Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Otakufag posted:

Why does everyone here hate Chrollo so much? I think he's a lot more interesting than Hisoka who always pulls wins out of his rear end with the power of rubber and gum.

It's interesting to see him win with just 2-3 basic powers used in creative ways. Chrollo is just "I have three dozen powers and can use 5 at the same time. Bad luck".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Shugojin posted:

That's because Hisoka actually displays emotions. I mean okay the emotions are glee and arousal and both related to murder but they are there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLHd4BQIiGw

literally chrollo's whole schtick

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I like Chrollo and hope he doesnt die.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chrollo could be an interesting character, but right now he really isn't. He's just a stereotypical "emotionless sociopath"-type villain, with the only interesting caveat being that he seems to genuinely care about the other Ryoudan members (and possibly also Meteor City). If they somehow further elaborated about his motivations then he might be more interesting and less seemingly cliche.

I mean, he's still a pretty good villain, but not nearly as unique and interesting as Hisoka (particularly his character design/clothes, which seem exactly like something a Japanese teenager in the 90's might think is cool).

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Hisoka is better than Chrollo b/c he's just more fun. His motivations are insane, but they're still easy for you to grasp and he pursues his goals with such over-the-top glee and earnestness that its impossible not to have fun watching him. Chrollo isnt bad either but he's kind of a smug dick lord

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I have to admit, I have no idea what is going on in this fight and how. And it's not the first time in HxH. I was already lost when Chrollo was explaining his abilities. I just trust that everything that happens is within whatever nen's rules are (hell I got lost when that was being explained way back when). It really hasn't made the fights any less fun.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Law Cheetah posted:

Hisoka is better than Chrollo b/c he's just more fun. His motivations are insane, but they're still easy for you to grasp and he pursues his goals with such over-the-top glee and earnestness that its impossible not to have fun watching him. Chrollo isnt bad either but he's kind of a smug dick lord

Hisoka is fun so he seems 'better'. Chrollo OTOH actually has depth in his character as well as consistency.

Basically, people are rooting for Hisoka because Hisoka is the standard "gently caress you I am a genius" and the whole fight consisting of him being outmanoeuvred and out-classed clash with what people like thinking about him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arkeus posted:

Hisoka is fun so he seems 'better'. Chrollo OTOH actually has depth in his character as well as consistency.

Basically, people are rooting for Hisoka because Hisoka is the standard "gently caress you I am a genius" and the whole fight consisting of him being outmanoeuvred and out-classed clash with what people like thinking about him.

Chrollo does not have much depth to his character.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

It's interesting to see him win with just 2-3 basic powers used in creative ways. Chrollo is just "I have three dozen powers and can use 5 at the same time. Bad luck".

Yeah. Guy who masters the use of a couple simple powers is more interesting than guy who just has all the powers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Chrollo is a horrible monster for the sake of being a horrible monster. Hisoka is a horrible monster for the sake of feeding his murder boner. Hisoka is still somehow the more sympathetic of the two.

Chrollo's motivations are quite vague, really. Didn't he say he wanted to start a revolution on behalf of the dead or something like that? And there was a brief flashback of him being obsessed with a videotape?

Hisoka's motivations, on the other hand, are actually very straightforward. We don't know much of his backstory aside from his family being poor, but we don't really need any.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

With this fight I feel like we've seen everything out of Hisoka. Chrollo has potential to go into new directions if Togashi manages to fight off the crippling back pain.

Also I want the dramatic reveal where Chrollo uses the Nen of a good guy

and justice for gotoh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hisoka is going to show more than 2 nen abilities

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tonfa posted:

With this fight I feel like we've seen everything out of Hisoka. Chrollo has potential to go into new directions if Togashi manages to fight off the crippling back pain.

