Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

exquisite tea posted:

Torb is honestly fine for most QM payloads now because he's still good for a few guaranteed kills from people who just haphazardly trickle right into his turret and feed his rather good ult every 10 seconds.

Torb is hilarious because he's fairly good on his own and people don't quite expect to get downed in a single meatshot when sneaking up on you or get hit for a 140 headshot when they're standing still at long range trying to whittle down your turret.

It's almost like every character is really strong, enough that anyone who's never played an FPS can get some "holy poo poo" moments and FPS veterans can get their own "holy poo poo" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

fadam posted:

Is it true Riot banned people for saying GGEZ?

That sounds like something that could happen. League has a weird ban system. Players vote on reports before Riot makes the call, I think.

What he said:

Mierenneuker posted:

They used to have a Tribunal feature where people could decide whether someone who had been reported several times had to be punished based on chatlogs and some stats from the match they came from. Riot found out that people overwhelmingly punished people who'd say "easy" after a game. It was a similar case for racism and homophobia (an illusive club to be part of!)

Odds are that they did give out suspensions for people who said "easy" after a game a ton of times. Bans on the other hand? That doesn't seem likely unless you had been repeatedly punished for doing the same thing over and over again and never learned your lesson.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Did somebody say Around The Corner Roadhog Hooks??

https://fat.gfycat.com/CrispAliveEchidna.webm

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

They used to have a Tribunal feature where people could decide whether someone who had been reported several times had to be punished based on chatlogs and some stats from the match they came from (but at of the day Riot still made the decision). Riot found out that people overwhelmingly punished people who'd say "easy" after a game. It was a similar case for racism and homophobia (an illusive club to be part of!)

Odds are that they did give out suspensions for people who said "easy" after a game a ton of times. Bans on the other hand? That doesn't seem likely unless you had been repeatedly punished for doing the same thing over and over again and never learned your lesson.

Reporting someone for saying "ggez" or "easy game" should permanently ban your account.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ggez is the new N-word.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's almost like every character is really strong, enough that anyone who's never played an FPS can get some "holy poo poo" moments and FPS veterans can get their own "holy poo poo" moments.

Except certain characters are much more strong, and since strength is relative in a video game, they're not all strong.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
pretty happy with this POTG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSItGGla_ag

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Team rocket blasting off again.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Cicadalek posted:

Did somebody say Around The Corner Roadhog Hooks??

https://fat.gfycat.com/CrispAliveEchidna.webm

always funny when a mcree is on the receiving end

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Widowmaker is named Black Lily in China. That rules.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love Zarya but I'd love her a lot more if her shields lasted 4 seconds instead of 2. Keep them at 200 block, same cooldown and everything. Just make it a tiny bit easier to actually use it without having to have *perfect* timing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Someone Awful! posted:

thanks for the reinhardt tips! i think a lot of the problems i've been having has been team comps + playing with pubbies who are too dumb to stand behind the rectangle. i rarely play him when i'm rolling with goons cause there's always someone who's actually good with him and it's a lot of pressure :sweatdrop:

I find Mercy to be the most fun healer because I enjoy her mobility of being able to zoom all over the place, but I like that all the healers are good for different things! Zenyatta is also enjoyable but his relative lack of mobility compared to Lucio + Mercy and his baby HP leave me less inclined to play him with pubs. sometimes I try him when I'm rolling with goons and he plays really effectively though!

If you want to get a feel for how to play Rein, watch RenbotOW on twitch for a bit. It will give you a really good sense of when to drop shield, when to retreat, when to charge, when to ult. Those are really the areas that distinguish a good Rein from a bad. Also someone said don't flank with him, but there are definitely circumstances when he can be an effective flanker and catching most characters in a small side room with your hammer is a fight you'll usually win.

If your shield gets down to about 500 health, back off and let it regenerate. Corner peak with fire strike while it regenerates, or go grab a health pack (this is a good time to find squishies on the flank!).

