Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lets take bets, who is going to be the first shitheel to say something awful about Ali tonight/tomorrow? Will it's be about Vietnam or saying that he was racist against white people?

Zuhdi Jasser already claimed that Muhammed Ali was only using Islam to dodge the draft, a claim so dumb that sheikh Yasir Qadhi took time to burn him on Twitter about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Ted Cruz literally read "Green Eggs and Ham" on the Senate floor as an allegory for the ACA but had the message backwards.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

Ted Cruz literally read "Green Eggs and Ham" on the Senate floor as an allegory for the ACA but had the message backwards.
In his defense its true message is couched in subtle metaphors, much like Full Metal Jacket actually being anti-war and American Psycho being an indictment of Wall Street.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

citybeatnik posted:

... wait, what? Really? -REALLY-? Why have none of his handlers tackled him and gone 'no you loving dolt'?

Trump doesn't have handlers he has enablers.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

In his defense its true message is couched in subtle metaphors, much like Full Metal Jacket actually being anti-war and American Psycho being an indictment of Wall Street.

In his defense, it's not as if he was Born in the USA.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

....drat next you ll be telling me "Fight Club" is really not about rejecting consumer culture.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

max4me posted:

....drat next you ll be telling me "Fight Club" is really not about rejecting consumer culture.
Naw it was just a movie about hurting people.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

max4me posted:

Who knew "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" was an anti-GMO treatise .

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

max4me posted:

Proto crossfit advertising

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the other hand, Kipling was a raging imperialist even while grieving his son who died as cannon fodder at Loos because Kipling pulled some strings with the guy running the Irish Guards and got them to look the other way about his son's lovely eyesight.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dexo posted:

I can't wait til 2018 and we get Rauner the gently caress out of here.

Maybe Obama will come back and be a governor lol

Yeah I know

No, Obama needs to run to replace Rahm and lose to Chuy.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

Also, reminder that Tiny Brontosaurus was outed as being white, so... no, not an example of shutting down criticism in a racist way.

When did this happen? You cant really say something like this without receipts.

Which brings me to another thing. What do white people gain from pretending to be black on the internet? Am I the only black poster left on the forums? :psyduck:

White folks take our culture, and our bodies and now weve got little Rachel Jrs out here stright pretending to be us like they're in a Face Off sequal.

God drat America.

Edit: And then on the other side, if you're light skinned enough, you've got people trying to tell you that you're not even black. Christ.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 4, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

Which brings me to another thing. What do white people gain from pretending to be black on the internet?
It's the new "my black friend."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Phyzzle posted:

Also, reminder that Tiny Brontosaurus was outed as being white, so...

Is that confirmed? Because people are still saying that about me.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Phyzzle posted:

Also, reminder that Tiny Brontosaurus was outed as being white, so... no, not an example of shutting down criticism in a racist way.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "white people pretending to be black for Internet points" as a D&D meme

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Koalas March posted:

When did this happen? You cant really say something like this without receipts.

Which brings me to another thing. What do white people gain from pretending to be black on the internet? Am I the only black poster left on the forums? :psyduck:

White folks take our culture, and our bodies and now weve got little Rachel Jrs out here stright pretending to be us like they're in a Face Off sequal.

God drat America.

Edit: And then on the other side, if you're light skinned enough, you've got people trying to tell you that you're not even black. Christ.

SedanChair posted:

Is that confirmed? Because people are still saying that about me.

no, see you guys can't possibly be black or mixed because I'm an obsessive retard armed with a color picker in ms paint and a boatload of ironic anime images and a metric ton of asshurt in my heart

This is the same poo poo I mentioned to boom boom boom: we used to have threads on feminism and violence that were shut down by a bunch of idiots. They would use this double-speak poo poo, too!

"You're white? Quit feeling so guilty!"
"You're black? Quit making me feel guilty!"
"You're a white woman? What about middle eastern women?"
"You're middle eastern? Take off the burka before you talk about women's rights"
"Why do you care about books and media when REAL WOMEN wouldn't bother?"

