Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Arsten posted:

So, someone just tried to scam a help desk. I was passing by and the help desk girl was flustered and I asked what was up. She gave me the strangest story I have heard for awhile, which was that someone called the help desk and demanded a download of the financial detail for the last 15 years. He then verbally went off on the help desk girl and threatened to fire her and 'leave her working the streets.' You know, sounding like a completely professional request you'd expect from a manager somewhere. So, I got his information which was "Jim" at a strange number with area code 907. I had to look that up and it's Juneau Alaska - where our company has no office or presence of any kind.

I dug out a copy of our data retention policy, which notes that we archive data after 5 years and purge it after 8 in most cases. So, even a newly hired manager should know that he's not getting 15 years of information. By this time, I was annoyed but endlessly curious and I called him and played it straight, like we were fulfilling the request.

"Hey, we have the information. Where do I need to send it?" and I got an address in Arizona. Specifically 501 N 4th Ave, Tuscon. Go ahead and Google Maps that for some added hilarity. We have no presence anywhere near there, either. I said that I wouldn't send financial data to a non-company address and he got huffy. So I followed the SOP: "Please give me your full name, position, and office location and I'll get approval from the executive committee to release these to you."

The line was disconnected and then went straight to voice mail from that point on. :v:

Please write up this person for an attaboy.

There's a huge vulnerability where employees are very susceptible to being intimidated by an angry person claiming to be an executive. It isn't helped by real executives behaving the exact same way.

It's really hard to say no when you're on the front lines, not making a lot of money and someone is threatening to hurt you and your family.

Lobby to get her a small bonus or a gift card to a local restaurant or something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

kensei posted:

Windows 10 is cool and good.

My only problem with it is how it will wake your computer up by itself, and can even power it on by itself. Since we're on the topic of the Team Viewer breach, my computer waking up in the middle of the night makes me worry I got some sort of malware that allows remote access. Powering on from completely shut off it just creepy.

Maybe I should do an upgrade on my laptop anyway. I kind of want to install CentOS once I no longer need it for late night gaming.

Is CentOS a bad choice for the first linux machine I've used aside from lab machines at college?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My only problem with it is how it will wake your computer up by itself, and can even power it on by itself. Since we're on the topic of the Team Viewer breach, my computer waking up in the middle of the night makes me worry I got some sort of malware that allows remote access. Powering on from completely shut off it just creepy.

Maybe I should do an upgrade on my laptop anyway. I kind of want to install CentOS once I no longer need it for late night gaming.

Is CentOS a bad choice for the first linux machine I've used aside from lab machines at college?

I think if you aren't looking to learn anything from it and just want to use it instead of Windows, Ubuntu or Fedora are going to be the most recommended. If you want to learn some work related skills whatever you use at work, or whatever you think the place you want to work is going to use.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Please write up this person for an attaboy.

There's a huge vulnerability where employees are very susceptible to being intimidated by an angry person claiming to be an executive. It isn't helped by real executives behaving the exact same way.

It's really hard to say no when you're on the front lines, not making a lot of money and someone is threatening to hurt you and your family.

Lobby to get her a small bonus or a gift card to a local restaurant or something.

I've already sent an email detailing proper procedures for requesting data. (It's not through the help desk :ssh: ) I thanked her publicly in the email for being on the ball enough to ask about the situation and repeated my rule of thumb: "if it seems strange, ask. The only time you shouldn't stop and ask is if you need to call 911."

I do know that executives get belligerent, but they usually don't get so toward the bottom rung of the organizational ladder. They are usually complete dicks to the people around them as a way to make themselves feel superior. A 19 year old help desk new hire won't give them any credit to the managers they rub elbows with, so they are generally ignored.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Taeke posted:

Which reminds me, and I suppose asking her is as good as anywhere (maybe even better because you guys know what's what.)

Should I?

I'm on a couple years old crappy ProBook 5330m. You know, i5-2520M CPU, 4GB ram, 64-bit, loving 125 or so gig HD which sucks and forces me to use an external drive for all my poo poo. I'm not in IT and know basically nothing about this poo poo. I could set up a simple lan party a decade ago but that was a decade ago, and since then I haven't kept up (nor needed to).

