Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dexo posted:

Well that's because Joe Biden was figuratively debating with both hands tied behind his back in order to not come off as menacing against a woman who was way out of her depth.

Even with both hands behind his back Biden destroyed Palin because she very poorly decided to attack him on 'not knowing what a single parent goes through' when Biden knows all too well what it's like to be a single parent after his first wife died in an auto accident. Palin should have been coached to never get near the topic of Biden's dead first wife but word salad have no brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nosfereefer posted:

I wouldn't be so sure Hillary butchering Trump in a debate would mean anything. If memory serves, the people who would be voting for him will just ignore it or even make up a new reality where Trump did all the owning. If anything, the media turning on Trump will just confirm the ancient "liberal-media" meme that's always thrown around.

Correct. Remember, Paul Ryan "won" this debate:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The only place I really remember pushing Ryan as winning that debate was fox news which was going to say that no matter what. Otherwise it was standard media horserace hogwash.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Bullshit he did. Fox News and the usual right wing sources might have claimed that, but the overwhelming takeaway was that Ryan got beaten badly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm still sad that "a bunch of stuff" never became a lasting meme.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with this is the no-fly list is an extra-judicial process. If the president wants to put in an evidence based judicial process to remove constitutional rights, that's one thing; letting the president just take away constitutional rights by fiat, with no due process, is another.

Because like it or not the 2nd is in the Constitution and if it can be voided by fiat, without due process, then so can any other constitutional right.

I really don't like the idea if using the no fly list as a positive example of good policy.

The broader point there is that there isn't the massive pushback against things like the no-fly list that there is when it comes to guns. Which ultimately is a negative thing, that there's a great deal of support for absolutist interpretations of the 2nd but not any of the other amendments. It says a lot about how a substantial portion of the population values things.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

WampaLord posted:

Bullshit he did. Fox News and the usual right wing sources might have claimed that, but the overwhelming takeaway was that Ryan got beaten badly.

Wrong. While CBS did, in fact, claim Biden won, CNN called it a tie, with Ryan ahead.

The best you can say is that results were inconclusive, almost as if opinions were baked in and resembled the nearly tied opinion of the broader American public.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Wrong. While CBS did, in fact, claim Biden won, CNN called it a tie, with Ryan ahead.

The best you can say is that results were inconclusive, almost as if opinions were baked in and resembled the nearly tied opinion of the broader American public.

Those were viewer polls, not really relevant when discussing the news narrative.

NY times - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/us/politics/biden-takes-off-gloves-in-vice-presidential-debate.html?_r=0

Slate - http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/10/vp_debate_foreign_policy_joe_biden_mopped_the_floor_with_paul_ryan.html

Plenty of places were saying that Biden kicked Ryan's rear end.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

The broader point there is that there isn't the massive pushback against things like the no-fly list that there is when it comes to guns. Which ultimately is a negative thing, that there's a great deal of support for absolutist interpretations of the 2nd but not any of the other amendments. It says a lot about how a substantial portion of the population values things.

Absolutist? I appreciate wanting to slow or stop gun violence, i really do, i support expanding background checks wholeheartedly, but reading a legal document as it is written in black and white should not be called absolutist, no matter how sad you are about dead children. If you want to change the interpretation of this specific right you need to change the words, because "The rights of the people [...] shall not be infringed" is pretty drat cut and dry. "Shall not be" is a loaded phrase in legalese, it means things that 'Will not' or "should not" do not.

Cut the crap and start work on repealing the second amendment, instead of this wishy washy "This is an old document" or "A milita doesnt mean "Armed civilian force" half-measure.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 3, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MattD1zzl3 posted:

[R]eading a legal document as it is written in black and white should not be called absolutist, no matter how sad you are about dead children.

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of absolutist, dude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Cut the crap and start work on repealing the second amendment, instead of this wishy washy "This is an old document" or "A milita doesnt mean "Armed civilian force" half-measure.

I'm fer it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"The rights of the people [...] shall not be infringed"

I really like how you had to ellipsis out the stuff that might give any nuance to the 2nd amendment in your spiel about reading a document in black and white.

