Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

World Famous W posted:

Yep, it will override the existing brand. It will also get another +2 on it, so that is always nice.

If ya' got an eveningstar laying around, it probably is the better choice for the blessing though.

Don't have an eveningstar yet but I also don't have enough enchant weapon scrolls to take the whip up to +9 so I'm holding off until I really need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just started up a TeAE. Did they change the autotarget with spells like Shock or so that they will target a wall if it will get the extra damage bounce in, cause it seems to be doing that somewhat and I like it. Maybe it always did and I never noticed.

Nanomashoes posted:

Don't have an eveningstar yet but I also don't have enough enchant weapon scrolls to take the whip up to +9 so I'm holding off until I really need it.
Yeah, the Scourge is 12 base damage with .5 min delay compared to the Eveningstars 15 with .7. If you are going TSO I assume you are doing extended and I always want the beefiest weapon I can have for there.

The Scourge will work fine too, I just not as big a fan after doing TSO extended a few times now.

EDIT: Had base damage slightly off.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 3, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think you should just invest in the scourge, they're quite good(arguably better than an eveningstar against everything that isn't high AC which isn't much) and eveningstars are rare.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Still need 2 more enchant weapon scrolls so it's still anyone's game.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just curious, you trying to get it to +7 or +9 before blessing them? Cause you will get a free +2 on top of the blessing.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Doesn't matter now because I killed the royal jelly then died to the jellies that spawned afterwards because my berserk potion ran out and I got shot going up some stairs I blinked to by a corroding jelly that rolled high on damage and gently caress everything right now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

All I had to do was drink a potion of cancellation like 10 turns earlier gently caress me I'm so dumb.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nanomashoes posted:

Doesn't matter now because I killed the royal jelly then died to the jellies that spawned afterwards because my berserk potion ran out and I got shot going up some stairs I blinked to by a corroding jelly that rolled high on damage and gently caress everything right now.

Berserk potions are usually a Bad Idea this late in the game. Just use Might and Haste, you get everything except the bonus HP with none of the drawbacks.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Berserk potions are usually a Bad Idea this late in the game. Just use Might and Haste, you get everything except the bonus HP with none of the drawbacks.

It's actually the second time in a row I've had a strong character die in the same circumstances so clearly I learn nothing and my only consolation is that my ghost is probably wicked strong and gonna kill some poor fool. Speaking of, is there any way to see your ghosts win/loss rate? If not, that should totally be a feature added, or just a little message you get when your ghost kills a guy/dies.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nanomashoes posted:

It's actually the second time in a row I've had a strong character die in the same circumstances so clearly I learn nothing and my only consolation is that my ghost is probably wicked strong and gonna kill some poor fool. Speaking of, is there any way to see your ghosts win/loss rate? If not, that should totally be a feature added, or just a little message you get when your ghost kills a guy/dies.

You can do !gkills in irc to see who your ghost has killed. Not sure if you can get win/loss tough.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus, there is some strange bug with the offline mode skill panel - sometimes it won't show which skills are trained, i.e. they are grey but when I click them they go straight to priority, and I have seen this happen sometimes straight at new game with stealth and dodge on my MiFi allegedly not being trained at all, though I know for sure that it does train them by default.

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, if you're using shields there's not ever any (worthwhile)reason to get more than 16 M&F skill.

Am I correct in saying you have like no dodging? (Not used to offline's interface.) You should get a hefty amount of dodging. Like, probably at least 10 or so. I'd train nothing but dodging and invo for a bit if you're playing an invo god like oka(good to get like 6-7 invo with him).
I'm Okawaru MiFi, and I have no dodging, yes. I don't know if dodging is useful for me, so I disable it and stealth at the start of the game, thinking that no way my big hulk smash hulk crush guy needs dodging. :v:

In other news, first god gifted weapon, and I'm not sure what to think. Here's rest of gear (I have some jewellery but it's nondescript garbage, mostly).

