Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

Does the lease include any provisions regarding bed bugs? Some apartments make you disclaim any liability towards the apartment complex for bed bugs

Let's say that the lease only speaks generally about pests, and says that the tenant shall be clean, report any infestation in writing, and cooperated with preparations. Tenant will be billed for rescheduling if he fails to prepare or allow access. Suppose there is a term "Also, Landlord reserves the right to charge the cost of treatment, eradication of infestation, and cleaning of infested areas to the resident." Say that is the last sentence in the paragraph about cooperation with pest control. Say there are terms that ll can terminate residency if tenatns actions contribute to infestation, his actions hinder treatment, ll determines that the property cannot be treated with tenant continuing to live on premises, or any non-compliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Now say them to an attorney

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just move out and yell "sue me!"

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Hypothetically, the tenant is getting a referral from a friend who is a criminal defense attorney. Say tenant has worked as a paralegal and can do most of any document review himself and has many friends who can write a letter for him, but doesn't know many ll/t attys. and just wants a free consultation unless litigation ensues.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
You can probably just google Indiana tenant lawyers or something similar, one of them probably provides free consultations and likely have dealt with bed bugs before

As A guess, I don't think you're gonna get the landlord to pay the costs of cleaning your clothes. If the landlord takes prompt steps to fix the problem and the lease has a clause saying the landlord can charge the tenant

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 3, 2016

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why would a person need twenty pairs of pants?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FrozenVent posted:

Tuesday mornings, man. We've all been there.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

FrozenVent posted:

Better question is by suit separate pants does he mean slacks? Or did he buy 20 suit pants without jackets?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Well he has four suits, so at that point his suit pants that are parts of a suit are either 1/6th or 1/5th of his total suit pants, let's not split hairs.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Used to be in Court every day as support staff, so slacks or separates. Only needed to wear a suit when I sat in on a jury.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

So you bought suit pants, as separates, to wear like slacks?

Was it cheap then just buying slacks? I need to get some more slacks, so honestly curious. Or like did you buy one jacket separate and then like 3 of the same pants separate?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I wear slacks r suit pants every day at work, too. I have like six or seven pairs of pants, and that includes three suits.

You have a pants problem.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Half of them are too big. Lost some weight and never got rid of the ones that don't fit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FrozenVent posted:

7 suits with 2 pairs of pants (if you buy suits with only one pair of pants, you're dumb), few pairs of jeans, few pairs of khakis/pants to go with sport coats, one ot two pairs of mud pants.
Not quite there, but I can see it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
ya'll are nuts. 20 pairs of pants is like 15 too many

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about a phrase that was mentioned in a Futurama, one that dealt with copywrite or trademark. I guess the jurisdictions would be LA (where the show was made) or NYC (where the show was essentially set).

The phrase was "We represent but are legally distinct from the lollipop guild". Does that phrase only exist for that one joke or is it something that gets legally invoked? If it's the latter, what exactly would it mean?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Sorry, this is the pantschat thread.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Who wears suit pants as every day pants that's what I don't get.

But yea buy a bunch of suit separates if your a public defender or something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EwokEntourage posted:

Shameful lawyers who don't go to court every day don't get this.
(I am now a shameful lawyer who doesn't go to court. Kinda boring, but boring has its perks.)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

nm posted:

Shameful lawyers who don't go to court every day don't get this.
(I am now a shameful lawyer who doesn't go to court. Kinda boring, but boring has its perks.)

Law is a shameful practice best done in a dimly lit office by a social reject still half drunk from lunch.

So I understand why most would have difficulty with pants

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I have a jury trial Monday. What magic words should I invoke to let the judge know I'm on her level.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I have a jury trial Monday. What magic words should I invoke to let the judge know I'm on her level.

Greetings fellow natural person. I am the Real Man Hot Dog Day #91: and will be appearing before your corporate fiction as my corporate fiction all caps HOT DOG DAY #91 sui juris in your Court of Admiralty. Here is my UCC-1 and you'll notice I'm wearing my second set of pants on my head.

(omfg, you guys made me watch too many of those nuts-o videos and I think I'm getting good at it)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 4, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

But I use the British title of nobility Esquire!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
pip pip cheerio wots all this then

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

Suit pants (and suits for that matter) are comfortable as hell if well tailored.