I actually find that Rein is one of the easiest characters to carry pubs with even if your offensive party members suck. If no enemy bastion, use shield and fire strike to close distance, them hammer and charge away. If enemy bastion, then flank cause you're not going to close that distance. Enemy roadhogs are not really worth engaging unless you can hit them with fire strike and a charge before starting to hammer them

Papercut fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 3, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Imagined posted:

I love Zarya but I'd love her a lot more if her shields lasted 4 seconds instead of 2. Keep them at 200 block, same cooldown and everything. Just make it a tiny bit easier to actually use it without having to have *perfect* timing.

That would be insanely OP considering that the way you're supposed to deal with Zarya shields is to wait for them to go away. You'd either have to wait 4 seconds, in which case whoever was shielded would shoot you because 4 seconds in an FPS might as well be forever, or shoot through the shield and watch in horror as Zarya microwaves your entire team.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Imagined posted:

FuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUuuuck no.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

If you want to get a feel for how to play Rein, watch RenbotOW on twitch for a bit. It will give you a really good sense of when to drop shield, when to retreat, when to charge, when to ult. Those are really the areas that distinguish a good Rein from a bad. Also someone said don't flank with him, but there are definitely circumstances when he can be an effective flanker and catching most characters in a small side room with your hammer is a fight you'll usually win.

If your shield gets down to about 500 health, back off and let it regenerate. Corner peak with fire strike while it regenerates, or go grab a health pack (this is a good time to find squishies on the flank!).

I actually find that Rein is one of the easiest characters to carry pubs with even if your offensive party members suck. If no enemy bastion, use shield and fire strike to close distance, them hammer and charge away. If enemy bastion, then flank cause you're not going to close that distance. Enemy roadhogs are not really worth engaging unless you can hit them with fire strike and a charge before starting to hammer them

RenbotOW is also doing an AMA today on r/competitiveoverwatch so there will be more tips there.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

cock hero flux posted:

That would be insanely OP considering that the way you're supposed to deal with Zarya shields is to wait for them to go away. You'd either have to wait 4 seconds, in which case whoever was shielded would shoot you because 4 seconds in an FPS might as well be forever, or shoot through the shield and watch in horror as Zarya microwaves your entire team.

Why not compensate for halved or even lower charge for a wider timing window? Not favoring the idea one way or the other, but whether a longer duration could be balanced to begin with.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah Zarya's shields are in a good place right now I think. It takes some real getting used to (I'd say she has one of the sharper learning curves of any hero I've tried so far) but you start to watch for those moments where a shield can get your teammate out of taking fatal damage. It helps that certain attacks can give you max charge (50% per shield) with one hit.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been having lots of issues with Hanzo and Roadhog this week. I keep dying to Hanzo and when the game shows me know third person dying the arrow that killed me is regularly floating a foot or two off my character model. I'm getting weary of dying to arrows that are not hitting me. With Roadhog I have two problems. Sometimes my hook pulls people through me and deposits them behind me. Not good. Other times I get blasted in the face by whoever hooked the moment they get to me. Doesn't matter if Km holding M1 while the hook reels them in or not, I'm getting killed often to that.

None of this was happening in the first week. I've only been noticing it since Monday or Tuesday of this week. Did a mini patch break something?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Zarya seems to be straight up one of the better heroes, and yeah it's the learning curve that really seems to put off anyone playing her TBH which is pretty depressing. She does need a couple of buffs (either that or just the current top tier is a little to good), so maybe her energy charge could degrade 20% slower or something?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Call me crazy but the rumors that the next hero is a "Support Sniper" don't exactly fill me with much enthusiasm. The last thing this game needs is another sniper.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Harlock posted:

Call me crazy but the rumors that the next hero is a "Support Sniper" don't exactly fill me with much enthusiasm. The last thing this game needs is another sniper.

