Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Drone posted:

I'd give it about a half hour.

There's just something about this niche hobby the brings out the jackboots.

A week late, but...

wehraboots

:smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

A week late, but...

wehraboots

:smugbert:

Canada, mostly.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OK the Matrix Steel Panthers and Shrapnel Steel Panthers are the same price right now - which one is better?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

V for Vegas posted:

OK the Matrix Steel Panthers and Shrapnel Steel Panthers are the same price right now - which one is better?

As a game SP:WAW would be more fun in my books because Steel Panthers 3 which it is based on has more interesting platoon mechanics, but technologically it's awfully outdated (it was last updated in 2005) whereas SP:WW2 and SP:MBT, based on SP2, keep getting updated and let you play at modern screen resolutions.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I've always liked SP:WaW more than the Shrapnel Games versions. You'll need to search the forums for a way to get it to run in modern Windows though.
Also, SP:WAW is free, and you can get tons of campaigns and scenarios at http://spwaw.com/ . It's the Mega Campaigns that cost money and they're probably not worth it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

For that matter, SPWW2 and SPMBT are free as well except for the higher resolution versions. Try it before you buy it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Shame the AI is such poo poo on those games though. I really want to like them, but that's a pretty glaring problem (as with most strategy games really).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drone posted:

Shame the AI is such poo poo on those games though. I really want to like them, but that's a pretty glaring problem (as with most strategy games really).

They're much, MUCH better when played against humans. Problem is, the pool of people willing to play a full game of Steel Panthers nowadays is VANISHINGLY small.

(I'm up for SPWWII or SPMBT PBEM! :v:)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Slitherine/Matrix is taking 30% off all their western front games until June 6 (get it?). They'll provide Steam keys for any games available there.

Some good titles here:

game list

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

MrYenko posted:

(I'm up for SPWWII or SPMBT PBEM! :v:)
I would be up for either as well. :mil101:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AceRimmer posted:

I would be up for either as well. :mil101:

Send the first turn to my username at geemail, or send me your email address, and I'll reply with a turn when I get a moment.

I have no preference on era or sides, but I prefer smaller engagements. (Battalion or smaller.)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

habituallyred posted:

I am tempted to volunteer to take over for Generation Internet but I have been reading both LP threads. Also I only have experience with the People's Tactics game that they give away on their home website.

Doesn't seem like you have PM's so shoot me an email at [removed] if you still want to sub in for Nippon.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 6, 2016

gazza
Oct 20, 2013
Oh boy, 30% off World in Flames, a normally $100 game that still has no internet multiplayer, no AI, and incomplete buggy as hell scenarios, 3+ years after being released. Remind me why Matrix/Slitherine have a near monopoly on computer wargames again

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gazza posted:

Oh boy, 30% off World in Flames, a normally $100 game that still has no internet multiplayer, no AI, and incomplete buggy as hell scenarios, 3+ years after being released. Remind me why Matrix/Slitherine have a near monopoly on computer wargames again

Steel Panthers: World at War is normally $50. For a 15-year-old game that tops out at 800x600 resolution. But it's only $35 until D-Day, so act now! Never mind that you can download it for free; the Matrix version has ~megacampaigns~

e: I did pick up TOAW3, though, because $20 seemed okay. Also I felt kind of bad about pirating it all these years

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 5, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

Steel Panthers: World at War is normally $50. For a 15-year-old game that tops out at 800x600 resolution. But it's only $35 until D-Day, so act now! Never mind that you can download it for free; the Matrix version has ~megacampaigns~

Also mostly based on SSI's & Gary Grigsby's & Keith Bror's work. Now if the profits are paid 100% to the people who built the megacampaigns then I can respect that, but otherwise it just seems odd.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
History Legends of War is a relatively fun breeze ww2 xcomish thing tho and its cheap

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nenonen posted:

Also mostly based on SSI's & Gary Grigsby's & Keith Bror's work. Now if the profits are paid 100% to the people who built the megacampaigns then I can respect that, but otherwise it just seems odd.

That's cool, but still not worth fifty bux, imo. Maybe when it was new

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well I caved and picked up Tigers on the Hunt. It's actually not that bad for a wargame made by one guy - I think it captures the different ASL impulses like move, fire, advance, defensive fire, rout etc etc quite well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Foo Diddley posted:

Steel Panthers: World at War is normally $50. For a 15-year-old game that tops out at 800x600 resolution.

The paid version offers higher resolutions that the free version doesn't.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Are you speaking of SP:WAW? If true then Matrix certainly doesn't make any mention of it.

Shrapnel's SP:WW2/MBT does that for sure.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Nenonen posted:

Are you speaking of SP:WAW? If true then Matrix certainly doesn't make any mention of it.

Shrapnel's SP:WW2/MBT does that for sure.

My apologies, you're right; I am. Thanks for the correction.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know this has probably been asked and answered several times in this thread, so I apologize in advance. But as someone who's never played one, which of these many games would be a good tank game to get, that has at least somewhat decent graphics, that I could play against an AI?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Steel Beasts Pro PE :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtFS7MhKZK8

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I know this has probably been asked and answered several times in this thread, so I apologize in advance. But as someone who's never played one, which of these many games would be a good tank game to get, that has at least somewhat decent graphics, that I could play against an AI?

I assume you're looking for a strategy game rather than a tank simulator. Shrapnel's Steel Panthers is always a good free starting point, also Combat Mission demos. Try those and come back if they didn't fit your needs!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh yeah... I can play CM: BFN and set up missions with nothing but tanks, can't I!!!

That modern tank simulator does look cool as poo poo, though

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

No it doesn't. Steel Panthers WWII, sold by Shrapnel does, but SPWAW tops out at 800x600

e: Aaaaand someone already said that, doh

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 6, 2016

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MrMojok posted:

If it weren't for the graphical requirement I'd ask if you looked into Armored Commander, which from what I understand is a groggy and unforgiving simulation of a single tank commander's career throughout WW2. Graphics are literally ASCII, though, so...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Hearts of Iron IV has been released on Steam.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

MrMojok posted:

That modern tank simulator does look cool as poo poo, though

For something more reasonably priced I'd check out Steel Fury: Kharkov for a really good WW2 tank sim. The modding community is great as well, think they've added something like 300 extra scenarios and campaigns. That or Steel Armor: Blaze of War which is like a cross between Graviteam Tactics and a tank sim. Both have demos you can check out as well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

INinja132 posted:

For something more reasonably priced I'd check out Steel Fury: Kharkov for a really good WW2 tank sim. The modding community is great as well, think they've added something like 300 extra scenarios and campaigns. That or Steel Armor: Blaze of War which is like a cross between Graviteam Tactics and a tank sim. Both have demos you can check out as well.

There's also this new game that is clearly better than anything ever, from a German company that is also behind such classics as Bobcat Simulator, Roadworks Simulator and Simulator Company Simulator.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/452000/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVS42rt1go

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Nenonen posted:

There's also this new game that is clearly better than anything ever, from a German company that is also behind such classics as Bobcat Simulator, Roadworks Simulator and Simulator Company Simulator.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/452000/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVS42rt1go

Wow, I feel like I'm right there -- in the Fulda Gap!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hearts of Iron IV has been released on Steam.

First thing I did was play as Poland, then saw the game had achievements, restarted as Fascist Canada. :getin:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Fascist Canada. :getin:
War Plan Red Green. :canada:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm really looking forward to peoples' impressions on HoI4. I remember during the early dev blogs people were very skeptical but it kind of went silent from there. I love CK2 and EUIV and enjoyed HoI2 well enough. I'm hoping this one's pretty great.

Actually I hope it's awful, I don't have $40 for this genre.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AceRimmer posted:

War Plan Red Green. :canada:

Gonna need a loooot of duck tape!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm really looking forward to peoples' impressions on HoI4. I remember during the early dev blogs people were very skeptical but it kind of went silent from there. I love CK2 and EUIV and enjoyed HoI2 well enough. I'm hoping this one's pretty great.

It seems good, the interface is confusing in places (air force, navy) but that might be misunderstanding how the systems work.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've done about 4 starts, haven't gotten past 1940 yet, and am currently observing a game while I'm using my craptop. Its a little rough around the edges if you don't do the tutorials, and its changed a lot since HOI3. Trade is anything but the same, supply and production is simpler (and better, no more improving infrastructure IN EVERY GODDAMN PROVINCE).

There's some silly mistakes you'll make a few times, like accidentally changing a division template and erasing some from existence (because they don't have any equipment to swap to). Building/production is a lot easier to manage and way more user friendly.

You can also tell its got room for improvement and/or DLC. Only the big 7 have unique national ideas, whereas everyone else gets the same generic one (Not counting Poland). There's three difficulties, ironman, and "Historical Focus" as selectable options when you start your game, which can lead to some cool/interesting outcomes like the Hindenburg not flaming out.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm a huge Hearts of Iron fan and I like the changes to the factions, the simpler production and management, and the national ideas. Haven't seen any bugs yet either, but I figure those might only show up during the late game when a lot of events have fired and peaces have been brokered.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The production split of producing materiel and then training divisions separately is really good.
The new trade system of directly trading industry for resources is simple and very effective.
The front/army system is great and what Hoi3 should have been. Drawing lines to entrench or big arrows pointing towards Paris is a lot of fun.

National focuses are also really well done where unique ones exist. Some DLC to add ideas to countries that would be fun to play (Commonwealth, China, South America) is my only complaint.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's some silly mistakes you'll make a few times, like accidentally changing a division template and erasing some from existence (because they don't have any equipment to swap to). Building/production is a lot easier to manage and way more user friendly.

I accidentally did this in my game as Canada and unwittingly created an extra 9 Ranger Divisions. It all worked out for the best in the end as I dead-stopped the Germans in Belgium with them :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

I accidentally did this in my game as Canada and unwittingly created an extra 9 Ranger Divisions. It all worked out for the best in the end as I dead-stopped the Germans in Belgium with them :D

I replaced my Cavalry divisions with Armored ones, the game told me they can't transition and I thought "Who cares? I don't even have any cavalry" and then promptly lost 7 Divisions.

:v: