Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Why are people saying Perez is more qualified than Castro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Because we want the backup to be a commie

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The important question about Perez is, how does he say his last name? If he doesn't hit the (r) like a (d) sound then I'd vote Trump :mad:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I mean, yeah I hosed up.

I was never let's go to a klan rally and lynch some dudes racist but more like a let's tell jokes at the expense of (insert minority group here), and using slurs of those groups as insults.

Once in college I realized that wasn't really accepted in the world. I met people who shattered the views I had.

The biggest thing is I decided I was tired of carrying around hate and anger when there was no reason to. It's much easier to live just taking people as they are and judging on individual merits.

This was nice to read. I hope you find a better job.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
violence:speech::money:speech

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

violence:speech::money:speech

By the transitive property, money is violence.

Also it's June, are we getting are avatars back? Or at least get yoda some lube? I'm starting to chafe.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

By the transitive property, money is violence.

It works on a lot of levels

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Anyone else catch that Obama townhall on PBS? Some gun shop owner asked him why he wants to take all the guns and Obama was finally sick and tired of it:

quote:

First of all, the notion that I or Hillary or Democrats or whoever you want to choose are hell-bent on taking away folks’ guns is just not true.

And I don’t care how many times the NRA says it. I’m about to leave office. There have been more guns sold since I have been president than just about any time in U.S. history. There are enough guns for every man, woman and child in this country.

And at no point have I ever, ever proposed confiscating guns from responsible gun owners. So it’s just not true.

What I have said is precisely what you suggested, which is, why don’t we treat this like every other thing that we use? I just came from a meeting today in the Situation Room in which I got people who we know have been on ISIL Web sites, living here in the United States, U.S. citizens, and we’re allowed to put them on the no-fly list when it comes to airlines, but because of the National Rifle Association, I cannot prohibit those people from buying a gun.

This is somebody who is a known ISIL sympathizer. And if he wants to walk in to a gun store or a gun show right now and buy as much — as many weapons and ammo as he can, nothing’s prohibiting him from doing that, even though the FBI knows who that person is.

So, sir, I just have to say, respectfully, that there is a way for us to have commonsense gun laws. There is a way for us to make sure that lawful, responsible gun owners like yourself are able to use them for sporting, hunting, protecting yourself, but the only way we’re going to do that is if we don’t have a situation in which anything that is proposed is viewed as some tyrannical destruction of the Second Amendment. And that’s how the issue too often gets framed.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/obama-to-gun-owners-im-not-looking-to-disarm-you/

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Trabisnikof posted:

Anyone else catch that Obama townhall on PBS? Some gun shop owner asked him why he wants to take all the guns and Obama was finally sick and tired of it:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/obama-to-gun-owners-im-not-looking-to-disarm-you/

The moment that guy said "common sense" I knew he was an idiot.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

One of the more pertinent thing about gun shop owners in northern Indiana is that they're also going to be against common sense laws to prevent guns from ending up in the hands of criminals or, well especially, anything preventing them from easily crossing state lines

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I cant help but smirk every time Hillary talks about how unsafe America would be Donald Trump's hands. His tiny baby hands. I hope she keeps doing it until he snaps.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I don't understand why you guys keep talking about all these random VP picks. Joe Biden is the vice president.

Joe Biden will always be the vice president.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Deadly Ham Sandwich just wear skirts man. I like your thinking. Everyone should just wear skirts all the time.

Skirts are superior to shorts and pants in every conceivable way.

You could even start with kilts and then just throw in regular skirts like I do and no one will care*

*ymmv at your workplace

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FAUXTON posted:

What are his risks?

Mostly that we've never seen him under intense media scrutiny and don't know if he can take the heat. Sure he plays well now but after three months of constant lovely attacks from the right can easily make most mortal men go a bit nuts. A presidential campaign is super high stress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Necc0 posted:

Mostly that we've never seen him under intense media scrutiny and don't know if he can take the heat. Sure he plays well now but after three months of constant lovely attacks from the right can easily make most mortal men go a bit nuts. A presidential campaign is super high stress.

Isn't that a risk that applies to virtually every person on the VP shortlist, though? That sort of mitigates it since she has to choose someone.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

she could draft bill for maximum "but but but clinton dynasty" republican tears :getin:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

she could draft bill for maximum "but but but clinton dynasty" republican tears :getin:

Pretty sure veep has to be eligible to be President, which Bill isn't what with having served two terms.

