Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

kidney or pinto beans in chili is drat delicious

I use black beans.
I also use ground turkey.

Sorry not sorry!

But really, what the hell? My mother's a Texan and has always put beans in her chili.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm this may have more legs than I thought:
https://twitter.com/brianmrosenthal/status/738738633469874176

Don't start jacking off over the thought of Abbott going to jail but do stroke your chin thoughtfully and do a weighty "hmmmmm" about it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

mmmhmmm

sorry you can't handle the truth

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

I moved here from Cali and know a lot of others who did, and none of them have ever said this. They think Torchy's is tasty for sure but also understand it's very Americanized.

Keep in mind Cali also has really good (actually authentic) Mexican food, despite Texan beliefs that the only (actually authentic) Mexican food in the US is in Texas.

The fact that you think Mexican food and Tex-Mex are interchangable really shows how little you know about (actually authentic) mexican food.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bushiz posted:

The fact that you think Mexican food and Tex-Mex are interchangable really shows how little you know about (actually authentic) mexican food.

Don't even bother trying to explain authenticity to a Cali transplant, they're the reason Torchy's won the best taco contest.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bushiz posted:

I didn't say that but OK...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Look out! The Torchy's is coming from inside Austin!!!! :supaburn:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dunno how I feel about the coffee and chocolate in principle but it sure turns out great

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/02/more-precise-texas-chili-recipe.html?m=1

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you don't buy tacos from a parking lot or a gas station just get the gently caress out

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I step out of my front door, walk toward the street, and stop about two paces away. I hold my hands up to my mouth and shout "Carne!" into the sky as loudly as I can. Within seconds, a man carrying a dripping fistful of meat emerges. From where, I could not say. I tell him my name, and he places the meat in my cupped hands. The debt is remembered, and I am expected to supply the tortilla.

That, friends. That is authentic Mexican food.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Foodchat is tearing this family apart! (and making me hungry)

V Taco Taco is for bougie white people from alamo heights, go to Las Salsas a couple blocks down on San Pedro or Taqueria Chapala Jalisco on McCullough

karlor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 3, 2016

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you don't buy tacos from a parking lot or a gas station just get the gently caress out

Gas station adjacent counts too

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-tacos-morales-eagle-pass-2

or Get Out.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Prices on the menu being computer paper taped over the menu sign is an excellent indicator of quality tacos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The sketchier the place, the better the tacos. If there ain't bars on the windows keep driving.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we're all Texans so i don't think i'll catch too much poo poo, but when one crosses into mexico the tacos really go downhill

thin tortillas, poor quality meat, no veggies and an over-reliance on pork. i love coahuila and could retire there but the food really needs some work. gringas are the worst, tamales and chilaquiles are still good but better elsewhere

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aliquid posted:

we're all Texans so i don't think i'll catch too much poo poo, but when one crosses into mexico the tacos really go downhill

thin tortillas, poor quality meat, no veggies and an over-reliance on pork. i love coahuila and could retire there but the food really needs some work. gringas are the worst, tamales and chilaquiles are still good but better elsewhere

Go back to California.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Morales has a yelp page now? loving sell outs. Funny to see Eagle Pass pop up on here. Texas Monthly once declared it the most corrupt city in Texas. I'm glad all my family ties moved or died and I don't ever have to make that drive again to that hell hole

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't like authentic tacos.

Authentic burritos, though

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Morales has a yelp page now? loving sell outs. Funny to see Eagle Pass pop up on here. Texas Monthly once declared it the most corrupt city in Texas. I'm glad all my family ties moved or died and I don't ever have to make that drive again to that hell hole

Crystal seems to have beat us out in corruption, all we had were county commissioners taking bribes, kickbacks and bid rigging. loving spinach gobblers really showed us up.

e; one of my aunts is going back home to Colorado next week, wish I could go with her. :(

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Aliquid posted:

Al pastor is godlike :frogout:

Also, here's a good place for you tourist who like to go to the stockyards. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.789958,-97.3621208,3a,75y,180.12h,85.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAtDyNzEiGP7nXZYtIa1_cQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
If you can't buy loteria candles from the same place you're buying tacos, then get out of tx

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Go back to california. Im visiting california amd it sucks. gently caress claofornia. Wpw real poo poo, gently caress off california fucks. Theyre gay ahd lovely, not me. Go rockets! Baylor bitch

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

anne frank fanfic posted:

Go back to california. Im visiting california amd it sucks. gently caress claofornia. Wpw real poo poo, gently caress off california fucks. Theyre gay ahd lovely, not me. Go rockets! Baylor bitch

Poor fundamentals, low energy, no style 1/10.

