Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

I like you now. :hfive: for snow crash

tracer's blinks are powered by bananarium and peanut butterom, and when that baby's flux capacitor hits 88 mph, watch out

tracer's blinks are actually powered by cheeky nandos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i definitely like how Torb's ult is just an install super, i want more of that (but not too much more or it wouldn't be unique)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

It would be super annoying/disruptive but it'd be neat if she could freeze time for like 3 seconds and do as much damage as she can before everyone unfreezes

I think Mei has that covered already.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Like even if it was something like...Tracer moves her arm really fast and creates a small disruptive pocket of space-time that becomes unstable and explodes after a short timer, changing absolutely nothing about the ability but its flavour it'd work better.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
its the uh... stored energy she generates from doing time stuff shoved into a grenade

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
tracer's ult is a

:c00l:

time bomb

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lady Naga posted:

Like even if it was something like...Tracer moves her arm really fast and creates a small disruptive pocket of space-time that becomes unstable and explodes after a short timer, changing absolutely nothing about the ability but its flavour it'd work better.

Blizzard developer: Ok ok, fine JEEZ... *rubs temples and hems and haws* Ok, I can give her... TWO time bombs, happy now?

Eonwe posted:

tracer's blinks are actually powered by cheeky nandos

Top, let's smash it.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like to use the effectiveness of enemy widows to gauge my mmr, seems to be pretty reliable until ranked comes out.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Last night after a group disbanded i played a few more solo queue matches and ended up playing symmetra as only support on Dorado defense, with no tank.. and somehow we crushed it, they didn't even get to the first checkpoint. No idea what the gently caress happened that game.

well thats my story cya

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iron Man Unibeam. Straight ahead, one shot, no AoE.

But if it hits, it reverses the target back to the start of the match and they lose all their kill credit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What are the characters you find yourself not playing at all?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Solumin posted:

I think Mei has that covered already.

Oh well yeah, I hadn't thought of that.

Then maybe her ultimate is travelling to an alternate timeline where her team is winning

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Put Ken Masters with a gun in this game Blizz

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Tracer and Hanzo largely. I'd rather play Reaper and Widowmaker in almost any situation those characters are good but that's just personal taste. (And I barely play Reaper and Widowmaker anyway, support 4 lyfe.)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lady Naga posted:

also what you're describing again is literally another Jojo stand user

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Countblanc posted:

please do not mention Ken Masters in this most sacred of threads

photoshop of sf5 ken's face on tracer

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

reinhardt is just not my style of play, same with symmetra

I'll play a bit of torbjorn and widowmaker, but not a ton

the rest of the heroes I all like playing and pretty consistently try to play

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Top 5 Ken Masters

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Ken with an AK-47 in one hand, throwing hadokens with his other hand. He can shoryuken to deal damage and jump up small ledges. There's no cooldown on it of course.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mate it's hard to explain mate it's just like one day you'll just be wif your mates having a look in jd and you might fancy curry club at the 'Spoons but your lad Calum who's an absolute ledge and the archbishop of banterbury will be like 'brevs lets have a cheky nandos instead." and you'll think "Top. Let's smash it."

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I finally bought the game so now I can join in on the complaining.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't played Mei or D.Va at all because I played them enough in beta to know I don't like them. I played Bastion 4 minutes because I know he's weaker than people think and nearly every time my team has a Bastion we lose. I've barely played Zenyatta because he is garbage right now. I've only played 33 minutes of Widow because I usually just pick her for offense, check for any free shots, drop someone and swap to attacker.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Countblanc posted:

there's definitely certain tools a character can have that makes them easier to stomp people with at lower skill levels. a fighting game character with lots of super armor is going to ruin bad people's days a lot more than a pixie who needs to drill combos to be even moderately effective.

that said there can also be characters whose toolkits offer growth even when their entry point is strong. TF2's Soldier is a terror in newbie vs newbie games, and he's also one of the strongest competitive classes because of how his mechanics let you grow as a player.

there's also something of a trap where a character being difficult to learn doesn't necessarily translate into them being super good. the Spy is an example of this, where you need a lot more map knowledge, game sense, and honestly fundamental fps skills than a Heavy to have similar results, but you still probably aren't gonna get to main Spy in a non-highlander competitive format no matter how many hours you put into the character. similarly a character with "easy" tools may just do well in higher level play because having easy tools means you have reliable tools - mccree's fan the hammer is a good example. Ryu is consistently good in street fighter even though his kit is one of the easiest to understand because his tools are so universally strong.

genji may somewhat fall into the latter category depending on how the meta shakes out. he'll never be BAD in the hands of someone who knows how to use him, but that same player may win more games with a simpler character who gives you more freedom to not be on your AAA-game 100% of the time.

of course - I don't think "easier to play" by default means "will eventually fall off," because sometimes they don't (often they don't). Ryu is real good in most of the Street Fighter games because his toolkit is simple but effective and reliable. he has neat-o tricks in virtually every installment, but he's effective from the jump, as well (also ken rules man jesus gently caress)

