Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shinino Kage posted:

Man, I feel dumb. Had 5 runes and was doing great, went to Hell and cleared the opening area. Then went to one of the branches and died within 5 minutes. :(

Could just be me but Hell has gotten way more difficult lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Well, it was my fault I died. I was trying to get back to the first area, and instead of Blinking near the entrance out of danger, I ran -- and died. My fault.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What does it imply if the game says that my horns and headbutting are completely suppressed?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Sounds like you're in some form that doesn't have horns, like tree or spider form, so you can't headbutt people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Sounds like you're in some form that doesn't have horns, like tree or spider form, so you can't headbutt people.
It was actually the shouting mutation apparently, I just used a cure mutation potion and I can now headbutt again, and I no longer shout uncontrollably.

Edit: Oh and yeah last run I died, after breezing through everything, by walking into green sprites at the slime entrance to look two stacks of gold. (E3: AND NOW I HAVE SHOALS IN THIS LAIR, THAT ONE DID'T HAVE THEM. :qq:)

:negative:

Edit2: What is the meaning of life?

Find out in the next episode of World's Most Literate Minotaur Fighter of Okawaru. :v:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Shakill OReal posted:

If you pick a Minotaur Axe Berserker you can do this and win.

Took the suggestion tabbed my way to victory within three games. Now back to splatting random characters on D:1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
MiBe was my first win, too.

Now I'm trying with a Gargoyle Fighter. (I wanna get goodplayer with ten unique races/classes if at all possible.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
grab the book of cantrips at some point, there's some useful stuff in there that even a mifi might be able to cast without too much investment.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What does draining actually do to enemies? I've always been curious if it affects them the exact same way it affects players or not

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Reduces Hit Dice.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Reduces Hit Dice.

, which reduces damage, accuracy, spellpower, and affects various corner cases. Each hit of draining is 1 HD, so it's most effective early on.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is the drain effect from a higher power rod of clouds at the same level? Seems like critters standing around in a negative energy cloud for multiple turns never get past "lightly drained".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, that's because they die, yeah?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What's the rate of skill re-earning when drained? I just tabbed my MiBe against a MiBe ghost of mine but didn't realise it had a battleaxe of draining. From 27 Axes got all the way down to 13, and it came almost all the way back within one level of depths. Clearly it wasn't being earned back at the normal rate.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FulsomFrank posted:

Could just be me but Hell has gotten way more difficult lately.

What changes have there been other than Iron Giants showing up in Dis, which can probably gently caress you up with their tossing?

Hell is the hardest place in the game so you shouldn't feel bad about dying there.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What changes have there been other than Iron Giants showing up in Dis, which can probably gently caress you up with their tossing?

Hell is the hardest place in the game so you shouldn't feel bad about dying there.

Iron giants are super tough and imo launched Dis way above the others as 'most difficult hell' but I've also found shard shrikes can be pretty nasty if I can't just obliterate them with CL. Bat movement and throw icicle is pretty annoying for a melee character.

Dis was probably my pick for most difficult hell anyway though, what with the hell sentinels and Dispator.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Prior to iron giants I would call Dis the easiest hell branch, with them I think it's second hardest(behind coc, still). I don't really have any more trouble with hell sentinels than fiends and Dispater is a big chump.

I don't think I'd ever call any Hell branch the hardest area in the game though. Not unless they change significantly, any character I've had going into hell has always been more than strong enough to deal with it unless I do something stupid(although of course things like lovely RNG petrify can happen, but are quite unlikely).
Heck, for my first win I grabbed Geh's rune for kicks, and my MuSk win I grabbed Tartarus' for my 3rd rune.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 3, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Prior to iron giants I would call Dis the easiest hell branch, with them I think it's second hardest(behind coc, still). I don't really have any more trouble with hell sentinels than fiends and Dispater is a big chump.
Its mostly because I play a lot of casters and shortblade stabbers. Hell Sentinels resist every big spell except shatter and spines wreck quickblade users, plus they are immune to the good quickblade brands. It makes them huge unkillable bricks compared to fiends, which are all relatively squishy.

Ditto for Dispater, the combination of huge health, huge resists and huge ac makes fighting him a pain with my usual characters.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I usually save Gehenna / Coctyus for the end because they're typically a lot easier than Dis' neverending stream of ball-kicking from Hell Sentinels and Iron Giants on top of all the other usual bullshit. Tart is horrible for the Shadow Demons and Tormentors and Silent Spectres and goddamit Hell is tough. Not blaming the game by any means (except glow/paralysis) but it is a tough branch. Maybe I just haven't been a tanky enough character to take care of business there lately.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I noticed Ukayaw in need of a sprite. Forgive me if this is too tacky for Crawl.

e: did I submit this correctly?

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 3, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

jerkstoresup posted:

I noticed Ukayaw in need of a sprite. Forgive me if this is too tacky for Crawl.

The god of DDR

(it looks great!)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

Yep! Very cute :)

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I don't know why but some time ago I decided that my first ever crawl win will be done with VSAs. I wanted to have some challenge and I think that have it as so far I've got 117 failed attempts. I think the deepest which I reached was around D13 or something close to it. Most often I'm losing because of me deciding that I'm powerful enough to tackle this next new monster , instead of just running away.

One thing which I'm wondering about is training skills. So far my plan is:

Short Blades to 5
Stealth to 10
Short Blades to 10
few levels of throwing sneaked between Short Blades hits 10
Dodging to 10?