If it wasn't for the tie and DC being a swamp, I'd be fine wearing a suit daily.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:

RandomPauI posted:

I have a question about a phrase that was mentioned in a Futurama, one that dealt with copywrite or trademark. I guess the jurisdictions would be LA (where the show was made) or NYC (where the show was essentially set).

The phrase was "We represent but are legally distinct from the lollipop guild". Does that phrase only exist for that one joke or is it something that gets legally invoked? If it's the latter, what exactly would it mean?

Lol the law is not like some magic black box where a few secret magic phrases will cause the system to do what you want, that's why the sovcit people are ridiculous. That phrase would mean exactly what you think it means. That they are a representative of the lollipop guild but are not the lollipop guild. It is neither copyright nor trademark, if anything it would be boilerplate contract. Such a serious answer for a joke. oh lawdy.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If McGuffins are illegal in state-A but completely unregulated in state-B and someone from state-B sends a McGuffin to someone in state-A and the authorities in state-A find out about it, could they prosecute both the sender and receiver or just the receiver?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sure.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So can the federal government. ;)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So can the federal government. ;)

What if McGuffins are unregulated at the federal level? Only state-A has regulations regarding McGuffins.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Probably depends on the wording of the law.
Possession, probably not (without being creative). Importation (which is common in gun/switchblade cases, which i assume this is about), yes.

If it is alive, it probably prohibits import and the feds probably do care as well.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
How would that work in practical terms? Would the sender just receive a notice to appear in court in state-A?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Another way to charge both would be as a conspiracy.

Dead Reckoning posted:

How would that work in practical terms? Would the sender just receive a notice to appear in court in state-A?

Depends on how much they wanted sender: Extradition warrant plus call to sender's state bureau of investigation to coordinate an immediate pickup, or extradition warrant and just wait till sender gets stopped for speeding or something.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 5, 2016

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

joat mon posted:

Another way to charge both would be as a conspiracy.

Depends on how much they wanted sender: Extradition warrant plus call to sender's state bureau of investigation to coordinate an immediate pickup, or extradition warrant and just wait till sender gets stopped for speeding or something.

Would there be some sort of time limit on an extradition warrant ? People can go decades without a traffic violation or any interaction with LE.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Would there be some sort of time limit on an extradition warrant ? People can go decades without a traffic violation or any interaction with LE.

Generally speaking, arrest warrants don't expire once issued. And the interaction when the warrant is discovered and served would not be a "sign here and promise to appear" situation, it's a "handcuffs, go to jail immediately and you might eventually get a bond" situation.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

No limit. Had a young Marine who went UA/AWOL in 1972 go back home, get a life, become a trucker, get pulled over for speeding in 1995, and end up in the brig as a forty-something PFC.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shaocaholica posted:

If McGuffins are illegal in state-A but completely unregulated in state-B and someone from state-B sends a McGuffin to someone in state-A and the authorities in state-A find out about it, could they prosecute both the sender and receiver or just the receiver?
The concept you're looking for is "Interstate Extradition". Whether a state will actually go to the effort of doing it if they even find out you're breaking the law depends on their workload and what you're doing. Don't send loving high caps mags to California.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gobbeldygook posted:

The concept you're looking for is "Interstate Extradition". Whether a state will actually go to the effort of doing it if they even find out you're breaking the law depends on their workload and what you're doing. Don't send loving high caps mags to California.

Thanks! No need to send hi-caps to CA, there's plenty of them here already.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Just the other side of the sovcit bullshit, I smiled quite a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCozh_vbYdM&sns=em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Pennsylvania: I indicated (by email) my intention to renew a lease for another year back in December; after some back-and-forth with my (pretty terrible at her job IMO) leasing agent, I never signed and returned the lease renewal that she sent in early February. I've accepted a job in another state; am I on the hook for the property (which I don't have a lease for) or am I scot-free (despite written intent to renew).

e: In the emails I say "we're going to stay for another year" in early January; she later indicates (in mid-February) that we need to sign the lease extension in order to be considered under lease; I had no communication with her from when she sent the lease extension until I notified her of our intent to leave the property at the end of our current lease. There's nothing in our lease that requires advance notice of departure and it's outlined that the lease lapses at the end of the period without manual renewal.

e2: I've already heard back and the leasing agent has agreed that she made an oversight and is releasing us (the current lease runs through the end of the month, so I should be covered from my end) but I'm still curious if anyone wants to take a stab at which one of us has the legal advantage, even if it's not PA-specific.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 6, 2016