McCree, Reinhardt and Widowmaker all fit this mold pretty well, where they're easy to start playing and remain generally effective either through the merit of their simple-but-effective tools, or because as you level up your game they allow for growth

Reaper and Soldier: 76 currently fall into what I was talking about before, where they eventually hit a plateau no matter how good you get at Overwatch, and remaining effective with them over another hero becomes situational or more difficult

I think Genji is more like the Scout than the Spy from TF2, where picking him up and trying to be immediately good with him will result in bad times while you get endlessly mowed down by the Heavy/Bastion or the Engineer/Torbjorn, but once you have a modicum of skill those matchups become almost trivially easy

the most Spy-like/C.Viper-ish/F.A.N.G.-esque character I see in Overwatch to me is Zenyatta, where you need a pretty high level of skill just to not suck and even once you're really good he's still just kinda poo poo - which pains me because I love Zenyatta

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 3, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just got back from the Blizzard meeting and I'm happy to announce that Anji Mito from Guilty Gear X is going to be the next Overwatch hero.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Golem II posted:

I finally bought the game so now I can join in on the complaining.

heres a few topics to start you off: bastion op, mccree op, the arrow hitboxes are bullshit, 20 tick server???, widowmaker has no counter, matchmaking is specifically making me lose, no one plays on the objective but me, egypt/hanamura are impossible on offense, dva is actually really strong you guys aren't using her properly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dick Trauma posted:

Dva, Mei, Pharah

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Every character but Mercy

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

I just got back from the Blizzard meeting and I'm happy to announce that Anji Mito from Guilty Gear X is going to be the next Overwatch hero.

Should've been the bed from Xrd.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lady Naga posted:

Also I don't know how much this was talked about in beta but like Tracer's ultimate is totally fine from a gameplay standpoint but thematically I have no clue what throwing a grenade with the weakest arm in the world has to do with The Girl Who Lept Through Time.

She's got a sinister past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-EGj2qdtxA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Don't shoot the messenger.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

ive only played mei once

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

Don't shoot the messenger.

You'll never be a community manager with that attitude.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

i've been trying this out a bit with mumble friends and I'm starting to think that one of the best strats for pubs right now is "don't show respect until the opponents earn it." not like, bming or picking gimmick 5 mei/1 lucio comps, but basically ask yourself "do i assume my opponents are playing well/'correctly' right now?" and if the answer is yes even though you haven't actually seen proof of that you need to go a bit more ham.

a great example of this is offense on first point Hanamura, with the one chokepoint gate. the "proper" play would be to spam down the opposing reinhardt's shield, get some sort of pick with a widow/roadhog/etc., then push in with a support ult, or some variation thereof. what've i've found though is that people seem to just take this for granted and will stall at that chokepoint and not accomplish anything. instead try speedboosting with lucio after that second corner and plowing into them with a zarya and mccree or something - you'll probably end up just walking right over them in my experience because people respect you too much and don't expect you to just violate the unwritten rules of overwatch chokepoints like that. even if you don't wipe them you'll probably trade and the walk back is definitely shorter for offense than defense there.

it's not a perfect strat (in fact it relies on being kinda gimmicky and bad) but i've gotten a lot of mileage out of it if i let my team know that's what's going on. i've found it often doesn't work as hot against turret classes for whatever reason, probably because you have to split your attention, but give it a shot and see how it works out for you!

Picking a Winston/Genji/Tracer to evade past the choke on anubis is legit a good way to make defense start to split their attention and fall apart in pubs: either nobody goes to the point and you get 1+ free ticks, or everybody goes to deal with it and your team makes 1-2 picks at the main gate and they fall apart.

Numbani is probably the map where I see this happen most often.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I finally got the fabled team kill with Pharah's ult without having to give my life, winning us point A on Anubis.

PotG went to the enemy Reinhardt, who played whack-a-mole with our entire team on point B as our Mercy rez'd us.

I have to wonder what could have been if we didn't have a Mercy, Lucio, and Symmetra on attack.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dick Trauma posted:

torb

hes gross

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
lol first time trying Reaper and I get potg and team kill on Ilios. That dude is fuuun.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Anyone notice FPS stuttering even with decent ping? FPS monitors keep me at a constant 100+ FPS all the time but sometimes on the bigger maps like Numbani I'll notice a constant stutter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ularg posted:

Anyone notice FPS stuttering even with decent ping? FPS monitors keep me at a constant 100+ FPS all the time but sometimes on the bigger maps like Numbani I'll notice a constant stutter.

How constant is constant? I get the occasional hiccup when someone switches heroes and it has to load them in.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

torb

hes gross

I dont like his aesthetics at all but the game has seen it fit to give me 3 of his legendary skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont like his aesthetics at all but the game has seen it fit to give me 3 of his legendary skins.

i keep getting his victory emotes :negative:

im a very vain person and i dont care and torb goes against everything in my vanity induced religion