Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Also Zarya is hella fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Kashuno posted:

Why did I not play zenyatta sooner holy gently caress

If Zenyatta either got a little more health or a different ult he'd be amazing. As it is he's fun but basically Challenge Mode.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kashuno posted:

:zenpop:Ignorance is the path to failure. :zenpop:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

If Zenyatta either got a little more health or a different ult he'd be amazing. As it is he's fun but basically Challenge Mode.

his ult makes it really hard to kill your dudes and also you're invincible so it's not that bad. he's not that hard to succeed with

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

sleepness posted:

There is something so satisfying killing Mcree with Mei any other hero

ftfy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Viva Miriya posted:

Also Zarya is hella fun

She was my biggest surprise for Overwatch picks, my #1 now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
1 game after having fun I got teamed with 2 junkrat/3 mccree team :shepicide:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my experience with zen ult in solo queue is that your team actively avoids being in your aura, and my experience with zen ult in organized games is that people save rip tire or high noon for it and you get wiped anyway

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Give Zen 25 more shields and increase his movespeed to match Tracer and Genji :greencube:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man I'm impressed by how much I'm enjoying this game, Lúcio definitely my favorite so far

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In-houses for tonight are starting! I'm streaming it, my stream quality is much higher than it was before

http://www.hitbox.tv/Countblanc

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Give Zen 25 more shields and increase his movespeed to match Tracer and Genji :greencube:

Don't all heroes have the same base movement speed?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that while certain characters definitely feel slower or faster, everyone leaves the spawn-room at the same speed. Except for Soldier 76 and his sprint.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I was really annoyed when I unlocked a cool legendary skin for him out of a level up crate, but then I started playing him and realized he's way more fun and satisfying to use than Lucio. There's something about shoving my balls in Mercy's face that's really satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_vGog7w3fk

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that while certain characters definitely feel slower or faster, everyone leaves the spawn-room at the same speed. Except for Soldier 76 and his sprint.

Pretty sure Mercy has a slower move speed than most of the other heros if not all. But I haven't done any science on this.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

GreyPowerVan posted:

Except for Tracer and Genji who are the same speed and slightly faster than the others, yes.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Velthice posted:

i just picked this up last night. on a scale from 1 to league of legends, how much am i going to be screamed at for jumping in just having played the tutorial and dicking around with a few heroes in practice? i kinda wanna play a bit before the weekend where i can just play with my friends, but i ain't really in the mood to deal with nerds screaming about playing video games wrong either

It's been very good about that stuff, partially because everyone's still kinda new and also they don't give out lots of stats about stuff so nobody notices. Just don't be the 3rd sniper and you'll be fine.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Except for Tracer and Genji who are the same speed and slightly faster than the others, yes.

Roadhog is definitely slower than the others.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

everyone moves at 5.5 whatevers while tracer and genji move at 6

Rather Dashing posted:

Roadhog is definitely slower than the others.

that's just perspective

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

a cat on an apple posted:

I like to think I'm not a sore loser but honestly it's just frustrating when matchmaking pairs me with a group of people so far above and beyond what my team is capable of doing that I really have to wonder why the matchmaking decided to match me with them out of 7 million players.

I had a game like this last night, where I was the highest level on my team at 32 and the enemy team had two high-60s and three mid-70s. I've never seen a team get beaten so badly in any multiplayer game. I think we may have actually not scored a single kill all match. I had a gold medal in total damage with 800 dealt.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm 5-years-old and I made this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played a game with two players over level 100 and it didn't feel any different from my normal matches. Level doesn't mean as much as you think.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
holy poo poo a legen-

am I gonna be yelled at when play of the game shows green haired young genji :(

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that genji boy has no taste. he's lucky mercy started dressing him

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Kawabata posted:

holy poo poo a legen-

i got the same skin and got called out on it on the only time i got potg using it, so your odds are 100%

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Tom Gorman posted:

i got the same skin and got called out on it on the only time i got potg using it, so your odds are 100%

gently caress

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kawabata posted:

holy poo poo a legen-

Why are you worried when you'll never get POTG anyways?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
yung thug genji is legit a Good Skin, Chrome is just better

my favorite characters are the most Metal Gear characters - Old Snake, Cyborg Ninja, and... I guess Tracer can be Major Zero from MGS3, they're both British dorks

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are you worried when you'll never get POTG anyways?

You can be a mediocre Genji and still get potg every 3-4 games for decent to bad ults, the algorithm is dumb like that.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Internet Kraken posted:

I played a game with two players over level 100 and it didn't feel any different from my normal matches. Level doesn't mean as much as you think.

Like scoreboards its just people finding something to put the blame on~!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Drakes posted:

Like tickrate its just people finding something to put the blame on

Fixed and reiterated unironically

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alkydere posted:

This blows my mind.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

First of all: I want to make it clear that I am not offended. I myself am a high-functioning autistic, and I know that sometimes it takes a while for people who meet me to recognize my own psychological differentiation.

