Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

How did it end? I got a ways through it and got bored, but I'm curious how it wrapped up.

Fukunaga gets cut out which should tell you all you need to know :mad:

But from what I remember - The whole thing was an experiment based on the novel this one guy wrote like a decade ago and then got thrown in prison for. It was supposed to prove that people need to work together to survive or something? I just remember being disappointed at how it went

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It was all a social experiment set up by rich and powerful people for their own amusement. The characters determine to expose everything, they film a documentary about the Liar Game, but when it was supposed to air it doesn't because the rich and powerful people don't want it to. Literally "but the world refused to change". The end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That kind of owns. For once, the bad guys win? Fairly unique these days, if nothing else.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It sucks rear end and managed to be even worse than the ending to One Outs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

At least it sets the bar low so when Kaiji ends after 42069 more chapters it will easily look better by comparison no matter what

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Whatever, me and the rest of humanity will have long drowned in the increased sea levels of the post north pole world when Fukumoto finished Kaiji up on Mt. Fuji.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

What! I liked the first 30 or so chapters until the translations ran out

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Whatever, me and the rest of humanity will have long drowned in the increased sea levels of the post north pole world when Fukumoto finished Kaiji up on Mt. Fuji.

The consequences of Kaiji losing the final gamble...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there an ending to a series worse than usagi drop's?

To this day, it still makes me mad whenever I remember the turn it took.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think we can safely say "No" to that question.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Srice posted:

At least it sets the bar low so when Kaiji ends after 42069 more chapters it will easily look better by comparison no matter what

nothing to really worry about since fkmt always delivers good endings.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

nothing to really worry about since fkmt always delivers good endings.

Oh yeah for sure, I put that poorly

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They should've switched the endings for Shamo and Liar Game

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
oh poo poo the Narutaru/Bokurano guy has a new series.
looks like he ended his last crappy one which was just basically Destroy and Revolution except not as good (which is funny because D&R ain't that good these days anyway)
apparently weird and sci-fi
I'm in
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Futago-no-Teikoku

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Been re-reading Dorohedoro now that it's back underway, and realized I had some questions that I was not clear on, not sure if I missed some detail, or if they are going to be explained in the future:

spoilers from earlier chapters (up to 62ish)

1. Kaiman's head in formaline gets stolen and reappears, but is this trip ever explained? Is it just Asu doing #demonthings?
2. I'm assuming when En is fighting Kaiman at the hot springs, he wins, but Kaiman still survives because of his weird semi-immortality poo poo going on, but this has never been clear to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Been re-reading Dorohedoro now that it's back underway, and realized I had some questions that I was not clear on, not sure if I missed some detail, or if they are going to be explained in the future:

spoilers from earlier chapters (up to 62ish)

1. Kaiman's head in formaline gets stolen and reappears, but is this trip ever explained? Is it just Asu doing #demonthings?
2. I'm assuming when En is fighting Kaiman at the hot springs, he wins, but Kaiman still survives because of his weird semi-immortality poo poo going on, but this has never been clear to me.

I want to say that Risu was told to get the formalin Kaiman head or something. I'm pretty sure it was explained but can't remember if that's the explanation, though. As for 2, yeah, I'm guessing it's just related to his weird pseudo-immortality business. I just attribute Kaiman/Ai/Aikawa's weirdness to a combination of bizarre effects from the black sludge, Ai's surgery, and other magical weirdness (but mostly the sludge).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there an ending to a series worse than usagi drop's?

To this day, it still makes me mad whenever I remember the turn it took.

I never read it but am gonna go ahead and say that Shamo or Gantz were on par.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The ending to Gantz was a perfect fit for the rest of the manga and is in no way comparable to Usagi Drop.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gonna have to say Last Wish to the Shinigami. The whole series is about a central mystery the main characters are trying to figure out, but then the series got cancelled. So the last chapter is literally just going over all the clues and the last page is a flowchart with "You figure it out" at the bottom.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

RatHat posted:

Gonna have to say Last Wish to the Shinigami. The whole series is about a central mystery the main characters are trying to figure out, but then the series got cancelled. So the last chapter is literally just going over all the clues and the last page is a flowchart with "You figure it out" at the bottom.

Lol yeah that was pretty fuckin' bad

Just gimmie the answer you rear end in a top hat!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It may have fit or whatever if you wanna argue that, but boy did Shigurui's ending feel like a disappointing fart after all the build up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really liked it :smith:

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I get real chocked up whenever I see an invader get killed in DDDDDDD :(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I really liked it :smith:

I was just let down the last fight ended so fast it felt like.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yardbomb posted:

I was just let down the last fight ended so fast it felt like.

All the fights in Shigurui end fast, that's the point. Have you never seen a samurai movie before?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RatHat posted:

All the fights in Shigurui end fast, that's the point. Have you never seen a samurai movie before?

Unsatisfyingly fast this time though, I dunno.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Kamiyama continues to be the best girl in Let's Lagoon by a long shot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well gently caress, I saw that someone started translating Oh, My Sweet Alien! again and got excited, and then I went to see how many volumes there are in Japan and discovered that the author died of a brain hemorrhage last october. :smith:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Second Volume of Musume no Iede started getting translated.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Well gently caress, I saw that someone started translating Oh, My Sweet Alien! again and got excited, and then I went to see how many volumes there are in Japan and discovered that the author died of a brain hemorrhage last october. :smith:

Didn't know that he made anything past the baby kidnapping arc. I've just started to follow another series of his and now I'm incredibly sad

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Looks like the kids in Fire Punch were going to be raped by dogs, as predicted by me and other people (since its so obvious). I said "god drat it" out loud. But now they won't be so uh that's good I guess

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

oh poo poo the Narutaru/Bokurano guy has a new series.
looks like he ended his last crappy one which was just basically Destroy and Revolution except not as good (which is funny because D&R ain't that good these days anyway)
apparently weird and sci-fi
I'm in
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Futago-no-Teikoku

Hey this looks like it could be pretty good. Interesting to see him use a fantasy setting as opposed to a contemporary one.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Relin posted:

Looks like the kids in Fire Punch were going to be raped by dogs, as predicted by me and other people (since its so obvious). I said "god drat it" out loud. But now they won't be so uh that's good I guess

please keep me updated on the dog rape manga

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Nobody reading Blue Giant? It's pretty nice, about a guy who falls in love with jazz, and devotes his existence to becoming a saxophonist. 8 volumes out so far, and it got nominated for the Manga Taishou for 2016. Helps to keep a jazz playlist plonking while reading, though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

K. Flaps posted:

I will tolerate not disrespect towards Baseball Death Note

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Relin posted:

Fire Punch is too grimdark for me.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

aw yes new steven universe chapters

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

Kamiyama continues to be the best girl in Let's Lagoon by a long shot.
She's funny and resourceful and all but she also kinda sucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

jon joe posted:

I will tolerate not disrespect towards Baseball Death Note

Tolerate my balls, the ending and the whole last arc of One Outs was crap.