Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I would like to buy a decent mouse that will last me a while, but I don't need any side buttons, extra platforms for my hand, etc. basically just the scroll wheel. "Should I buy a $100 mouse?" if I do not need the extra bells and whistles?

Yes, build quality and ergonomics are the real reason we spend our $100 not stupid gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

As a Deathadder/Intellimouse big hand haver, I"m really digging the shape of the Zowie EC1-A so far. Feels slightly more plump. Not 100% sure it's my spirit animal yet, but it's looking that way.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I would like to buy a decent mouse that will last me a while, but I don't need any side buttons, extra platforms for my hand, etc. basically just the scroll wheel. "Should I buy a $100 mouse?" if I do not need the extra bells and whistles?

The only $100+ mouse is the g900. Most decent ones are $60 and below.

If you want basics either check your Walmart/best buy or if you want quality basics look into Zowie's mice. They're all $60.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Features and quality (mostly) of a $100 mouse in a $29.99 mouse: Cooler Master Xornet II

Some warning though, the stock lens scales dpi by *0.85 and it only steps in 250 dpi in software. Why? Who knows. Companies love making really dumb mistakes. It's otherwise a great mouse. I used one of my many g100s lenses and the dpi maps 1:1 and the mouse owns. Although I had to wrestle with the top foot for the better part of an hour to get it flush again.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 3, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So my mouse has developed Dread Doubleclick Disease and at this point it's become terminal. I need a new mouse.

I'm not a heavy gamer, I don't play FPS games, I do a lot of Office stuff and web browsing. I use the palm grip so a claw grip designed mouse like the Xornet above probably won't work well for me. What's the best mouse $50 can buy on short notice? Corded, for preference. I've still never used a wireless mouse I liked.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

So my mouse has developed Dread Doubleclick Disease and at this point it's become terminal. I need a new mouse.

I'm not a heavy gamer, I don't play FPS games, I do a lot of Office stuff and web browsing. I use the palm grip so a claw grip designed mouse like the Xornet above probably won't work well for me. What's the best mouse $50 can buy on short notice? Corded, for preference. I've still never used a wireless mouse I liked.
Logitech G502's extra buttons are really snazzy for shortcuts like volume control - and a bunch of other things. It's often on sale.

It's on the heavy side, and the scroll wheel is an acquired taste.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

So I got a G900 and I like it. Previously i had used only ergonomic Logitech mice so I'm still adapting to the ambidextrous grip.

I want to replace my work mouse with an ambidextrous design to help build muscle memory.

I want:
-Ambi shape as close to the G900 as possible.
-2 side buttons
-800 DPI native with no software required
-Wired or wireless doesn't matter
-Not wildly expensive

I impulse bought a G100s without doing any research not realizing that it had no side buttons and default DPI is 1000.

Any suggestions?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So I just replaced my Filco keys after a few years, and learned in the process that isopropyl alcohol is a not-smart thing to have cleaned the old ones with.

I was wondering what it means that I have done the same with my Logitech G502. Do the buttons wear the same way, and what else might have been eroded as a result?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 2, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

This mouse is super nice so far, feels way better than my G9x. Also lol, I'm dying @ 118MB drivers. LOGITECH GAMING FRAMEWORKKKKKK

e: brb updating my mouse firmware

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 3, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Give that I've probably messed up my G502 with the wrong cleaning agent and I'll probably just say gently caress it and get a new one, how the hell do I back up my settings? If I choose the "store settings on computer", it just resets to default, and I can't figure out where and how I clone my on-mouse settings to my computer.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I traded my G502 to get a Corsair M65 to match my keyboard and I am so drat full of regret it's not even funny

The middle click on this thing is an abomination

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Phone posted:

This mouse is super nice so far, feels way better than my G9x. Also lol, I'm dying @ 118MB drivers. LOGITECH GAMING FRAMEWORKKKKKK

This is one of the biggest reasons I switched to the FinalMouse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phone posted:

Set your settings, save it on the mouse, then uninstall the software. That's what I did like 3 Windows installs ago.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm shopping for a new mouse, primarily for FPS games. I've always been a Logitech guy, so I'm looking at the G303, G402, and G502 currently. However, I've also been told by enough people that they love their Razer DeathAdder Chroma, that I'm considering it in the lineup as well.