Also I want the dramatic reveal where Chrollo uses the Nen of a good guy

and justice for gotoh

You are going to have to accept the stark reality that power stealers will never really be that interesting in any form of fiction, ever. It's the laziest power ever.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I think power stealing is interesting in a world where abilities are all unique and most of the time beat overwhelming dbz power. Besides, it's shown there are limitations, not like that resurrection crap in Naruto.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem is the powers are unique so stealing powers is just boring outside of a one off fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka has a very small edge in that Chrollo would likely prefer to take him alive. While Chrollo obviously isn't dependent on his current power combo, consider what he could do with exploding puppets if bungee gum was added to the mix.

Besides, who wouldn't want to have the power of both rubber and gum?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the thing Hisoka is actually about to do that he'd rather not do but is only going to do because he'd probably die otherwise is stop playing games

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hisoka has a very small edge in that Chrollo would likely prefer to take him alive. While Chrollo obviously isn't dependent on his current power combo, consider what he could do with exploding puppets if bungee gum was added to the mix.

Besides, who wouldn't want to have the power of both rubber and gum?

I really don't think Chrollo wants to take him alive. This strikes me as more of an "okay fine, lets get this out of the way so I don't have to deal with you chasing me" thing.

Next on Chrollo's list is probably Kurapika, but I don't see him ending up on the dark continent. It's not like Greed Island where the troupe can sail there.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope chrollo and hisoka become friends after this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I really don't think Chrollo wants to take him alive. This strikes me as more of an "okay fine, lets get this out of the way so I don't have to deal with you chasing me" thing.

Next on Chrollo's list is probably Kurapika, but I don't see him ending up on the dark continent. It's not like Greed Island where the troupe can sail there.

Chrollo is a compulsive collector. That is one of the few personality traits he has, even.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Chrollo is a compulsive collector. That is one of the few personality traits he has, even.

Yeah, even against Silva and Zeno he was wanting to take them alive.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

NecroMonster posted:

the thing Hisoka is actually about to do that he'd rather not do but is only going to do because he'd probably die otherwise is stop playing games

I think that Hisoka would rather die than stop playing games :colbert:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Hisoka will bounce back and really stick it to Chrollo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

hisoka is going to show more than 2 nen abilities

Hisoka: "Heh, looks like I'm finally going to have to take things seriously and reveal my trump card."

"KAA...MEE...HAA..."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just rewatched the Kastro - Hisoka fight.

My main thought being, Kastro totally could have won had he simply stayed on the offensive and not given time for Hisoka to think and set the pace. Letting Hisoka talk all the time was the main reason why Kastro could not win, that and falling for his bait. Kastro seemed to be around Hisoka's level in physical ability as well.

Which makes him better then Chrollo at least in that regard, as Chrollo is only middle of the pack when it comes to physical strength in the Phantom Troupe, while Hisoka was 3rd. Chrollo is winning because he is the one setting the pace of the fight. Chrollo chose the location and time and as a result pretty much had every advantage going into this fight other then the fact that Hisoka is physically his better.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 4, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just rewatched the Kastro - Hisoka fight.

My main thought being, Kastro totally could have won had he simply stayed on the offensive and not given time for Hisoka to think and set the pace. Letting Hisoka talk all the time was the main reason why Kastro could not win, that and falling for his bait. Kastro seemed to be around Hisoka's level in physical ability as well.

Which makes him better then Chrollo at least in that regard, as Chrollo is only middle of the pack when it comes to physical strength in the Phantom Troupe, while Hisoka was 3rd. Chrollo is winning because he is the one setting the pace of the fight. Chrollo chose the location and time and as a result pretty much had every advantage going into this fight other then the fact that Hisoka is physically his better.

I like that Hisoka is the one who did Kastro's nen baptism. If Wing hadn't interfered, Gon and Killua would've gotten their nen unlocked without losing a limb or anything.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Hisoka basically says in the latest chapter, "Well, I guess I can't have the luxury of sitting back and picking apart your strategy anymore. Now I have to use ~*THAT MOVE*~". Methodically destroying his opponent's whole strategy and way of fighting is how Hisoka prefers to play with his murder toys. Chrollo has forced him to take a step beyond that

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is the powers are unique so stealing powers is just boring outside of a one off fight.