Though candidates DON'T have to be from different states, which is what I was taught in my lovely Missouri education and didn't get corrected until I watched House of Cards. What I'm saying is that a lovely dumb Kevin Spacey monologue vehicle is better than a public school education In Missouri.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

boom boom boom posted:

Who would be a good pick for Sander's VP?

DWS for party unity.

Trabisnikof posted:

Because DoL is better than HUD, duh.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 3, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

The problem with this is the no-fly list is an extra-judicial process. If the president wants to put in an evidence based judicial process to remove constitutional rights, that's one thing; letting the president just take away constitutional rights by fiat, with no due process, is another.

Because like it or not the 2nd is in the Constitution and if it can be voided by fiat, without due process, then so can any other constitutional right.

I really don't like the idea if using the no fly list as a positive example of good policy.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I wouldn't be so sure Hillary butchering Trump in a debate would mean anything. If memory serves, the people who would be voting for him will just ignore it or even make up a new reality where Trump did all the owning. If anything, the media turning on Trump will just confirm the ancient "liberal-media" meme that's always thrown around.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

FairGame posted:

Pretty sure veep has to be eligible to be President, which Bill isn't what with having served two terms.

Though candidates DON'T have to be from different states, which is what I was taught in my lovely Missouri education and didn't get corrected until I watched House of Cards. What I'm saying is that a lovely dumb Kevin Spacey monologue vehicle is better than a public school education In Missouri.
Electors in the electoral college can't vote for both president and vice president who are both from the same state as them. If the election is close enough that the electors from the president's/VP's state makes the difference in who wins the VP position, it could be an issue. It's why Cheney switched to being a resident of Wyoming from Texas in 2000.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Nosfereefer posted:

I wouldn't be so sure Hillary butchering Trump in a debate would mean anything. If memory serves, the people who would be voting for him will just ignore it or even make up a new reality where Trump did all the owning. If anything, the media turning on Trump will just confirm the ancient "liberal-media" meme that's always thrown around.

You're talking about his base there. And sure, the people worshipping him won't be deterred. But this stuff's on a spectrum, and while there are plenty of people who will reject anything that makes Trump look bad, there are people who are hesitant about backing him and/or value certain things--national security, economic stability--above Trump. That should have been made clear by the NeverTrumps, and the number of people dragging their feet to support him. Those are whom the debates would be targeting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nosfereefer posted:

They'll believe in the Liberal-media anyway, what's important is that the people that have profited from that meme being viewed as the same liberal media like anytime a blogger or a fox talking head goes never trump. My work breakroom TV had O'Reliy ranting about Trump being a dumbass and the younger idiots in suits circling around him to say 'b-b-b-but 90% of the media is liberal" trying to backwards talk any argument against the politician as media spun lies. What matters is who slips through the right's cracks as it keeps trying to make their big tent moron look good.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

You're talking about his base there. And sure, the people worshipping him won't be deterred. But this stuff's on a spectrum, and while there are plenty of people who will reject anything that makes Trump look bad, there are people who are hesitant about backing him and/or value certain things--national security, economic stability--above Trump. That should have been made clear by the NeverTrumps, and the number of people dragging their feet to support him. Those are whom the debates would be targeting.

There are some broken, sad husks of human beings who actually watch the debates, some of us even post here in this thread, but to a large portion of the population it's the subsequent narrative that matters. If Trump can be outrageous enough in the actual debate, then tweet suitably diplomatically afterwards, he'll get a wet, slobbering blow job from at least CNN and Fox, and that's what most people are going to hear and remember.

I'm not saying that's good enough to win, but in this bubble of politics nerds it's good to remember how much the content of the message versus the messaging matters.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Nosfereefer posted:

Hillary is a fundamentally different candidate than anyone that Trump has faced before.

The GOP message is successful because "we'll bring those jobs back!" is more viscerally appealing to those unemployed in mining and manufacturing than "those jobs are gone, here's why, and this is what we'll do to help you get different jobs." But that's not a winning message in a national GE. Hillary won the primary and Paul Ryan's a laughingstock because as much as we whinge about Idiocracy-people reject 5% growth and magic asterisks.

That Trump's platform consists solely of empty rhetoric didn't matter in the primary because GOP primary voters have been conditioned to give zero fucks, and because there was nobody on the stage who had any substance with which to counter. A competent campaign could quickly generate policy for Trump by dusting off GOP draft legislation from 2006... but Trump doesn't have one of those.

Xanderkish posted:

The GOP base, as presently constructed, is disaffected white men, white women, and the managerial class (overwhelmingly white men).