It sucks.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the "white people pretending to be black for Internet points" as a D&D meme

There isn't one. In fact, the people pushing this idea of people pretending to be black and running wild are straight up Operation Lollipop types and hate non-white people breathing their air and are most likely to commit internet blackface.

Reminder that this very forum actually paper bag tested a goon.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Armani posted:

There isn't one. In fact, the people pushing this idea of people pretending to be black and running wild are straight up Operation Lollipop types and hate non-white people breathing their air and are most likely to commit internet blackface.

Careful, you might summon the baleful Zoux himself.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How does TB even get outed as "not black" by someone here? Unless she's in some other sub forum bragging about trolling D&D (which I really doubt) that's super creepy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peztopiary posted:

Trump doesn't have handlers he has enablers.

Considering what we know of Trump, I'd imagine that anyone in Trump's court who said "Hey, let's figure out the boss's weaknesses so we can be ready" would be met with "I DON'T HAVE WEAKNESSES! YOU'RE FIRED!"

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Rollofthedice posted:

Careful, you might summon the baleful Zoux himself.

Come! Come and show the white moderates their folly and reveal their hard hearts!

*lays out a sigil of trade paperbacks, lights Star Wars votive candles* Klaatu, Barata, Nictzoux.

Radish posted:

How does TB even get outed as "not black" by someone here? Unless she's in some other sub forum bragging about trolling D&D (which I really doubt) that's super creepy.

Grand Prize to Radish; you're going to Belize!

Armani fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 4, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Armani posted:

On another forum I went to there actually was a guy who pretended to be black to score easy points in arguments, but that was years ago.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Radish posted:

The Other Site™ has taken pictures of bi-racial people like me and SC and determined our genealogy for us, which people on this forum have taken as gospel. I've actually posted pics of black people with light skin, and/or natural blonde and red hair here and they ran me out of that thread lol.

That said, me and my friends have gotten into twitter rows with white chicks saying racist poo poo, claiming to be black when they need a defense but have literally posted their Aryan rear end selfies like 2 hours before. It's really, really rare though. Like a hail Mary to save face, not a month's long espionage or whatever they're claiming TB is doing.

Which is why I wanna know what dubious "proof" they got.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

On another forum I went to there actually was a guy who pretended to be black to score easy points in arguments, but that was years ago.

I think the idea that being black scores "points" is kind of ridiculous.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SedanChair posted:

"A well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market. If I were starting off today, I would love to be a well-educated black, because I believe they do have an actual advantage."

-Donald Trump

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SedanChair posted:

As a pasty-white guy, I get that I have no idea what it's like to be a black dude (let alone a black woman) in society, so I realize I don't have anything useful to say on that topic while black dudes and ladies do. This idea taken to an extreme can ostensibly make "I'm black so STFU" a good conversation-stopper? :shrug: It's ridiculous as you say, but GOONS

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

There are schools in Illinois that have already gotten notices they won't open this fall, benefits of not having a budget for a year

Schools in my area have figured out that they can go a few weeks. One school, the Principal has (stupidly) said out loud that the teachers will have to continue teaching even without pay or they will be breaking their contracts and could be sued. A lot of teachers think this is just posturing (a few have it in their minds that this is some long range game to lowball contract negotiations).

I work at an alternative school (6-12). I was originally hired to be a 3rd teacher in the high school when they went up to 30 kids. Now we have 3 teachers with 50 kids. We have been told that we have enough money to stay open one more year without a budget (our regional supt is amazing) as long as we tighten our belts massively. We have just hired a 4th teacher so that we can go to 60 kids.

It will be an interesting year to see what happens. Hopefully Rauner calls in a special session and they can figure something out. Majority of people here in Southern Illinois blame Madigan for this even though this was Rauner's platform the entire time.

I miss MIGF telling everyone how Rauner was going to run for President. Those were the days.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Rappaport posted:

As a pasty-white guy, I get that I have no idea what it's like to be a black dude (let alone a black woman) in society, so I realize I don't have anything useful to say on that topic while black dudes and ladies do. This idea taken to an extreme can ostensibly make "I'm black so STFU" a good conversation-stopper? :shrug: It's ridiculous as you say, but GOONS

It is loving ridiculous. Which is why I wanted to ask the white folks, what the gently caress do you think you gain? What kind of "points"? What's the upside here? What's the psychology? It's so foreign to me.

Why would you assume black people don't exist online? Is it because your social circle is so white, you can't fathom interacting with us even online?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Koalas March posted:

It is loving ridiculous. Which is why I wanted to ask the white folks, what the gently caress do you think you gain? What kind of "points"? What's the upside here? What's the psychology? It's so foreign to me.

Why would you assume black people don't exist online? Is it because your social circle is so white, you can't fathom interacting with us even online?

It's not that they don't exist it's just not what's expected. I know my mind automatically filters everyone to being a young adult white male until proven otherwise. It's not a deliberate thing it's just that, at least in my mind, it's impossible to have everyone be a blurry generic microsoft windows 'person icon' in my mind because those aren't actually real. I guess I should add that when I do find out otherwise it's not a big deal but it is noticeable to me.

I don't think it's just race though- if you're in a conversation about any topic and someone drops that they're much closer to the topic than everyone else it will automatically give their opinions and insights more weight than others. There's nothing wrong with that but yeah obviously morons/crazy people will recognize that and lie just so they 'win' arguments online. Just like grover pretending to have been in the military or an actual engineer to 'win' arguments.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Well, you're using complete sentences and everything. It's confusing.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Koalas March posted:

I think you're right that most white people on the internet assume everyone else on the internet is white unless told otherwise. I bet if most white people think of a "forum user" as anything other than shitposts, it's probably a young white man - just like "soccer mom" makes most think of a middle-aged white woman. Whiteness is assumed unless someone is identified as otherwise. I don't think it's a willful rejection of the idea that black people use the internet, more just a statement about how "white" is seen as the default rather than identity. Which is: not great for talking about race!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I don't know if the awful year book forums are still up by they can vouch for my blackness

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm pretty sure there's been people that have been caught pretending to be trans in the e/n thread too

It's almost like pretending to be someone you aren't isn't a rational decision made by a normal person

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Radish posted:

Yeah, that doesn't sound realistic (either part of it) and I think burden of proof shouldn't fall on someone to "prove" their ethnicity.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

perhaps, a...database of all the black posters is in order?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just flipped through the California voter guide for senator and it's maybe three traditional cardboard cutout candidates and like, 20 goddamn loving lunatics. Each candidate gets to have a statement printed and they're insane.

Dr. Akinyemi Olabode Agbede: "Rescue America! Rescue America! Rescue America! Californian!"

Ling Ling Shi: "Run for God's Heart and America's Freedom, challenge 10 giant chaos in economy and economy-related sectors."

Tim Gildersleeve: "I am a follower of Jesus Christ."

President Cristina Grappo (yes her name is "President"): "My education & expertise merits this prolific occupation in order to represent California, as United Senator."

Karen Roseberry: "S.A.V.E. the future!"

Jason Hanania: "01100101."

:psyduck:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Business Gorillas posted:

It's almost like pretending to be someone you aren't isn't a rational decision made by a normal person

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dont really care about someone's ethnicity or sex/gender on the internet because it's mostly all words anyway, but i'm more prone to believe someone if they bring it up consistently at appropriate times and not spur of the moment during a psychotic posting spree

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dont really care about someone's ethnicity or sex/gender on the internet because it's mostly all words anyway, but i'm more prone to believe someone if they bring it up consistently at appropriate times and not spur of the moment during a psychotic posting spree

She has definitely been consistent though? If I'm not mistaken, she and I were two of the few people to bring up intersectionality back when the feminism thread was still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I always assumed everyone looked like their avatars, and having been to a goon meet 10 years ago I really don't ever want to see what any of you look like.

But the whole "this person isn't actually _______, opinion invalidated" stuff is garbage. Though I admit it's funny as hell when people tell Jamelle Bouie that his opinions are ALSO invalidated because he's SO dark that he must be African rather than a dude from Virginia.

Basically people are poo poo.

• Locked thread