Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Extreme0 posted:

Sure if you're quite a distance away.

Except it was on the same street a few houses away.
Ah yes, your local police must be trying out the new Segway squadrons, very eco-friendly even if it takes ages to travel anyplace.

1888, Casey at the Bat is published for the first time in the San Francisco Examiner. A classic poem about a man so confident in his skill, that he strikes out twice before hitting the big one. Much like Corbyn struck out twice (we're still waiting for the third swing).

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Boris Johnson's post-Brexit cabinet: the possible lineup

If this shower of bastards gets in it's going to be pretty dreary times in future.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 3, 2016

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

An update on my brush with the law:

My friend helpfully provided my mobile number to the PC who'd shown up at his flat the night before. Rather than hang around waiting for him to call me, I decided to ring him. He was, predictably i guess, officious, accusatory and rude. It turns out that the crime amounts to about £15 worth of stuff being nicked when someone at the self service tills realised they'd forgotten their wallet and just walked out without paying.

He said that he was not accusing me... But if I confess now then it would all be sorted out , and I wouldn't even get a caution. But if I DONT confess then it'll be serious trouble. I said that I didn't do it, or at least I don't loving think I did, to which he responded 'if you did it, you'd know.'

The call concluded by him saying he needed to see me so he could compare my face to the person that did it. However, he refused to commit to any time or place, but just said that he'll be seeing me soon.

So the state of things now is that I'm just waiting for a knock at the door so I can be passive aggressively accused some more. And I know it's stupid, but you end up worrying that maybe somehow you did do it, or maybe you'll look just like the person who did.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I still resent that this prick can wade into my life out of absolutely nowhere and make me have to defend myself against accusations of some petty loving crime, and cause me a bunch of stress. I also don't understand why he has the right to just turn up here when he wants, rather than just make an appointment like any other sane human being. It doesn't even make any sense from his perspective, as there's every chance I'll be out if and when he shows up.

Bleurgh.

Do you live on Alderney or somewhere similar where the police have gently caress-all to do? Because that's way more effort being put into a £15 shoplifting theft than seems likely, to be honest.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

An update on my brush with the law:

My friend helpfully provided my mobile number to the PC who'd shown up at his flat the night before. Rather than hang around waiting for him to call me, I decided to ring him. He was, predictably i guess, officious, accusatory and rude. It turns out that the crime amounts to about £15 worth of stuff being nicked when someone at the self service tills realised they'd forgotten their wallet and just walked out without paying.

He said that he was not accusing me... But if I confess now then it would all be sorted out , and I wouldn't even get a caution. But if I DONT confess then it'll be serious trouble. I said that I didn't do it, or at least I don't loving think I did, to which he responded 'if you did it, you'd know.'

The call concluded by him saying he needed to see me so he could compare my face to the person that did it. However, he refused to commit to any time or place, but just said that he'll be seeing me soon.

So the state of things now is that I'm just waiting for a knock at the door so I can be passive aggressively accused some more. And I know it's stupid, but you end up worrying that maybe somehow you did do it, or maybe you'll look just like the person who did.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I still resent that this prick can wade into my life out of absolutely nowhere and make me have to defend myself against accusations of some petty loving crime, and cause me a bunch of stress. I also don't understand why he has the right to just turn up here when he wants, rather than just make an appointment like any other sane human being. It doesn't even make any sense from his perspective, as there's every chance I'll be out if and when he shows up.

Bleurgh.

i like how you asked the thread for advice, everyone told you the same thing then you did the opposite

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Who's the oval office, what is it's name.

Did you expect a SWAT team or something?

Cerv posted:

i like how you asked the thread for advice, everyone told you the same thing then you did the opposite

He apparently can't remember if he shoplifted or not. I don't think he's in the best frame of mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Do you live on Alderney or somewhere similar where the police have gently caress-all to do? Because that's way more effort being put into a £15 shoplifting theft than seems likely, to be honest.
Unless they have a bead on his friend for some reason.

Testro
May 2, 2009

I said that I didn't do it, or at least I don't loving think I did, to which he responded 'if you did it, you'd know.'

His claim that if you did it, you'd know seems fairly logical to me.