Come on, you're usually better than that.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

how many of y'all are white

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Probably just you.

Sorry for your lots.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm Spanish, which I think counts as "white dude with a bit of a tan".

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Probably just you.

Sorry for your lots.
I'm actually Vietnamese and this entire conversation just reminds me of white people from Southern California (where I lived until age 10) and Houston (parts of middle and high school until college) that love their thinly-veiled bragging about all the Vietnamese food they've tried and which region of the country has better pho

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm actually Vietnamese and this entire conversation just reminds me of white people from Southern California (where I lived until age 10) and Houston (parts of middle and high school until college) that love their thinly-veiled bragging about all the Vietnamese food they've tried and which region of the country has better pho

Thanks for your input.

How do we feel about "white people can't have opinions about non-American food" folks?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You totally can and I'm not stopping you, just stop it with the "authenticity" talk. Good food is good food whether it's "authentic" or not

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Food chat is the identity politics of the Texas Politics thread. It divides us in the face of our common enemy, whose name is Greg Abbott.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

You totally can and I'm not stopping you, just stop it with the "authenticity" talk. Good food is good food whether it's "authentic" or not

Thanks for stopping by.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Thai food > Vietnamese food.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Someone I know did this in a Mexican restaurant in East Austin last time I was there. When the Mexican-American waitress asked him (he's white) if he wanted corn or flour tortillas he made a point of saying he only ate corn because flour is what white people eat! The waitress smiled and kinda laughed and said that was funny because she liked flour.

My friend is kinda insufferable sometimes.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I mean if you'd rather I'd post more than once a month in this thread with even less to say per post. :shrug:

Actually, here's a question: since Texas didn't take the Medicaid expansion, my little brother's insurance is going to run out in October. He'll be 19 and thus ineligible for CHIP then. I know that losing your insurance is an event that qualifies you to enroll on the federal exchanges but is the onus on him (since he's over the age of majority, but I don't know how this interacts with the age 26 rule) or on my parents to get insurance (they've been insurance-free since my dad lost his job :smith:) and who will be penalized and have to pay the fee come tax time? My suspicion is my parents on both counts but I don't know if there's some additional fuckery going on at the state level. He can't get on my insurance since I'm in Massachusetts, I don't think.

Wikkheiser posted:

Someone I know did this in a Mexican restaurant in East Austin last time I was there. When the Mexican-American waitress asked him (he's white) if he wanted corn or flour tortillas he made a point of saying he only ate corn because flour is what white people eat! The waitress smiled and kinda laughed and said that was funny because she liked flour.

My friend is kinda insufferable sometimes.
Did you tell him to order in Spanish next time?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
From the schadenfreude thread- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEJ1UTzaJ4A

We need to invest in more signs like the ones I'd see in Carizzo saying "DON'T DROWN, TURN BACK"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all my Actual Mexican friends are white as hell, they're from Saltillo/Monterrey and trace their lineage to Jewish immigrants

they're also super racist and make fun of the "oompa loompas" in the south

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

This is correct. A lot of the "you have to go to the taqueria that's in the back of the gas station where all the semis are parked, and you only go there on a day where there's an entire construction crew and two different off-duty mariachi bands eating there or its not as good" poo poo is stupid.

There are plenty of upscale "white people" taco places that make loving delicious tacos. And there are some authentic taquerias where no one working there speaks a word of english whose food tastes like rear end. Judging a restaurant's quality by some weird metric of what feels more latino is dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e_angst posted:

This is correct. A lot of the "you have to go to the taqueria that's in the back of the gas station where all the semis are parked, and you only go there on a day where there's an entire construction crew and two different off-duty mariachi bands eating there or its not as good" poo poo is stupid.

There are plenty of upscale "white people" taco places that make loving delicious tacos. And there are some authentic taquerias where no one working there speaks a word of english whose food tastes like rear end. Judging a restaurant's quality by some weird metric of what feels more latino is dumb.

Yeah it's almost like we were kidding with all the taco posturing and how that impacts Texanness, because I know us all to be proud as gently caress Texans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Yeah it's almost like we were kidding with all the taco posturing and how that impacts Texanness, because I know us all to be proud as gently caress Texans.

Goddamnit the Texas thread is serious business.