Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

A Thunderbird crashed today, too, but he was able to get out before he woke up dead.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/breaking-news/2016/06/02/thunderbirds-f-16-crashes-following-air-force-academy-graduation/85307094/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why the gently caress do you have a cobalt 60 source? And what do you do with it after it decays? Doesn't it have a halflife of like 5~6 years?

I have a set of ~1 microcurie test sources for alphas (polonium-210), betas (strontium-90), and gammas (cobalt-60). They're below legally exempt limits and the recommended procedure for disposal is to deface the radioactive symbols so they don't spook anyone who finds them later. Those levels aren't dangerous to living things but will give G-M counters an alarmingly-high count rate if they're set up to measure background.

Polonium-210 has an annoyingly-short half-life but the strontium-90 and cobalt-60 should be good for a big chunk of the rest of my life.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

That got me thinking, anyone's workplaces have procedures or accident types named after dummies who did things that belong in this thread?

(Yes, I know the Curies just lacked knowledge of the consequences and weren't dummies)

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I suppose "Deadman's Switch/Feature" had to come from somewhere...

Edit: I know there's a ton from aviation related stuff, but I just can't think of a specific one right now. :bang:

Roumba fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 3, 2016

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Roumba posted:

I suppose "Deadman's Switch/Feature" had to come from somewhere...

Edit: I know there's a ton from aviation related stuff, but I just can't think of a specific one right now. :bang:

There's the "Cooper vane" that held back stairs closed on some airplanes, named after DB Cooper who hijacked a plane, stole some money, and jumped out the back.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

XYZ posted:

Speaking of Occidental...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Alpha

"Fire raging on one of our platforms? gently caress it keep pumping fuel into it, shutting down would be expensive."

167 people were killed.

More than 150 of them were killed by Steven Seagal.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

A friend of mine took her kid on the mall carousel, and the ride was seeming to go on quite a bit longer than usual.

Guy was definitely asleep with his foot on the switch.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Awww thats cute

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fallows posted:

Awww thats cute

Pensioners being forced to work so they don't starve is cute :can:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

RabbitWizard posted:

There are all those hilarious/interesting videos about stuff getting crushed with a hydraulic press. I guess it's this threads fault that Youtube suggested me this one.
:nms: of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ldwuv2ZRy8

Yes, he died. I'm not a doctor, but I'm veeeeeery sure.

Zoomed in on the action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZhTL-Yzzc&t=130s

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

There's the "Cooper vane" that held back stairs closed on some airplanes, named after DB Cooper who hijacked a plane, stole some money, and jumped out the back.

This js actually a pretty neat story, but it's a shame the guy probably died when he jumped.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nah, he was fine. I saw him in Prison Break just a decade ago!

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine

satanic splash-back posted:

my favorite thing in the world is to discuss the exact same topic with the exact same posters every day

same

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Airborne Viking posted:

This js actually a pretty neat story, but it's a shame the guy probably died when he jumped.

He went on to run a talk radio station in New York during the 90s until his best announcer was killed by Andy Dick.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kizudarake posted:

He went on to run a talk radio station in New York during the 90s until his best announcer was killed by Andy Dick.

That was Doobie Keebler.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dillbag posted:

That was Doobie Keebler.

Adam West?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I ran a terminal for a cut-rate logistics company in Boston which would ship anything you could also a PRO sticker on. One morning a pup came in with 4 pallets stacked with strange metal buckets loaded in the nose under a huge hole in the roof (it happened to be raining too). No MSDS with the manifest or placards on the trailer, so I dug out a packing slip to find that it was about 4000 lbs of highly reactive alkali metals in buckets of oil which had been cross docked about 6 times since coming out of a lab in California. The freight was beat to hell and appeared ready to collapse under its own weight, the metal itself had a bad habit of spontaneously combusting or exploding when exposed to water. It never should have been picked up, let alone shipped along with other freight that it could potentially contaminate, but the answer I got from corporate was that it had made it this far so why not just deliver it? The last thing I wanted was to leave it sitting on my dock, so I swung it to an empty 53 and shipped it alone placarded as bulk hazmat since none of our terminals had 4.2 or 4.3 placards anyway.

