Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zephyrine posted:

I'm wondering how they plan to solve money moons.

If they really do end up spawning moongoo clouds that have to be mined manually then they will probably have to increase the optimal output of each individual moon to prevent the prices of T2 ships from going up too much

Which isn't such a bad idea but fighting over moons generate a lot of content in Eve. A lot of the groups spawning fights over them aren't the kind of groups that I see undocking miners to collect the moongoo

ccp has no devs that understand fighting over moons generates content in eve because they've listened to the howling rage of highsec miners in an npc corp ranting that they don't have their own dyspro moon for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

evilweasel posted:

ccp has no devs that understand fighting over moons generates content in eve because they've listened to the howling rage of highsec miners in an npc corp ranting that they don't have their own dyspro moon for years

All they have to do is go out an take it, hell ProviBloc for a long time had problems holding R32/R64's in their own region.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The point/joke is that "hisec miners in NPC corps" are the single most unwilling-to-pvp group in the game.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

I would attribute that more to the fact that people have to not care about killmails in order to fly logi in the first place. Rather than some coincidence.

Still. There's a lack of logi pilots in most fleets so the incentive to fly logi in its current form is obviously out of balance.

Edit: And I don't mean those fleets trying for 40% logi. I mean just a basic staff of logi for the fleet.

There's a lack of logi in those fleets because people don't want to place their fate in the hands of incompetent morons they don't know. It's the same for whatever healer class in every single multiplayer game's public matches. You can avoid that by not joining EVE's equivalent of the trade chat mega guild.

In smaller groups, where you know most of the people in the fleet, lack of logi is hardly ever a problem. In high sp groups especially you generally end up asking people to ship out of logi. With logi costing less than the t3s they are supposed to heal it's the go to ship for poors and people who have doubts about the fleet's survival.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Zephyrine posted:

hint: you solve it by doing nothing

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

CCP is also dead set on getting rid of money moons which is the only thing left worth actually fighting over. Eve is the funnest when you're playing king of the hill. The nerfs to caps and jump fatigue mean that no one group can control half of the hills anymore. If they get rid of the last tangible resource to fight over then lol.

No no you see you can only produce supercaps in nullsec, so you'll need to take some nullsec to produce supers which are really best used for taking or defending nullsec, which you need to produce the supers, so you'll need to take some nullsec to *record begins to skip*

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evilweasel posted:

CCP Devs have no understanding over a lot of things. Our sword fleets enjoying themselves or not, the loving foccieceptor is a goddamn cancer upon nullsec.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interceptors and T3Ds are the top reason I just trained into T2 RLMLs. gently caress off svipuls :colbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

CCP Devs have no understanding over a lot of things. Our sword fleets enjoying themselves or not, the loving foccieceptor is a goddamn cancer upon nullsec.

hey fozzie thought it seemed like a cool idea and the jumps taken by interceptors has gone up, and the jumps made by interceptors historically correlates with subscriber numbers, so 0wned

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The problem with Fozzie is that he was up to his eyeballs in Alliance Tournament poo poo for years and so is convinced that Eve should be all about AT style honourable smallgang gudfites and that if you don't agree then you're sandboxing wrong and need to be punished.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hailthefish posted:

The point/joke is that "hisec miners in NPC corps" are the single most unwilling-to-pvp group in the game.

:(

It's not that I'm unwilling, just that I am not interested in fighting people.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

Real talk, I didn't even know pings would generate a sound. First thing I do when installing any new piece of software, Pidgin included, is turn off all sounds because they're almost always annoying and pointless.

I'm kind of the opposite. When I install something, I tend to first switch on all sounds to see which ones are bad and which ones I can live with, then I slowly weed out the bad ones over 1-2 months of time.

My IRC-program (Nettalk) has a really loud and obnoxious gong whenever I get a private message or even just when my name is mentioned. I guess that would drive you mad pretty fast. :v:

Helicon One posted:

The problem with Fozzie is that he was up to his eyeballs in Alliance Tournament poo poo for years and so is convinced that Eve should be all about AT style honourable smallgang gudfites and that if you don't agree then you're sandboxing wrong and need to be punished.