Trump is manna from heaven for the first group, a cartoonish disaster for the second, and every bloviating boss and coworker they've ever hated for the third.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nosfereefer posted:

It's not about getting people to switch their votes or winning the phantom undecideds but rather motivating your side and demotivating your opponents side.

Turnout is the battlefield.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

This would only apply to his base. His base can't win him the election. Getting clowned on for the next several months, including at the debates, would probably get a whole lot of his soft support to sit this one out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

We haven't seen a real Trump debate yet. None of the guys before could actually fight him since they all basically agreed with his lovely opinions but couldn't say it as openly. Additionally Trump was correct, they were a bunch of losers and dorks that the media in general was too polite to point out. Making fun of them couldn't have been easier and no one was expecting it because we had to pretend Scott Walker wasn't a cretinous goober, at least initially. There was also people like Christie to jump on the grenade for Trump and that will not be there in a 1v1. Lastly the other guys were always pulling punches because they didn't want to go too hard on the guy that might end up being the nominee (Trump didn't give a poo poo). Hillary has none of these problems.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Trabisnikof posted:

Well I don't know if he's more qualified or not -- I think it depends on how you view 'qualified.'

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Rappaport posted:

There are some broken, sad husks of human beings who actually watch the debates, some of us even post here in this thread, but to a large portion of the population it's the subsequent narrative that matters. If Trump can be outrageous enough in the actual debate, then tweet suitably diplomatically afterwards, he'll get a wet, slobbering blow job from at least CNN and Fox, and that's what most people are going to hear and remember.

I'm not saying that's good enough to win, but in this bubble of politics nerds it's good to remember how much the content of the message versus the messaging matters.

70 million people watched the first Obama/Romney debate. That's more than half the total number of votes cast in the election and doesn't include people who might have watched it later on YouTube.

The media narrative coming out of the debate will matter but you're insane if you think a whole hell of a lot of people aren't going to tune in for the Clinton/Trump brawl.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nosfereefer posted:

The people you're describing are a minority of voters.

If Trump only plays to them he loses by a huge margin.

So it matters a lot if Hillary can make him look like a clown, because if she wins over everyone but the hard-core fringe right she will win really big.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If the Republican primary debates are any indication the actual debates should have record breaking numbers. Trump draws really big ratings so I won't be surprised if the debates are watched by 100+ million people.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Lol

Hollismason posted:

If the Republican primary debates are any indication the actual debates should have record breaking numbers. Trump draws really big ratings so I won't be surprised if the debates are watched by 100+ million people.

Lol no

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

How are u posted:

Tom Perez has a really bad hairline, and thus will not be picked for VP nor would be be able to run for President.

100% serious.

That was my thought as well as shallow as it is. In the dashingly handsome department, Castro has him beat.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rappaport posted:

This happened when Palin got destroyed in debates.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

How are u posted:

Tom Perez has a really bad hairline, and thus will not be picked for VP nor would be be able to run for President.

100% serious.

on the other hand, nothing matters

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Joe Biden had to hold back because it would look bad for him to go all out on attacking a woman. Palin vomited word salad for an hour and a half without having a stroke, so she "beat expectations."

The narrative after the Biden/Ryan debate was "Holy gently caress, Ryan got schooled."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doctor Butts posted:

Well that's because Joe Biden was figuratively debating with both hands tied behind his back in order to not come off as menacing against a woman who was way out of her depth.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Joe Biden had to hold back because it would look bad for him to go all out on attacking a woman. Palin vomited word salad for an hour and a half without having a stroke, so she "beat expectations."

The narrative after the Biden/Ryan debate was "Holy gently caress, Ryan got schooled."

Yeah the attempt at creating the narrative that Biden was so mean to Ryan (lol debate safe spaces, etc) and also too jokey didn't catch on with anyone that wasn't already in the GOP tank. It was an obvious stomping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

quote:

What I have said is precisely what you suggested, which is, why don’t we treat this like every other thing that we use? I just came from a meeting today in the Situation Room in which I got people who we know have been on ISIL Web sites, living here in the United States, U.S. citizens, and we’re allowed to put them on the no-fly list when it comes to airlines, but because of the National Rifle Association, I cannot prohibit those people from buying a gun.

While we're banning hate speech and taking away the constitutional rights of not-charged, not convicted arab US Citizens because of a law enforcement watch list, why not ignore their 13th amendment rights as well and force them into indentured servitude. That'll show them.

Or you know, charge them with a felony for crimes they actually commit and accomplish the exact same thing (Until that becomes the next big "Civil rights issue" and they allow felons to vote and have weapons. I give it 3 years)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread