Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I have a question about your comments on the PokeFans. With the woman, you make a joke about "peek at you", did she have a Pikachu or was that meant to be for the guy who has an obsession with The 'Chu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nah she has a Pikachu also, but I don't really find much point showing Pokemon we've already seen. After all, my LP shouldn't be the perfect Pokemon experience, it should be playing them yourself to see what I left out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I always found Lemonade way more covenient than Moomoo Milk.

At least, until they started allowing you to buy in bulk.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silegna posted:

Oh, Corsola. The most unoriginal pokemon design ever, on the worst Pokemon ever.

muk and the pokemon that are just 3 other pokemon put together easily beat it for unoriginality lol

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Crosspeice posted:

Nah she has a Pikachu also, but I don't really find much point showing Pokemon we've already seen. After all, my LP shouldn't be the perfect Pokemon experience, it should be playing them yourself to see what I left out.

No worries, it's just been years since I lost my GBA SP charger played Crystal so I'd forgotten her team.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silegna posted:

The most unoriginal pokemon design ever,

Now there's a fun contest. My vote's on Exeggcute.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I'm gonna go with Voltorb (and Electrode).

I hope one day they'll implement Voltorb evolving if the player holds their system upside down, like Inkay.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Silegna posted:

Oh, Corsola. The most unoriginal pokemon design ever, on the worst Pokemon ever.

Its design is decent enough. That's about the best thing you can say about it.

Aithon posted:

I'm gonna go with Voltorb (and Electrode).

I hope one day they'll implement Voltorb evolving if the player holds their system upside down, like Inkay.

On that day, it might suck slightly less.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Now there's a fun contest. My vote's on Exeggcute.

Gen 1 has some serious contenders. Literal pidgeon, literal rat, literal caterpillar(s), and so on. Metapod gets my vote though - that poor guy has literally nothing interesting going for him.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Have you all forgotten about Horsea? The developers cared so little about it, they half-assed the name of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TheLoquid posted:

Gen 1 has some serious contenders. Literal pidgeon, literal rat, literal caterpillar(s), and so on. Metapod gets my vote though - that poor guy has literally nothing interesting going for him.

Not true! Metapod has one thing going for it.
Battles between two dudes that only know harden is hilarious.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It also is evolves into Butterfree whose Confusion attack is really your only hope against Brock if you chose Charmander. Unless you're playing Yellow because you can get a Mankey.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Have you all forgotten about Horsea? The developers cared so little about it, they half-assed the name of it.

Seel

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It also is evolves into Butterfree whose Confusion attack is really your only hope against Brock if you chose Charmander. Unless you're playing Yellow because you can get a Mankey.

Charmander can actually Ember through Onix pretty easily.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You've all forgotten Luvdisk.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Goldeen. It's a fish. With a horn.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Qwilfish. There's a reason it's talked about so little.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Finneon. It's just a fish :geno:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Krabby and Kingler. A literal small crab that evolves into a slightly larger crab with a single big-rear end claw. :effort:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
From what I've heard, all of them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, loving Remoraid and Mantine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FoolyCharged posted:

Not true! Metapod has one thing going for it.
Battles between two dudes that only know harden is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axZzZyTyxp4

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Finneon. It's just a fish :geno:

Yeah, for a late-game Pokemon, it's pretty unmemorable.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 4, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay question for everyone.

When did the anime become good? Because I just saw the Ash vs Diantha fight and christ.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

When did the anime become good? Because I just saw the Ash vs Diantha fight and christ.

It didn't. It does, however, do the occasional flashy battle right.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The second one?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The second one?

The one with Greninja.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And in Platinum, you can trade one for a magikarp. Hilariously enough, if you don't have a flyer, and you traded Finneon and he was your only surfer? You're stuck there until you A. Train that Magikarp or B.If you had an open space, fish up a surfer.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Don't you get the good rod (which is required to catch finneon, who can be found with it in some early game routes) mid game? or am I misremembering?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, but it's not surprising people forget about fishing, cause they usually pick their Water type by then. But I was pretty surprised at the variety of Pokemon you can fish up with the Old Rod in Crystal, made me kinda regret picking Poliwag so early. And there's a smaller, but still pretty cool amount of Pokemon to get with the Good Rod.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

the DP anime was pretty good
BW anime was ... ok... It had a lot of potential and dropped almost all of it.

XY the anime suddenly got a budget for some reason and uses it for fancy battles. its pretty good

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

rannum posted:

the DP anime was pretty good
BW anime was ... ok... It had a lot of potential and dropped almost all of it.

XY the anime suddenly got a budget for some reason and uses it for fancy battles. its pretty good

Yes, I believe it was linked in the Yellow thread that Ash FORGOT ATTRACT DIDN'T WORK ON THE SAME GENDER.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Silegna posted:

Yes, I believe it was linked in the Yellow thread that Ash FORGOT ATTRACT DIDN'T WORK ON THE SAME GENDER.

Not even just things like that, but also things like:

Let's have a bunch of rivals, but we don't know what to do with them and didn't give any resolutions to any of their arcs
Including the main rival, who had no arc, was knocked out in round one of the league, and basically replaced by a different rival for half the series
Let's have a giant rotating team of pokemon, but still focus on the starters to the point where the reserves don't do anything (I think Ash used Palpitoad 3 times total after catching it)
Let's have a designated recurring training area, but only use them once and instead bring in tournaments
Let's have recurring tournaments, but limit them to one on one matches
Let's have an extended filler arc but do nothing with anyone in it
Let's have an early league, but rush through it and make the first rounds one-on-ones

and so on

I kind of get the feeling they had more plans that they threw away after the earthquake.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

nthing the sentiment that the Pokemon anime was never good.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

rannum posted:

Not even just things like that, but also things like:

Don't forget the incredibly anti-climatic face off against a rival character who manages to be even dumber then Ash ever was (he thought that you only needed 7 badges to get into the league, which apparently takes place in Johto and he managed to win against Ash with only 5 Pokémon).

The X and Y anime is far better written but there are still ways they can screw it up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo, loving Remoraid and Mantine.

Remoraid. It's a remora fish, cool.

Evolves into Octillery. It's a gun octopus.

:crossarms:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Waffleman_ posted:

Remoraid. It's a remora fish, cool.

Evolves into Octillery. It's a gun octopus.

:crossarms:

Remoraid to Octillery is a bit weird, but the idea there is that a handgun evolves into a cannon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can make a small octopus into a handgun.

It does not have to be an entirely different kind of animal.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Waffleman_ posted:

You can make a small octopus into a handgun.

No need, there's already a Handgun Pokemon. :v:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

They don't even need to go that far, just teach the ones you have better. For their own sakes, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finally! I reached the end. Loved the Yellow LP and just lost the time to read for a while, but here I am. I am depressed we aren't using Eevee again.

Aithon posted:

evolving if the player holds their system upside down, like Inkay.

What. I didn't even believe you, I ran to Bulbapedia to look it up. How on Earth are you supposed to know to do that if you don't have a guide?

• Locked thread