Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Remember when Iris got a job at a newspaper purely because of her connection to The Flash, and she felt bad about that, and it seemed like that was going to be a character motivation for her, but then it went nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Iris was also black in the comics I thought? Anyway, I havent read any so I don't care. Candice Patton is a decent actor, her character is just written terribly and in a very uninteresting way, and she doesn't have chemistry with Grant Gustin (unlike Patti's and Linda's actors, both of whom clicked with him really, really well). I don't think this is about her race either. Diggle and Layla work really well in Arrow for instance.

It is also interesting that you call me a manchild yet your rationale for rooting for Barry-Iris is that they are married in the comics. :rolleyes:

I disagree because Gustin has had no romantic chemistry with any of the female cast members. He just isn't good as a romance guy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

greatn posted:

I disagree because Gustin has had no romantic chemistry with any of the female cast members. He just isn't good as a romance guy.

Is Grant Gustin a Jay?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

greatn posted:

He was great with Patty Spivot, so of course they literally put her on a bus train.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How so? All I remember is him being dumb and awkward, and then evasive around her.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So we're gonna make the Arrow thread worse by steering conversation to a show that manages to be worse than Arrow, huh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Remember that time on Smallville Justin Hartley shot a bullet out of the air? That was cool.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
This is now the Fuller House thread. Dehumanize yourself and face to Netflix.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

greatn posted:

How so? All I remember is him being dumb and awkward, and then evasive around her.

They were both dumb and awkward around each other, and they acted their parts really convincingly because of their chemistry. You were really sold on the fact that the characters had a crush on each other. Heck, this very thread was going nuts over how well they fit together. The evasiveness came later and it was caused by bad writing, not lack of chemistry.

Contrast this to Barry and Iris. In every romantic scene both Gustin and Patton have to act their asses off to compensate for both bad writing and lack of chemistry. On the surface the scenes work OK but there is definitely an unnatural undertone to them, as if even the actors find them really silly and have to keep a straight face. I know there was some rumor about them being flirty in real life a while back but it just doesn't translate to onscreen.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Klungar posted:

Is Grant Gustin a Jay?

Yes, but on record that he might turn for Candice Patterson, IIRC.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Grant Gustin is a drat fine actor and better than Flash (the show) deserves. Same with Jesse L Martin.

Has there ever been a superhero story where the romance wasn't unambiguously the worst part?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Spergatory posted:

Has there ever been a superhero story where the romance wasn't unambiguously the worst part?

Deadpool.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Phylodox posted:

Deadpool.

Spergatory posted:

Super. It was uncomfortable and icky, but it was well done and served the story.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Spergatory posted:

Grant Gustin is a drat fine actor and better than Flash (the show) deserves. Same with Jesse L Martin.

Amazing Spider-Man 2

It definitely wasn't the worst part.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spergatory posted:

The first Captain America movie?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Spergatory posted:

Batman and Robin?

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Panama Red posted:

I also don't really get Olly saying Darhk gave him no choice but Slade Wilson did. Could someone explain that to me?

I think the idea was that Slade was driven crazy and that if Olly was honest with Slade upfront about Shadow, then maybe Slade wouldn't have been so butt hurt about her death.

I found it funny because season 1 Slade was probably set up for a return, more than just a training episode with Thea. Like how Deadshot was killed off in a way that they could bring him back. The higher ups at Warner Brothers probably didn't care about a TV show until the movies started to get greenlight. Then Deathstroke and Deadshot were pulled from TV because they didn't want to send mixed messages about characters to the movie going audiences.

The look Olly gives Dhark to me was something like, well I would get revenge but the network won't let me

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just found my old review of Arrow's pilot that I wrote for a paid blogging gig.

Man, those were happier times.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Deadpool.

I'll give you that one. It helped that Wade was the one causing the dumb drama because he was upset about no longer having Ryan Reynolds' face, instead having to make due with only his immaculate bone structure.

howe_sam posted:

The first Captain America movie?

I liked Cap and Peggy but there was still that stupid, cringeworthy scene where Steve made out with Margaery Tyrell and Peggy saw it and got all ~jealous~.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Batman and Robin?

Rubber lips. :bigtran:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

No Luck Needed posted:

I think the idea was that Slade was driven crazy and that if Olly was honest with Slade upfront about Shadow, then maybe Slade wouldn't have been so butt hurt about her death.

I found it funny because season 1 Slade was probably set up for a return, more than just a training episode with Thea. Like how Deadshot was killed off in a way that they could bring him back. The higher ups at Warner Brothers probably didn't care about a TV show until the movies started to get greenlight. Then Deathstroke and Deadshot were pulled from TV because they didn't want to send mixed messages about characters to the movie going audiences.

The look Olly gives Dhark to me was something like, well I would get revenge but the network won't let me

I don't get why Ollie didn't just lie. I would've. "Nah man, he fuckin shot Shado. I had nothing to do with him doing that. He's just lying so we don't kill him." Then they both could've gotten off the boat and had cool vigilante adventures.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SonicRulez posted:

I don't get why Ollie didn't just lie. I would've. "Nah man, he fuckin shot Shado. I had nothing to do with him doing that. He's just lying so we don't kill him." Then they both could've gotten off the boat and had cool vigilante adventures.

Because he felt incredibly guilty about it.

That's kind of Oliver's thing, he takes on all the burden and guilt unnecessarily.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Oliver Queen is a Magical girl whom won with the power of love.

or as he was named by a poster on another forum: Magical Hoodie Ollie-chan. :D

alternatively, This season confirmed something.

Stephen Amell wants to be Angel from Buffy.

He's not quite there. David Boreanaz has both the angst and comedy down pat during that era and it is a hard act to follow.

Plus for all his faults, Josh Whedon can write well.

For example, I lol hard when everybody thought Angel was angsting again, and he was just playing hooky and watching hockey. :p

I think he has the chops, he just needs better writing support.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

"I draw the line at musical" - Stephen Amell

Welp.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress you Amell

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He also doesn't like Cam Newton

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

gently caress you Amell

Read the article. He's saying that the show needs to be more like season, which I think everyone in this thread would agree with

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody wanted the Arrow people in the musical anyway. They don't sing. Willa Holland can barely speak.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Her midriff has perfect pitch

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody wanted the Arrow people in the musical anyway. They don't sing. Willa Holland can barely speak.

Barrowman can stay.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

greatn posted:

Her midriff has perfect pitch

:golfclap:

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Um Willa Holland, Emily Bett Rickard, Colton Haynes, and Barrowman all have lovely singing voices. And have posted videos of them, together, singing, on set. Amell can sing too, and has done so at cons before.

Musical's happening whether he wants it or not :getin:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Phhh, all that is needed from Arrow is Barrowman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQfW9oK1G4&t=40s

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 5, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Barrowman sang beautifully in De-Lovely, too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njBbT2r6MdU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Allegedly David Ramsey has a beautiful voice as well. It's just Amell who's tone def as gently caress.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Here's Stephen Amell singing:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5hUwIdrhE

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It would be pretty boss if they just let Amell do what Corbin Bernson did in the Psych musical episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Or what Batman did in the Music Meister episode

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or what uncle Jesse did in the Full House where Steve Urkel is there.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I would think that musicals would be in the magical girl's contract. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DrNutt posted:

It would be pretty boss if they just let Amell do what Corbin Bernson did in the Psych musical episode.

Would that be the same as what Alyson Hannigan did in both the musical productions she was involved in? I always felt sorry for her, apparently the only member of both the cast of Buffy and himym who couldn't sing worth a drat.

• Locked thread