Only in other manga. Here stealing abilities comes with so many limitations for the user that working around it makes it interesting because the abilities won't be understood by the one who stole them as well as the only original owner does. Plus the stolen abilities come with their own limitations and Chrollo specifically had to stack the deck to get the best use of out of all the ones he's using right now. Kortopi certainly never intended that his ability would be used for combat, so it's interesting to see Chrollo have to go to all those lengths just to make sure he could use it that way.

Leo had to do the same thing against Morel. He specifically lured him into an underground church because fighting Morel anywhere else means the stolen ability isn't nearly as effective

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tunicate posted:

I like that Hisoka is the one who did Kastro's nen baptism. If Wing hadn't interfered, Gon and Killua would've gotten their nen unlocked without losing a limb or anything.

Nah, they couldn't advance at all against Hisoka. He was there to prevent them from getting baptized at all so they wouldn't be "ruined", which wouldn't have worked for Killua since he needed to register that night or else he'd get barred from the tower entirely because it'd have been the second time he got that far and then blew off registering there or whatever. Hence Wing working to awaken them ASAP.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Nah, they couldn't advance at all against Hisoka. He was there to prevent them from getting baptized at all so they wouldn't be "ruined", which wouldn't have worked for Killua since he needed to register that night or else he'd get barred from the tower entirely because it'd have been the second time he got that far and then blew off registering there or whatever. Hence Wing working to awaken them ASAP.
They were about to try anyway. It isn't that it's impossible, just that a nen baptism could end up killing them if the person performing it is 'ill-intentioned or weak'. If Wing hadn't interfered, Gon and Killua are the type of kids who'd have charged forward into Hisoka's nen, and the shock would have opened their pores.

Wing assumed that Hisoka was trying the traditional 200th floor crippling nen baptism, but based on his personality and the fact that Kastro got his nen opened by Hisoka and remained in perfect health, it seems a lot more likely that Hisoka was just going to awaken their power safely. Those crippled freaks would have broken his toys, and he can't have that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka didn't know that they had already found a nen teacher. He had no objection to them participating in matches, but he was protecting them from being baptized. They weren't ready and he didn't want them to break prematurely.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Flubby posted:

I have to admit, I have no idea what is going on in this fight and how. And it's not the first time in HxH. I was already lost when Chrollo was explaining his abilities. I just trust that everything that happens is within whatever nen's rules are (hell I got lost when that was being explained way back when). It really hasn't made the fights any less fun.

I know that feeling. We are the guys standing on the crowd with our sign.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Law of backstory dictates that Hisoka's a dead man now that Tokyo Ghoul dude's writing his origin story.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hisoka didn't know that they had already found a nen teacher. He had no objection to them participating in matches, but he was protecting them from being baptized. They weren't ready and he didn't want them to break prematurely.

What's his gameplan if Gon acts in character and tries to force his way through it?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hisoka origin story: http://readms.com/r/one_shot/Hisoka%20Origin%20Story/3450/1

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The art is reminiscent of the original Greed Island wrap up, but I enjoyed the story.

And, hey, Bungee Gum is a real gum! I don't think it has the full properties of both rubber and gum, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note that is not the real art for the chapter.

It's just the script. Appearntly when it's actully released it will look better.

Anyway the fact that Hisoka's getting an origin now, makes me feel like this is his last hurrah.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I love that the pleasure capital Glam Gas Land is right where Vegas would be.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
I don't think the magnetic iron pillars fit in transmuting very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

GoldenPrice posted:

I don't think the magnetic iron pillars fit in transmuting very well.

Yeah, it seems more of an emission thing to me, but whatever.

We already knew that Bungee gum was a real candy brand, so it was nice to tie that in. I liked as well that the magician dude apparently took the Hunter exam the same year Ging did.