Thoughts?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 3, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you pretty much always want some dodging to some degree. how much is the real question, but ignoring it entirely isn't the best course of action and getting like 10 or so in it doesn't require a lot of exp and will give you at least some sort of bonus.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also a resounding meh on the flail. You've got rN+++ already, venom isn't a great brand for someone looking to shove someone's face in quickly (great for early game though!), MR- is not a pleasant penalty and the big Strength number is merely a bonus since you're a Minotaur and are naturally swole. Stick with the morningstar of crushing.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 3, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Get dodging as a MiFi. I like to keep it about even with armor.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Enchant armor those boots as soon as you find one because you're never taking them off. I would use the +9 morningstar.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you've got quite heavy armor, then armor skill is more valuable. Otherwise, yeah, definitely get a bunch of both. AC and EV are both really good to have and there's nothing binding you to just one!

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 3, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Already level 4 of Evasion, there's lots of "training partners" in this vault on Snake:4. Almost died to whatever it was constantly spawning nagas all around me, used tele scroll that put me in the middle of the vault :v: managed to fumbled out on potions and another tele before death into otherwise clear Snake:4, so now I'm slowly advancing and hugging corners.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Guardian serpents are the guys that blink enemies up close to surround you(if they can see other enemies as well as you), which means they're often a good first target.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Guardian serpents are the guys that blink enemies up close to surround you(if they can see other enemies as well as you), which means they're often a good first target.
Alright, I'll try to pick them out if I can.

Should I bother with this:

Edit: Nevermind, I guess.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nanomashoes posted:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can do !gkills in irc to see who your ghost has killed. Not sure if you can get win/loss tough.
Also this page has them. It is just pulling from the bots though.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

World Famous W posted:

sweet, one of my ghosts has killed Lasty. Probably the 12 runer I lost in Hell.

edit: wait something seems weird on that page - it says I was killed by ghosts of Raderak, Lasty, flyleaff, Stendarr, and dornbeast (the dornbeast kill is on a separate row). However, it also says that my ghosts have killed all 5 of them. What are the odds of that? Is something funky here?

(I'm patheticliltramp on crawl in case anyone wants to look)

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 3, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

kalstrams posted:

Already level 4 of Evasion, there's lots of "training partners" in this vault on Snake:4. Almost died to whatever it was constantly spawning nagas all around me, used tele scroll that put me in the middle of the vault :v: managed to fumbled out on potions and another tele before death into otherwise clear Snake:4, so now I'm slowly advancing and hugging corners.

Well as Grinder Gecko says, ABD (always be dodging)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kalstrams posted:

Should I bother with this:

For next time, Regeneration is always useful and Spectral Weapon is pretty sweet even after the nerf. With heavy armor you might just decide to stick to use invo/evo to compliment melee, though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pathetic little tramp posted:

sweet, one of my ghosts has killed Lasty. Probably the 12 runer I lost in Hell.

edit: wait something seems weird on that page - it says I was killed by ghosts of Raderak, Lasty, flyleaff, Stendarr, and dornbeast (the dornbeast kill is on a separate row). However, it also says that my ghosts have killed all 5 of them. What are the odds of that? Is something funky here?

(I'm patheticliltramp on crawl in case anyone wants to look)
That page has two tables on it, one indexed by killer and the other by victim. Perhaps you're unknowingly looking at both.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That page has two tables on it, one indexed by killer and the other by victim. Perhaps you're unknowingly looking at both.

Ah yes indeed that makes more sense. It's pretty hard to see there are two tables, that's a fuckload of data.

The good news is that means I have actually only ever once been killed by a player ghost - dornbeast; and I have in fact killed Lasty once. Toot toot.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kalstrams posted:

PleasingFungus, there is some strange bug with the offline mode skill panel - sometimes it won't show which skills are trained, i.e. they are grey but when I click them they go straight to priority, and I have seen this happen sometimes straight at new game with stealth and dodge on my MiFi allegedly not being trained at all, though I know for sure that it does train them by default.

hm. that sounds exactly like automatic skill training behaving normally for skills it's decided not to train, but if you get a save where it happens, send it over and i'll take a look.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

World Famous W posted:

Wow my ghosts have killed 57 people (I die a lot)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm really glad you can set Manual skill training as default because automatic was cool at first, but I got tired of it pretty quickly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm really glad you can set Manual skill training as default because automatic was cool at first, but I got tired of it pretty quickly.

