Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what is the point of discord other than LFG?

in game voice is fine,
also half of you guys dont say "we're in discord" so I talk to an empty room half the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
^^ Discord's connection is shoddy for me anyways, so yeah I just use it for LFG purposes and then promptly use ingame once the group's set up.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

When it clicks it's amazing though. Walking up and watching you team kill a bunch of people, then charging when there's 3 left and slapping people around with your hammer. It's just so satisfying. Also taking out a widowmaker with a flamestrike from long range will never stop being hilarious.

Reinhardt, Lucio, Soldier 76, the holy trinity of guys I like to play.

Replace S76 with Pharah and that's basically me.

She's so drat fragile but once the mental images of where people are hiding begin setting in, you begin landing splash damage hits from around corners. I've gotten surprisingly good at nailing airshots on rival Pharahs as well, though it is a slow target.

A goon team on Ilios finally led me to a perfect setup for the Death From Above achievement.
https://gfycat.com/DefensiveUniqueFiddlercrab
That attic entrance was made for offense-hero ultimate wipes I swear. Other highlights for the night included: Running into an enemy team in Lijiang tower that started out as 6 genjis that got flattened, then switched to 5 reinhardts and a lucio that proceeded to flatten us when we tried 6 winstons/2 reinhardts + 3 meis. Also a play of the game where I showed off a Bastion Tank Rocket Jump, cept i hosed it up and wasn't able to get on top of a roof in hollywood but at least I blew up 3 people and stopped a Genji ult :downs:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I just got Death From Above as well, on offense at the end of Durado I popped it on the enemy team's Hanzo then swept it over to 3 people just getting hit by a Zarya ult, all of whom then got revived by Mercy and promptly killed a second time. It was a drat good finish to that round.

I will probably never again have the opportunity to kill more than one or two people with a Pharah ult. :(

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got mine by shooting people, ulting when the fuel ran out to get a couple more and buying time for the jets cooldown to be ready again, launching back into the sky and shooting another guy. Man if I ever had to actually kill 4 people with just the ult I'd never get it. A lot of these achievements feel calibrated for stomping day 1 players who don't know how to respond to things.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got mine by shooting people, ulting when the fuel ran out to get a couple more and buying time for the jets cooldown to be ready again, launching back into the sky and shooting another guy. Man if I ever had to actually kill 4 people with just the ult I'd never get it. A lot of these achievements feel calibrated for stomping day 1 players who don't know how to respond to things.

The easiest way to get 4 in one ult is probably just playing with a buddy on Reinhardt or Zarya.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want a mode like the Left 4 Dead maps where you have to go out and gather fuel and bring it back to a point, only the drop off point has some sort of defense to favor the people gathering the fuel because otherwise it would obviously be kinda dumb.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Wow Symmetra is the least popular hero. http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/13-symmetra I love her the most though. <3

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Grammaton posted:

Wow Symmetra is the least popular hero. http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/13-symmetra I love her the most though. <3

I love the idea of Symmetra but I just don't know the maps well enough yet to take advantage of her. I'm hoping that once I get a hold of that I give her a real shot, since playing support by dropping gadgets sounds rad as hell

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Grammaton posted:

Clearly Symmetra players are doing something right, because her winrate on that site is being recorded as way higher than any other hero (save torbjorn). Granted popularity and win-rate are somewhat inverse correlated here so who knows.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I love the idea of Symmetra but I just don't know the maps well enough yet to take advantage of her. I'm hoping that once I get a hold of that I give her a real shot, since playing support by dropping gadgets sounds rad as hell

Yeah, Torb is much more forgiving to play from a personal standpoint. One good range turret, solid weapon, Ult that can save your rear end while letting you get in some extra murder out shotgunning Roadhog.

Sym is much better at her job of "Support", because she doesn't need to loot two corpses to provide a single buff. But placing all her soap bubble durable turrets (and deciding what walls and such to do it on), is much more daunting. Plus her Ult while super amazing is of limited usefulness in some circumstances.