I am, however, confused.

Various online sources have suggested that Symmetra is supposedly on the autistic spectrum, and while I haven't seen the official stance myself I do recall reading that apparently some Blizzard employee tweeted affirmative. That said, none of Symmetra's characterization thus far seems to indicate her being on the spectrum--maybe being OCD, and seeing herself as a hero with high standards, but nothing that I would see as familiar in either myself or the other members of the spectrum I have met. I would describe my own experience with autism as "Body language is a foreign language;" I did take many psychology and theatre classes to learn how people emoted, but to this day there are so many things I miss and I'm honestly more comfortable when communication is limited to text or voice, rather than legit face to face. Symmetra... does not seem to have anything quite like this in her character, although there isn't anything that says she isn't autistic either.

To that end, I'm going to list a few possible ways to demonstrate her autism below. I recognize that I am not a developer, and that the developers can choose to ignore my choices, and that the implementation of any of these might have come about independently; these are to be honest reflections on my own experiences and only meant to explain what I mean.

Being sarcasm blind is kind of a staple of autism; we are aware it exists, but a lot of the subtle tells we give and receive are lost in translation. Voice lines where Symmetra clarifies "I was being sarcastic," or awkwardly checks "That was sarcasm, right?" might be an easy way to emphasize the hard time she has reading others.

Symmetra might react well to being called fit or graceful, as she is a dancer. However, being called beautiful or pretty would result in confusion, irritation, or just ignoring the comment; unless she is explicitly trying to look good, being told she looks good is as irrelevant as being told her dress is blue.

Because of our lack of body language comprehension, autistic people tend to avoid eye contact as the face is a very complex and subtle thing that can overwhelm us while we try to interpret it. It would not surprise me if Symmetra constantly wore her visor so she could have a filter while she looked people 'in the eye'; any time she is without it might be a time where she refuses to meet people's gaze, although she might not realize it.

Speaking of face contact, Symmetra might find socializing with Omnics easier because of their lack of face. In fact, she might find Bastion easier to be comfortable around then Zenyatta; the lack of words and very precise body language makes for a very clear emotional projection, so she wouldn't feel as awkward as trying to guess what others are feeling (or mentally trying to dissect Zenyatta's neck every time she looks at him).

As to the visor, it might be neat to have another architech put it on and comment on how strangely the data feeds are organized; autistic people don't learn the 'normal' way of thinking as easily as others, because of our lack of body language comprehension leading to not realizing that this or that suggestion is considered important. It would also be amusing to see Symmetra become offended at the architech's confusion, as to her the data feeds are graceful and orderly.

Symmetra might drop in and out of conversations without warning, as most autistic people don't quite grasp the concept of small talk; why talk when it's not relevant, and why keep silent when it is? She could also be annoyed if, for example, Billy Joe Johnson says "OH MY GOSH THE FESTIVAL IS FRIDAY!" if he had asked her to go to the festival on friday a few days ago, because she might see it as repeating something she knows.

Many autistic people have little gestures they do, generally as a way to move their thoughts along; it wouldn't surprise me if Symmetra played with her light sculptures or did some minor dance moves while she walked (in non combat scenarios). She might awkwardly stop if she notices anyone watching her, since it's sort of exposing her mind and that's private; admittedly, that might be more artistic then autistic, the whole "don't show your work while unfinished," but I've had that experience myself.

Symmetra being called autistic while demonstrating no signs of autism that I can recognize is more... annoying then offensive to me. I don't use my autism to excuse my actions, but I have heard of plenty of people who are jerks and justify it by saying "I'm autistic!" even if they really aren't. Symmetra does not seem to do that--she doesn't let autism define her--but at the same time I would have thought it would influence her to some degree.

That said, I do like her character, both storywise and gameplaywise. She might be offended at how I play her--placing turrets in chaotically random positions instead of anything orderly--but in the end I think she's a very reasonable and remarkable part of the Overwatch cast.

you sure?

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sanctum posted:

I'm 5-years-old and I made this.

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Munsun posted:

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.

the commas man, the commas made all the difference in that amazing intro

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

FAUXTON posted:

Fixed and reiterated unironically

This hurts :negative:.

Doesn't happen often but my oh poo poo button doesn't always pull through.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I need to play with goons because I don't like pub comps anymore.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fadam posted:

Don't solo queue ever. This game isn't worth playing unless you are on a team with at least 4 people you know.

All I play is PS4 solo queue and rarely have any bad games or games where the teams are stacked unevenly. This game has the best solo matchmaking I've ever seen.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there people who actually think skill increases linearly with time played?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

matchmaking in this game is just honestly bad and idk why. I almost never see a game where one team doesn't just crushes the other, tho part of that is that defense is better than offense on a lot of maps

CJ posted:

Are there people who actually think skill increases linearly with time played?

it does to a degree because obviously you're gonna get a little better once you know how to play the game. like a max rank dude isn't necessarily gonna be good, but he'll definitely be better than he was at level 1

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 4, 2016