Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*Corrode gloves are not good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I did a Felid of Nem once. It was surprisingly fun.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Nemelex decks could also just be made to scale off invocations like other god abilities.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nemelex decks could also just be made to scale off invocations like other god abilities.

that is literally what I just suggested

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SirSamVimes posted:

that is literally what I just suggested
Somehow I only read the response and assumed the suggestion was to just remove deck scaling. Sorry I failed to read.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kalstrams posted:

*Corrode gloves are not good, right?
Unless the other stuff on it is great, yeah. *Confuse and *Corrode aren't quite as bad as they seem because they don't trigger very often(I've been very happy with *Confuse body armor before), but they're still non-insignificant downsides and for auxiliary armor you'd need something pretty good.

Like on a beefy character I would probably wear +3 gloves of Slaying+3 rF+ *Corrode, for example. Probably. But I would still not be super into it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kalstrams posted:

I see. I still don't understand, though, how it is intended behaviour for rod skill to not to change graphical display once it is enabled and graphically cycle only between disabled and focused, as well as for dodging and stealth to not have graphical representation for just enabled, while grpahical indicators of armour/fighting/m&f seem to have three graphically distinct states.

No, I agree with you. It'd be nice to have another color for 'enabled but not being trained' for that tiles menu (as opposed to the normal one). Just a small thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

World Famous W posted:

Just started up a TeAE. Did they change the autotarget with spells like Shock or so that they will target a wall if it will get the extra damage bounce in, cause it seems to be doing that somewhat and I like it. Maybe it always did and I never noticed.
Yeah, that's new.

Although it seems to be applying it to fireballs too, which results in some weird aim. Like it aiming at a wall corner and hitting one dude, instead of aiming directly on them and getting another monster in the AOE.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kalstrams posted:

I see. I still don't understand, though, how it is intended behaviour for rod skill to not to change graphical display once it is enabled and graphically cycle only between disabled and focused, as well as for dodging and stealth to not have graphical representation for just enabled, while grpahical indicators of armour/fighting/m&f seem to have three graphically distinct states.

I think it's because you have automatic training on.

You can "turn on" evocations (at least I think that's what the rod skill is, I don't play offline tiles much) but the autotraining system still decides to put 0% of your xp into it because you don't actually have anything in your inventory that uses the skill.

If you enable manual training then the game will always put xp into every skill you have turned on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
*Corrode and *Confuse are resisted if you have resist Corrode/Clarity, right?

Seems like, most of the time, how I feel about using randarts with those effects is pretty strongly linked with how secure I am in my Clarity/Corrode resist.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is there a proper way to get the quick weapon swap to work if you're using a shield? I get why I can't swap from 1h+shield to a bow (there's two items there instead of 1, extra time for the swap, etc), but as a lazy casual shitter who mostly plays crawl when I'm sleepy as mindless relaxation, it'd certainly make me feel better about training crossbows/bows on characters using shields if I could quick swap to them like I can on 2h wielding characters.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Get a hand crossbow.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Or invest in slings. Both Hunting and Great slings are onehanded (unless you are little)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I always go throwing when I'm using shields for basically exactly that reason.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
OK, i tweaked skill training tiles for the situation kalstrams is in.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I always go throwing when I'm using shields for basically exactly that reason.

This is what I've been doing, just wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious I was missing about making it work another way.

Thanks.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

For some reason I had it in my head that pandemonium was the hardest area and cleared everything else out first. Imagine my half surprise half disappointment when it turned out that the worst day in pandemonium was equal to a bad encounter on a normal hell floor. Just took a lot of walking around.

Didn't do any Ziggurats because god drat, I got every rune, what more can you expect of someone? Guess this means I beat the game and I'm done forever, right? I won't ever grind out more victories on casters and stabbers, right? :shepicide:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like pan less than hell but I don't know if that means it's harder. Not being able to reliably get out is annoying and has killed me before. In hell if you're playing super carefully you can usually escape to the vestibule when you start getting clobbered.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Here's a Nemelex thought:
Just add a 1* ability to shuffle decks into your "god deck" with drawing based around piety.
Other god worshipers can still use decks but when you worship Nem you learn to stack them. Abilities help pick which deck the card comes from, higher piety = higher chance, etc. Decks you shuffle into your "god deck" influence what deck the card you get comes from, eventually with higher piety being able to pick the deck but not the card. Also other abilities in between.
I dont know the answer but nemelex is super boring now especially with pekallas being around. Just remove nem if no solution is found, because, why would you EVER pick him nowadays?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

To me it feels like Nemelex will never be truly strong as long as his abilities are so random. Fun, sure, sometimes. But no matter how strong cards are and how much you can mitigate the bad luck sometimes, there are other times where you draw Degeneration and polymorph Gastronok into a shard shrike on Lair:1.

(He literally killed me from full health in one hit.)

Sometimes it feels like playing with a version of Xom that you choose when he acts up, but you still don't know whether it'll be good or bad.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
He used to seem more fun, but maybe that was just when you sac'd for wonders and got super leveled up or mutated or weird stuff like portals. Now we have an evocations god that actually IS fun, and is random because you don't know what rod and wands you have to use for your early game. Nem needs a fix that makes him less random, or at least not have to carry around like 10 decks that have 1-5 cards identified. He's kinda unfun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Nemelex being random is fun.