I'd rather have a good Sym on a team in most circumstances than a bad Torb, though. Shields for everybody and some lasers are more overall helpful than a guy who thinks plunking a turret in plain view but assumes his whole team causing a killzone that will murder or chase off anybody who so much as looks at their turret means they have "great positioning" Hey, buddy, can we have some armor? No? welp.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 4, 2016

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm not one to complain about POTG, but I still think I earned it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhwKOajpWUI

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

They should give some kind of damage ult to Symmetra to make it a bit more appealing for a full (or almost full) course of a game. Nothing too powerful, but something nice. Then the teleporter, while extremely important, would just be something that you would bind to a secondary ult key.

Part of the high win rate with Symmetra is just because people who pick her have tendency to know what they are doing, hence the better win rate.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/738107656057946113

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oh please no, not the fuckin' waifu here of all places

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
put the anime in overwatch

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
god damnit arcsys i already said anji was getting in first stop it

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I do a thing on attacking teams where I start as widow, look for a quick free shot or two and then switch out to an attacker and it's worked pretty well so far, though it kind of makes me feel like I should play more widow because I'm dropping enemy widows easily. I'm pretty sure they're just bad but there's so much free damage to be had

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

She is gonna be able to c.S before mccree can even get a grenade off.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

My most satisfying kill so far was headshotting Widowmaker from a good ways off with Torbjorn of all people. Torb's gun is the best once you figure out how to account for drop.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Baby Babbeh posted:

My most satisfying kill so far was headshotting Widowmaker from a good ways off with Torbjorn of all people. Torb's gun is the best once you figure out how to account for drop.

I still run into people who don't expect you to shoot them without LoS as Torb. They just back up and expect the ledge to save them, and then I arc what I can only assume are artillery grade rivets directly into their dome.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Overwatch Kids

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I just had the worst, most embarassing PotG I've ever seen. I'm pharah and it's literally me killing 1 person while blowing myself up. That's it. 1 kill where I blow myself up. I guess it was for a 'shutdown' because it was 76 ulting. It didn't even show up in my highlights.

More like shame of the game. It was awful and everyone saw it. :smith:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
E: speaking of pharah potg , just had one that shot an e just so and knocked 4 of us off the control point into the abyss. Found out the hard way that the knock back distance is pretty loving far..

I was playing Mei today for the first time since closed beta, and holy poo poo she's the best.

I was getting chased around by a Reinhardt and reaper, until I finally got cornered. The two of then and a pharah came to clean up.

I instantly walled. The pharah ulted into it point blank to kill herself, the reaper got stuck on the side with me and got frozen and killed, and I scurried off before the Reinhardt could come help.

She's the best character, I was skeptical of all the enthusiasm in the thread but wow. I was a fool.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The biggest issue I have with Symmetra is that once I have a teleporter up, i no longer get to play with ultimates until my teleporter is destroyed again... also that her turrets are so huge and fat and easy to shoot

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
What's the highest % of team damage anyone has gotten while winning?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Zzulu posted:

The biggest issue I have with Symmetra is that once I have a teleporter up, i no longer get to play with ultimates until my teleporter is destroyed again...

It is the best ability in the game, so that seems about right.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the teleporter feels like another one of those "well it was in TF2, so..." inclusions

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Prav posted:

the teleporter feels like another one of those "well it was in TF2, so..." inclusions
It's so badly designed because of how inconsistent the map spawns are. On some maps a teleporter can make or break, on others it's loving useless. Same story with TF2 really, except the teleporter is always generally useful in TF2 for teams larger than 6 players. On some maps symmetra is a wasted team slot.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sanctum posted:

It's so badly designed because of how inconsistent the map spawns are. On some maps a teleporter can make or break, on others it's loving useless. Same story with TF2 really, except the teleporter is always generally useful in TF2 for teams larger than 6 players. On some maps symmetra is a wasted team slot.

The teleporter was always useful in TF2 because it was infinitely replaceable and you didn't have to wait several minutes to put down a new one once it was used enough.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Mortimer posted:

what is the point of discord other than LFG?

in game voice is fine,
also half of you guys dont say "we're in discord" so I talk to an empty room half the time

In game voice does not let you set the sensitivity of input so you are pretty much forced to use push to talk if you use speakers instead of headphones/earbuds. Otherwise everyone is going to not only hear most of what comes out of my speakers, but also a feedback loop of whatever they say in game.

I use a nice speaker setup and have a single ear headset that only hears Discord (or Mumble, or whatever VOIP 3rd party application) so if you are using in game, I hear you through my speakers rather than right in my ear... so you are either too loud and I can't hear footsteps, or you are too drowned out by everything in game that I can't make out what you are saying.