I use this laptop pretty much for everything. Watching films, series, play the games it's capable of running (at the moment I'm enjoying Stellaris) and my academic studies. Luckily I don't have to make a choice before the end of July (I think) so I'm going to postpone anyway until I finish my dissertation (due the end of this month) but I'd appreciate a general yes or no from you guys. My biggest fear is that my HD isn't large enough to comfortably run Win10 or that it'll clog things up so that the games that already run only barely (playable at lowest settings, but it's right at the edge) will somehow perform worse and push it right below the threshold of playability, you know?

10 runs smoother than 7 on low-end systems (will work on a single-core system from 2004) and uses less hard drive space, around 8-10GB for a fresh install with nothing at all added. You should upgrade unless you have a reason not to.

Note that after you upgrade it will appear to use more hard drive space because it keeps all your data from 7 to roll back if needed. Once you're confident that you don't need to, you can delete that.

Also, upgrading to 10 once will reserve your license forever so even if you don't like it you can roll back to 7 and always have the option.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 3, 2016

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Arsten posted:

"Hey, we have the information. Where do I need to send it?" and I got an address in Arizona. Specifically 501 N 4th Ave, Tuscon. Go ahead and Google Maps that for some added hilarity. We have no presence anywhere near there, either. I said that I wouldn't send financial data to a non-company address and he got huffy. So I followed the SOP: "Please give me your full name, position, and office location and I'll get approval from the executive committee to release these to you."

The line was disconnected and then went straight to voice mail from that point on. :v:

I'd pitch in a buck or two to send a glitter bomb to them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grizlor posted:

"stupid user screenshots" folder

Every shop has one of those as standard operatying procedure, right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pixaal posted:

I think if you aren't looking to learn anything from it and just want to use it instead of Windows, Ubuntu or Fedora are going to be the most recommended. If you want to learn some work related skills whatever you use at work, or whatever you think the place you want to work is going to use.

I'm inclined towards CentOS because it's the most similar to RHEL, so I figure it will give me a little bit of experience, although obviously no server-specific experience.

I might have asked this before, but I can never remember whether I've posted something or just thought about it. I had a legitimate copy of Windows 7 that I lost the license key for, so for the last couple of reformats I just put up with the popups saying that I might be a victim of software counterfeiting (not sure how I'm the victim there, but whatever). Then I bought a refurbished laptop with a key I could use on my other computer as well. I updated the computer that had previously had no key because I figured I wanted that computer, which I game on, to be the most up to date. I still have Windows 7 on the refurbished laptop, can I just upgrade that one as well without conflict, or will it set off a red flag saying it's on two completely different computers?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Entropic posted:

Every shop has one of those as standard operatying procedure, right?

I think your computer has a painful virus, because it's screaming.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's what happens when you engrave the word HATE on every nanoangstrom of your circuitry and you still haven't adequately expressed how much hate you're feeling for your user at this micro-instant.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Gilok posted:

I think your computer has a painful virus, because it's screaming.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's what happens when you engrave the word HATE on every nanoangstrom of your circuitry and you still haven't adequately expressed how much hate you're feeling for your user at this micro-instant.
I have no mouse, and I must scream.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is CentOS a bad choice for the first linux machine I've used aside from lab machines at college?

For a daily desktop use I would use Fedora. It gives you a good idea of where RHEL will be headed. If you are familiar with it you will easily navigate existing RHEL or Centos setups. But it will give you more recent applications and libraries etc. It will also be a lot easier to get stuff like Steam running.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
my personal rule of thumb is,
if workstation (desktop/laptop): fedora
if server: centos

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Fedora has more fun stuff too, like Hotdogs during the install

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

smax posted:

I'd pitch in a buck or two to send a glitter bomb to them.

The address is a Dairy Queen. I wouldn't want to make some poor managers' life hell because his 16 year old employee is up to shenanigans on the interwebs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Do you really want to miss out on the next p-p-p-powerbook?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think it's too late for that, the guy already knows that they know it's a scam.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kujeger posted:

my personal rule of thumb is,
if workstation (desktop/laptop): fedora
if server: centos
That's a good rule.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you really want to miss out on the next p-p-p-powerbook?

Be a condescending, dodgy dick in England and I'll be happy to glitter bomb you with a p-p-p-powerbook.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Entropic posted:

Every shop has one of those as standard operatying procedure, right?