At the end of the day after it got delivered I got chewed out not because I placarded improperly, but because I wasted 35' of floor space that I could have packed with more freight...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Robot Lincoln posted:

One morning a pup came in with 4 pallets

I, for one, don't think dogs should be allowed to handle hazardous material.

Stay safe, pallet pup.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Facebook Aunt posted:

I, for one, don't think dogs should be allowed to handle hazardous material.

Stay safe, pallet pup.
Widely misinterpreted the meaning of dog crate.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Short OSHA story from my grandma.

She worked at a factory for 35 years where at one point she was stamping out metal car parts. Theyre supposed to have a safety strap which pulls the operator's arm [s] out of the way as the press lowers, in theory making it impossible to injure yourself.

Her machine was missing that strap! -1 middle finger later she had a nice settlement and a transfer to QA.

It has the added side effect of her perpetually flipping the bird with her left hand when she wears gloves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

moonsour posted:

Short OSHA story from my grandma.

She worked at a factory for 35 years where at one point she was stamping out metal car parts. Theyre supposed to have a safety strap which pulls the operator's arm [s] out of the way as the press lowers, in theory making it impossible to injure yourself.

Her machine was missing that strap! -1 middle finger later she had a nice settlement and a transfer to QA.

It has the added side effect of her perpetually flipping the bird with her left hand when she wears gloves.

Your gran was hot.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I showed up to work this morning to find an enormous mess! I suppose the OSHA part is that my boss could have been hurt incredibly badly, or possibly killed, if not for the forklift being properly maintained and equipped with an overhead guard. He was not hurt, other than having to change his shorts.

Full gallery here.

Money shot:

Reason? This shelf collapsed on him while he was trying to pull a pallet off below it.

"Only" about ten gallons got spilled.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Left Ventricle posted:

"Only" about ten gallons got spilled.

Had something similar happen at a cold storage I worked at. We used what are called pushback racks, 7 pallets deep with 4 above floor levels. Sometimes if you hit the racks just right with your machine the rack "splits". The time I saw was stick butter, 4 sticks per box, about 30 boxes per case and about 60 cases per pallet. Probably 2 dozen pallets burried the (fully enclosed) lift.

Also learned that frozen turkeys bounce pretty high when dropped from 40 ft.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

nomad2020 posted:

Also learned that frozen turkeys bounce pretty high when dropped from 40 ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Had a call at work today. The xray tech at a doctor's office in a rural town noticed his dosemeter was reading really high. He realized that he'd stored it in his lab coat hanging on the wall of their laboratory, which shared a wall with the xray room - - the wall the machine was pointed at. They put some xray film in the lab and turn on the machine. The film develops. There was supposed to be a lead panel in the wall and leaded sheetrock. They discover neither of those are present. They also suspect the glass in the control room isn't leaded either. This dude estimated he's got about 700—800 mSv in the time he's worked there. Sucks because how are you supposed to know there isn't lead in the wall if you're just an employee?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

700-800 mSv over how many years? :stare:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

700-800 mSv over how many years? :stare:

Seriously. This sounds like the start of a huge lawsuit.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Imagined posted:

This dude estimated he's got about 700-800 mSv in the time he's worked there. Sucks because how are you supposed to know there isn't lead in the wall if you're just an employee?

what is that, about 4-8 rads? (Legacy units, I know)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kilo147 posted:

what is that, about 4-8 rads? (Legacy units, I know)

100 rads is 1 gray and neither are directly equal to any number of sieverts without additional information (they measure absorbed dose versus equivalent dose)

edit: to be more specific grays are raw energy absorbed by matter and sieverts have the same units (energy per mass) but are adjusted to better match health effects depending on type of radiation and location of irradiation, etc.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 4, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

100 rads is 1 gray and neither are directly equal to any number of sieverts without additional information (they measure absorbed dose versus equivalent dose)

edit: to be more specific grays are raw energy absorbed by matter and sieverts have the same units (energy per mass) but are adjusted to better match health effects depending on type of radiation and location of irradiation, etc.

