Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

for anyone on the fence about getting the discounted 5x through fi, you should do it soon as it expires on the 9th of this month

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Whizbang posted:

If I don't even have to show my tits for a One Plus then it loses the novelty of exclusivity which is the only thing it had going for it in the first place.

Ugh god, I'd almost forgotten about that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RVProfootballer posted:

Pretty sure that's the 16 GB one for $200

galahan posted:

$272.03 through Google fi to be exact, mine is coming today.32gb

Durr, and I just bought one two weeks ago. Mine came out to $265 + $15 for 2-day shipping.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RZA Encryption posted:

"My cellphone melted while I was charging it, so naturally I'm going to replace it with something from the same manufacturer."

Point taken, but in the interest of full disclosure the truth is even dumber because the charger that melted it was a completely unbranded one I found lying on the floor of a classroom at the university where I work. Truly the ivory tower of academia is for our own protection.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Point taken, but in the interest of full disclosure the truth is even dumber because the charger that melted it was a completely unbranded one I found lying on the floor of a classroom at the university where I work. Truly the ivory tower of academia is for our own protection.

Trap sprung.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I've been using a new Nexus 5X for the past couple of days, and I've noticed a couple issues already:
  • The display backlight isn't quite uniform. It's a tiny bit darker on the right than on the left, and it's the most pronounced on the bottom right quadrant.
  • The earpiece buzzes at comfortable listening volumes (and above).
I'm already going to try to get it exchanged for the earpiece buzzing, but how common are screen uniformity issues on these? It's extremely subtle and I don't think most people would even notice, but I knew something was a little off the first time the on-screen keyboard came up and the right 1/3rd looked slightly less vibrant than the rest.

As you might expect, capturing this with a camera is difficult, but you can kind of see the source of the problem here. The most extreme area is in the bottom right (which is usually covered up by the navigation buttons), but in person, it covers a larger portion of the screen. In fact, the whole right edge of the screen looks dimmer than the left. (You can ignore the fade at the top. That's just from being slightly off-angle)

Depending on how the edge-lighting is arranged on this screen, I'm guessing this effect could range anywhere from "acceptable" to "grounds for replacement". How common is this and how likely would I be to see this same issue on a replacement?

And yes, I did follow the advice in the thread title first. Percussive maintenance hasn't resolved the earpiece buzzing.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 3, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is it illegal to love my S7 here?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Only by the vocal minority.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
E: should have been in the apps thread

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Zorilla posted:

I've been using a new Nexus 5X for the past couple of days, and I've noticed a couple issues already:
  • The display backlight isn't quite uniform. It's a tiny bit darker on the right than on the left, and it's the most pronounced on the bottom right quadrant.
  • The earpiece buzzes at comfortable listening volumes (and above).
I'm already going to try to get it exchanged for the earpiece buzzing, but how common are screen uniformity issues on these? It's extremely subtle and I don't think most people would even notice, but I knew something was a little off the first time the on-screen keyboard came up and the right 1/3rd looked slightly less vibrant than the rest.

As you might expect, capturing this with a camera is difficult, but you can kind of see the source of the problem here. The most extreme area is in the bottom right (which is usually covered up by the navigation buttons), but in person, it covers a larger portion of the screen. In fact, the whole right edge of the screen looks dimmer than the left. (You can ignore the fade at the top. That's just from being slightly off-angle)

Depending on how the edge-lighting is arranged on this screen, I'm guessing this effect could range anywhere from "acceptable" to "grounds for replacement". How common is this and how likely would I be to see this same issue on a replacement?

And yes, I did follow the advice in the thread title first. Percussive maintenance hasn't resolved the earpiece buzzing.

