Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So what is a good TTL speedlite for cannon. This is the second time (that stupid best buy warranty paid for itself twice now) I've burnt through a basic ETTL speedlite, and I actually will get something that shouldn't have the internal fuse burn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ryand-Smith posted:

So what is a good TTL speedlite for cannon. This is the second time (that stupid best buy warranty paid for itself twice now) I've burnt through a basic ETTL speedlite, and I actually will get something that shouldn't have the internal fuse burn out.

Like burned through by rapid firing it too much? Even top of the line speedlights melt if you rapid fire full power through them a bunch.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'll be out on a camping / hiking trip for a week this summer, and I want to reevaluate my current choice of camera strap (BlackRapid Metro) as it doesn't seem to be able to carry my 7DmkII (~2lbs) + Sigma 150-600mm (~6 lbs) without sagging while I walk. I also carry a backpack bag with me with my macro and wide lens, which would be nice to keep bringing with me. With all that in mind, what's my best option for carrying everything around without getting too sweaty? I typically keep my camera strap screwed on the 600mm lens, if I need to swap to another lens the Sigma stays on the strap, so I'd be interested in a solution that keeps both the Sigma and camera tied to something so I can't drop either, but I'm not sure how possible that is.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
A holster maybe? I'm also interested in the topic, since I'm typically lugging about the same weight for hours on end.

I used a ThinkTank Retro 20, but after an hour it starts to really hurt my shoulder. Now I mostly use a guragear backpack + black rapid strap but it's not optimal.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Gordy sling strap?

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/neck-sling/index.htm

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've used a think tank belt/holster for a few spartan races when I had to move around with 2-3 lenses and really liked it. You can also get a set of mesh shoulder straps for them if you need. It was a super hot weekend in July around Chicago and the setup didn't bother me at all.

E: Action shot :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 10, 2016

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
ND filter recommendation for 2016? Taking a Fuji xt-10 on vacation with a 16mm lens for outdoors photos and wanted to prevent some of that bright sky blowout.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Opioid posted:

ND filter recommendation for 2016? Taking a Fuji xt-10 on vacation with a 16mm lens for outdoors photos and wanted to prevent some of that bright sky blowout.

Get one variable ND and one graduated ND.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KEH has a "happy hour" from 4-6PM eastern time today. Code "SMILE512" gives you 15% off flashes and 25% off accessories.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Recommend me a new bag/backpack. My old Tamrac is winding down its life. The zippers are hard to operate, and it really, it's just too small.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to pack in at least 4 lenses, as well as the usual bag litter.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Recommend me a new bag/backpack. My old Tamrac is winding down its life. The zippers are hard to operate, and it really, it's just too small.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to pack in at least 4 lenses, as well as the usual bag litter.

I can tell you what to avoid. Don't get the Manfrotto Stile sling bag. It's nicely made and has some neat features but holy poo poo that single strap kills the one shoulder that all your poo poo is now hanging off. THe idea is that you can swing it around from your back to your front without taking it off, and when it's in front of you, it's hanging horizontally with the camera compartment on top. Which sounds cool except that if you are a lady with any kind of chest or a guy who's either taller or rounder than average, the bag is going to be jammed under your chin if you do that. It's a pain to just pick up and move around too, because you can't just sling it over the off shoulder as it doesn't hang right, you need to put it on over your head every time. Hope you don't have long hair or wear a hat.

It is a nicely made bag though, mine gets used as cabin baggage if I'm not taking anything heavy with me and for lens storage the rest of the time.

In non-bag related camera gear news however, I bought this today.

1930 Ihagee Photoklapp Duplex. F. Deckel 105mm f/4.5 lens by Iain Compton, on Flickr

It's beautiful and in perfect condition. Even all the velvet light seals are like new. The wallet has three 6.5x9 film holders in it.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 14, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KEH with a few deals today now until 2PM Eastern Time

2-day shipping in the contiguous USA: Code PYP-2DAY
10% off Lens Converters: Code PYP-10LC
15% off Flashes: Code PYP-15FL
25% off any other accessories: Code PYP-25AC

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Has anyone else gotten a mailer from KEH warning that their servers were compromised and that your personal information may have been stolen? I'm a little wary about using them now.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Has anyone else gotten a mailer from KEH warning that their servers were compromised and that your personal information may have been stolen? I'm a little wary about using them now.

I haven't gotten anything. I just emailed them to see if there's anything going on - I'll update the thread when I get a response.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I read about that in a UK newspaper the other day, they are not sure if it's just addresses or credit card details as well.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
CC info looks to be stolen. There's a bunch of posts on dpreview with keh customers getting fraudulent charges on their CC.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anarkii posted:

CC info looks to be stolen. There's a bunch of posts on dpreview with keh customers getting fraudulent charges on their CC.

How do you get CC info stolen in this day and age? Like I understand, because I've coded a purchasing platform before, but still. Also, screw them for not responding to my email in a timely manner - still waiting on a response.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can understand it. I too am Jewish, and have come across many websites designed by Cousin Ishmael's boy, he also does our photography, talented young man, he'll go far.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I used to do work for an ecommerce site that had CC info emailed to the store's clerk, where it would sit unencrypted on their computer's outlook file so they could process each transaction manually. That's how it gets stolen.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Could be good old fashioned social engineering too. There have been several large companies this year so far where someone has convinced an HR person to email out employee W2 data to them via phishing emails.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Helicity posted:

How do you get CC info stolen in this day and age? Like I understand, because I've coded a purchasing platform before, but still. Also, screw them for not responding to my email in a timely manner - still waiting on a response.

Worth noting, the actual cost of online PCI compliance with competence in both people and hardware is in the millions of dollars

If your seller can't possibly be making that much and has not outsourced their payment processing, do not give them a credit card number.

PCI compliance consultants will insist it isn't true, but that's because they get paid by the hour to help write documents refuting the applicability of requirements and providing pseudo remediation plans or processes, like you know, yeah sure their system emails the credit card number in plain text to the billing department but the recipient is supposed to delete them after 90 days.

Even Peggy, who is out in maternity leave for a year, forwarded all her emails to her hotmail account, and keeps her passwords to everything taped to her monitor.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

windex posted:

Worth noting, the actual cost of online PCI compliance with competence in both people and hardware is in the millions of dollars

If your seller can't possibly be making that much and has not outsourced their payment processing, do not give them a credit card number.

As someone that's prepped an ecommerce app for PCI compliance, it is indeed a huge PITA. It seems like KEH could have either outsourced and done something really stupid on the only part they have access to, or they tried doing it in-house, which I guess is equally really stupid.

Oh well, my last few transactions with them haven't been amazing anyways.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'd like to point out that even big places have issues. I've had to change credit card numbers thanks to both Sony and Adobe in the last few years.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've been getting a ton of advertisment to my spam e-mail from them in the past 2 weeks. Could the two be more than correlation? Is my crap compromised?

All started the 11th of May.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I haven't purchased anything from them since before the site was redesigned and I haven't gotten any mailers or emails about this breach. Wondering if maybe they changed systems and only people who have ordered since then are affected.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

I haven't purchased anything from them since before the site was redesigned and I haven't gotten any mailers or emails about this breach. Wondering if maybe they changed systems and only people who have ordered since then are affected.

Same, I haven't gotten any emails about this either. Makes me think it was a particular computer or server that was hit.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

windex posted:

Even Peggy, who is out in maternity leave for a year, forwarded all her emails to her hotmail account, and keeps her passwords to everything taped to her monitor.

FWIW, having your passwords taped to your monitor is probably one of the safest ways to store them at home. At a workplace less so, but that's what keyboards are good for.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What shall we do with this old server now we've got our nice shiny new one? I know lads let's throw it in the skip outside. Should we wipe it first? Naw.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's astonishing just how many sites get password hashing wrong let alone PCI compliance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most of the bad password storage implementations are probably prefixed by a comment along the lines of "TODO: this is just a placeholder, after I get a chance to research proper implementations."

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
One of the major database software providers for YMCAs across the country stores member online registration passwords in plain text. On a conference call with them, I asked how we could enable encryption to protect our members. Verbatim: "at this time, we currently don't support password encryption."

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Microsoft's dirty little secret is that anyone with admin access can see Office 365 passwords in plain text.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Travel photography help here.

I'm going to Nepal in October, hiking the Annapurna Circuit. I want to make sure I have everything photography related I need well in advance so it's once less thing to worry about closer to departure. I'll be hiking the circuit for just over 3 weeks probably. I don't want to take too much gear as I will be carrying all of it with me on the trip in my hiking backpack. So far this is what I'll be bringing:

Canon 6D
24-105 F4 L
Circular Polarizer
MeFoto Road Trip tripod
2 x 32gb SD cards (will probably get one or two more, I'll be in the Himalayas after all)
Peak Design Capture Clip
1 spare battery (I'll be staying in teahouses every night with electricity)
Charger
Lens pen, blower and cloth for cleaning
Remote shutter release

I'll mostly be shooting landscapes. Mountains and such. Maybe some street photography too. Does anyone have any suggestions on other things to bring? I always get that feeling like I'm missing something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'd want a wider lens too for that kind of landscape. Fair enough if you don't want to be switching lenses though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aphex- posted:

Travel photography help here.

I'm going to Nepal in October, hiking the Annapurna Circuit. I want to make sure I have everything photography related I need well in advance so it's once less thing to worry about closer to departure. I'll be hiking the circuit for just over 3 weeks probably. I don't want to take too much gear as I will be carrying all of it with me on the trip in my hiking backpack. So far this is what I'll be bringing:

Canon 6D
24-105 F4 L
Circular Polarizer
MeFoto Road Trip tripod
2 x 32gb SD cards (will probably get one or two more, I'll be in the Himalayas after all)
Peak Design Capture Clip
1 spare battery (I'll be staying in teahouses every night with electricity)
Charger
Lens pen, blower and cloth for cleaning
Remote shutter release

I'll mostly be shooting landscapes. Mountains and such. Maybe some street photography too. Does anyone have any suggestions on other things to bring? I always get that feeling like I'm missing something.

Don't assume that you'll have access to a working electricity supply every night. Depending on how quickly you burn through batteries, you might want to consider another spare one.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

powderific posted:

I feel like I'd want a wider lens too for that kind of landscape. Fair enough if you don't want to be switching lenses though.

Oh I know what you mean. My friend has a 17-40 I could potentially borrow but yeah, I don't think I'd enjoy switching lenses so much. I do want to invest in a good wide angle in the future though.

spog posted:

Don't assume that you'll have access to a working electricity supply every night. Depending on how quickly you burn through batteries, you might want to consider another spare one.

Yeah, I'm most likely going to get a second spare. I've done a fair bit of reading about other people's experiences and it seems like the electricity is mostly reliable but obviously you can't count on it. Another thing I need to find is some kind of universal plug adapter too because apparently there's no standard in Nepal.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 8, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno how much space/weight you're willing to spare, but you might be glad to have it along if the 17-40 is available for borrowing rather than buying. That's enough range that you wouldn't necessarily be swapping all the time.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Blackrapid strap is essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Weatherproof cover
Couple of bags of silica gel in case your stuff gets damp
Another SD card or two. 32GB holds about 1000 RAW files from a FF camera. If you aren't going to be regularly dumping images to an external drive during your trip, you'll probably want more capacity.