucks and XFS at IRP any more.

Seriously that needs to come back. Gotta give love to the short track community there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah, you can't go into Indy's backyard and not try to steal the short track community away from thehahahahahahaha oh god i cant

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Busch at IRP used to unofficially be one of the biggest races of the year in that series and I miss it. It was basically that, Daytona, and Charlotte.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Busch at IRP used to unofficially be one of the biggest races of the year in that series and I miss it. It was basically that, Daytona, and Charlotte.

They'd race Silver Crown during that weekend and kinda treat it like a 2nd Memorial Day weekend for the short track community. A very wise plan to tie the two together and something they really need to revisit.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

A group of us went to the Brickyard seven years in a row and had an awesome weekend every year. The Brickyard was always the least enjoyable part.

It'd be nice if NASCAR would add Newton to the Cup schedule. It kinda sucks Brickyard and Chicagoland are my two local tracks.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Heathen posted:

A group of us went to the Brickyard seven years in a row and had an awesome weekend every year. The Brickyard was always the least enjoyable part.

Same for me, but New Hampshire. Every race that weekend was great except the cup race. If I were to start going again I think I would actually skip Sunday.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Busch race at IRP in 2005 is still one of the most fun times I've had at a racetrack. The race was pretty good, walking through the hauler lot to the stands ruled, and the environment was fun.

Plus, you haven't quite lived until you've ridden out a monsoon under a BBQ tent and driven RC cars to wait out the rain.

e- ARCA is running IRP this year and, on a related note, all remaining ARCA races will be televised on either FS1/2 or American Sports Network.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 3, 2016

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

TheHoosier posted:

it's only him and Newman still left as Indiana boys, right? my knowledge of the sport is about as bare as it gets, so I'm looking for familiar names at this point

Yeah but they both suck.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The producer for NASCAR Sirius/XM "Speedway" seems like a delightful and enlightened fellow! Truly the Grantland Rice of our times!

https://twitter.com/dustinswedelson/status/738578488005791745

Not like there's...you know...Cup fans from Ohio posting this entire thread or anything. Oh no.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

well hes not wrong

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

well hes not wrong

counterpoint: He lives in Charlotte, which uh...well...yeah.

e: The Carolina's are not horrible, I just really got the vibe at times that it was very Akron-like at times. Not some "paradise" as this guy is trying to portray it as.

e2: I really believe that there's not one city better than the other in this country. All have their poo poo areas, all have their nice areas. It's just a dumbass hot take from a guy trying to be Colin Cowherd.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 3, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If Ckeveland didn't suck they would win a championship in something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

jabro posted:

You know how Green Bay is "Title Town" and Edmonton is "The City of Champions"?

We're "No Title Town". :).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

jabro posted:

The sports owners in Cleveland take personnel advice from hobos.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

The producer for NASCAR Sirius/XM "Speedway" seems like a delightful and enlightened fellow! Truly the Grantland Rice of our times!

https://twitter.com/dustinswedelson/status/738578488005791745

Not like there's...you know...Cup fans from Ohio posting this entire thread or anything. Oh no.

my cousin lives in Cleveland and she says it's sucking the life out of her like some kind of post-industrial necromancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

my cousin lives in Cleveland and she says it's sucking the life out of her like some kind of post-industrial necromancer

Yes, but it's like the scene from Animal House.

"He's making fun of our city and saying it sucks. Only WE can do that to our city!"

Anyways, I don't know...just further proof that NASCAR on Sirius/XM is a garbage dump of bad radio.

• Locked thread