The problem with Nemelex is that woshipping him costs 1/4th of your inventory space.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Any particularly interesting differences between .18 and trunk right now?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
2 new gods.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
RIP easy Trog rod acquirement.

quote:

Move rod acq into misc acq

It's always been odd that it shares an acquirement class with
staves, though the two have almost nothing in common. They're much
more similar to misc evocables (see, for example, Pakellas!), and
neither can really justify an acquirement class alone, so let's
put them together and see how it goes.

Arbitrarily, there's a 1/8 chance for misc acq to give a rod.

And RIP decks. (Unless you go Nem, but who goes Nem?)

quote:

Remove decks from random generation

They're in a better place as Nemelex-only items than as random
dungeon loot; there's plenty of fun evocable effects without decks
around, especially now that decks have lost their niche as
permanent benefit engines.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Let me just open the worm can; have mutations been made less stupid? Do hell effects still give you glow?

VVV gently caress

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Let me just open the worm can; have mutations been made less stupid? Do hell effects still give you glow?

No, yes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks Crawl, that you didn't spawn a Temple.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kalstrams posted:

Thanks Crawl, that you didn't spawn a Temple.

Unless your game is literally bugging out, there's always a temple. Did you go deep enough? Up every upstairs to make sure it wasn't partitioned off from the rest of the level?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

C7ty1 posted:

Unless your game is literally bugging out, there's always a temple. Did you go deep enough? Up every upstairs to make sure it wasn't partitioned off from the rest of the level?
I went through all off D:4-7 where temple spawns (heck, I cleared game to D:11 and died in lair since I had nothing to invoke by then), and found nothing. I didn't check all the upstairs in D:5-8, but that would have not changed anything unless map was literally this:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's a thing that can happen. Sometimes parts of a floor are not connected.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
They're not going to get rid of Nemelex because it's the Crawl reference in World of Warcraft. It would be genuinely weird if my WoW character had a deck and my Crawl characters couldn't.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

IronicDongz posted:

That's a thing that can happen. Sometimes parts of a floor are not connected.

Yep! Sometimes it's a vault, sometimes map generation is wonky. Unless something very weird is at work, it's always there - you just have to find it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Arivia posted:

They're not going to get rid of Nemelex because it's the Crawl reference in World of Warcraft. It would be genuinely weird if my WoW character had a deck and my Crawl characters couldn't.

I like the idea of Nemelex, I'd be really sad to see him gone :colbert:

Although he's fairly weak because of deck nerfs and could use a boost of some sort to compensate

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
She's not even that weak, its just that Pakellas is a better god for evocations because he's crazy good. Before Pak was added she was a solid option for characters that wanted to invest in evocations.

Nemlex literally just needs a rework to the deck system so it doesn't cause inventory clutter, that's it. Inventory management is the only reason worshiping her is a pain in the rear end.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

a suggestion was made that, if nemelex was removed, we would have to add our own Last Deck of Nemelex Xobeh unrand.

it'd be only fair.

(but i'm not sure how serious the talk of n-x removal is; it's very far from the first time it's come up. i'd guess pak is more likely to go than nem, for whatever that's worth...)

kalstrams posted:

I went through all off D:4-7 where temple spawns (heck, I cleared game to D:11 and died in lair since I had nothing to invoke by then), and found nothing. I didn't check all the upstairs in D:5-8, but that would have not changed anything unless map was literally this:

if you haven't died yet, please check the up-stairs and report back. humor me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

making a new system where the deck poo poo is represented by actual god-granted skills would be pretty cool. the physical decks as they are sort of feel weird now in the grand scheme of things, but i guess they were fine back when nemelex was more crufty and had that whole sacrifice system. maybe start off by letting players draw random cards which can really be most anything from the effect pool, and as they gain piety they can do the things we already know like drawing more than one at a time or peeking at the next few effects in line. have some higher-level piety stuff be 'stacking' the deck to weigh it more towards various categories of effects, with the occasional odd card out every now and then.

it would still preserve the flavor of the god while differentiating them from pakellas, who as of right now is 'the evocable god' and has actual physical items covered and can remain that way instead of nemelex having their own weird evocable that's separate entirely and only given if you worship that god.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

(but i'm not sure how serious the talk of n-x removal is; it's very far from the first time it's come up. i'd guess pak is more likely to go than nem, for whatever that's worth...)

What, why? Pak is awesome.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
pak sort of has a hard time finding a good niche. he's sort of 'the god of stronger evocations', except evocations are already pretty good, so it's hard to make him both have a meaningful impact and not be totally nuts. she's sort of the god of 'evocations as primary killdudes' (what you always thought of when you saw the 'artificer' class!), but 'evocations as primary killdudes' smells a lot like 'conjurations + summoning without the tradeoffs of either'.

then again, divinations was terrible as a spell school but worked fine as a god. there's plenty of room to build drawbacks and tradeoffs into a god's conduct, starting with 'thou shalt have no god before me'. (having to worship a god to get its benefits is itself a tradeoff!) so, who knows. that's just the sort of thing i've been reading people talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When you escape up a staircase at low hp and sigmund is waiting for you on top.
e: and now my second game after 15 runing it I open the only door out the entrance to a jackal pack and some hobgoblins. The game is punishing me for beating it.
e2:

try 3. d4 and not one potion of curing, but trying everything in my inventory and I find this:

the game is mocking me

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 5, 2016

• Locked thread