Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's not always true, because "store brand"is different from store to store. And I've had boxes open back to back to notice actual physical differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Just because something is made in the same facility doesn't mean it's the same product. It's like saying that a steak and a hamburger are the same thing because they both come from the same frying pan.

Some name brands like Listerine have even started putting little notices on their packaging that they do not sell their formulas as store brands because the myth is so prevalent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So this may not be a super dumb thing, but it's something that amused me.

You know those ads law firms put out about class-action suits and "If you took this" or whatever? Well, I saw one a while back that started with "Attention retired NFL players" and I think they may be casting their net a bit too wide. I would think there's a better way of contacting that particular demographic.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Guy Mann posted:

Just because something is made in the same facility doesn't mean it's the same product. It's like saying that a steak and a hamburger are the same thing because they both come from the same frying pan.

I have serious issues with your beef preparation procedures

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Nitrox posted:

That's not always true, because "store brand"is different from store to store. And I've had boxes open back to back to notice actual physical differences.

It might not always be true with all products. What I've seen first hand is that the ingredients and even the process are the same. But the packaging can definitely make the end result very different. In my case, cereal that is dumped directly into the box in the processing facility is a better and fresher product than one that is shipped in bulk to another facility to be packaged as store brands.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Waffleman_ posted:

You know those ads law firms put out about class-action suits and "If you took this" or whatever? Well, I saw one a while back that started with "Attention retired NFL players" and I think they may be casting their net a bit too wide. I would think there's a better way of contacting that particular demographic.

Oh, oh, I saw that one too! I think during a Forensic Files commercial break. I wondered about that, too, but then started to think, the NFL has been a thing for a long time, that may actually be a sizeable group by now, and maybe they honest to god DO just have a really particular and easily targetable taste in television.

But yeah, when I heard it I did a real :crossarms:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yeah NFL rosters are bigger than any other sport, they have full practice teams on top of that, and the average length of career is like a year and a half. Multiply by 32 teams and you've got a pretty sizable chunk of the population.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They're not just targeting them, they're targeting all their friends, family, and co-workers who of course know they used to be in the NFL who may bring it to their attention

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

walrusman posted:

Yeah NFL rosters are bigger than any other sport, they have full practice teams on top of that, and the average length of career is like a year and a half. Multiply by 32 teams and you've got a pretty sizable chunk of the population.

That's not the multiplier. The multiplier is the amount of funds they could conceivably extract from the NFL by a lawsuit. If the pool of potential claimants is only 100 guys but the lawsuit could result in a staggering payout, you run ads to reach those 100 guys.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phanatic posted:

That's not the multiplier. The multiplier is the amount of funds they could conceivably extract from the NFL by a lawsuit. If the pool of potential claimants is only 100 guys but the lawsuit could result in a staggering payout, you run ads to reach those 100 guys.
If its that small I think the question is whether daytime TV ad time or a small collection of PIs is a more cost effective way of reaching them.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I might think a friendly call to the Players' Association would be faster in getting lists of former players.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

oldman posted:

I might think a friendly call to the Players' Association would be faster in getting lists of former players.

Hi, legal entity that represents thousands of people who have a history of getting bilked out of their money? We're a bunch of ambulance chasers, can we have names, addresses, and phone numbers for your clients?

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Speaking of legal commercials or commercials with some form of disclosure: how the gently caress is someone going to reasonably read a giant wall of text that is almost certainly extremely blurry and they don't stick on screen for more than a few seconds at best?

I guess someone could pause it if they have the service but I've seen ones where it's nigh impossible to read even with it paused and your eyeballs as close to the screen as possible?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

stringball posted:

Speaking of legal commercials or commercials with some form of disclosure: how the gently caress is someone going to reasonably read a giant wall of text that is almost certainly extremely blurry and they don't stick on screen for more than a few seconds at best?

I guess someone could pause it if they have the service but I've seen ones where it's nigh impossible to read even with it paused and your eyeballs as close to the screen as possible?

We have dogshit consumer rights.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

stringball posted:

You're not meant to read it, being informed is anathema to those trying to sell you something.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

stringball posted:

"Yes, Your Honor, we may have bilked them out of thousands of dollars, but they knew what they were getting into when they called us. After all, we went to the trouble of putting all the pertinent information in the commercial itself, and as airtime is expensive, we had to put it in a slightly smaller font."

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
There are legal guidelines and minimum fonts for disclaimers in print ads, but as far as I'm aware text for TV is required only to be "legible." I bet that's where the wiggle room comes in. "I don't know, your honor, it's perfectly legible to us!"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

NFL roster during the regular season and playoffs is 53 guys, practice squad is 10 guys (up from 8 a couple years or so ago).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Huntersoninski posted:

There are legal guidelines and minimum fonts for disclaimers in print ads, but as far as I'm aware text for TV is required only to be "legible." I bet that's where the wiggle room comes in. "I don't know, your honor, it's perfectly legible to us!"