I'm Googling reviews and whatnot, but does anyone here have personal experience with two or more of these mice and can compare them?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The deathadder is a great mouse if its the right shape for your hand. It feels nothing like any of the logitech ones.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My Microsoft Comfort mouse, 1/4 Oz.

Logitech G502 mouse, 5+Oz (with cable).

Guess which mouse causes carpel tunel and which cures it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've played literally hundreds of hours of Diablo 3 with my G502 and I don't have carpal tunnel so

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Try lowering your DPI.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

redeyes posted:

My Microsoft Comfort mouse, 1/4 Oz.

Logitech G502 mouse, 5+Oz (with cable).

Guess which mouse causes carpel tunel and which cures it.
Both cause it but to different extents, and neither cure it. You're still making the same few motions with a compressed median nerve. The solution is to abandon mice entirely.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Good luck getting sick 360 no scope headshots with a trackball. I can't do them with a mouse, so it's not like I'd notice a difference.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

P/

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
It's actually easier because you just flick the ball and let it spin to do a 360

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
http://i.imgur.com/EgRK7AW.jpg

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Corsair Vengeance M90 is dying. I've had it for... probably five years. The scroll wheel is going bad (it scrolls down. a lot.) and the right mouse button takes an inordinate amount of force to activate.

It is so old that Corsair has recently discontinued its successor, the M95.

Is there a known successor to the M95, or something that's the same shape? I love this mouse and I really just want another one, but they're insanely hard to find (and when you do find one that's new or barely used, it's incredibly expensive. Though this might be a location problem. :canada:)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Set your settings, save it on the mouse, then uninstall the software. That's what I did like 3 Windows installs ago.

Yeah since everything is saved on-board, you don't need the software unless you want to setup profiles or whatever. And also for what it's worth, it only takes up like 20MB of memory having it running in the background. It's nothing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah since everything is saved on-board, you don't need the software unless you want to setup profiles or whatever. And also for what it's worth, it only takes up like 20MB of memory having it running in the background. It's nothing.

Logitech Gaming Software makes my G500 flake the hell out. I thought it was dying, but removing LGS made it it work right again. I think Logitech don't care about old mice anymore.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

henne posted:

It's actually easier because you just flick the ball and let it spin to do a 360

Yeah honestly 90, 180, and 360 degree turns are easier on a trackball than a mouse. People say they aren't for gaming, but that's only true if you don't take the time to get used to controlling them or if you buy a bad one.

Another benefit is if you play games with lots of mouse movement, like Quake-esque shooters. You can track infinitely, with no mousepad to run out of, ever.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 4, 2016

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there a better mouse similar to Zowie EC1, maybe a bit smaller? I like the simplicity and shape but it could use a better wheel and side buttons. I liked the switches as I don't accidentally click as much as logitech ones.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

teraflame posted:

Is there a better mouse similar to Zowie EC1, maybe a bit smaller? I like the simplicity and shape but it could use a better wheel and side buttons. I liked the switches as I don't accidentally click as much as logitech ones.
Check out Finalmouse and see if it works for you.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Are those thumb ball trackballs logitech like to make any good, or are they a horrible idea?

v: Thanks!

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 5, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

nftyw posted:

Are those thumb ball trackballs logitech like to make any good, or are they a horrible idea?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The Kensington Orbit is a decent inexpensive model, or you can spend a bit more for a Slimblade or Expert Mouse (get the Bluetooth model, the scroll mechanism is better). Beyond that you run into CST L-Trac, CH DT225 (the Model M of trackballs), and various Itac models. I use an L-Trac every day for productivity and gaming and it's wonderful. You'll hate it after 5 minutes and love it after 5 hours.

