Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I still want a mod that makes a sawed off shotgun count as a handgun for Gunslinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

It's a crime that you can't one hand it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Davoren posted:

It's a crime that you can't one hand it.

I'm ready to buy RE5 again for the new consoles just so I can play Chris "Boulder Punch" Redfield one handing the Hydra again. That was the coolest, most fun and satisfying sawed off shotgun gaming has ever made, in my book.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, the only correct way to handle any kind of sawn off in a video game is in one hand, with your arm fully extended, and the Hydra has all that and more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

One of the reasons I hated Helena in RE6 was because the Hydra was her exclusive thing and she's using it wrong!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Lotish posted:

One of the reasons I hated Helena in RE6 was because the Hydra was her exclusive thing and she's using it wrong!

Maybe you were using Helena wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDvqgD_t7k

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

GUNS TIME once more.

First off, If you miss the Hunting Revolver from FNV if you have the Far Harbour DLC you can go nuts once more pretending your Charles Bronson gunning down some no good punks.

I've been playing as a nothing-but-pistols guy (level 160 what up) and was pretty upset that the only guns I've been using since like level 30 were Deliverer and a Two-Shot .44. I went ahead and installed this .50 Desert Eagle and it's beautiful. I figured out how to add legendary amods to weapons and turned it into a Two-Shot and it's been very good to me, doing only about 5% more damage than my Two-Shot .44 but offering a max clip of 14 and a faster reload compared to the .44. Also it's gold!

I will check out this Revolver too now!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

This would probably be my preferred answer but would be a lot of work, and pretty static (from game to game).

I'd have to basically create the settlements (and all the upgrades) in advance in the CK and gate them being activated with a ton of triggers.

Might be interesting though to tie settlers coming in and giving themselves jobs (and activating the pieces of the town) with things like setting up new trade routes, successfully fending off am attack, length of time the settlement has been around etc. This way you could see settlements expand and get the benefit even if you're playing as say the BOS, the settlements would grow even if you're not 'allied '.

Might run with that, we will see.

Would it be easier to use the quest system? "Sanctuary needs beds!" Pops up and I give Preston or some settler six tons of cloth they can use to build with as part of the quest and then they go off and spawn a bed? They can drop the bed anywhere. If I don't like it there I can always move it to a roof top so it's out of the way. :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Clearly, because I didn't know she could even do that. I wish she was more like that for just regular shooting at least, because that's kind of cool, and her regular shooting animation is blah.

I saw there was a mod to give the game a cover system like many third person shooters; is there one that gives you sweet action dodge rolls?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 3, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Like how Leon's dual pistols have that fast combo, Helena has one for the Hydra. RE6 has some surprisingly deep and very satisfying mechanics, and not a single one of them involve just shooting guns. Jake's martial arts moves get crazy but now I'm really getting off topic.

Basically if you're taking cover so you can shoot things you're not going to have much fun, guns exist to set things up for melee kills and such.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Otacon posted:

I've been playing as a nothing-but-pistols guy (level 160 what up) and was pretty upset that the only guns I've been using since like level 30 were Deliverer and a Two-Shot .44. I went ahead and installed this .50 Desert Eagle and it's beautiful. I figured out how to add legendary amods to weapons and turned it into a Two-Shot and it's been very good to me, doing only about 5% more damage than my Two-Shot .44 but offering a max clip of 14 and a faster reload compared to the .44. Also it's gold!

I will check out this Revolver too now!

Try the Mauser one I posted as well too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Try the Mauser one I posted as well too.

Yes, I've been using it and it's quite nice.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
All this gunchat and no one mentioned yet that the Modern Firearms mod was removed yesterday for asset theft? I got the latest version and I'm enjoying it a lot, I unleveled all the lists so raiders and supahmutants are spawning with massive 2H machineguns that look like they should be mounted on a tank.

