Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

They're Americans too, aren't they?

The military are bigger tools than the GOP(that's kinda the point), they obeyed a muslim black guy from Africas for 7+ years , they're gonna bend the knee.

Hope all that time playing Fallout 4 helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PhazonLink posted:

The military are bigger tools than the GOP(that's kinda the point), they obeyed a muslim black guy from Africas for 7+ years , they're gonna bend the knee.

Hope all that time playing Fallout 4 helps.

This is gibberish, but the idea of the military as an apolitical society of Cincinnatuses is a dangerous one that was a massive contribution to Vietnam and the War on Terror.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Xanderkish posted:

How much harder do you think she can go with these attacks? I'm curious.

They haven't even started. Once Obama & Biden feel free to enter they'll be able to work a constant rotation along with Bernie too if he feels like jumping in. They haven't even touched their opposition research yet and who the gently caress knows what wonders we'll see come autumn.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Look at my African American over here!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Can't wait for Jerry Springer to host a debate of Hils v The Donald and see it devolve into face to face posturing and taunts from the audience.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Look at my African American over here!

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/738857765200748544
:stare:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
So well spoken.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Yiggy posted:

So well spoken.

So articulate.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jesus Christ.

Also RE: Trump attacks. Keep in mind that we haven't even begun to see the opposition research attacks. On top of that Trump has disallowed his people from doing their own oppo research on himself. So any attack Clinton digs up, and there's going to be plenty, will have little to no damage control plans for then. He's going to be blindsided daily and left swinging at air.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Everyone room has at least one, am I right? And that ones ours.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Brainiac Five posted:

This is gibberish, but the idea of the military as an apolitical society of Cincinnatuses is a dangerous one that was a massive contribution to Vietnam and the War on Terror.

The military disobeying the elected civilian executive is usually Really Bad.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

I'm glad there's at least a few soldiers who would refuse to commit war crimes. Shows the American armed forces are at least potentially amenable to education to enhance their political moral state.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Crain posted:

b] Trump has disallowed his people from doing their own oppo research on himself[/b].

... wait, what? Really? -REALLY-? Why have none of his handlers tackled him and gone 'no you loving dolt'?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crain posted:

Jesus Christ.

Also RE: Trump attacks. Keep in mind that we haven't even begun to see the opposition research attacks. On top of that Trump has disallowed his people from doing their own oppo research on himself. So any attack Clinton digs up, and there's going to be plenty, will have little to no damage control plans for then. He's going to be blindsided daily and left swinging at air.

Also this opposition research was started during the clusterfuck of a primary the GOP had. So the Dem machine at least planned for the worst case scenario.

edit:
Two cents on the Trump's "Amazing, how civilized these non whites can be."
We're going to get an a double OReilly-restaurant moment.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 4, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Goons, I know we were all worried the Republican National Convention was missing something, that one something to make it special, but we couldn't figure out what it was. Good news! Turns out it was Rage Against the Machine, Public Enemy, and Cypress Hill:

quote:

Political activist Tom Morello says that he’s got big plans for his new musical project, and they involve throwing a wrench in the Republican National Convention come this July.

The guitarist is well known as one of the key innovators behind Rage Against The Machine (RATM), and he’s been using this week to introduce his new supergroup to the world: Prophets of Rage. The group is a collective of members from RATM, Public Enemy and Cypress Hill, and he said in an interview with Bloomberg Politics that they know exactly where to go with their message....

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
remember when rage against the machine spoke out against paul ryan after he mentioned that he was a fan of theirs

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm glad there's at least a few soldiers who would refuse to commit war crimes. Shows the American armed forces are at least potentially amenable to education to enhance their political moral state.

I might have just lost the thread of this conversation, but there is obeying illegal orders to commit war crimes like Trump has said he would give (which is wrong both legally and morally), and then there is the military being disobedient because they just think the president is a shithead in general (which would not be good, but some people seem to advocate anyway.)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Having to obey Trump in any capacity should be considered a war crime.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Usually.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Senf posted:

Trump today in Redding, CA:

I can't even.

It's amazing how he uses the same loving line with a couple words swapped out for 90% of his statements.

"There's nobody with a better [Thing] than me. I have the greatest [Thing] there is. My [Thing] is totally [verb/adjective], so [verb/adjective]."

You could make a Trump Statement Generator pretty easily.

Shillary posted:

SCOTUS already said bribery doesn't exist, so nothing will come of it.

Yet another reason to be glad Scalia's dead (though Roberts might actually be the worst offender on the bench) since with any luck Garland or whomever Clinton nominates won't be quite as "lol currption" as the conservatives have been and maybe. just maybe, we could actually one day see political corruption charges as more than a once-in-a-blue-moon thing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

citybeatnik posted:

... wait, what? Really? -REALLY-? Why have none of his handlers tackled him and gone 'no you loving dolt'?

Because then you're out on your ear. The man is not going to take direction. At least not on certain topics, and his image is on the top of that list. His image is 100% of his worth. He exists to be seen as a rich, high living, bougy motherfucker. He cannot stand the thought of someone generating an unauthorized and curated profile of himself, to the detriment of his own interests.