Isn't that the basejumping game?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Macaroni posted:

Email #1
Date: 5/25
From: Me
To: [People I Have Active Projects With]
Subject: Vacation

Hi everyone, I'll be out from May 26-June 1 for my sister's wedding. Please don't email me while I'm gone, you'll want to file a ticket instead so my colleagues can assist you. Have a great Memorial Day!
***
Email #2 - My Vacation Autoresponse

I'm out of the office from 5/26-6/1, have a great weekend! Please file tickets for assistance in my absence.
***

***

Hahaha... I started actually disabling the work account on my phone when on vacation because of people like Dork

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
The frustrating thing about Win10 is that it's been pushed for a year, but I work with scientific instrumentation/software and as far as I know not even the major manufacturers have had a chance to get their software up to 10.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

And when they do it will be considered a major update meaning having to pay for a new license at well over 10k per seat.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

I think your computer has a painful virus, because it's screaming.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's what happens when you engrave the word HATE on every nanoangstrom of your circuitry and you still haven't adequately expressed how much hate you're feeling for your user at this micro-instant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8F5kvhx6I&t=130s

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kujeger posted:

my personal rule of thumb is,
if workstation (desktop/laptop): fedora
if server: centos

Centos on the desktopnis annoying because if it just came out it's okay but after a while a lot of software needs newer libraries than is available on centos.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Enjoying this personal computing here

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Varkk posted:

And when they do it will be considered a major update meaning having to pay for a new license at well over 10k per seat.

Yep, it's fantastic. And then if you're lucky maybe it will even work!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
So I got loving tired of losing sleep (for real) thanks to the various ransomware out there and decided to try and do something about it.

If you aren't using the File Server Resource Manager role on your Windows Servers (2008+), you should get on it immediately. It is 100% free and can monitor for filenames and cut off access to users accessing network shares if it detects too many files matching a given set of filters. Which is great because a lot of ransomware uses a specific filename pattern or file extension.

I built a site that tries to log as many of these different file types as we know about and are always ready to take submissions for ones we don't using the form at the bottom of the page. I only spent 1 day on the site so it may not be perfect but I think it gets the job done. If you have any suggestions, I would be more than happy to take them - I want to make this a global resource and the more accurate information we have, the better.

Link: https://fsrm.experiant.ca/

Let me know what you think.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kinetica posted:

The frustrating thing about Win10 is that it's been pushed for a year, but I work with scientific instrumentation/software and as far as I know not even the major manufacturers have had a chance to get their software up to 10.

That's one way to put it, I guess...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nexxai posted:

[...]

This is awesome nexxai, I'm going to get this set up on our file server when I'm back in the office next week.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
That's really fuckin' fantastic, man. Thanks for putting in the work.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MrMojok posted:

Hahaha... I started actually disabling the work account on my phone when on vacation because of people like Dork

I disabled my email on phone last vacation I went on in Early May and haven't turned it back on yet. If something is on fire you should be sending a pagerduty alert or calling me anyway not sending an email with vague rear end wording. E-mail 8-5 feels good man.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Kinetica posted:

The frustrating thing about Win10 is that it's been pushed for a year, but I work with scientific instrumentation/software and as far as I know not even the major manufacturers have had a chance to get their software up to 10.
Its been out for nearly a year, and was available in beta for months before that. It may not have been ready for prime time on release, but if they haven't started updates for 10 they are just being obstinate.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It doesn't help that software which worked on the initial release may not work in some of the subsequent major updates. If you have ever dealt with scientific or engineering software you will know that software in that field is usually fragile at the best of times.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

This is awesome nexxai, I'm going to get this set up on our file server when I'm back in the office next week.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Varkk posted:

It doesn't help that software which worked on the initial release may not work in some of the subsequent major updates. If you have ever dealt with scientific or engineering software you will know that software in that field is usually fragile at the best of times.

It was coded by a grad student who had no god damned idea what he was doing, and because it does real sciencey poo poo, nobody else understands how his code works either. Declare a function to do a thing? Better name it doThing. Have another really critical part of the code that does some horrible differential analysis, better name it doThing1.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

nexxai posted:

Let me know what you think.

Holy poo poo, man. I enabled this on our file server so hard. gently caress change control (when defending against cryptolocker). That went in pronto.

Thank you!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just wait for the next round of crypto that uses that feed to pick file extensions :suicide:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Varkk posted:

It doesn't help that software which worked on the initial release may not work in some of the subsequent major updates. If you have ever dealt with scientific or engineering software you will know that software in that field is usually fragile at the best of times.

I once setup some kind of air particulate monitor. It had a habit of instantly bluescreening any windows 7 laptops that were connected to it if they had been given any windows updates since 2009.

  • Locked thread