Lotish posted:

I'm ready to buy RE5 again for the new consoles just so I can play Chris "Boulder Punch" Redfield one handing the Hydra again. That was the coolest, most fun and satisfying sawed off shotgun gaming has ever made, in my book.

Good news!

There's a short-handled version but I don't think you could tell the game to treat it like a one-handed pistol because the animations wouldn't be right. You could always slap a shotgun receiver on the flaregun at least.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

All this gunchat and no one mentioned yet that the Modern Firearms mod was removed yesterday for asset theft? I got the latest version and I'm enjoying it a lot, I unleveled all the lists so raiders and supahmutants are spawning with massive 2H machineguns that look like they should be mounted on a tank.

Ooh, how do you do that? That sounds neat. Potentially game breaking but cool.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kill a smug Guy Fawkes loving Anarchist, take and wear his gear.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Good news!

There's a short-handled version but I don't think you could tell the game to treat it like a one-handed pistol because the animations wouldn't be right. You could always slap a shotgun receiver on the flaregun at least.

Interesting, I never thought about using flaregun animation for a pistol type shotgun, I have some ideas now.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Saint Sputnik posted:

God sticking the artillery flares in the flare gun should have been a thing from the get go

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lotish posted:

Ooh, how do you do that? That sounds neat. Potentially game breaking but cool.

There are some mods that unlevel the game in various ways, like enemy types or their loadouts. If you want to tinker with it yourself, the easiest way is to find a mod you want to use that already adds weapons to raiders, supermutants, etc., then open it in FO4Edit and look at the leveled lists. They have names like LLI_Raider_Weapons_Boss and so on, and contain entries for individual weapons or weapon categories. Each one has a player level assigned to it, so just change that value to 1 in every entry and you'll see big machine guns at level one. If you want to add some LLs or specific weapons to your new list, find the vanilla entry for those and choose "copy as override into" and copy it to the mod you have loaded.

Davoren posted:

Interesting, I never thought about using flaregun animation for a pistol type shotgun, I have some ideas now.

I'd like to see someone recreate the one-shot shotgun pistol from Metro 2033, surprised we haven't seen it yet.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Flare gun animations would be perfect for that by the looks of things.

Just done some quick and dirty tests, flare gun animations look super weird on the double barrel, only shows one shell and its clipping out the back of the receiver and has you pulling back an invisible hammer. Adding the shotgun animations back in seems to override the pistol grip anim I specified, so I don't get to do it the lazy way.

Some progress seems to have been made with custom animations, but animating is not something I know an awful lot about. I'm going to look at the tools involved tomorrow and see if there's an easy way to stitch the parts of the vanilla animations I need together.

Then I guess I need to find a way to switch animations for the three barrel weapon mod I want to add to this thing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are there any fully functional all-in-one UI mods yet? Pipware seems to be horribly outdated at this point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some goon wanted a mod that made Home Plate less sucky, including connecting it to supply lines. Here it is, enjoy.

Also, did anyone miss the Caravan Shotgun? It's back now!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deakul posted:

Are there any fully functional all-in-one UI mods yet? Pipware seems to be horribly outdated at this point.

Like def_ui? Or something different?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Davoren posted:

Flare gun animations would be perfect for that by the looks of things.

Just done some quick and dirty tests, flare gun animations look super weird on the double barrel, only shows one shell and its clipping out the back of the receiver and has you pulling back an invisible hammer. Adding the shotgun animations back in seems to override the pistol grip anim I specified, so I don't get to do it the lazy way.

Some progress seems to have been made with custom animations, but animating is not something I know an awful lot about. I'm going to look at the tools involved tomorrow and see if there's an easy way to stitch the parts of the vanilla animations I need together.

Then I guess I need to find a way to switch animations for the three barrel weapon mod I want to add to this thing.

Godspeed on gods work.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Azhais posted:

Like def_ui? Or something different?