You totally got a bad one as mine doesn't have either of these issues. Get it exchanged post haste

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I've never heard of those being like widespread well-known issues with the build quality either so I second the suggestion to return it ASAP.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Solid Poopsnake posted:

YES

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I've already contacted the authorities. :frogdowns:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Solid Poopsnake posted:

It's a good phone, looking forward to getting a Note 6 for my work phone personally.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is an odd question but figured I'd ask it here. I love the slow-mo video on my Nexus 6p, and I've already shot like 4 videos for work with it (and took some awesome panoramas/spheres!). However, my hands shake like an arthritic crack addicts which is even more obvious when it comes to video. Is there some like, little tripod thinger that'll work for a phone that you guys have used/would suggest?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I use this combination for my Nexus 6 (and other cameras): http://joby.com/mobile/griptight-gpod . You'll need the "large phone" option for yours.

They have other stands (i.e. suction cups you'd use with a GoPro) as well. Good stuff for all your possible needs :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't used any, but there are both tripods designed for phones and adapters that let you screw a phone onto a normal tripod.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

AlexF posted:

I use this combination for my Nexus 6 (and other cameras): http://joby.com/mobile/griptight-gpod . You'll need the "large phone" option for yours.

They have other stands (i.e. suction cups you'd use with a GoPro) as well. Good stuff for all your possible needs :)

Thanks for this, just ordered one.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
My wife has a 16gb Moto X Pure, and she's having a mystery storage problem. Obviously system data cuts that 16gb into more like 9.6gb, but as this list shows, there's roughly 2.8gb of that 9.6gb missing and unaccounted for. Any ideas?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

AlexF posted:

Wow that looks freaking awesome! I've done some looking around, that one is only about 2.75" tall apparently. I thought the larger one would be better:
http://joby.com/griptight-gorillapod-magnetic
(5.9" height)

But it's not in stock.

I'm in Canada, so I took a quick spin to Amazon to look for deals of it in stock and all I can say is "buyer beware". Lots of Amazon reviews about people receiving generic chinese versions instead of Joby, receiving a completely different stand with no gorilla pods, etc.

Checked BestBuy, Walmart, London Drugs, etc. and they either didn't have it, or you had to buy tripod and grip XL separately for a lot more money. Think I'm going to get it from Joby direct, assuming the larger version ever comes back into stock. Thx duder!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

peterjmatt posted:

My wife has a 16gb Moto X Pure, and she's having a mystery storage problem. Obviously system data cuts that 16gb into more like 9.6gb, but as this list shows, there's roughly 2.8gb of that 9.6gb missing and unaccounted for. Any ideas?

The built in storage utility only gives you a general overview. There might be directories on the device like "Downloads" sucking up space. There could also be OTAs or something. There are apps that can actually total up how much storage each directory consumes.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

peterjmatt posted:

I have had the same issue when moving apps to/from the external SD card (even when it's formatted as internal storage). Related: there is a bug where you try to move something to SD and it says insufficient space even though there is plenty. Just go ahead and move it again and it will work the 2nd time. If you DON'T move it again it will 'lose' the space as you described in your post.

In summary android in tyool 2016 still can't deal with external storage worth half a poo poo.

e:
My temporary solution was to factory reset and always try twice if moving apps failed. My permanent solution is that I'm going to get a phone with a lot of internal storage because it's just not worth 50 bucks savings to have to deal with this bullshit.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 3, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

peterjmatt posted:

Install DiskUsage and see what exactly is taking up space.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

peterjmatt posted:

An F2FS volume (which most Android /data volumes are these days, including the prior year's Moto X, hence the assumption) won't generally de-allocate space until either it has to or it can actually take the time to service the volume properly (which, on a phone, is hardly ever, and if someone screwed up with the f2fs library might not actually happen even then). It's entirely possible that, even if everything is working right, some of that space will never be de-allocated for the same maintenance and wear management reasons solid-state drives on general-purpose computers don't expose their entire storage space to the OS.

On the other hand, she still has enough space, so don't sweat it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 4, 2016

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

An F2FS volume (which most Android /data volumes are these days, including the prior year's Moto X, hence the assumption)

Both of the 2015 Nexus devices used ext4 exclusively.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

b0lt posted:

Both of the 2015 Nexus devices used ext4 exclusively.

