Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

thehoodie posted:

From reddit, look closely at "Luigi":

Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

IIRC Nielson boxes require you to input a code or something every so often so they can make sure you're actually watching.

Interesting.

So the patent for the tv that pauses and unpauses when you obey your corp. overlord and shout IM LOVING IT isn't exactly new.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

thehoodie posted:

Malory is going to be so mad.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

HopperUK posted:

Malory is going to be so mad.

I bet she hasn't been that pissed off since Prohibition.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume they'll realize it's a cyborg once they fish it out of the pool and the next season will open up with Archer on some tropical island drunk out of his mind while Mallory tries to find him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

a shameful boehner posted:

Krieger showed that he had at least two clones of himself, so it would be easy for them to write in a second Archer clone being the body in the pool.

Yeah, my second theory for next season is that there were two shot up Archerbots and the real Archer went to Mexico. On the beach. Dancing naked. Etc.

Whenever they keep coming back to something again and again, you know it's going to be important.

EDIT - just saw the screenshot. Welp. Looks like theory number two it is.

Double edit: just checked my own copy to make sure it wasn't photoshopped.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 4, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Archer you son of a bitch, always two steps ahead of everyone..sometimes.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

xzzy posted:

I assume they'll realize it's a cyborg once they fish it out of the pool and the next season will open up with Archer on some tropical island drunk out of his mind while Mallory tries to find him.

Maybe there'll be pirates!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Maybe there'll be pirates!

Space pirates! Under the sea! With some sort of undersea laboratory!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Space pirates! Under the sea! With some sort of undersea laboratory!

That they use to prepare and sell cocaine to dealers across the US and Central America!

...Man, looking back this show has gone to some weird places.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's one of the things I love most about it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I wonder if there were concerns about it not getting picked up for season 8. Cause if so it's a pretty genius ending- if it gets picked up, Luigi was Archer (holy poo poo, love it) and if not, they ended the show by filling the main character full of holes. The end: no moral!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Diet Poison posted:

I wonder if there were concerns about it not getting picked up for season 8. Cause if so it's a pretty genius ending- if it gets picked up, Luigi was Archer (holy poo poo, love it) and if not, they ended the show by filling the main character full of holes. The end: no moral!

That's actually exactly it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/02/archer-producers-on-that-big-finale-twist-archer-may-be-dead.html

quote:

Since FX has yet to renew the animated spy series for an eighth season—which creator Adam Reed and executive producers Matt Thompson and Casey Willis knew going into this one—did they purposely leave the finale open-ended in case the show was canceled?

“Yup,” Thompson tells The Daily Beast. “How’s that for an answer? You know, FX hasn’t picked the show up yet. We don’t know. Archer might be dead. We have some ideas, but you know, it’s very much sitting right there. That could be it.”

“We’re talking about it, just nothing’s set in stone yet,” says Thompson. “They like to really control that message, too, so we’ll probably find out when everybody else finds out,” adds Willis. “We’re going ahead and forming ideas and getting ready for whatever happens, so if it happens, we’ll be ready, and if not, we’ll have a bunch of ideas that we’ll probably throw out on the internet!”

While the Archer creative team may be preparing for the worst, sources close to the production tell The Daily Beast that a renewal looks promising—and that the Archer gang will be attending this year’s San Diego Comic-Con in July where they’ll potentially debut some never-before-seen footage.

"We have a definite plan and definite ideas of where we’re going to go from here. We are scheduled to be at Comic-Con, and I feel we’ll know by then,” says Willis. “But I can say 100 percent positive that Archer would be a private eye in the next season.”

So, there you have it. If they aren't renewed, Archer is dead. If they are, he'll be a PI next season.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I hope it's renewed because the PI theme works really well for the show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I love the theme.

I kind of hope that Archer ends up coming back for a big reveal only to find that they've all moved on and are doing basically fine without him, if not slightly better in terms of competence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Like the Ghost of Christmas Future, only not.

Lana and Ray would do so incredibly much better on most missions without Archer there to deliberately gently caress things up out of pettiness.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Gorilla Salad posted:

Double edit: just checked my own copy to make sure it wasn't photoshopped.

Randy?!

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Kesper North posted:

That's one of the things I love most about it.

This.

I also know I'm going to be super pissed if Archer ends without an Archer/Predator crossover.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Titan posted:

I hope it's renewed because the PI theme works really well for the show.
The first seven episodes had some of the funniest moments on Archer since Season 3. They didn't stick the landing, though.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Randy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Get your eyes checked, scrub. That's clearly Lando.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

The first seven episodes had some of the funniest moments on Archer since Season 3. They didn't stick the landing, though.