Seems weird since Zenyatta is a pretty good support sniper (or backliner) from my experience. I've also bagged a surprising number of idiot Tracers who think I'm some freebie.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harlock posted:

People are misinterpreting it, she stands next to widowmaker and cheers her on

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Someone said "gg 122 ez" after a match and I can't figure out what 122 is?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Harlock posted:

:psyduck: Where have you heard this? How will they make a sniper who is a support? Healing arrows or something? Hanzo and Widowmaker both give plenty of support with their wallhack abilities.

Also Torb is totally already a sniper, except he can also handle himself up close.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Blizzards next character should be Reapers long lost brother who supports his team with friendly shotguns. His special can be Life's Blossum in which he sound around d firing while yelling "live live live"

That or a support character that is fun to play like Reaper and McCree so that people can play a character like that that helps their team.

drat I hate McCree'ers and Reaper'ers.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Solumin posted:

:psyduck: Where have you heard this? How will they make a sniper who is a support? Healing arrows or something? Hanzo and Widowmaker both give plenty of support with their wallhack abilities.

Also Torb is totally already a sniper, except he can also handle himself up close.
All the new hero "rumors" just keep regurgitating the phrase of support sniper - if they're well founded or not.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Someone said "gg 122 ez" after a match and I can't figure out what 122 is?

maybe it's just supposed to be 2 but he gave up on correcting himself halfway

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I can see that I guess. It's just that if 4 seconds is 'forever' then 2 seconds feels like the blink of an eye. Like if you pop the shield BEFORE you're already being shot you've wasted it, which I guess is the trick to learning to play her properly, but just doesn't feel right. You shield someone and she says "Get in there!" but really if they're not ALREADY "in there" then the shield is gone.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The only real reason I don't play Zarya a lot is because I play a lot of pubs and her ultimate relies a lot on others to capitalize on it which pubs never seem to do for me.

Other than that I think she's pretty easy to use?

step 1: shield yourself whenever someone shoots at you
step 2: shield your mates whenever they are in danger
step 3: laser anything close to you or lob your AoE balls at targets far away

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/738468561245638657

maybe soon they can afford 64 tick servers

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah if Zenyatta isn't already the 'support sniper' then I don't know what he's supposed to be

they need to make someone that can realistically replace mercy/lucio in teams if they're going to make more supports, that's the biggest bottleneck of the hero roster right now.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah if Zenyatta isn't already the 'support sniper' then I don't know what he's supposed to be

they need to make someone that can realistically replace mercy/lucio in teams if they're going to make more supports, that's the biggest bottleneck of the hero roster right now.

i'd like an indirect support that drops health packs, climbing ropes and ziplines around the map

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

widowmaker should do 50 damage max on bodyshots, ideally to herself

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been having lots of issues with Hanzo and Roadhog this week. I keep dying to Hanzo and when the game shows me know third person dying the arrow that killed me is regularly floating a foot or two off my character model. I'm getting weary of dying to arrows that are not hitting me. With Roadhog I have two problems. Sometimes my hook pulls people through me and deposits them behind me. Not good. Other times I get blasted in the face by whoever hooked the moment they get to me. Doesn't matter if Km holding M1 while the hook reels them in or not, I'm getting killed often to that.

None of this was happening in the first week. I've only been noticing it since Monday or Tuesday of this week. Did a mini patch break something?

What's your ping?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

things that should be deleted from the game: the hitscan sniper class, the discordant orb, the ninja champion,

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

maybe they should remove the charge mechanic entirely because it's just not that fun to go from full hp to 0 because widowmaker clicked your head from the other side of the map

edit: don't remove the ninja

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Don't remove any characters, don't nerf characters into uselessness, don't balance the game for people who refuse to learn to counter stuff that kills them. Thanks in advance, Blizzard.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the counterplay to over half of the mechanics of this game are 'hide until it goes away' and that is not ok. hire me bilzord.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Remove McCree + add all the TF2 guys so people can stop comparing to the two games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Wangsbig posted:

the counterplay to over half of the mechanics of this game are 'hide until it goes away' and that is not ok. hire me bilzord.

Wrong. It's McCree.