Oh poo poo, that's exactly what I wanted actually. Thanks!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

This is awesome, and I fixed the problem I was having with it.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 4, 2016

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

Woah, I like Modern Firearms, glad I got one of the more recent releases, I'll put the one I got up to share somewhere later,
Adjusting LL's seems a lot easier with xedit, I tend to remove the board and simple sledge, the pipe weapons and double barrel, as well as the Thompson lookalike, and replacing them with modded melee weapons.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Extracted animations.ba2, nothing that obviously screams out 'weapons' to me, anyone know where weapon animation data is kept?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks for the carry weight advanced way earlier I asked about guys.

Also, are there any tools/logging I can check to see what mod is causing save corruption? I keep getting a bit in then the game CTDs on every save load, I suspect its the war of the commonwealth mod?

But I played another game with it and no problems there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tired of the tickle minigun that eats ammo like sweets? this is a mod that tweaks those problems and boosts the damage so the weapon is useful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

After loving around and trying different processes for days, I finally got the custom helmet in-game! And it's rigged properly to the head! And I even managed to properly set up the bgsm file so the texture works!

Except now if I rotate the camera to a low angle it disappears. Also disappears when I zoom in far enough. God damnit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somebody did their own version of a certain automatic Soviet Sniper Rifle if anyone is interested now.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Heck, just convert that minigun into a rifle!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Babe Magnet posted:

Except now if I rotate the camera to a low angle it disappears. Also disappears when I zoom in far enough. God damnit.

I'm no expert on Fallout modding, but that sounds like object occlusion. Basically if the pivot/root of an object gets off screen, the game makes it invisible for the purposes of performance. This can be an issue if the root isn't at 0,0 coordinates; meaning if you import an object and the root/pivot isn't off center, when the pivot is off camera the object may disappear, even though you were still looking right at it.

I have no idea if this helps or not, but best of luck. I'd love to try and add something to Fallout, but I've been spoilt by Unreal and it's crazy simple (but insanely powerful) editor.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that was my first idea, too, but every vanilla mesh I import has the pivot at origin with the mesh at head-height (the same as my own custom mesh), so if that's the issue I don't know how I would fix it.

Going through the steps with the pivot centered on the mesh is giving me weird errors, I'll try again in the morning I guess.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Is it really hard and uncommon for people to create new art assets in mods? I was looking, and it seems like there aren't any mods for different types of guard posts. That really surprised me, because with all the other mods available, it looks really loving weird to plop a big wood, steel, and barbed wire pike of junk in the middle of everything.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

It can fire railway spikes! Finally, Quake's Super Nailgun is now in Fallout.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

AwkwardKnob posted:

Is it really hard and uncommon for people to create new art assets in mods? I was looking, and it seems like there aren't any mods for different types of guard posts. That really surprised me, because with all the other mods available, it looks really loving weird to plop a big wood, steel, and barbed wire pike of junk in the middle of everything.

I'd love to make something for Fallout, but I'm put off because 1) no one seems to know exactly the best way to do it and 2) it's a very hacky sort of way of going around, with unofficial tools and poo poo. Very cobbled together and I don't like having to deal with lots of different tools. Like I said I'm spoiled by Unreal (which can directly import .obj or .fbx files, none of this .nif garbage).

edit: but then I might just be wrong about the whole thing and it's easier than I imagine, if anyone has any video tutorials feel free to share them!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

AwkwardKnob posted:

It's hard and uncommon for people to create good new art assets in mods.
So many new guns, so many which look like something from the Unity asset store.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

It can fire railway spikes! Finally, Quake's Super Nailgun is now in Fallout.

It gets added into the enemy weapon lists too. This resulted in a super mutant with a railway spike one, and if he shot you once you'd just be perma-staggered from the following spray and instantly die. :I

AwkwardKnob posted:

Homemaker actually has a guard post that's just a rug, so you could just plop that behind some other prop instead of using the normal posts if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

AwkwardKnob posted:

I believe I've seen at least two that add guard posts in the form of rugs, bottle caps and the like, but I don't remember their names.

• Locked thread