Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ewe2 posted:

The DD's dont think Labor can get in either, but if the current distress of David Cameron is anything to go by, it might just be the best election to lose right now. Until the LNP/IPA's ideas are run into the ground so that even the most thick marginal seat voter can see they've got no clue, I do fail to see how they're going to learn otherwise. It's the death of the ideology that's needed, whoever tries to put the best face on it as PM.

A hung parliament helmed by the Liberals isn't just the most likely result going forward, it's also probably the best one. It'll put the biggest meter on the Liberal's policies possible, maybe even getting some non-poo poo policies through, but will still certifiably leave them holding the ball when the housing bubble bursts. I feel like there's probably not a whole lot they can call up in their defense that'll stick in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's dated 2014 m8

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

is this supposed to be a troll? idgi

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
yeah it's more of IT"S AN OUTRAGE IT IS

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Colour me suprised...

Baird budget cuts spark ICAC 'funding crisis'

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/baird-budget-cuts-spark-icac-funding-crisis-20160603-gpb1a9.html

Rheese muldoon has a lot to answer for imo

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Kittens:

They've grown up so fast :3:

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Australia is a huge country with a shitload of empty space with almost no people in the centre. It is utter madness to kowtow to a tiny population RE the perfect spot for a nuclear storage facility when any other group would have it resumed in a heartbeat.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Source your quotes

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

LibertyCat posted:

Australia is a huge country with a shitload of empty space with almost no people in the centre. It is utter madness to kowtow to a tiny population RE the perfect spot for a nuclear storage facility when any other group would have it resumed in a heartbeat.
Ok, we'll just store it in your place, it'd be utter madness to kowtow to you.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Why don't we just seal the stuff in concrete and steel and dump it in a deep part of the ocean? If you design the container right it should bury itself pretty deep in the sediment.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

CrazyTolradi posted:

Ok, we'll just store it in your place, it'd be utter madness to kowtow to you.

I'd happily store it next door for 1/10th the amount of bribe money typically being proposed.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

LibertyCat posted:

I'd happily store it next door for 1/10th the amount of bribe money typically being proposed.
No, it has to be in your place, since you're so ready to revoke the property rights (that you hold so precious and dear) of others.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

CrazyTolradi posted:

No, it has to be in your place, since you're so ready to revoke the property rights (that you hold so precious and dear) of others.

I'd have zero problems donating the same proportion of my land that a nuclear facility would take up in other people's communities.

Take this article from Green Left Weekly yesterday.

quote:

Locating the dump there, McKenzie told the Guardian in February, would be an attack on the traditional owners' belief system.

“It's an insult to our culture,” McKenzie explained to Green Left Weekly. “The place where they want to put it is very significant for the Adnyamathanha people.

“We hunt and gather in the Wallerberdina area. We're the traditional owners.”

and from here

quote:

Grant Chapman owns the long-term lease to Wallerberdina, a station near Barndioota in the Flinders Ranges about 40 kilometres north-west of Hawker, which is currently used to graze cattle

Mr Chapman said if approved, a proposed nuclear storage facility would eventually occupy 100 hectares in the northern section of the 25,000-hectare property.

Boo loving hoo. Australians constantly have their land resumed because society needs roads, trainlines etc. This is the equivalent to losing 4m^2 on a quarter acre block for a massive benefit to society.

Hell given the money being thrown around, if it bothered me that much... I'd just buy somewhere else?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Are you against landowners having the right to choose whether they want radioactive waste on their property or not?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gay picnic defence posted:

Why don't we just seal the stuff in concrete and steel and dump it in a deep part of the ocean? If you design the container right it should bury itself pretty deep in the sediment.
Because of all the ecosystems on the planet deep ocean ones are the ones we know least about?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I don't see radioactive storage as particularly worse than land resumed for a highway. They aren't even the owners in any case, just using religious fairy-tale hocus-pocus as the justification. I respect the Vatican because an enormous amount of manpower went into building it. I don't respect Ayers Rock as sacred because it's a big rock that got found.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

LibertyCat posted:

Hell given the money being thrown around, if it bothered me that much... I'd just buy somewhere else?