"Well-regulated? What does that mean?"

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Media sources with partisan leanings declare their preferred candidate wins the debate. Every media source has partisan leanings.

You saw more "Biden won" than "Ryan won" because you select sources you agree with. You're aware of poo poo like FOX because it's a big blaring bag of poo poo that can't be ignored if you pay attention to American Politics, but you're probably not going to bother paying attention to The Daily Caller, Breitbart, etc.

Debates really don't matter at all in Presidential elections (and veep debates matter even less). Short of Trump literally making GBS threads himself on stage or Hillary going "I did Benghazi. Whatever you think Benghazi was, I totally did it," a Trump/Hillary debate isn't going to change anything.

Won't stop a million breathless articles and news segments from being created, obviously, but there really are no "winners" or "losers" in debates when it comes to outcomes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I really like how you had to ellipsis out the stuff that might give any nuance to the 2nd amendment in your spiel about reading a document in black and white.

It's weird how that part never makes it onto bumper stickers.

FairGame posted:

Won't stop a million breathless articles and news segments from being created, obviously, but there really are no "winners" or "losers" in debates when it comes to outcomes.

While I agree that winners are completely subjective based on who people support, you absolutely can lose a debate. Basically they aren't a discussion of policies as much as a test of if you can talk about issues for 20 minutes without completely torpedoing your campaign.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Absolutist? I appreciate wanting to slow or stop gun violence, i really do, i support expanding background checks wholeheartedly, but reading a legal document as it is written in black and white should not be called absolutist, no matter how sad you are about dead children. If you want to change the interpretation of this specific right you need to change the words, because "The rights of the people [...] shall not be infringed" is pretty drat cut and dry. "Shall not be" is a loaded phrase in legalese, it means things that 'Will not' or "should not" do not.

Actually, I'm in favor of a political compromise, like every single other country on Earth, where hunters and sport shooters can do what they do but the kind of people who write posts like these are disarmed, honky.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Brainiac Five posted:

If a couple more orders of magnitude of people were directly affected by the no-fly list and what bullshit it is, it would probably get a lot more pushback. As it is, most people don't meaningfully encounter it whether they know it's there or not.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy poo poo.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/282104-sanders-could-skydive-into-california-rally

quote:

Bernie Sanders could make quite the entrance at his rally Friday in Cloverdale, Calif.

Jimmy Halliday, the president at NorCal Skydiving, said he was told by Sanders staffers Thursday that they would offer the Democratic presidential candidate the option of parachuting into his rally, according to The Press Democrat.

“I’ve been told they will run the idea by Bernie,” Halliday said. “I can’t confirm that’s the plan. I know that’s a possibility.”
Halliday said a staffer for Sanders on Wednesday asked about the use of his facility. On Thursday, Halliday did a tandem jump with a Sanders campaign team member.

Michael Morrissey, the manager of the Cloverdale airport where the Sanders rally will take place, said the Vermont Senator is “supposed to make a grand entrance” but didn’t clarify how.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

zoux posted:

While I agree that winners are completely subjective based on who people support, you absolutely can lose a debate. Basically they aren't a discussion of policies as much as a test of if you can talk about issues for 20 minutes without completely torpedoing your campaign.

Sure, you can lose. But the bar for losing is insanely low. Palin and Ryan (especially the former, who wasn't even forming coherent sentences to support nonsensical policies) both got worked, but neither of them "lost" in any meaningful sense.

And if Sarah Palin 2008 "credibly" talked about issues for a while, it'd literally take a complete pants-making GBS threads meltdown to get below that bar.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Killer robot posted:

If a couple more orders of magnitude of people were directly affected by the no-fly list and what bullshit it is, it would probably get a lot more pushback. As it is, most people don't meaningfully encounter it whether they know it's there or not.

People are directly affected by the TSA bureaucracy which is necessary to support the no-fly list, though.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

WampaLord posted:

quote:

reg·u·late
ˈreɡyəˌlāt/
verb

[*]control or maintain the rate or speed of (a machine or process) so that it operates properly.