Ironically, as someone who prefers Solo-PVP and doesn't like working with other people (when fighting, for some reason it's really hard for me to not just start shooting whoever is on grid with me, there were some nasty near-accidents when I started Faction Warfare, for example), most of his "punishments" didn't really look that bad. Of course I realize I'm probably the worst to talk about this with my attitude of SSASSM (Shoot, shoot and shoot some more) when I'm doing PVP. I'm not really the type to combine fighting and thinking, is what I'm getting at here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VideoGames posted:

you're not in an npc corp! you've formed your own highly successful corp!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

VideoGames posted:

that's fine and if the situation arises I'm pretty sure you'll have people to fill the PVP need because people space-love you.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

I'm kind of the opposite. When I install something, I tend to first switch on all sounds to see which ones are bad and which ones I can live with, then I slowly weed out the bad ones over 1-2 months of time.

My IRC-program (Nettalk) has a really loud and obnoxious gong whenever I get a private message or even just when my name is mentioned. I guess that would drive you mad pretty fast. :v:

Ironically, as someone who prefers Solo-PVP and doesn't like working with other people (when fighting, for some reason it's really hard for me to not just start shooting whoever is on grid with me, there were some nasty near-accidents when I started Faction Warfare, for example), most of his "punishments" didn't really look that bad. Of course I realize I'm probably the worst to talk about this with my attitude of SSASSM (Shoot, shoot and shoot some more) when I'm doing PVP. I'm not really the type to combine fighting and thinking, is what I'm getting at here.

Actual solo PVP, or the kind of "solo PVP" where you have link alts and a rep carrier on standby for if you start losing?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

-Troika- posted:

Actual solo PVP, or the kind of "solo PVP" where you have link alts and a rep carrier on standby for if you start losing?

i solo pvp with 10 alts, does that count?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

VideoGames posted:

You're not in an NPC corp, though! You made your own corp, with like, taxes and roles and hangars and stuff! The risk you take for those cool features is theoretically someone could decide to pay lots of spacemoney to declare spacewar on your corporation! It's unlikely, since you're a very nice person in a small and inoffensive corporation, but it's theoretically possible.

Miners who stay in NPC corps stay in NPC corps because you can't wardec NPC corps, meaning the only way to kill them in hisec is to suicide gank them.

Also, yes, god protect anyone who dares wardec RV...whatever the other letters are. :unsmigghh:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

frozenpussy posted:

that's fine and if the situation arises I'm pretty sure you'll have people to fill the PVP need because people space-love you.

:neckbeard:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

i solo pvp with 10 alts, does that count?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know how absolutely mind numbing POS warfare was. And I understand the huge strain it took to maintain the drat things. But it was far better than the stupid poo poo we have now. With POS warfare the wars involved actual campaigns.There were ebbs and flow to wars, definitive victories and defeats, and progress could be objectively measured by the ingame mechanics. Individual battles over particular systems mattered where one key day could decide the fate of the whole war. And these things naturally lent themselves to being very easy to follow for people not involved in the war. So pubbies and people who didn't even play the game could feel invested in following a wars progress. Which undoubtedly helps CCP's bottom line by itself.

I'm sure there is a non POS warfare way of capturing this kind of gameplay again but holy poo poo Fozzie Sov is the exact opposite of what is needed.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Guys just a gentle reminder PIROCOR recruitment window is open. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778771

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
gentle reminder moa are the worst alliance in the game

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

gentle reminder moa are the worst alliance in the game

Morning uncle grumpy pants! o/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bluegoon posted:

Morning uncle grumpy pants! o/

Lol you joined MOA, a perfect fit imo

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Lol you joined MOA, a perfect fit imo

And you can too, fellow poster! Please be advised the link is a few posts up, fly safe now! :)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
horde is literally a better option for anyone than moa

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

It saddens me when I read about people taking about the death of the game.

I only started playing a year ago, and it's one of the best games I've ever played. I'm obviously still :shobon:

You've all been here before, but is there any hope for null with 75% of the CSM being heavily inspired by Nullsec? Or just :ccp:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

To be honest I think citadels should have a module that when they anchor over a planet it grants sov. Whoever has the most planets captured in system has the sov.