Either you paid by card, which means you can solve this instantly: a log of the transaction in your account will make it really easy to prove that you didn't do anything wrong.

It's not as if they're suggesting that the card was declined and then you took the stuff without realising the transaction had been declined; they've told you it was a forgotten wallet.

Or, you paid by cash. £15 is a high enough amount to suggest it wasn't loose change, which means you probably had your wallet with you. So either you threw in a high amount of low coins, which would've been memorable - or you had your wallet with you.

Surely you can remember if you had your wallet with you? It seems odd that realising you don't have your wallet at a self service checkout is something you'd forget or repress?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Human memory is weird, it's possible.

But checking a transaction log for the times you can remember being there is a good idea. Hard because they won't tell you a date, but it might put your mind at ease.

Don't bother calling them back and saying you've done that though. Nothing good can come of that. If they do call back, you can say that you've checked a backlog of your card transactions and you've paid every time you've been there.

e: JFairfax award for headline of the year found:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36445522

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 3, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

The police have to prioritise things, what with there being a limited number of them. There may have been more serious crimes that day

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Testro posted:

His claim that if you did it, you'd know seems fairly logical to me.

Either you paid by card, which means you can solve this instantly: a log of the transaction in your account will make it really easy to prove that you didn't do anything wrong.

It's not as if they're suggesting that the card was declined and then you took the stuff without realising the transaction had been declined; they've told you it was a forgotten wallet.

Or, you paid by cash. £15 is a high enough amount to suggest it wasn't loose change, which means you probably had your wallet with you. So either you threw in a high amount of low coins, which would've been memorable - or you had your wallet with you.

Surely you can remember if you had your wallet with you? It seems odd that realising you don't have your wallet at a self service checkout is something you'd forget or repress?

Fucksake, the poor boy's getting enough grief from the cops without you interrogating him too.

edit:

Guavanaut posted:

e: JFairfax award for headline of the year found:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36445522

quote:

When asked which embassy would grant him diplomatic immunity, the Anglican priest said "the Vatican" and swore at officers.

Sounds like a false flag to me. :tinfoil:

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 4, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Northern Ireland's largest trade union, NIPSA (who cover public sector employees), have voted to support a Leave vote.

Deary me lads

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

Boris Johnson's post-Brexit cabinet: the possible lineup

If this shower of bastards gets in it's going to be pretty dreary times in future.

Well that's loving dystopian. A return of IDS to DWP? Fox at Home? A climate change denier at Energy?

Grim.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

forkboy84 posted:

Well that's loving dystopian. A return of IDS to DWP? Fox at Home? A climate change denier at Energy?

Grim.

Lord Farage of Westerham would be an indication that this entire island should be reclaimed by the north sea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Lord Farage of Westerham would be an indication that this entire island should be reclaimed by the north sea.

Which would be the least he'd deserve. But yeah, I don't buy that part. At all. Still, the rest of it seems to have enough vaguely possible enough things to have me suffering from The Fear. That would be pretty much the worst government I could imagine short of the proper very far right.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

There's a reason that everyone told you not to contact the police, don't continue to be an idiot and so either don't contact them again or contact a CAB/legal advisor.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't listen to these criminals. If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Namtab posted:

Don't listen to these criminals. If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Northern Ireland's largest trade union, NIPSA (who cover public sector employees), have voted to support a Leave vote.

Deary me lads
When you're the liferaft dragged behind the ship, you wait for it to reach land instead of trying to sink it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Also the gulf stream and jet stream are different things; the former is a sea current, the latter an air current.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also the gulf stream and jet stream are different things; the former is a sea current, the latter an air current.

and both are aircraft

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Deary me lads

Why? Do they not realise how much money they get for the EU and how buggered they would be without it, I mean they would never have to got to build the ever brilliant peace bridge in Derry.

On another note gently caress this year, Muhammad Ali now, though its resulted in someone sending a great tweet in response to Trump giving his sympathies pointing out that given his way old Donald wouldn't have let him into the country.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

baka kaba posted:

I was gonna say the Leave campaign's argument is basically the Dad's Army titles, then I found out they got there first

I think it's meant to subliminally suggest... something.

E: Waaay too late. That'll teach me to go to work.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Pissflaps posted:

Did you expect a SWAT team or something?

Yeah, this. When our car was broken in to the police didn't even turn up - it's not like it's a crime in progress.

30 minutes from reporting it? That's good service. These days it's a 101 job.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
http://www.computerweekly.com/news/450297574/MPs-private-emails-are-routinely-accessed-by-GCHQ

quote:

GCHQ and the US National Security Agency (NSA) have access to intercepted emails sent and received by all members of the UK Parliament and peers, including with their constituents, a Computer Weekly investigation has established.

The intelligence agency in Cheltenham has been able to harvest traffic details of all parliamentary emails, including details of the sender, recipient and subject matter, for at least three years. As a result, details of private email correspondence between MPs and constituents are being collected by GCHQ as a matter of routine.

GCHQ documents classified above top secret, released by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, also reveal that the spy agency has the capability to scan the content of parliamentary emails for “keywords” through an established cyber defence network that is connected to commercial software used to filter spam emails from MPs’ inboxes.

quote:

Labour deputy leader Tom Watson MP told Computer Weekly: “This will shock many of my parliamentary colleagues and provides a further illustration of why it is right for the government to give additional protections in law to MPs, lawyers and journalists. Theresa May has the opportunity to do this during the passage of the IP Bill in Parliament.”

But what about the rest of us Tom?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smith-calls-donald-trump-a-very-decent-man-a7063901.html

quote:

Iain Duncan Smith has appeared to back Donald Trump – describing him as “a very decent man”.

The former work and pensions secretary said that “serious politicians” in the US had supported Mr Trump and quoted representative Paul Ryan praising the billionaire business owner.

“There are some very serious politicians, Paul Ryan, he said categorically: that he [Trump] is a very decent man,” Mr Duncan Smith told LBC radio.

Asked whether he would vote for Mr Trump or Hillary Clinton Mr Duncan Smith said he didn’t have a vote, and that he would not vote for Ms Clinton.

“I don’t have a vote, certainly – but I wouldn’t be voting for Clinton, that’s for sure. With her record on emails and her record on the state department,” he explained.

The statement from the Tory MP and Leave campaigner comes as David Cameron this morning said he would try to work with Mr Trump if he won office.

There were calls to ban the presumptive Republican Party nominee from Britain after he announced a policy of banning all Muslims from entering the United States.

MPs debated the issue after a petition was signed by over 100,000 people; it has now been endorsed by over half a million voters.

He has also pledged to force Mexico to build a giant wall on its border with the United States to stop Mexicans from entering US territory without permission.

The business mogul is set to visit Britain later this month to open a golf course he owns in Scotland.

His visit will come the day before the European Union referendum; it is not clear whether he will officially meet the Prime Minister or other leading politicians.

Mr Trump will face whoever wins the Democratic nomination for US president later this year. Hilary Clinton is the runaway favourite to win that primary race.

I really, really do not like Iain Duncan Smith.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Surely MPs who have nothing to hide will have nothing to fear?

Your honour, I ask, nay, demand legal protection from the skeletons in my closet.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We're going to build a wall, and make France pay for it

edit:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 4, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Namtab posted:

Nurses trend towards being middle aged women and readers of the daily mail as a result.

That's only true for general nurses. Definitely not true for mental health where everyone seems to be pretty left wing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

My dad was a local seller of cars, and he got pointed at by a detective up in Stonehaven who thought he was some local drug kingpin because people who bought stuff from him were sometimes stupid junkies. Said detective brought down the whole police force thinking he was gonna hit the big one and my dad publicly humiliated him by turning out to be a clean smartass and the detective in turn got chewed the gently caress out of by his captain for wasting everybody's time.

The detective a few months later planted 2000 ecstacy tablets in my dad's car during a road stop and had him jailed for six months. Then my family house got raided three times in one year, all of our friends were threatened by the detective's squaddies to stay away from us, our vehicles were sabotaged which at one point forced my mom to crash on the motorway, and they also hung up dead rabbits in front of our house to scare us. They were also very clear about "our kind" not being welcome here because we're Greek descendants.