Or, put another way 'I have absolutely no understanding whatsoever of indigenous culture and connection to land'.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Tomberforce posted:

Or, put another way 'I have absolutely no understanding whatsoever of indigenous culture and connection to land'.

I think it's complete bullshit, yes. Belief systems are man-made and there is no reason they should be considered equal.

I don't see why having the "oldest continuing culture in the world" is something to boast about when practically it resulted in a terrible quality of life for its practitioners.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

I think it's complete bullshit, yes. Belief systems are man-made and there is no reason they should be considered equal.

I don't see why having the "oldest continuing culture in the world" is something to boast about when practically it resulted in a terrible quality of life for its practitioners.

Pretty sure that the indigenous owners of Australia were doing just fine before your ancestors came along and stole their land.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Have you ever spent time on country with an aboriginal person?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Guuuuuuuuuuuyyyyss heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'sssss troooooooooolllllllllllinnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Frogmanv2 posted:

Pretty sure that the indigenous owners of Australia were doing just fine before your ancestors came along and stole their land.

Would you like to give up modern medicine, electricity, transportation, contraception etc? If your wife has problems in pregnancy, wouldn't you miss a trained professional with modern imaging gear?

Also - I am honestly not trolling. The "Noble Savage" myth is just that.

e: also that is another downside to their culture of "don't develop new technologies". The first time you meet a culture without that belief, you lose.

Tomberforce posted:

Have you ever spent time on country with an aboriginal person?

No. I'm sure they were brought up to believe it's very special to them. Someone with the same genetics, brought up in a different culture, would not.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 4, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If it's of such benefit to society why not stick it next to a major transport hub, like say Port Melbourne?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Don't read the comments

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

DancingShade posted:

If it's of such benefit to society why not stick it next to a major transport hub, like say Port Melbourne?

With adequate security it wouldn't really bother me, but why use valuable land with a high population density when you could use some in the middle of nowhere with no-one (in comparison) nearby to whinge?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

LibertyCat, you're a poo poo troll or you're a hypocrite. "I'd gladly give my land for this, this clearly justifies us resuming land against the wishes and rights of the land owners."

I guess property rights only matter when it's YOUR property rights that are being defended, though.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Please quote where I said Property Rights are Absolute and can never be violated under any circumstance.

I wouldn't be happy about losing some of my land for a trainline, but if society needed it (and I got compensated) I'd accept it as the price for living on a planet with other people. Just like when I drive on roads, I take advantage of land lost by other people previously.

We are talking about a tiny portion of one station, and the co-owner of the property proposed the idea in the first place. The people whinging probably never set foot there until this came up.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 4, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LibertyCat posted:

Please quote where I said Property Rights are Absolute and can never be violated under any circumstance.

That might be hard with the extent you edit your own posts.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I've spent the last 5 years working with remote communities and am currently in the NT where I was speaking at the national native title conference. I'm not even close to remotely understanding the depth, complexity and interconnectedness of aboriginal culture. Every time I go onto country, I make new connections and learn new things. The arrogance and pig headedness of some Australians to dismiss the entire culture without knowing even the first thing about it always astonishes me.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
LibertyCat is a good gimmick account, you have to admit.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Can we swap LibertyCat for Negligent?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Snod. posted:

I think we have.

DancingShade posted:

LibertyCat is a good gimmick account, you have to admit.

I'm still waiting for the IWC reveal. I know you all don't think it could be him, that IWC would be more subtle. But I choose to believe.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Snod. posted:

Can we swap both for the sweet release of death?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

hooman posted:

Can we swap both for the sweet release of death?