Not quite as backbreaking as old Sov, but requires more effort than fozziesov.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Oodles posted:

It saddens me when I read about people taking about the death of the game.

I only started playing a year ago, and it's one of the best games I've ever played. I'm obviously still :shobon:

You've all been here before, but is there any hope for null with 75% of the CSM being heavily inspired by Nullsec? Or just :ccp:

It's not the number of voices, but the willingness to hear them.

Carth Dookie posted:

To be honest I think citadels should have a module that when they anchor over a planet it grants sov. Whoever has the most planets captured in system has the sov.

Not quite as backbreaking as old Sov, but requires more effort than fozziesov.

I don't know if I could stomach fighting 9 Fortizars in a row for a single system. They would be fascinating setpiece battles, though.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

It's not the number of voices, but the willingness to hear them.

My understanding is that CCP don't really listen to the CSM. They just do their own thing.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

hint: you solve it by doing nothing

No doubt. But they already said that they will make mining manual. So that's what I would speculate around.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Oodles posted:

Sadly, the CSM is more about saving :ccp: from themselves, than proposing new ideas or a platform for ideas to be heard.

Most of the more controversial changes have been done with little to no notice to the CSM at all. In the end, :ccp: will do whatever the gently caress they want.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Xolve posted:

Sadly, the CSM is more about saving :ccp: from themselves, than proposing new ideas or a platform for ideas to be heard.

Most of the more controversial changes have been done with little to no notice to the CSM at all. In the end, :ccp: will do whatever the gently caress they want.

well I mean it is their game. Its really loving annoying to hear the CSM complain that they don't get the finaly say in game mechanic changes given how often they leak stuff.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

well I mean it is their game. Its really loving annoying to hear the CSM complain that they don't get the finaly say in game mechanic changes given how often they leak stuff.

Oh- I'm with you.

I just laugh everytime someone thinks the CSM is something more than posturing for PR.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xolve posted:

Oh- I'm with you.

I just laugh everytime someone thinks the CSM is something more than posturing for PR.

you're exactly right, and there's a great reason. the CSM was for all intents and purposes cut from whole cloth by the GF directorate and CCP forced at the PR equivalent of gunpoint to implement it. or else.

short version: when anthonyz broke the news about their CCP cheating on BoB's behalf in ... 2006, 2007?, I reached out to him. he was trying to use the info to extort BoB for a mothership or something. we had a better plan: tony brought the journalistic bombs one drip at a time, goonfleet brought the forum numbers and the "political" expertise to keep the pressure intense and continuous. being the principal harmed party by CCP/BoB's cheating, our candidates were virtually guaranteed to win the first election. we successfully leveraged our invention and initial momentum into dominating the council, ensuring influence to keep the game developing in our favor for years.

fun facts are fun. or maybe I just made that up. who knows!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder whatever happened to that dev. Would anyone else hire him?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

If they really do end up spawning moongoo clouds that have to be mined manually then they will probably have to increase the optimal output of each individual moon to prevent the prices of T2 ships from going up too much

Which isn't such a bad idea but fighting over moons generate a lot of content in Eve. A lot of the groups spawning fights over them aren't the kind of groups that I see undocking miners to collect the moongoo

there is nothing to solve. If ccp is dead set on a dumb idea, add an alternative source of moongoo instead of replacing it wholesale.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

I wonder whatever happened to that dev. Would anyone else hire him?

Didn't he just apologise and he was kept on?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://zkillboard.com/kill/54411809/

lolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Xolve posted:

Most of the more controversial changes have been done with little to no notice to the CSM at all.

It's not even saving :ccp: from itself anymore, just a flak shield for developers. The jump fatigue fiasco had two parts: a) the change was dumb, and b) CCP used the claim it was CSM approved to defend the decision - notwithstanding that the CSM had virtually no notice. Sion piped up about this, utterly defeating the point of the CSM in :ccp:'s eyes. Which is why the CSM now has a "no Sions" rule and CCP gets to deal with "he who must not be named in the thread" as a CSM member.

• Locked thread