Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Back Hack posted:

Man, if they remove D.va's head hitbox, that would more than make up for her lovely damage. :allears:

Replace her mech's terrible guns with her out of mech pistol and remove her move speed penalty when firing. D.Va is now worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

the issue now is that players in online games legitimately think that if you say "game was easy :^)" after a match you are banworthy and a poor sport and blah blah blah

You're not banworthy but are in fact a poor sport.

I really don't get why people push so hard for their right to be dicks to complete strangers because they won a video game. If it actually gives you an ego boost you're kinda pathetic and if not then you're being a dick to strangers for no reason on the off chance you'll upset someone. It's kind of meaningless.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
don't bm, merely of a timely "Stopwatch." after every game. god bless.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Eonwe posted:

I think being nice to people is good, and hope that we all strive to do that in our lives

I also think that this is good

But I also tend to think that banning or suspending people who hurt your feelings even incidentally is a product of internet-era socialization and echo chambering and is itself not very nice

If someone calls you a racial or homophobic epithet yes ban that guy he is trash, if someone says "you are not very good at this game" you should probably just mute them or maybe don't let every single thing said against you work you into a colossal tizzy

Wangsbig posted:

people that play competitive videogames have small broken brains and fragile egos and you can easily exploit their delicate emotional constitutions if you say they are bad or call them gay

I'm okay with someone getting the axe if they run around calling everyone gay tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

people that play competitive videogames have small broken brains and fragile egos and you can easily exploit their delicate emotional constitutions if you say they are bad or call them gay

why would you want to do that though

i mean say what you want and joke around, but why would you want to tell someone how bad they are or call them gay

seems kind of mean for the sake of being mean to me

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Banning somebody for saying "ez" is probably dumb as hell but if player tribunals repeatedly see it and say "gently caress that guy" maybe it's a good hint that saying it is universally recognized as a dick move meant to antagonize everyone and you should not do that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

guts and bolts posted:

I also think that this is good

But I also tend to think that banning or suspending people who hurt your feelings even incidentally is a product of internet-era socialization and echo chambering and is itself not very nice

i dont think people should be banned, i dont even know what conversation is going on except that people seem to be kinda mad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

It really isn't. The major difference is that if you're an rear end in a top hat in real-life sports people just stop playing with you, unless you're a professional and even then you get plenty of half-assed apologizing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I didn't realize there were a bunch of hero specific options. I much prefer the mercy 'fly to whoever you want' and 'keep the beam going' options as well as the hanzo and genji 'auto climb the walls' and lucio's 'press shift to speed boost otherwise its gonna default to heal aura' I wish soldier had a 'run only when holding shift' option though

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

guts and bolts posted:

Genji v Genji v Tracer v Widowmaker v McCree v McCree every game forever spinning into infinity so hard it creates a new universe where everyone is made of salt and nobody has any fun

Sounds more fun than this week's Genji vs Hanzo brawl.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i do not expect goons to understand the high-level mind games that come with being a chaos gamer, only to meekly accept their existence and take their place in the pecking order. namaste.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think everyone in this thread, including myself, should be banned from all Blizzard games . . . for life.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

You're not banworthy but are in fact a poor sport.

I really don't get why people push so hard for their right to be dicks to complete strangers because they won a video game. If it actually gives you an ego boost you're kinda pathetic and if not then you're being a dick to strangers for no reason on the off change you'll upset someone. It's kind of meaningless.

if it's meaningless then why are you upset about it? honest question, has no one ever had to deal with just reg-rear end trash talk in their lives before? what activities do you engage in where there is competition and absolutely nobody ever says anything even remotely funny, sarcastic, or even in "bad manners"? if you don't like trash talk that's fine but I have never played any game, sports or e-sports or otherwise, where everyone just arrived to play, played the game in relative silence, talked about their wives or the weather, and then just left afterward

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

if it's meaningless then why are you upset about it? honest question, has no one ever had to deal with just reg-rear end trash talk in their lives before? what activities do you engage in where there is competition and absolutely nobody ever says anything even remotely funny, sarcastic, or even in "bad manners"? if you don't like trash talk that's fine but I have never played any game, sports or e-sports or otherwise, where everyone just arrived to play, played the game in relative silence, talked about their wives or the weather, and then just left afterward

It's fun to hang out with friends and have fun.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Wangsbig posted:

i do not expect goons to understand the high-level mind games that come with being a chaos gamer, only to meekly accept their existence and take their place in the pecking order. namaste.

does chaos gaming count as continuously killing their healer as they leave spawn because that what i do as shotgun ghost

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im actually really mean to people in video games, but only when I see them being mean to others

when I see someone shittalking another person, I'm way more vile and toxic to that person for being a dick than they thought about being

but its just because i want them to know that maybe it doesn't feel good to be made fun of

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

does chaos gaming count as continuously killing their healer as they leave spawn because that what i do as shotgun ghost

I think that's just playing well.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. The major difference is that if you're an rear end in a top hat in real-life sports people just stop playing with you, unless you're a professional and even then you get plenty of half-assed apologizing.

no offense but if you have ever actually played a sport in real life you're be pretty inured at this point to people calling your skills into question, telling you that you're bad, or generally questioning why you thought you could play (with them?)

professional athletes have never in my memory apologized for trash talk, literally ever, and that's including the time Kevin Garnett told Carmelo Anthony that his wife "tasted like Honey Nut Cheerios"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

There are several dozen words in the English language that can be used to talk disparagingly about the enemy team (in a tongue-in-cheek manner) that do not have the connotations of calling someone "gay" as a slur in the modern world.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

chaos gaming means to sow the seeds of discord amongst friend and foe alike through any means possible

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

no offense but if you have ever actually played a sport in real life you're be pretty inured at this point to people calling your skills into question, telling you that you're bad, or generally questioning why you thought you could play (with them?)

Woah. I don't think your friends like you very much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'd like to see a Brawl that is all tracer 50% c/d time on shift, no E move.

Just 12 people zipping around like mad taking pot shots at one another.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

J posted:

I like all the people who kept yelling how the game would be dead within a month because they solo queued into a group, and also they think every loss they take is because the other team is grouped.

I played the Beta, felt pretty good about it but really did think "This is fun but it seems like the kind of game that's not going to be fun anymore when people become experts at it. So I won't buy it"....which I still do think but I fuckin' bought it anyway.

P.S. The most fun way to play this game is to switch off with someone and let them pick which hero you use.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I've dealt with it and I don't personally care but I know it impacts other people and makes their experience less fun. v:shobon:v

And generally, no, anything I do in real life tends to avoid that stuff unless it is between friends because a friend ribbing you and a random strange ribbing you don't actually have the same feel.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
When I competed in grappling tournaments against complete strangers you shook hands at the start of the match, and at the end win or lose. No one leaned over to the other guy and whispered "easy" after they won

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I, too, love to debate Internet Etiquette and Racisms in this, the Blizzard Overwatch Videogame Thread.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I'd like to see a Brawl that is all tracer 50% c/d time on shift, no E move.

Just 12 people zipping around like mad taking pot shots at one another.

Kinda reminds me of playing TF2 with only baseball bat scouts. poo poo was the best.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Almost all the brawls suck and it's stupid that the mode is basically going to be unplayable for months at a time since each one lasts a week instead of 1-3 days

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

GlitchThief posted:

It's fun to hang out with friends and have fun.

i agree, rock on, I'm just saying that trash talk can be fun and anecdotally my friends and I routinely talk poo poo to each other in Discord or Mumble when playing virtually anything together, or face to face when we play tabletop games or pickup basketball or whatever. and if you don't like it you can mute people, that's literally why the feature is there

Vermain posted:

There are several dozen words in the English language that can be used to talk disparagingly about the enemy team (in a tongue-in-cheek manner) that do not have the connotations of calling someone "gay" as a slur in the modern world.

if you've read anything I've posted so far it's that i think calling someone gay or using racial epithets is lame and bad and absolutely ban that loving guy, those words don't mean much if you're some dick-rear end white kid living with his parents but it could be really lovely to someone else seeing it/hearing it/whatever so get 'em outta here

but play Overwatch for an hour and every third remark in allchat is about how so-and-so is getting "reported" for "ggez" or "dude you suck" or something

GlitchThief posted:

Woah. I don't think your friends like you very much.

i actually like them enough to not think they'll crumble like brittle cookies if someone makes a joke with them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like being a dick to people who are already salty for some reason because it's funny but that's not a good reason to allow racism/throwing slurs in the game.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

This is why i don't play games with goons.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Countblanc posted:

Almost all the brawls suck and it's stupid that the mode is basically going to be unplayable for months at a time since each one lasts a week instead of 1-3 days

are the brawls set on a schedule like way ahead of time? do we know what's coming and when? why will they suck for months? because this Shimada Bros. nonsense is awful

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

I, too, love to debate Internet Etiquette and Racisms in this, the Blizzard Overwatch Videogame Thread.

i also enjoy this, as well

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well, be good to each other everyone, I think you'll enjoy life a lot more that way

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

i actually like them enough to not think they'll crumble like brittle cookies if someone makes a joke with them

Maybe it's the nature of internet communication, but what you described reads less like a joke and more like a dedicated put-down campaign.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i said gg ez once and i felt bad about it. perhaps i am weak?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

guts and bolts posted:

are the brawls set on a schedule like way ahead of time? do we know what's coming and when? why will they suck for months? because this Shimada Bros. nonsense is awful

I don't know what the schedule is, but basically during beta they ran a ton of different brawls, many of which were really bad variations on "only these 2-5 characters, sometimes with decreased ability cooldowns", and changed every day to get feedback on as many of them as possible. Considering Shimada Bros is still in the play list and they've given zero statements about their results/feedback on the original brawls, I see no reason to think that they aren't just going to use all of their original ones.

The list can be found here: http://www.overpwn.com/news/151-a-full-list-of-datamined-overwatch-brawls-in-patch

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

GlitchThief posted:

Maybe it's the nature of internet communication, but what you described reads less like a joke and more like a dedicated put-down campaign.

"dedicated putdown campaign" made me laugh out loud

yes, when my friend whiffs an easy Widowmaker shot on his PotG cam and we all make fun of him for it, it's systematic and organized bullying

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

yes, when my friend whiffs an easy Widowmaker shot on his PotG cam and we all make fun of him for it, it's systematic and organized bullying

Seeing the signs is the first step. Good luck on your journey of recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

je suis widow