Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay, so it's low hanging fruit.

That's exactly what I read at first glance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Selachian posted:

hmm. I'd never heard of that but it certainly seems to have been a thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Day_(New_York_City)

It's definitely still a thing in Montreal. Everybody moves on Canada Day, and if you're not moving, you're hitting the garage sales of the people who are. Either way, the streets are clogged with cars full of junk.

Hey, you know what I haven't posted in a while? Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

timg because I don't think anybody actually missed it. I know what you're all really here to see.

Ballard Street

I'm going to space these out a bit more instead of posting a big wall. Ballard Street deserves to be savoured.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (June 26, 1943)

Dark! :stare:

You know what I'd love? A Gilchrist commentary on ye olde Nancy strips. "You can't do that in the funny pages! How about you replace Nancy with Fritzi Ritz and the alligator bag with a vinyl record of Crocodile Rock and the alligator in the zoo with tears flowing onto Fritzi's bosom?"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:v:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Oh thank God, I was really needing a good dose of Ballard St. lunacy.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

There's nothing more magical than watching a movie in a bug-infested parking lot on a dirty couch with a bottle of rotgut.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (June 6, 1969)

Entirely-Predictable-Plot-Convergence-Shafterbean

The pastpresent:

Ten years later (but still now):

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 21, 1929)

Everything else eventually...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Oh please let Gunther be doing the old "penis in the popcorn box" trick.

F Minus

Mary Worth

I like to picture Dawn thinking that for any old task.

"I need to go to the bathroom."
And I'll MAKE TIME in my schedule for it!

Rex Morgan MD

His name is Buck, and yet he does not appear to be here to gently caress.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Please, God, if you're there, let the Mary Worth artist draw a scene from X-Men: Apocalypse.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

So, now we get to find out -- will he give Rex a ridiculously generous finder's fee for locating and returning his incredibly valuable comic books, or will he just give all of the comics to Rex right away?

I swear, it's like the guiding principle for this comic is "The least amount of effort possible always produces the greatest reward."

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Worst Comic in the Thread, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's one loving mobile 100 and whatever year old.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Odonata posted:

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Okay listen you jerkwad, it's 'sup.

It's always been 'sup, nobody has ever put a loving T in the word

Even if there were a T in 'sup, it would go after the apostrophe because the apostrophe represents the missing letters in a contraction and there are no letters between "what's" and "up."

I would rather have 9cl in your place on the comics page, and my comics page already prints 9cl. I want them to print it twice, that is preferable to seeing your strip once.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set gets by on a technicality.

Working Daze is back to referencing things from months ago.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is always angry.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

RandomFerret posted:

It's definitely still a thing in Montreal. Everybody moves on Canada Day, and if you're not moving, you're hitting the garage sales of the people who are. Either way, the streets are clogged with cars full of junk.

Canada seems so, shall I say, provincial?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Trilobite posted:

So, now we get to find out -- will he give Rex a ridiculously generous finder's fee for locating and returning his incredibly valuable comic books, or will he just give all of the comics to Rex right away?

I swear, it's like the guiding principle for this comic is "The least amount of effort possible always produces the greatest reward."

This is a new writer, right? Tomorrow's strip is the first time in forever I've actually been interested in Rex Morgan, since it will show if the new writer is going to do anything crazy like introduce stakes and conflict or if the Morgans are going to keep getting showered in praise, love, and cash every time they open their mouths.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

What's the point of creating and introducing two new characters and focusing on them to the exclusion of the original cast if you're just going to make the exact strips as you did before?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomFerret posted:

Okay listen you jerkwad, it's 'sup.

It's always been 'sup, nobody has ever put a loving T in the word

Even if there were a T in 'sup, it would go after the apostrophe because the apostrophe represents the missing letters in a contraction and there are no letters between "what's" and "up."

That has really been annoying me too.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This is a new writer, right? Tomorrow's strip is the first time in forever I've actually been interested in Rex Morgan, since it will show if the new writer is going to do anything crazy like introduce stakes and conflict or if the Morgans are going to keep getting showered in praise, love, and cash every time they open their mouths.
Yeah, the artist took over the writing duties, and two of the very first things he did was say "No, they will not be moving into a lovely old manor stuffed full of antique furniture" (probably because he's the one who has to draw that poo poo every day ;)), and have a skunk spray Sarah Morgan in the goddamn face. It was an auspicious start to his run, I must admit.

It's the pessimist in me that says it won't last, though. What's Rex Morgan, MD about if it isn't a daily affirmation of how secure their entitlement is? It's not like it's going to suddenly start being about medicine or something, right?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Oh now this has gone from bad to poo poo. Hello, Anti-HLTS.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

That's one loving mobile 100 and whatever year old.

Somebody said he's supposed to be 118, right? There's absolutely no way he'd be even remotely that active, not even close.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I would love to have a place that served haggis near me (even though I am pretty sure it's illegal in the states or something). Bud Grace can't even pick a proper Gross Food.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Somebody said he's supposed to be 118, right? There's absolutely no way he'd be even remotely that active, not even close.

Scancarelli wants to keep up the tradition of Gasoline Alley being the first strip where characters aged in real time. And yet, he doesn't want to have to deal with the consequences of said aging.

(there's a metaphor in there somewhere.)

So Walt is the spryest 118-year-old in the world, Skeezix is in his 90s and acts like a fit 50-something, etc.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh yes, we wouldn't want to forget our sacred social traditions in between bouts of music-loving.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

I remember this story, too. It's the inevitable result of running the Sundays and weekdays out of synch when they both tell the same story, eventually the one that was lagging catches up.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Oh! She's a mannequin! At first I thought the edge of that window was the pole holding a street sign and he was looking at a prostitute. A discount prostitute.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So what you're saying, Lynn, is girls are stupid, right? :haw:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

Scancarelli wants to keep up the tradition of Gasoline Alley being the first strip where characters aged in real time. And yet, he doesn't want to have to deal with the consequences of said aging.

Didn't readers complain when he had the nerve to bump Phyllis off? I always thought it was Gasoline Alley fans who were more scared of change than Scancarelli.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (June 7, 1969)

Cranky Let's-Drag-This-poo poo-Outbean

Coming-To-Terms-With-The-Pastshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 15-16, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 23, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Howard Beale posted:

Didn't readers complain when he had the nerve to bump Phyllis off? I always thought it was Gasoline Alley fans who were more scared of change than Scancarelli.

Quick lookups suggest it's more of a weird mixed bag. On the one hand Scancarelli brought aging back and was willing to kill off a major cast member. On the other hand he didn't kill her off until she was 105 and Walt's suffering essentially no consequences from being one of the oldest people in human history.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (June 7, 1969)

I hope it's a corpse.

And the embalming chemicals give everyone cancer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It seems I missed a day this week, so have a Saturday bonanza. Have it!
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

WHO WORE IT BETTER?

Billy Zane

IDK, some dude next to a hot busty chick

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

There are probably worse ways to promote an event you actually want people to attend, but it's hard for me to think of any offhand. Everybody in this universe is an improbably huge Starbuck Jones nerd, though, so I'm sure the place will be packed. There will absolutely be a reason that the event is depressing for everyone involved, but it won't be for lack of Starbuck Jones diehards. It'll probably be that a bunch of them are old, or something.

Luann

It might all be worth it just for commentary from this knucklehead:

The Amazing Spider-Man

"It's not possible he's doing some weird wizard mind poo poo. Everyone I know is too concussed for that sort of thing."

Sally Forth

It occurs to me that this teacher will shortly have to read 25+ middle-school-level novels before the school year ends. What must her life be like?

The Heart of Juliet Jones

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 12, 1951)

Barnaby (October 17, 1942)

Nancy (June 22, 1943) (accidentally skipped this on Monday)

Wash Tubbs (March 9, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 7, 1923)

Barney Google (March 25, 1922)

Lil' Abner (November 21, 1936)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

It might all be worth it just for commentary from this knucklehead:

I didn't know Sheriff John Bunnell was a Luann fan.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

This is going back a few Luann's but was anyone else bothered by the phrasing "I should ask out Piro"? I feel like normal people ask people out but I am ready to be wrong on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Green Intern posted:

I would love to have a place that served haggis near me (even though I am pretty sure it's illegal in the states or something). Bud Grace can't even pick a proper Gross Food.

Something about sheep lungs not being classified as human grade food in the US I think, along with the hoof and mouth scare.

You can try making a vegetarian haggis, I've heard those taste about the same :P .

• Locked thread