So that is the point of Discord. At least for me.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about
Still trying to wrap my head around how fast we won this match, i don't even think any of us died
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zSa8gvmfXE

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Why is mercy's ult so easy to charge? I really wish it was like 3-4x longer to charge but had some significant ability to keep mercy alive that is sorely needed for the dedicated medic. I don't want to res my teammates, I don't need to res my teammates. As long as I'm alive, they're alive. Give me some ult that helps me stay alive.

Lady Naga posted:

The teleporter was always useful in TF2 because it was infinitely replaceable and you didn't have to wait several minutes to put down a new one once it was used enough.
Infinite isn't terribly far from 6 in this instance. The real cost is the ult slot. Symmetra doesn't have much going for her outside of that situationally amazing ult.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Sanctum posted:

Why is mercy's ult so easy to charge? I really wish it was like 3-4x longer to charge but had some significant ability to keep mercy alive that is sorely needed for the dedicated medic. I don't want to res my teammates, I don't need to res my teammates. As long as I'm alive, they're alive. Give me some ult that helps me stay alive.

Mercy's Ult is important because of so many other Ults that automatically decide teamfights, like Lucio's Ult.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
But no one should be dying until mercy is dead. I hate sitting on an ult I can't use for so long, and moreso I hate dying because I'm a medic with no uber.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Most of the cast can melt instantly under focus fire and Mercy's mere 50 HP/s can't save them.

Hell, most of the cast melt even with Zenyatta's potential 130 HP/s going on.

Some battles are just instantly lost with certain Ults going around, and Mercy and Symmetra enable a quick re-engage with associated downsides.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Last night, I got tired of playing my usual people so I slummed it as a Genji for a bunch of rounds.

Hoooooly crap is it satisfying to punish bad McCrees. It's especially funny to me because you can tell it's all reflex to hit that E key immediately; they just can't stop themselves from killing themselves. On the Ilios lighthouse map, there was one who took an entire game to learn this self control. We have one last encounter where he tries to Fan me from a distance, and as I'm approaching with my Deflect, he backs up right off a ledge.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Sanctum posted:

But no one should be dying until mercy is dead. I hate sitting on an ult I can't use for so long, and moreso I hate dying because I'm a medic with no uber.

You cant outheal a flash fan combo, rocket barrage, rip tire, widow headshot or even just a reaper or whatever coming in and unloading on your team. There are tons of abilities and characters that blow through healing, Ressurect is there to help in those situations.

Basically mercy is not that similar to the medic besides "they both have a healing gun". There are big differences between the characters (uber vs res, overheals vs damage boost) but it's also due to the nature of the games they're in and what their enemies are capable of. Eah characters abilities fit into their game.

Ahhpple fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 4, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Legion of One posted:

Still trying to wrap my head around how fast we won this match, i don't even think any of us died
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zSa8gvmfXE

Yesterday my team of completely random people won Volskaya in 2:17. I was D.Va and our team all went out the left side, I had Defense Matrix up because I knew there was a widow on the roof. Pharah knocked me off towards the water, but I boosted up, landed beside the widowmaker, killed her, then boosted through the opening beside the gate and walked onto the point. The enemy didn't seem to care, it wasn't until Pharah came back that I was attacked. My team had pushed through by the time my Mech was almost dead. I popped Pharah with D.Va's pistol then used the same to kill a sniping Widow. After a slight delay to kill a Roadhog our Mei had Ice-walled into a corner, we pushed onto the final point (I flew up to the ledge and picked their Widow).

Someone on the opposing team said something like "great job team". I don't remember exactly what it was, but the sarcasm was clear. We also lost when defending, but it took them much longer to break us.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've heard people say spamming Symmetra's orbs in choke points is a good idea. Do I want to charge them all, or just let loose a stream of tiny ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

I've heard people say spamming Symmetra's orbs in choke points is a good idea. Do I want to charge them all, or just let loose a stream of tiny ones?

Charge them all. You're unlikely to hit them at all but the benefit is just having occasional, somewhat-unpredictable big damage balls to hit people with. Sometimes you'll hit someone and they will instantly have to back off. It's 125 damage when charged, and 25 when uncharged.