*Legible on our 8k 100inch preview setup.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Huntersoninski posted:

Courts aren't dumb. If it came down to that, claiming that illegible text is legible to you would earn you a quick loss.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Waffleman_ posted:

Class actions are dub but also sometimes pretty awesome. I got a bunch of Redbull from one once.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was one for a medicine that I take saying that it gave guys tits.

I wish.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

I wish.

Is it spironolactone? AKA the blood pressure medication also used to suppress testosterone in some MTF transitions?

My dad was put on that and pretty quickly switched when he realized something was up, lol

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Is it spironolactone? AKA the blood pressure medication also used to suppress testosterone in some MTF transitions?

My dad was put on that and pretty quickly switched when he realized something was up, lol

When he bought the sex in the city box set and wine coolers?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

I wish.

Is it Tetrahydrocannabinol? I hear too much of the ganja can result in man tits.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BattleMaster posted:

Naw it's risperdal, I've seen the ads too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TontoCorazon posted:

When he bought the sex in the city box set and wine coolers?

in his words: "when my manboobs started to firm up"

edit: I was on cyproterone acetate for my transition but I could have warned him about spiro if I knew he was put on it

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
There's a shitload of class action lawsuit commercials. The ones I remember are for some hip replacement and the gynecomastia (man tits) one as well. I could swear I saw a new one today though, can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw it's risperdal, I've seen the ads too.

Yeah, it's risperdal. I think the side effects only affected teenagers and I didn't get on it til my 20s.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Tracula posted:

There's a shitload of class action lawsuit commercials. The ones I remember are for some hip replacement and the gynecomastia (man tits) one as well. I could swear I saw a new one today though, can't for the life of me remember what it was.

There's a mesothelioma one I've seen roughly four thousand times.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Also, talcum powder causing cancer.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
The one I signed up for thinking nothing would come from it is an LCD price fixing class action while I was in California. Not sure if it was statewide or nationally but I ended up getting a $150 check from it like a year and half later. But that one I never saw on TV but ended up paying off.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Strudel Man posted:

THATS IT. Thank you. I couldn't recall what it was. That has to be the most :wtc: one I've seen so far.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

The one I signed up for thinking nothing would come from it is an LCD price fixing class action while I was in California. Not sure if it was statewide or nationally but I ended up getting a $150 check from it like a year and half later. But that one I never saw on TV but ended up paying off.

I used to work for a re-seller of LCD TVs. In about 2008, the cartel of panel manufacturers got tired of selling panels at a loss. As such, they shut down distribution to only a select few companies.

Retailers were buying TVs at a loss to the manufacturer, then selling them at a loss, and then making it up on markup on HDMI cables (our cost $6, retail $45) and DVD players (our cost $11, retail $50). Accessory lovely cameras that we got for free as part of a deal and then sold for $60 a piece. I got all of my USB cables free but could still sell them for $10 or so at the time. We got the long tail, and the manufacturers got the shaft.

The panel guys didn't get the upsale portion so they just got screwed. I remember seeing Best Buy selling a TV that I was selling for less than my cost. It was something like $350 for a 42" plasma in 2008. They simply said, "We will no longer sell to you" if you were a small player. It put quite a few companies out of business.

To be fair, the cartel crackdown did get rid of all the insane re-sellers and get the market under control. Price is now stable.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Tracula posted:

There's an ad I've seen and I can't decide if it's horrible or absolutely brilliant.

I can't think of the name of the game but it's some generic F2P crap thing on android, whatever. The ad for it is just anime girls with big tits running at each other, fine, usual fare. What's strange is I've seen a version of the ad where they censor their breasts for absolutely no reason and I cannot seem to dig it up anywhere. Honestly I'm gonna lean towards brilliant on that because it's gonna get dumb, horny gamers to go to the app store and download it out of curiosity if nothing else.

Sorry for being so vague :v: I'm trying to find out what the hell it was, I'll post again if I can dig anything up.

going back a few pages, this is sword of chaos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYwFMQW5N2Y

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

LibrarianCroaker posted:

That is genius marketing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Waffleman_ posted:

Tracula posted:

Bobby Digital posted:

There's a mesothelioma one I've seen roughly four thousand times.

Strudel Man posted:

Every time I run across class-action lawsuit ads on TV, I'm reminded of Lullaby by Chuck Pahlaniuk. For those who haven't read it, there are 2 characters who place fake class-action announcements in the classified sections of newspapers, on the theory that even though their claims are completely fabricated, the companies will pay them just to make them disappear.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten a ton of spam mail about Xarelto or something like that and a class action suit. I am eagerly waiting for the RM3 poo poo to have a class suit. Every other radio commercial is for that poo poo.

Why don't more companies just use coupons or loving free samples? How many of us buy something at Costco we barely looked at because we got a free sample?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Awesome. I had been looking for the censored version but could never dig it up no matter how hard I searched even after remembering the name.

And yeah I have to admit that's loving brilliant marketing to be totally honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Every time I hear the beginning of the Kars 4 Kids jingle, I mute my television. It's so loving annoying that I don't know/have forgotten what the product actually is (probably not tiny automobiles that children can drive).