They also "confiscated" my child benefits which I was receiving at the time because I have severe hearing problems. We never got those back. I was 10 years old. I can't remember anything that happened in 1997 other than being thrown out of my bed by cops and being screamed at. We were forced to settle out of court with them for a lovely bargain because my dad stupidly thought a few years before that tax evading was a good way to put a finger up to the government. So they had a trump card on us, we were hosed and we had to settle out of court.

So yeah, I might be biased when I say that you don't trust the police. The detective was given paid leave so he doesn't work there anymore but he wasn't fired for it.

gently caress Stonehaven Police. :colbert:

Jesus loving christ

Well, that's this day ruined. I feel awful and it's not even 12 o'clock.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Serotonin posted:

That's only true for general nurses. Definitely not true for mental health where everyone seems to be pretty left wing.

I guess the doctrine of absolute personal responsibility would break down pretty easily when you experience how brains actually work on a day-to-day basis

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Jesus loving christ

Well, that's this day ruined. I feel awful and it's not even 12 o'clock.

Also Muhammad Ali is dead so it's a pretty poo poo Saturday.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Angepain posted:

I guess the doctrine of absolute personal responsibility would break down pretty easily when you experience how brains actually work on a day-to-day basis

I don't think anyone in psychiatry knows how brains work but we do understand how social and environmental factors can gently caress over life chances and that anyone can become ill and potentially have their lives hosed through no fault of their own.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

So, there's an internet quiz/datamining exercise (those two are synonyms, right?) on the EU at https://eurometer.news.sky.com/
It's Sky News so I was expecting the worst, but it seems fairly reasonable.

I got rootless cosmopolitan, along with apparently 17% of the UK, who will allegedly overwhelmingly vote Remain.

Some of the questions were a bit weird though, like "There is a common cultural identity that is shared by all Europeans. (Agree, Disagree, etc.)" I'm guessing it's like a pro-EU thing, but that sounds like some 14 words neo-Nazi poo poo. Like I'm sure David Duke has said literally those words in that order.

Ha, I love that one of the questions is 'Political correctness has gone too far'. After that one there's not much point in answering the rest, jobs a good'un.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The new podcast about the Daniel Morgan murder, linked to all sorts of police and media corruption, has started coming out.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/untold-daniel-morgan-murder/id1114802610?i=369854282&mt=2

It's like Serial or Making a Murderer, but British and much more horrible.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a reason that everyone told you not to contact the police, don't continue to be an idiot and so either don't contact them again or contact a CAB/legal advisor.
This. I understand it's scary to have the threat of coppers showing up at your door, but shoplifting fifteen quid's worth of stuff from a supermarket is a fixed penalty notice at worst. This would all go away if you stopped calling them up and reminding them about it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

FinalGamer posted:

1888, Casey at the Bat is published for the first time in the San Francisco Examiner. A classic poem about a man so confident in his skill, that he strikes out twice before hitting the big one. Much like Corbyn struck out twice (we're still waiting for the third swing).

Casey takes two called strikes and then swings and misses at the third. This is Bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Brown Moses posted:

The new podcast about the Daniel Morgan murder, linked to all sorts of police and media corruption, has started coming out.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/untold-daniel-morgan-murder/id1114802610?i=369854282&mt=2

It's like Serial or Making a Murderer, but British and much more horrible.

Holy poo poo the Squarespace ad a the start is terrible. I mean, I generally don't mind podcast ads, but the way it was introduced and presented was almost a comedic way to start a seemingly serious murdercast.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

Ha, I love that one of the questions is 'Political correctness has gone too far'. After that one there's not much point in answering the rest, jobs a good'un.
I figure it could be a good filter question. If I say "Political correctness has gone way too far" and strongly disagree that "There is a common cultural identity that is shared by all Europeans" that implies something very different to if I say "Political correctness hasn't gone far enough" and strongly disagree that "There is a common cultural identity that is shared by all Europeans."

I don't know if they're smart enough to do that though, some of the questions seemed badly phrased.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The question is improved if you have the plugin that changes "Political correctness" to "Treating people with respect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I agree that we need to treat people with less respect.

Eat the rich.

• Locked thread