Thumb trackballs aren't even worth considering if you care about RSI, accuracy, or speed. Regular mice cause RSI because you perform the same movements with the same joint (the wrist, usually) repeatedly. Finger trackballs do not because you use your entire hand to control the ball; no single joint is more or less strained than any other. Thumb trackballs take the stress off of a nice big, strong wrist joint and move it all to a frail, overused thumb joint. On top of that, the ball inside is tiny so you have to move it a lot, even with a good sensor (and the best sensors are all inside finger trackballs).

I'm convinced that thumb trackballs are popular because they mimic the form of a regular mouse. I personally don't care about keeping my hand in that awkward curl shape; I'd rather get finer control, faster cursor movement, and a longer painless lifespan for my hands.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Josh Lyman posted:

I did this with my Logitech G9x, and I'm going to continue the tradition when I flatten next time. I still had to laugh at 118MB mouse drivers, though.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I use the old Logitech at work and have the wireless one at home on my TV PC. It does it's job. Debating getting one of Kensington ones but I've legit bought a mouse a month for the past year and need to tone it down.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Aranan posted:

Good luck getting sick 360 no scope headshots with a trackball. I can't do them with a mouse, so it's not like I'd notice a difference.

I had a kensington expert mouse a long time ago, and it was pretty great to slap a ball to do a 180 and shoot a guy following me in the face with a rocket in quake 2.

mmmmmmmmmmmm slap that ball

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I used an Expert for years, but I was never happy with the button layout or scroll-ring design.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I want a new mouse. I use a G502. I grip it from the sides, using my middle finger for wheel and right click while using my ring and pinky to the right of the mouse. Wheel is why I want to replace it, but the 502 is actually a little on the large side for me.

What do you think of

G303
Corsair Sabre
Deathadder Chroma

Sabre is the most expensive for me, while the G303 is the cheapest, and Deathadder Chroma is somewhere in the middle. I do like the G502 having extra buttons to the side of the left click, and I use them for copy and paste which is why I have the Corsair Sabre in consideration. Mousewheel from the right to open links in new tabs. I don't really like Razer much because I've already gone through 4 Deathadders, but maybe their latest stuff is better I dunno. 303 might solve the size issues I have. I know I like the Deathadder feel but their QC seems iffy. Buying all 3 and just trying them all out and selling them off is also a possibility, but I can get the Deathadder Chroma and 303 together. help

Also if anyone knows of any other mice which have little buttons to the left of the left click like the 502 and Sabre have definitely say something because I would also consider them.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does anyone here have Logitech MX Master? How hard is to middle click with its scroll wheel? As hard as with older Logitech dual mode scroll wheels or is it easier? I use middle click almost as much as left click so it's very important that it doesn't make my finger hurt after a while.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SinineSiil posted:

Does anyone here have Logitech MX Master? How hard is to middle click with its scroll wheel? As hard as with older Logitech dual mode scroll wheels or is it easier? I use middle click almost as much as left click so it's very important that it doesn't make my finger hurt after a while.

Since the wheel doesn't move left and right, the middle click on the MX Master is much more solid. It also has the unlock button which can be remapped to a function as well for a middle click.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

kefkafloyd posted:

Since the wheel doesn't move left and right, the middle click on the MX Master is much more solid. It also has the unlock button which can be remapped to a function as well for a middle click.

More solid? I'm not native English speaker so that could mean either good or bad to me. Do I need to use less force to press it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SinineSiil posted:

More solid? I'm not native English speaker so that could mean either good or bad to me. Do I need to use less force to press it?

More solid as it has a more defined click and doesn't wobble. Since the wheel doesn't have left-right scrolling it is firmer and easier to click. I wager the force of the middle click is about the same as most other mice wheels.

There is an actual button below it that nominally is mapped to unlocking the wheel but you can set it to any function you like if middle clicking the wheel isn't to your style.

I used to use an MX Revo before the MX Masters.