7 out of 10 is pretty good. Especially when compared to Vice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Too obscure?"

The show has become self-aware. :golfclap:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So is it Archer's plan to frame Veronica Dean for his own murder so that she runs away to mexico with him?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Skippy McPants posted:

So is it Archer's plan to frame Veronica Dean for his own murder so that she runs away to mexico with him?

:golfclap:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Too obscure?"

The show has become self-aware. :golfclap:

Yeah, I've read all of the Asimov Robot books and didn't remember him.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

thehoodie posted:

:stare: This loving show!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Not only did they do the "Too obscure?" joke, but then the two cops had no idea what the Turing Test was. :allears:

My least favorite thing about this show is the obscurity of a lot of their references, but I give them credit for seeming to acknowledge it.

a shameful boehner posted:

Krieger showed that he had at least two clones of himself, so it would be easy for them to write in a second Archer clone being the body in the pool.

That's what I was fully expecting going in. Two clones to get multiple recordings of her confession, with actual Archer not shown.

bull3964 posted:

So, there you have it. If they aren't renewed, Archer is dead. If they are, he'll be a PI next season.

I remember this being done with Southland- if the show was cancelled John's fate was left to the viewer, but if they were picked back up, it was possible he survived.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I honestly can't imagine that nobody else would pick up Archer if FX suddenly cans it for some reason. Streaming services at the very least would love to have the built-in audience that comes with it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I honestly can't imagine that nobody else would pick up Archer if FX suddenly cans it for some reason. Streaming services at the very least would love to have the built-in audience that comes with it.

Apparently Reed/Thompson are wanting to do a live-action film based on Archer, and they have Jon Hamm in mind to play Sterling: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/03/archer-producers-want-jon-hamm-for-live-action-movie.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't know if this has been posted but that article led me to the article on the models used for the characters in Archer.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/archer-characters-real-life-models/slideshow/2/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

Apparently Reed/Thompson are wanting to do a live-action film based on Archer, and they have Jon Hamm in mind to play Sterling: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/03/archer-producers-want-jon-hamm-for-live-action-movie.html

H. Jon Benjamin in a wig :colbert: The voice is more important than the look. Hell just have the whole cast play themselves. Outside of Adam Reed as Gillette, they're all close enough. Put Amber Nash in a fat suit.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I hope they renew it. That season was easily better than the last three seasons.

Except for episode 8. That episode sucked out lout for some reason.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My prediction is that they'll renew Archer but demote it to FXX. That's what they were planning on doing this season until a few months before it started.

I'd be all for that. They proved that they can still make very funny episodes this season. There's still some gas left in the tank.

Also, as hilarious as it would be to see Jon Benjamin play a live-action Archer in a movie, I think Jon Hamm has the looks and the attitude to make it work. But they should keep Judy Greer, Jessica Walter and Aisha Tyler as the characters that they voice. Amber Nash in a fat suit probably won't cut it because of the back tattoo, which is too bad... she'd be great as an IRL Pam.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 6, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Has anything ever successfully gone from cartoon to live action? Those Flintstones movies I guess? I have a hard time believing it could work. The show's flow involves so many jokes; it would be like a 90-minute episode of "30 Rock" or something.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Has anything ever successfully gone from cartoon to live action? Those Flintstones movies I guess?
hahahaha nope

There's always a first time for everything.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Y-Hat posted:

My prediction is that they'll renew Archer but demote it to FXX. That's what they were planning on doing this season until a few months before it started.

I'd be all for that. They proved that they can still make very funny episodes this season. There's still some gas left in the tank.

Also, as hilarious as it would be to see Jon Benjamin play a live-action Archer in a movie, I think Jon Hamm has the looks and the attitude to make it work. But they should keep Judy Greer, Jessica Walter and Aisha Tyler as the characters that they voice. Amber Nash in a fat suit probably won't cut it because of the back tattoo, which is too bad... she'd be great as an IRL Pam.

The back tattoo would be easy to add in. You could probably do that with Adobe Aftereffects.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

"Suck it, Alan Turing!" is a pretty great way to end a season, IMO

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

Has anything ever successfully gone from cartoon to live action?

The recent Jungle Book movie was pretty good. First Ninja Turtles movie, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

PostNouveau posted:

The show's flow involves so many jokes; it would be like a 90-minute episode of "30 Rock" or something.

That sounds like my dream movie. When I used to try to get people to watch 30 Rock, that was my pitch, the ridiculous density of jokes.

• Locked thread