Basically, I usually die before this plan is finished, but what should I focus on training next? Also, if anybody has any general tips for a stealthy vine, I'd appreciate those.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

jerkstoresup posted:

The tiles just keep getting better and better. Good work on this (and everyone has been putting in overtime revamping the rings and amulets and zombies)!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

kaaj posted:

I don't know why but some time ago I decided that my first ever crawl win will be done with VSAs. I wanted to have some challenge and I think that have it as so far I've got 117 failed attempts. I think the deepest which I reached was around D13 or something close to it. Most often I'm losing because of me deciding that I'm powerful enough to tackle this next new monster , instead of just running away.

Short Blades to 5
Stealth to 10
Short Blades to 10
Dodging to 10?

Basically, I usually die before this plan is finished, but what should I focus on training next? Also, if anybody has any general tips for a stealthy vine, I'd appreciate those.

What you train next is going to be dependent on what you've found and what god you've taken. Active gods like Okawaru or Makhleb would benefit from Invocations investment while you're training Dodging, for example. Alternatively, you've found a good Hexes book which would allow you to move into a more Enchanter role: you would want to train Hexes to bring up success rates on Confuse and Ensorcelled Hibernation.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kaaj posted:

Short Blades to 5
Stealth to 10
Short Blades to 10
Dodging to 10?

Generally you want to enter the Lair of Beasts when you see it instead of just progressing down the dungeon. You would definitely have seen it before reaching D:13.

I'd also suggest putting more points into dodging/fighting. Training only stealth as a defensive skill isn't exactly the best because you have no recourse when it fails (other than the extremely OP tactic known as "walking away", that is), which is why Assassins are usually played more as "gladiator with blowgun" than "sneaky stealth stabber". If you really want to stab dudes you should pick Enchanter.

Also definitely train throwing earlier on. Blowguns with poison needles are extremely powerful if you can take advantage of them, but in recent versions they need throwing skill to work.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, I've been lucky enough to get the swamp every time on all my characters that make it pretty far. Until now. And boy, let me tell you, the shoals loving SUCK.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

Man, I've been lucky enough to get the swamp every time on all my characters that make it pretty far. Until now. And boy, let me tell you, the shoals loving SUCK.
IMO, the Shoals are the best argument in the game that Shields aren't a lost cause. Especially with an amulet of reflection.

Edit Followed closely behind by the glorious moment when you reflect an Orb of Destruction back at the sender. :getin:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 3, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I have 5 Int, so how do I go about this?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kalstrams posted:

I have 5 Int, so how do I go about this?

Don't. :v: Alternatively, find rings of intellect, artifacts with +int or constantly chain chug potions of intelligence.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

C7ty1 posted:

Don't. :v: Alternatively, find rings of intellect, artifacts with +int or constantly chain chug potions of intelligence.
Aha, so something bad will happen.

Edit: Okawaru, pls.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You don't, unless you want to put points in Int just to be able to use it. (And be in danger from any sort of Int drain)

Or unless you luck out and find a bunch of Int+ gear. :v:

E: The 'something bad' is Brainlessness, which paralyzes you for a few turns when it happens, slows you, stops you from casting spells, and gives you 80% failure when trying to read scrolls. It's Bad.

Nanomashoes posted:

Shoals goes a lot smoother if you have a good ranged attack, rmsl, and/or reflection. If you have invis, it's a total joke(except for Aquamancers).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In other news, picked up my first ever rune today, in Swamp. Slowly going through Snake pit at the moment. I can autoexplore+tabfight through it, technically, but I get destroyed by shock serpents.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Shoals goes a lot smoother if you have a good ranged attack, rmsl, and/or reflection. If you have invis, it's a total joke(except for Aquamancers).

I have a +6 amulet of reflection but so far Elf 3 has been easier than the shoals (which I left early), despite being banished 3 time in a row nothing has taken me as low as the time I got mesmerized, slowed, and confused, in water, while surrounded by enemies, with two aquamancers out of range.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

I have a +6 amulet of reflection but so far Elf 3 has been easier than the shoals (which I left early), despite being banished 3 time in a row nothing has taken me as low as the time I got mesmerized, slowed, and confused, in water, while surrounded by enemies, with two aquamancers out of range.
Oh, yeah, clarity helps, too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
When things go bad in Shoals, the open environment and swathes of shallow water slowing movement anywhere from 30% to 100% for the non-swimming non-flying species (compared to enemy merfolk getting spriggan-like movement bonuses!) makes that bad situation snowball into a worse one. You can't re-position as easily there as you could in other dungeon areas without burning consumables.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So if I get the shining one to bless a demon whip of venom that brand gets replaced with holy wrath, right? I won't have a scourge of venom?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yep, it will override the existing brand. It will also get another +2 on it, so that is always nice.

If ya' got an eveningstar laying around, it probably is the better choice for the blessing though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm so far in the game I'm getting lost with skills. Want to get shields to 25 should I get a large shield, but I think I'm way past any one hand M&F with my skill in maces. I'm MiFi finishing up second Lair branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, if you're using shields there's not ever any (worthwhile)reason to get more than 16 M&F skill.

Am I correct in saying you have like no dodging? (Not used to offline's interface.) You should get a hefty amount of dodging. Like, probably at least 10 or so. I'd train nothing but dodging and invo for a bit if you're playing an invo god like oka(good to get like 6-7 invo with him).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread