Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Heathen posted:

See! What a shitlord! He doesn't want girls to have toys!

Either that or toy makers have found out that boys age 6-12 have shown an equal amount of interest in playing with action figures while girls start to lose interest around 8. So toy makers have a pretty reliable six year window to make profits off "boy toys" and a two year window to make a profit off "girl toys." It can't possibly be that little girls mature faster and have a more varied interest in things like drawing, coloring or are more aware of their appearance and like to play dress up, wear jewelry and make up. No, its got to be crusty old man sexism.

Did you see BravestOfTheLamps and decide to see if you could make the worst post on the page? You won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I saw X-Men Apocalypse last night and really liked it for the most part. The worst part was actually Apocalypse and his nebulous powers that included pretty much everything from teleportation to super tailoring and hair styling. So at least it's comic consistent in that regard I guess. I really enjoyed the younger X-Men like Scott and Jean and especially Nightcrawler. I would happy to see a movie with the new team set up at the end. Minus Mystique that is. The Wolverine cameo was fun and looked like it jumped right off a Barry Windsor-Smith page of Marvel Comics Presents in 1991. After feeling that people overhyped exactly how cool the Quicksilver scene in Days of Future Past was I feel the one in this movie was way underhyped. The scene was insane and great. Also Angel's transformation to Archangel being set to Four Horsemen by Metallica was a cool little touch. Psylocke and Storm might as well not have been in the movie at all really. They're pretty much non-entities. Also I'm completely tired of Mystique and Magneto. Magneto is at a good place where you can let the character go. Not sure how they'll get around using Mystique with the setup though.

Also how is that Brett Ratner of all people managed to make a better looking Beast in his lovely movie than Matthew Vaughn/Bryan Singer have managed to make in three movies?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

I would happy to see a movie with the new team set up at the end. Minus Mystique that is.

That's how every X-Men movie ends.

"Look at this awesome team we've got! Bet you'd like to see a movie about them!"

And then it's about Xavier and Magneto again.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Heathen posted:

Also for some reason the internet at large wants Perlmutter to be the bad guy. No one has heard his side of the story, but hey, I heard he's tight with money so he must be an all around ominous shitlord.

See! What a shitlord! He doesn't want girls to have toys!

Either that or toy makers have found out that boys age 6-12 have shown an equal amount of interest in playing with action figures while girls start to lose interest around 8. So toy makers have a pretty reliable six year window to make profits off "boy toys" and a two year window to make a profit off "girl toys." It can't possibly be that little girls mature faster and have a more varied interest in things like drawing, coloring or are more aware of their appearance and like to play dress up, wear jewelry and make up. No, its got to be crusty old man sexism.

:goonsay:

you're a loving moron

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 3, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Heathen posted:

Also for some reason the internet at large wants Perlmutter to be the bad guy. No one has heard his side of the story, but hey, I heard he's tight with money so he must be an all around ominous shitlord.
Well no one has heard his side of the story because he's so reclusive that his last official photograph is from the 80s

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Race Realists posted:

:goonsay:

you're a loving moron

Cool. Which part do you disagree with?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Marvel/Disney could have overridden any of Ikes recommendations if they really wanted to. They didn't, that's the real problem. Shifting Ike off movies hasn't fixed the sexism issue, as far as I can tell.

Happy to be proven wrong since its such a huge problem in all media formats.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MacheteZombie posted:

Marvel/Disney could have overridden any of Ikes recommendations if they really wanted to. They didn't, that's the real problem. Shifting Ike off movies hasn't fixed the sexism issue, as far as I can tell.

Happy to be proven wrong since its such a huge problem in all media formats.

What Sexism issue?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The old chestnut about Boys Don't Buy Toys Of Girl Superheroes that's just as false now as it was in 1995 and the one, singular Rogue figure Toy Biz ever made was being scalped for 12 times its retail price despite being ugly as sin even by the action figure standards of 1995.

It's not about toy lines aimed at girls, it's about girl characters in toy lines aimed at boys. It's been demonstrated false over and over again through the years but you still see toy company higher-ups clinging to it. Turns out whether they're 12 or 32 (man)children want to be able to complete the team, girl heroes included. Marvel Legends has gotten much better about this recently, with Carol Danvers, Misty Knight, Scarlet Witch, White Tiger, Spider-Woman, and others getting quality toys with wide retail releases (the upcoming X-Men wave has three women in it) but they tend to be in the comic-book focused waves, where the movies are concerned there is a wide fuckin gulf still.

When it creeps upwards in the creative chain and actually starts influencing creative decisions (making the villain of IM3 a man instead of a woman solely so you can sell a toy of him) people aren't able to ignore how loving dumb it is anymore.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Travis343 posted:

It's not about toy lines aimed at girls, it's about girl characters in toy lines aimed at boys.

Aphrodite posted:

Also the whole thing is that 'girl toys' and 'boy toys' is the crusty old man sexism.

Make toys, sell to kids, don't worry which gender wants them.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Dexo posted:

What Sexism issue?

You're joking, right?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

X-O posted:

Also how is that Brett Ratner of all people managed to make a better looking Beast in his lovely movie than Matthew Vaughn/Bryan Singer have managed to make in three movies?

Seriously. As much as I thought it was stupid for them to have Beast invent a magic serum that makes him into a shittier furry Hulk, it at least meant we had to look at that crap makeup and prosthetics for less time.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

howe_sam posted:

Make toys, sell to kids, don't worry which gender wants them.

How is this so loving hard for so many loving people to understand? It's as simple as this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well they believe that toys of girls will sell less and make less money, because they still base their decisions on very old market research and anecdotal evidence.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Welcome to marketing son.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The weirdest part about the IM3 thing is that they never made a single action figure for Killian. Every figure aimed at kids was a variation on an Iron Man suit.

Heck any other character was aimed solely on collectors. Someone hosed up.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

notthegoatseguy posted:

IM2 is basically how bad a movie can be due to Marvel/studio interference.

You misspelled spider man 3

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Old Man Pants posted:

You misspelled spider man 3

Iron Man 2 is what you get after studio interference. Spider - Man 3 is what you get when a director responds kinda childishly to studio interference.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I quite liked Apocalypse. These are my thoughts fresh out, but I think a lot of people were harsh on it. It does retrace a lot of the same steps from the previous movies and I can understand that being annoying, but the movie isn't without its strengths. The weaknesses are Magneto and Mystique to me. Magneto doing a heel/face turn in every single movie is just old. I want no parts of him. Mystique felt superfluous. Truly, this was her character at its worst portrayal in this new trilogy. She was just sorta there and crowned Hero Goddess of Mutantkind just to give JLaw something to mope about.

As many have said before, the highlights are all the new players. All of the X-Men who are actually X-Men were well done. I'll give a shout out to Sophie Turner, I quite liked her job as JEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN. Quicksilver was another treat once again. The problem I have with these movies is that they always promise something extraordinary for the sequel and fail to follow up on that meaningfully. If the next movie is about the X-Kids doing some cool poo poo to save mutants, I'm 100% in. If it's more Xavier/Mystique/Magneto, count me out. The writers don't know what to do with these characters and they're spinning the wheels. Also, Apocalypse's guys were all flat and weak. The only Horseman to have any character is the one that's been around since forever. Psylocke, Storm, and Archangel are just there so our heroes have people to punch. There was hardly anything to them and I don't much see what Psylocke added to the movie besides killer cleavage. Storm at least had a little bit of hero worship tossed in there. Kinda confused as to why they didn't have Psylocke do a face turn, but whatever. I can't say I care to see her return. I assume they killed Angel since he's stupid.

But overall, an enjoyable watch. Just my hot take. Also why did they play us on Jubilee? We need more than her just standing around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His childish response is the only good stuff in the whole movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There were some Raimi Spidey 4 concept arts that made the rounds the other day.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3946253

Featuring Bruce Campbell and Anne Hathaway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Sam Raimi, I think I might like the first Darkman movie more than the first Spider-Man one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFpj4ypsLE

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pro-click.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Now that Mystique is officially a hero, Bryan Singer says that he wants the next X-Men movie to be a Mystique solo film. With or without Jennifer Lawrence.

http://www.avclub.com/article/bryan-singer-thinks-mystique-should-have-her-own-f-237699

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So... Gunn is teasing having Mjioner in his movie... but is also saying there are no Avengers in his moive.

So, I'm not going to be really bummed if Beta Ray Bill doesn't show up in this loving thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What if there is a loophole in Odin's rule for Mjolnir? Since it says a "Man" has to be worthy in order to wield it. Technically Groot and Rocket aren't men.

or Frog-Thor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

greatn posted:

Well they believe that toys of girls will sell less and make less money, because they still base their decisions on very old market research and anecdotal evidence.

Reminds me of when in 30 Rock, Jack Donaghy is walking down the hall with Liz Lemon and saying "It tests well with the key demos; fairies, dykes, commies...we need to get some updated forums"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What if there is a loophole in Odin's rule for Mjolnir? Since it says a "Man" has to be worthy in order to wield it. Technically Groot and Rocket aren't men.

or Frog-Thor.

Or a recast Jane Foster.

And yea, my ideal x-men movie would be school focused and just have the kids as the primary characters. Chuck can be there, but no need for Magneto or Mystique to show up. Or if its a space adventure with the Starjammers and Space Bird Jerks, then we can have him run off with Lilandra and not be seen until the end of the movie. Speaking of that, and this is in no way a spoiler, people have been complaining that if we saw Scott and Alex's parents, then we can't possibly have Corsair in a future film, but who's to say that they're their birth parents? Could easily be adoptive parents.

Timeless Appeal posted:

So... Gunn is teasing having Mjioner in his movie... but is also saying there are no Avengers in his moive.

So, I'm not going to be really bummed if Beta Ray Bill doesn't show up in this loving thing.

I doubt we'll see him in Guardians 2, but 3, hell ya. Though the thing i"m most excited about is the idea of the Guardians meeting the Avengers, just the reaction between everyone would be hilarious. Though I think Vision and Groot would hit it off the best.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Timeless Appeal posted:

Thor throws his hammer into space during Ragnarok for some reason, maybe he's fighting Ego. GOTG crew is flying by at the time, gets clipped by the hammer. Or it gets stuck in something, GOTG crew touches it, it gets unstuck flies back to Thor where in the Thor movie there's no break in continuity, or maybe Thor expects it a bit sooner but it shows up at the last minute, whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zachack posted:

Thor throws his hammer into space during Ragnarok for some reason, maybe he's fighting Ego. GOTG crew is flying by at the time, gets clipped by the hammer. Or it gets stuck in something, GOTG crew touches it, it gets unstuck flies back to Thor where in the Thor movie there's no break in continuity, or maybe Thor expects it a bit sooner but it shows up at the last minute, whatever.

Why does it smell of raccoon?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kind of disappointed that The Collector won't be in V2. I know his character wasn't central to the plot but I feel there's more to explore from that character. And I also enjoyed the cosmic universe origin we kind of got from the Collector.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Timeless Appeal posted:

Or they just had a toy on set and he was goofing around.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Now that Mystique is officially a hero, Bryan Singer says that he wants the next X-Men movie to be a Mystique solo film. With or without Jennifer Lawrence.

http://www.avclub.com/article/bryan-singer-thinks-mystique-should-have-her-own-f-237699

I'm so torn between on the one side wanting X-Men solo movies that aren't Wolverine, wanting Mystique to be recast and wanting X-Men movies that try out different genres/styles (Mystique as a solo lead would only work in some kind of spy/heist/etc movie, not stopping giant robots or blue men from destroying earth)

...and on the other side not wanting to see anything building off of the Mystique from the new X-Men movies.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 4, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

His childish response is the only good stuff in the whole movie.

His childish response is Venom, so...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mystique would be the number one worst choice, of all the female X-Men, to helm a solo. At least how she's defined in the new trilogy. Also I'd trust FOX to do alternate genre takes with superheroes (ala Winter Soldier being a spy film, Guardians being a goofy buddy comedy, and Ant-Man being a heist film) if they ever had any of the eight previous X-Men films they've done deviated even slightly from the superhero-rear end superhero film - and not even that well, if I'm being honest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even Deadpool is a super formulaic superhero movie, just a very well done one with some boobs and dick humor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool is actually even more generic than most.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

His childish response is Venom, so...

His Venom isn't that bad. He actually has an arc, one that could fit into an already packed script. It's not what you wanted, but it's the least horrible thing in the film. The whole script is bloated and plot points are just brushed past just so they get to stupid Venom.

The dance stuff is good and right in Raimi's wheelhouse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They hide it really well with the flashback conceit and constant asides but if you actually analyze the structure of Deadpool as a film it basically has like, two or three scenes, all of which are either origin or action. It's a super-generic supehero film (that was obviously very cheaply made considering it has like less than a half dozen sets in total) that rises above it with excellent character work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Female solo movie will be done and done by the time Fox gets around to it. Instead go for the first all-female super hero ensemble movie. I'm sure you could make a cool action flick with the likes of Storm, Jean, Rogue, Emma, and Dazzler.

• Locked thread