Yeeees..... but the quality factor (the factor that determines how dangerous a certain type of radiation is) for x-rays is 1. That means 700 - 800 mSv of equivalent radiation in x-rays = 700 - 800 mGy of radiation, which is 70-80 rads. Of course, how dangerous this is strongly depends on the timespan in which this dose was received.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

it depends on how deep you're going into it, but I mostly wanted to be pedantic about dragging archaic units into it and using the wrong units and the wrong order of magnitude

1:1 is probably the way the dosimeter does it but if you're doing more detailed calculations it turns out that the dose response functions for the same energy of photon can be different for the same flux depending on what direction the flux hits you

edit: the 1:1 weighting for a full body photon dose comes from the fact that we really still don't know wtf, the full body weights for the other radiation types are also incredibly rough

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 4, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wheeee!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeeees..... but the quality factor (the factor that determines how dangerous a certain type of radiation is) for x-rays is 1. That means 700 - 800 mSv of equivalent radiation in x-rays = 700 - 800 mGy of radiation, which is 70-80 rads. Of course, how dangerous this is strongly depends on the timespan in which this dose was received.

Yeah, at those levels, hell no. I'm sitting comfortably at about 50 mSv so far on the year, I might hit 70 or 80 mSv by December, and I'm completely fine with that. my Biannual-ish CT scan/X-ray battery is unavoidable. Anything approaching ARS levels and gently caress that noise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Imagined posted:

This dude estimated he's got about 700—800 mSv in the time he's worked there.

That’s Ramsar territory. All x‐ray is unique, though.

Now all we need to do is expose more technicians find more exposed technicians and get a proper study going.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, at those levels, hell no. I'm sitting comfortably at about 50 mSv so far on the year, I might hit 70 or 80 mSv by December, and I'm completely fine with that. my Biannual-ish CT scan/X-ray battery is unavoidable. Anything approaching ARS levels and gently caress that noise.

yikes

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Between the growths in my liver, growths near the pancreas, and the growths in my lungs, I'm getting a biannual battery of tests to make sure nothing changes. So far it looks like hemangiomas and boring lung nodules, but without biopsying them there's no way to be 100% sure. It's funny, if I were a radiation worker, I'd be pulled from the job by now thanks to that amount of radiation.

Oh, and my PCP screwed up, my last chest CT was accidentally written as a abdomen CT. They took all the imaging and had me wait, since they couldn't find my drat adrenal glands, took a full new set of images and never bothered to ask me if I even have adrenal glands. Ah, the joys of Addison's Disease. Still had to get the proper chest CT a week later.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 4, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kilo147 posted:

Between the growths in my liver, growths near the pancreas, and the growths in my lungs, I'm getting a biannual battery of tests to make sure nothing changes. So far it looks like hemangiomas and boring lung nodules, but without biopsying them there's no way to be 100% sure. It's funny, if I were a radiation worker, I'd be pulled from the job by now thanks to that amount of radiation.

Sounds like at that point the risk of cancer is less than the risk of not knowing what's going on with that stuff.

Have you ever had a PET scan? Those give a pretty big dose but the science behind them is way cool

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

BattleMaster posted:

Sounds like at that point the risk of cancer is less than the risk of not knowing what's going on with that stuff.

Have you ever had a PET scan? Those give a pretty big dose but the science behind them is way cool

So far my risk factor is increased about 1.6% over my lifetime of scans. With those odds, the Addison's will get me first.

No PET scan, (un)fortunately. It sounds cool as hell.

edit: Oh, yeah! I was a gamma emitter for a bit. Had to keep away from pets and children. Radioactive Iodine Uptake Scan and all that. Diagnosed my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis that put me in the hospital for a week, though.

Goddamn, I've been exposed to a fair bit of radiation, haven't I?

Double edit! Machines are more efficient now, those numbers are a smidge too high, more like ≈40 for YTD and ≈60 by year's end

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 4, 2016

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kilo147 posted:

Goddamn, I've been exposed to a fair bit of radiation, haven't I?

What superpowers did it give you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zopotantor posted:

What superpowers did it give you?

Well you know how Dr Bruce Banner can grow extremely large and strong? Pretty much exactly the same as that except on a really really tiny localized scale inside his organs.