Great, so Motorola did a stupid. :sigh: Why am I not surprised.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

F2FS was actually the smart choice. It's a ton faster at writes on eMMC than EXT4 and doesn't require a background TRIM process.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/9

Regardless, I don't think the file system is the cause of the storage use. We've had Nexus owners in this thread reporting the very same thing and needed a factory reset to fix.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

F2FS was actually the smart choice. It's a ton faster at writes on eMMC than EXT4 and doesn't require a background TRIM process.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/9

Yeah, I know. That assumes holding everything else equal, though, and I'm not convinced Motorola (even pre-Lenovo) would have shown the filesystem stack the same duty of care as Google would. Motorola blowing it reflects poorly on Motorola's phones. Google blowing it reflects poorly on all of Android.

So does Samsung blowing it, come to think of it, and Google can't really control Samsung, and Samsung isn't really after the 'people who actually care about duty of care and developmental rigor' market segments. I'm a little surprised that Google hasn't given them an ultimatum with a veiled 'if you don't want to play ball then have tons of fun with Tizen and tell us how it works out' yet.

quote:

Regardless, I don't think the file system is the cause of the storage use. We've had Nexus owners in this thread reporting the very same thing and needed a factory reset to fix.

Curious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've got an htc one m8 and last night the screen started switching on randomly when my phone was just sat on my desk. the only app i've downloaded in months was the avg anti virus just now but that found nothing. Any idea whats causing it?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

bull3964 posted:

f2fs might be significantly better when writing to slow flash, but the advantages are a lot less pronounced with faster flash. ext4 doesn't require a background process for TRIM either.

More importantly, many of the ext4 maintainers work at Google. One of the new N features, file based encryption, requires file system extensions, and it's a lot easier to do that for a filesystem actively maintained by a bunch of your employees.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jose posted:

i've got an htc one m8 and last night the screen started switching on randomly when my phone was just sat on my desk. the only app i've downloaded in months was the avg anti virus just now but that found nothing. Any idea whats causing it?
Do you allow apps to autoupdate?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

No. Its a bit poo poo since it seems to be draining the battery fairly quickly as a result

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I had the M8 for like a week and had the same issue. Turned out the power button got stuck in the frame at exactly the point that the phone interpreted it as a click. I returned it because gently caress that kind of QC.

Maybe that's what's happening to you?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jose posted:

You do not need anti virus on your phone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

AlexF posted:

I had the M8 for like a week and had the same issue. Turned out the power button got stuck in the frame at exactly the point that the phone interpreted it as a click. I returned it because gently caress that kind of QC.

Maybe that's what's happening to you?

i've had the phone 2 years and recently changed the contract to pay much less because i didn't really see a new one worth moving to at the time.

i've never had anti virus on a phone before it just seemed an easy thing to try. the problem has resolved itself anyway as far as i can tell so maybe it was the power button being off

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jose posted:

i've had the phone 2 years and recently changed the contract to pay much less because i didn't really see a new one worth moving to at the time.

i've never had anti virus on a phone before it just seemed an easy thing to try. the problem has resolved itself anyway as far as i can tell so maybe it was the power button being off

Antivirus is a great thing to download and run for peace of mind. Constant file/process scanners are no more than a drain on your battery. At least, I don't need real-time protection to listen to podcasts and poo poo up this forum.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
huh, neat my z3 compact just got 6.0.1

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BraveUlysses posted:

huh, neat my z3 compact just got 6.0.1

What country are you in and what network, if any, was the phone bought through?

My Z3 Compact got 6.0.1 in December through the Concept program.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Jose posted:

Well, your first mistake is installing an antivirus on your phone. Get rid of that poo poo and see if it's still happening. You don't need an antivirus unless you like installing random apk's from Chinese/Russian websites, and even then I'm not sure it'll even do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What country are you in and what network, if any, was the phone bought through?

My Z3 Compact got 6.0.1 in December through the Concept program.

Phone was purchased from UK, but im in the US on AT&T. OTA update.