Prester Jane and I think jomentum said it last month but the trump campaign is going to be dominated by reality show narcissists who will need to suck Donald's dick to get even the smallest things done. If you don't, you're going to be quickly muscled out by someone who will.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

boom boom boom posted:

Seriously? That could be pretty loving troubling, if the military is saying that they'll ignore the orders of the elected Commander in Chief. Unless it's a very specific, "we won't obey orders that violate the constitution" sort of thing. But even so, the military should not be commenting on civilian elections.

That was it. Trump said he'd order the military to do things he didn't realize were war crimes.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Zas posted:

the military is already saying they're not going to cooperate with trump. and hell that was before all the 'blowing up nato' stuff.

I'm not saying he's not dangerous, I'm not saying he won't do a huge amount of harm. After all, Bush was dangerous, and Bush did a huge amount of harm.

In the grand scheme of things, the military handily supports Trump anyway, which is concerning on an entirely different and much more serious level. I'm having a difficult time coming up for a rationale for that that isn't wildly offensive to the troops.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/election/2016/05/09/military-times-survey-donald-trump-beats-hillary-clinton/84132402/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That's not really surprising. Trump appeals to people who prefer hierarchical authority structures and those people also join the military in large numbers.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

boom boom boom posted:

Is there a thread about the surge in anti-woman violence?

We had one. You used to post in it. It got destroyed by butt hurt SASS plants.

E: lol at salty goons mad at TB. She's bein way, way loving nicer than she should be and actually has something to say. You gonna demand pictures of her hands next?

Armani fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 4, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Crain posted:

Jesus Christ.

Is there a source for this? I'd like to read it first hand

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

nachos posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/05/trump-said-no-opposition-research-vetting

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

^^fucker!^^

nachos posted:

nachos posted:

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/05/trump-said-no-opposition-research-vetting

It's specifically about his early campaign, so things may have changed, but there's been no indication of that yet. Not that it would necessarily be a news story. But the fact that a major party candidate refused to have himself professionally vetted by his own people speaks volumes about how he is planning on running things. Even if he later goes back and does it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I wonder what this will look like in a month when the convention rolls around.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Aerox posted:

In the grand scheme of things, the military handily supports Trump anyway, which is concerning on an entirely different and much more serious level. I'm having a difficult time coming up for a rationale for that that isn't wildly offensive to the troops.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/election/2016/05/09/military-times-survey-donald-trump-beats-hillary-clinton/84132402/

Hahaha Military Times

An "independent" military magazine whose subscribers trend heavily male and heavily conservative compared to the armed forces as a whole.... blasting an email to those subscribers. Utter trash.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/election/2016/05/09/military-times-survey-donald-trump-beats-hillary-clinton/84132402/ posted:

The results, while not a scientific sampling of military voting patterns (see our methodology below)[...]

"Between May 3 and May 6, Military Times conducted a voluntary, confidential survey of subscribers who include verified active-duty, National Guard and reserve component service members. More than 59,000 subscribers received e-mail invitations to participate. In total, 951 respondents completed the survey."
:fuckoff:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when rage against the machine spoke out against paul ryan after he mentioned that he was a fan of theirs

one of my favorite posts of the 2012 cycle was something like "Paul Ryan, backstage before the debate, closes his eyes and turns on "Close Your Eyes (And Count To gently caress)""

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Geoff Peterson posted:

Hahaha Military Times

An "independent" military magazine whose subscribers trend heavily male and heavily conservative compared to the armed forces as a whole.... blasting an email to those subscribers. Utter trash.

Thank god. For some reason I thought MT was at least semi-legit and widely read among military members.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Geoff Peterson posted:

Hahaha Military Times

Yeah, I agree that's pure bullshit, though the white males in the military do skew conservative, and have done so a long time. The women and gays and minorities, of which there are a lot, are presumably a different story.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

No because who cares what they think.

Aerox posted:

Thank god. For some reason I thought MT was at least semi-legit and widely read among military members.

Read yes, subscribed, no.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Aerox posted:

yeah I wasn't very specific, but I tried to clear it up in subsequent pages

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Goons, I know we were all worried the Republican National Convention was missing something, that one something to make it special, but we couldn't figure out what it was. Good news! Turns out it was Rage Against the Machine, Public Enemy, and Cypress Hill:

snarknado • 2 hours ago
Taking down capitalism one $75 general admission ticket at a time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

An awfully done poll of the military still showing that roughly 50% are non-Trumpers is reason to celebrate IMHO. :shrug:

EDIT: or at the very least not wring our hands

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Quick now do one of only those involved with the Air Force Academy.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Impermanent posted:

That's not really surprising. Trump appeals to people who prefer hierarchical authority structures and those people also join the military in large numbers.

We should really just draft people randomly at 18 from every class, social group, whatever to fill the demand for soldiers. Give them the yuugest best GI bill we can muster, and we normalize the culture of the military and give a cross section of society a non controversial leg up from the government. It'll just be like Americorps with assault rifles, something young people do before life really begins.

"Service guarantees citizenship"!

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Who the gently caress said biology is a soft science? That poo poo is rough.

I've heard this from guys when I was going through engineering school. jokes on them, though. The guy who I know with bio PhD does way more number crunching than I ever dreamed of in engineering school.

• Locked thread