How do you do this?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
code:
 default_manual_training = true
in your init/rc file.

Also, it is useful to add
code:
#Auto open skills on new char
{
local need_skills_opened = true
function ready()
  if you.turns() == 0 and need_skills_opened then
    need_skills_opened = false
    crawl.sendkeys("m")
  end
end
}
so it will auto open your skills when you start a new game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

hm. that sounds exactly like automatic skill training behaving normally for skills it's decided not to train, but if you get a save where it happens, send it over and i'll take a look.
Started new game as MiFi:

Clicked Dodge and Stealth each once:

If you need a save for this, let me know how to find it and I'll start a new game again. :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My New Year resolution is to play more often on web version.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Started new game as MiFi:

Clicked Dodge and Stealth each once:

If you need a save for this, let me know how to find it and I'll start a new game again. :v:

Tested, and i can reproduce this, but as far as i can tell there's no bug. The game just does not start out training stealth or dodging for mifi.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RIP boguary. :(

I liked the high risk high reward ossuary.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Tested, and i can reproduce this, but as far as i can tell there's no bug. The game just does not start out training stealth or dodging for mifi.
But why does it go straight to enhanced, not simple training first? Why clicking that yellow 0 rod skill in the upper right corner once does nothing, but clicking once more makes it blue Am I misunderstanding the colour scheme here?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Everything starts at 'simple training', which is better termed 'enabled'. That means that autotraining is allowed to put points into it. Clicking it once puts it into focused mode (blue), which requires autotraining to put points into it; clicking it again disables it entirely, meaning that even if autotraining thinks you *should* be putting points into that skill, it won't.

This is much easier to understand in the full 'm' screen; the tiles-specific pocket-ui doesn't have enough space to show it that well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Everything starts at 'simple training', which is better termed 'enabled'. That means that autotraining is allowed to put points into it. Clicking it once puts it into focused mode (blue), which requires autotraining to put points into it; clicking it again disables it entirely, meaning that even if autotraining thinks you *should* be putting points into that skill, it won't.

This is much easier to understand in the full 'm' screen; the tiles-specific pocket-ui doesn't have enough space to show it that well.
I see. I still don't understand, though, how it is intended behaviour for rod skill to not to change graphical display once it is enabled and graphically cycle only between disabled and focused, as well as for dodging and stealth to not have graphical representation for just enabled, while grpahical indicators of armour/fighting/m&f seem to have three graphically distinct states.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I had an idea of what to do about Nemelex Xobeh. Seeing as we have Pakellas to be our Evocations god now, why not make decks purely come from Nemelex and cause their power to scale with Invocations instead of Evocations? That way you don't need to balance Nemelex around characters gaining a lot of extra benefits along with his cards becoming stronger from Evocations skill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That would just make Nem worse and she doesn't need a nerf. I don't really think she steps on the toes of Pakellas just because she also scales off evocations. Like, Okawaru and Trog are both gods of beating the poo poo out of stuff but they still have clear roles.

The only change Nem needs is for cards to not be a complete pain to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Internet Kraken posted:

That would just make Nem worse and she doesn't need a nerf. I don't really think she steps on the toes of Pakellas just because she also scales off evocations. Like, Okawaru and Trog are both gods of beating the poo poo out of stuff but they still have clear roles.

The only change Nem needs is for cards to not be a complete pain to manage.

It would allow them to balance Nemelex purely around his own abilities instead of balancing him around double dipping on the skill, though. If pumping evo didn't boost both your cards AND evocables, they would be able to buff his cards.

• Locked thread