Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Pretty much. Bomb all the things, make a stone staircase every time you get enough stone ... which happens pretty quick when you bomb all the things. Food drops at a high enough rate that you don't need to bring a whole lot to stay topped off. Also, bring a Totem to teleport yourself home so you can extend your stay until the absolute last possible moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Or just pass out at 2 AM. All you lose is a thousand gold.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
is it possible to make fishing not suck

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Practice :D

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Leveling the fishing skill and eating food that buffs the skill makes the bar larger, plus playing enough should hopefully give you a feel for how the bar works and how to time your presses to hover over the fish without overshooting or how to slow the descent of the bar or whatever else you need to do.

Leveling is important because the first rod upgrade gives bait, which makes fish bite more quickly, with the second rod giving tackle, which do a variety of things including slowing the rate fish escape when not in the bar (and other gimmicky things). There will still be a few high-end fish that require a lot of luck and patience to get, mostly the legendary ones, but otherwise once you've done it enough you'll be getting Perfects more often than not and may even recognize what fish you're about to catch based on its movement patterns.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I just wish getting food buffs for fishing still worked when you hit level 10.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It still does, it makes the bar bigger

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Suspicious Dish posted:

Download the easy fishing patch.

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Suspicious Dish posted:

I play with a PC xbox 360 controller and fishing is actually kind of fun because it really utilizes the rumble function. Not only does it feel more hands on, but you don't have to rely on sound cues to figure out when you need to reel in.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I sucked horribly at fishing and thought it was too hard at first too. But I kept at it and now it is my favorite skill. So, keep trying.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

shitpostmodern posted:

I play with a PC xbox 360 controller and fishing is actually kind of fun because it really utilizes the rumble function. Not only does it feel more hands on, but you don't have to rely on sound cues to figure out when you need to reel in.

Speaking of which, is there any way to turn off rumble for just the horse?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
my main issue is that it takes 10 energy or so per swing and usually takes two hours in a mostly time-constrained day.

is there any way of knowing which foods enlarge the energy bar without looking that up or exploring? i don't want it spoiled but if there's literally no way for me to find out...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

my main issue is that it takes 10 energy or so per swing and usually takes two hours in a mostly time-constrained day.

Fishing will take less energy as you build up your fishing skill. Are you using bait? Bait makes fish bite much more quickly.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
probably not, how do i get bait

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kill lots of bugs in the mines for bug meat, which you can craft into bait. Each cast uses 1 bait. Get a big stack of bait, select it in your inventory, then right-click on your fishing rod to set the whole stack. You need a Fiberglass Rod to use bait, and you'll need to reach Fishing Level 2 before you can buy one.

Once your fishing skill is very high you'll unlock a crafting recipe for Worm Bins, which give you free bait every day.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i have also been keeping two of everything, including stuff like broken cd's and other trash

is there any use for these items or should i just sell them for the slight amount of cash

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

i have also been keeping two of everything, including stuff like broken cd's and other trash

is there any use for these items or should i just sell them for the slight amount of cash

Broken CDs and glasses refine into refined quartz which you need for quality sprinklers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The newspapers are nice too because occasionally you can refine them into cloth, which nets some decent money (though they'll usually give you torches instead). Trash and Driftwood aren't as useful to refine, giving you coal at best.

You can make the Recycling Machine that refines all this stuff once you hit L4 Fishing. Fishing takes a long time at first but becomes quicker once you level it up, especially after you get the Fiberglass Rod and can use bait.

Also always keep an eye out for bubbling spots in the water, fish bite much more quickly in those spots. They'll wear off on their own after a random amount of time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
how do I refine them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You need to hit Fishing Level 4 and craft some Recycling Machines to refine trash into useful resources.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Once you get a couple fishing levels willy will start to sell more stuff, you can also raise your fishing level via crab pots once they are available(level 3 or 5 iirc) and require no fishing, just bait replacing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fishing is very difficult when you first pick it up because it plays like no other fishing minigame I've ever seen.

It's doable, and you get better at it with practice and levelling up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Turns out being able to see the cave ahead in one of those one-button helicopter games is pretty useful.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Yes fishing starts out terrible and then gets easier which is an odd way to do it.

Personally I would have split it so different zones had different difficulties. These would then be offset by your skills and the harder zones would offer better rewards. The beach and the pond on the farm would both be the lowest level.

So even with no skills you would still have a reasonably big bobber and slow fish at the beach and pond.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hated fishing at first because it was hard, but really just stick with it for a few minutes and it gets easier. Also any kind of +fishing food really helps early on. The legendary fish will still take your pole away and gently caress you with it, but they are legendary so, you know.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Woke up today and thought, "You know what I haven't done lately? Stardew Valley. Let's do some of that."

Checked the Steam page and there's a bunch of news, though. Anyone have a basic overview on what's changed? I heard multiplayer was developed, but that's not relevant to my interests.

Any interesting mods you'd recommend?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nothing has changed yet, but version 1.1 is in development:

quote:

More late-game content
New farm buildings
New crops
New artisan goods
New advanced farming/producing mechanics
Shane and Emily will be marriage candidates. They will also have more events and dialogue as a result.
More marriage content for all spouses
More events for the non-marriage NPC’s
Improvements/Additions to mining and combat
Ability to move buildings and other convenience features
More bug fixes
More secrets
More small, fun touches to the world
(note: anything in this list is subject to change)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So I got a prismatic shard. Would I be dumb to give it to Gunther?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't give him your first one, there are better uses for it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Once you unlocked a certain location, holding the shard in an odd-looking spot will get you something great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

If you can understand Dwarfish, try reading the gravestones in town first.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Red_Fred posted:

Hold off and give him the second one you find. The first one will help out if you find the right place for it.

The desert in the center of the rods

Yields the best sword in the game.

TurnipFritter posted:

Nothing has changed yet, but version 1.1 is in development:

quote:

Shane and Emily will be marriage candidates. They will also have more events and dialogue as a result.

Clint is gonna be pissed.

Malek fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 6, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mega64 posted:

Once you unlocked a certain location, holding the shard in an odd-looking spot will get you something great.

I got that in a fortune cookie once.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

MrSlam posted:

I got that in a fortune cookie once.

I get all my Stardew hints from fortune cookies and books I fish up from the river.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mega64 posted:

I get all my Stardew hints from fortune cookies and books I fish up from the river.

do you live in a van by said river

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Coolguye posted:

do you live in a van by said river

I hear he lives in the old, over-grown farm to the west, not much of a talker though, always "people watching" through bushes and trying to curry favor through gifts.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
They keep telling me grandpa was a farmer but I'm beginning to suspect he had a drinking problem and everyone was just humoring him.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

MrSlam posted:

They keep telling me grandpa was a farmer but I'm beginning to suspect he had a drinking problem and everyone was just humoring him.

He was holding on to something, that's for sure. Some say he hasn't really left either, so they built him a shrine to haunt.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Stardew's got a tradition: Every generation gets someone with PTSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Malek posted:

Hold off and give him the second one you find. The first one will help out if you find the right place for it.

The desert in the center of the rods

Yields the best sword in the game.

Clint is gonna be pissed.
[/quote]

Strangely enough when I went back to the desert to get that I got another. So that makes two in a row. I thought those things were super rare?