I think that's the only choice my friend

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
up up UP!

quote:

After banks put the brakes on lending to property investors in 2015, several are now easing off the pressure and trying to spur on more borrowing among buyers who drove the recent housing boom.

The changes are intended to lift banks' loan growth after a regulatory crackdown, but economists also say stronger lending to property investors could create new risks, amid signs house prices are heating up again.

In what mortgage brokers say is a clear trend, several banks have recently shown a greater willingness to lend for property investment.

Westpac, the country's biggest lender to landlords, this week began allowing customers to include the tax benefits from negative gearing in their loan assessments, unwinding changes made last year, and last month it started accepting smaller deposits from investors.

Bank of Queensland last month raised its maximum loan to valuation ratio (LVR) for investors to 90 per cent, from 80 per cent, a change that allows investors to have smaller deposits.

Australia's biggest credit union, CUA, also lifted its maximum LVR to 85 per cent, from 70 per cent.

Other banks are using the other big "lever" at their disposal to ramp up growth – price.

Fixed rate cuts
Lenders including Bankwest, ME and UBank have cut three-year fixed rates for investors below 4 per cent, and brokers say lenders including Commonwealth Bank are prepared to offer discounts of up to 1.5 per cent off their advertised interest rates.

The changes follow a near halving in housing investor credit growth, from a peak of 11 per cent a year in 2015 to 6.5 per cent, after the banking regulator capped growth in this market at 10 per cent a year.

"Banks don't want to miss the market," said chief executive of Mortgage Choice, John Flavell.

"If the market has come off a bit for investors, and it has done, then you can turn around and moderate your policies and your pricing to get your loan growth up towards your cap.

"And that's exactly what's happened. But it's for Australian income-earning investors, not those overseas."

APRA's cooling move
A boom in lending to housing investors was a key factor behind fears of an overheating housing market in Sydney and Melbourne in recent years, which prompted the 10 per cent cap from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.

To comply with the cap, banks slashed how much they would lend borrowers through tougher rules on deposits, borrower income, and by charging investors higher interest rates.

Head of product at CUA, Mark Petty, said its changes were aimed at lifting growth up closer towards 10 per cent, though investor lending only accounts for about a quarter of its home lending. Other lenders have made similar changes, he says.

"Clearly they have managed down their balance growth to below 10 per cent, in accordance with APRA's direction, and they are seeing opportunities to grow again," Mr Petty said.

Competition resumes
Managing director of mortgage broker Homeloanexperts.com.au, Otto Dargan, said several lenders, including Commonwealth Bank, had become more competitive in their home loan pricing for investors in recent months, by offering lower interest rates.

These lower interest rates are not always publicly promoted, but can include discounts off the standard variable rate for investors of up to 1.5 per cent.

"The name of the game is to get as close to the 10 per cent APRA target without going over it," Mr Dargan said.

However, the banks' change in tack comes as house price growth has returned, with figures this week showing Sydney prices jumped 3.6 per cent in May, and 1.6 per cent in Melbourne.

If the growth continues, APRA and the Reserve Bank may need to consider lowering the 10 cent cap on investor credit growth, some economists say.

Too cautious?
AMP Capital chief economist Shane Oliver said APRA's 10 per cent cap appeared "quite excessive in the scheme of things" when compared with the much slower growth in household incomes.

Stronger growth in housing investor lending, which was suggested by recent housing finance approvals, would be a concern because household debt and house prices are already at very high levels, he said.

When there are also fears of an apartment glut in some inner-city areas, Dr Oliver said the prospect of looser credit standards and stronger growth in housing investor debt amplified the potential for serious problems to emerge, if there was a slump in house prices.

"The higher prices are when that occurs, then the greater the risk is of a sharp destabilising fall," he said.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/banks-reopen-the-door-to-property-investors-20160602-gp9r5o.html

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
you guys really loving suck at being not baited

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

We might be a lot of things but we aren't clever

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

you guys really loving suck at being not baited

Here's a tip