[*]control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations.

Sounds like something the government does now and has done for centuries. "No you cant have a cannon, No you cant have a fighter jet, no you cant have a guided missile, by "arms" we assume they meant personal weapons that you can carry". So this could be re-worded in more modern language as "The right of the people to own guns must be supervised and regulated by the government (at least 4 government agencies do this now), but can never be taken away while this amendment is a thing", right? Thats not too absolutist?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Ahem, Webster's dictionary defines liberty as," began the extremely good and smart political thinker.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sounds like something the government does now and has done for centuries. "No you cant have a cannon, No you cant have a fighter jet, no you cant have a guided missile, by "arms" we assume they meant personal weapons that you can carry". So this could be re-worded in more modern language as "The right of the people to own guns must be supervised and regulated by the government (it is), but can never be taken away while this amendment is a thing", right? Thats not too absolutist?

Okay, fine, people can own air-guns and black-powder arquebuses, then. :)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not as good as arriving with a twirl in a backless dress, but still a good way to make a splash.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So do we have any hard data on whether debate gaffes and the like have affects on polling or not? And not polling on who 'won' the debate, polling that shows whether support for candidates has changed in the aftermath of a debate?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

So do we have any hard data on whether debate gaffes and the like have affects on polling or not? And not polling on who 'won' the debate, polling that shows whether support for candidates has changed in the aftermath of a debate?

I can think of three, "There you go again", "Read my lips" and, uh, uhm......

Dick Morris is finally home everyone.
https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/738757289142816768

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If Hillary really want the Bernie base why not just have him as VP? Or Biden again. Forever Biden.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Don't forget "proceed governor"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I prefer to read it as "[...] [...] [...]"

Much more concise.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay, fine, people can own air-guns and black-powder arquebuses, then. :)

"Arabs should lose rights first" --Effectronica

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

"Arabs should lose rights first" --Effectronica

If people don't want lawyering, they shouldn't lawyer.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If Hillary really want the Bernie base why not just have him as VP? Or Biden again. Forever Biden.

Bernie isn't a good fit as Hillary's VP, and I doubt that he would agree to it.

And Biden's ready to retire.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

smg77 posted:

I don't understand why you guys keep talking about all these random VP picks. Joe Biden is the vice president.

Joe Biden will always be the vice president.

Turns out both Hillary and Trump announce Biden as their running mate.

Hypothetical question, cuz I know it is a thing that will never happen, but is it possible for two candidates to pick the same running mate?

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 3, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

This reeks of desperation, holy gently caress.

It's not a bad idea, it'll get some news and cool points, but :lol:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MariusLecter posted:

I prefer to read it as "[...] [...] [...]"

Much more concise.
My favorite reading is "The [...] people [...] shall [...] be infringed" :tinfoil:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

zoux posted:

For some reason, I feel that the Enquirer got the poo poo end of the stick on that deal.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Boon posted:

This reeks of desperation, holy gently caress.

It's not a bad idea, it'll get some news and cool points, but :lol:

I'd switch my vote in the general if he does it while eating a burrito and taking a selfie.

Bonus points if you get this reference.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's funny because Biden is basically everything people hate about Clinton except a man. Biden has even been caught lying multiple times, is tough on crime, and in no meaningful way is left of Obama.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Trabisnikof posted:

It's funny because Biden is basically everything people hate about Clinton except a man. Biden has even been caught lying multiple times, is tough on crime, and in no meaningful way is left of Obama.

It's amazing that being a male and not being the focus of a 20+ year hit job by the Right, allows you more leeway and ability to have fun and joke around with the media.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

First Amendment posted:

Congress shall make no law respecting [...] the freedom [...] of the people

Oh poo poo, the Bill of Rights mandates 1984 and we've been reading it wrong all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Biden is the most likable person in Washington, and possibly the most likable person on the East Coast. Being a genial, affable dude who knows how to talk to people counts for an awful lot.

• Locked thread